your favorite quotes

mawd_luva

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.

- George Bernard Shaw

Yeah, so the conclusion is to be responsibly drunk and a responsible believer (e.i. not a zealot or something).

Here's a good one:

"Going to church and calling yourself a Christian is like standing in a garage and calling yourself a car. "

Substitute it with any religion.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. Brom

At some point, a line has to be drawn one way or another on everything. Me

No matter what happens, it can always get worse. Unknown

True Hell is not known by the body. It's known by the heart and soul. Me

It's not the dishonest ones that you need to worry about. It's the honest ones, because you never know when they'll do something really, really stupid. Captain Jack Sparrow

Want to know why your life sucks? Look in the mirror, look that person square in the eye, and state exactly what you've done to truly help out others. Karma is always with us. Me

Given the proper amount of time and resources, if you can think it, it can be done. Me

The single worst thing someone can do isn't commit evil. It is to sit there and ignore it. Unknown (may be paraphrased)

I can think of some more if you wish.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't.

It is good that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it.

Where one burns books, one will, in the end, burn people"

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

- H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Lady Astor: If I were your wife, I'd put poison in your coffee.

Winston Churchill: If I were your husband, I'd drink it.

And the extended quote from my signature:

Vila: Have you thought of another plan?

Avon: Yes, I'm going to get some sleep.

Vila: How can you sleep with all this happening?

Avon: With all what happening? Blake is sitting up in a tree. Travis is sitting up in another tree. Unless they're planning to throw nuts at one another, I don't see much of a fight developing before it gets light.

Gan: You're never involved are you Avon? Have you ever cared for anyone?

Vila: Except yourself?

Avon: I've never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care, or indeed why it should be necessary to prove it at all.

Vila: Was that an insult, or did I miss something?

Cally: You missed something.

Whoever does not have the stomach for this fight, let him depart. Give him money to speed his departure since we wish not to die in that man's company. Whoever lives past today and comes home safely will rouse himself every year on this day, show his neighbor his scars, and tell embellished stories of all their great feats of battle. These stories he will teach his son and from this day until the end of the world we shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for whoever has shed his blood with me shall be my brother. And those men afraid to go will think themselves lesser men as they hear of how we fought and died together.

- Shakespeare's Henry V

To Thine Own Self Be True

- Shakespeare's Hamlet

Probably this, although that they're lyrics, I always have them quoted somewhere I can see them...

So long astoria; I found a map to buried treasure, and even if we come home empty handed we'll still have our stories of battle scars, pirate ships and wounded hearts, broken bones, and all the best of friendships, and when this hourglass has filtered out its final grain of sand, i'll raise my glass to the memories we had

I always loved that quote. Kinda just says do things for the hell of it, and the adventure, rather than just what you're gonna get out of it materially.

logo.jpg

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

"Whether you believe you can do something or you believe you cannot, either way, you are correct."

It's something along those lines anyway. Not sure who it's by but it is the only quote that springs to mind that I particularly like.

iteme3721.jpg

"Remember: When you've done something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." -talking galaxy on Futurama.

*And "A hero is more than a person, a hero is a belief. A belief that, against impossible odds, the world can be savedÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

sublimer1990.png

"For Great Justice, Take Off Every Zig"

Bubsa, what you say! Captain, you have no chance survive, make your time!

I have a degree in Engrish.

For those who have no idea what's going on

Hmm...

These aren't the droids we're looking for...

I am the Walrus!

Insert random sappy message on life or something here

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

I am the Walrus!

:XD: I haven't heard that song in such a long time. That just reminded me of this as well. . .

Bang, bang, Maxwell's silver hammer

Came down upon her head

-- do do do doo do --

Bang, bang, Maxwell's sliver hammer

Made sure that she was dead!

p2gq.jpg

"It'll be just like a walk in the park!"

"What, you mean people will mug us and kick us viciously in the ribs?"

-Rincewind, the eternal coward.

"You can't trample infidels when you're a tortoise. I mean, all you could do is give them a meaningful look."

-The Great God Om (Holy Horns) on Tortoises.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men