a theory on why Jagex doesn't fully shut down RSC

ixfd64

It seems that Jagex is trying really hard to kill RS Classic, but hasn't actually shut down the game.

I think I may know why. I vaguely remember that when EA's game Earth & Beyond shut down, I read about a law such that it would be legal to emulate an online service if it has been shut down completely.

I'm not sure if there is such a law, but if there is, it may explain why Jagex doesn't shut down Classic. Although RSC is nearly dead, it is still legally active, so it would be illegal to emulate (create private servers of) it. However, if Jagex shut down the game, then it would be legally dead, and thus legal to create private servers.

Since Jagex does not want people to create private servers for RS Classic, it still keeps the game "alive." Thus, Jagex pushes RSC to the point of death but doesn't actually kill it.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

It seems that Jagex is trying really hard to kill RS Classic, but hasn't actually shut down the game.

I think I may know why. I vaguely remember that when EA's game Earth & Beyond shut down, I read about a law such that it would be legal to emulate an online service if it has been shut down completely.

I'm not sure if there is such a law, but if there is, it may explain why Jagex doesn't shut down Classic. Although RSC is nearly dead, it is still legally active, so it would be illegal to emulate (create private servers of) it. However, if Jagex shut down the game, then it would be legally dead, and thus legal to create private servers.

Since Jagex does not want people to create private servers for RS Classic, it still keeps the game "alive." Thus, Jagex pushes RSC to the point of death but doesn't actually kill it.

More than likely, it was obvious from day 1 that Jagex's real competition for Rs2 was itself (Rsc) that's why they actively tried to have people quit in a number of different ways:

No highscores

No new updates

No banning autoers

Fewer Servers

Inactivity ban/wipe

Personally i've always believed Rsc to be the better game anyway, i see nothing but flaws in Rs2 :-#

Whiterob10 was better then zorro for sure :P

Adx1's Rsc Kills

http://www.photobucket.com

Username = adxx1

Password = read only

i have to go with adx on this one i have unconventional love for rsc whereas rs2 is whatr i play merely because i knew rsc would get, if not killed, than majorly wounded from the moment they launched rs2 for real.

but if you search for private servers you'll find tons already, illegal or not.

There are currently many RSC private servers, one is even claimed to be almost perfect copy of RSC. (RSCdaemon)

Thanks for pointing out this theory, it can be very likely true.

My goals:
[b]5M coins:[/b] 4350K+ coins 200k+ items - 2 dec 
5M coins - 16 dec
I [b]have gotten[/b] my 5M by christmas.

-bah this is only here for historical purposes now, I got 20m+ already

"fail,well atleast the title,i wont read it with that colours"

"If you hadn't posted in rainbow I would actually give this a proper read"

"Colours suck."

*I remove colours*

"Where did all the colors go!? This is now 40% more likely to be tl;dr'd due to the lack of colors."

wouldnt matter, jagex is supposedly releasing a new game next year so im sure they will do the same thing to rs2.

a

if it attracts a diffrent crowd of people, they won't.... besides there is a diffrence between "upgrading" something to a newer version, then slowely letting go of the other AND setting up a whole new diffrent game...

• 2 weeks later...
There are currently many RSC private servers, one is even claimed to be almost perfect copy of RSC. (RSCdaemon)

it was better version of rsc :P and jagex closed it :( it was very fun to play there was no autoers (maybe few but they got banned really fast) just when we got r2h's and rune fulls they shut it down #-o

stonedonmoo-99mager.jpg

it was better version of rsc :P and jagex closed it :( it was very fun to play there was no autoers (maybe few but they got banned really fast) just when we got r2h's and rune fulls they shut it down #-o

storkpk is like this total noob game lol.. it sucks big time

never tried rscdaemon tho

It's maybe better JAGeX keeps classic ran just for the sake of it. If they sell it, a little of the magic of classic will be gone. Yes, it will be possible to PK etc like in the early days, but will it be as fun? I don't think so.

signature4s.jpg

It's maybe better JAGeX keeps classic ran just for the sake of it. If they sell it, a little of the magic of classic will be gone. Yes, it will be possible to PK etc like in the early days, but will it be as fun? I don't think so.

Erm, yes it would be.

sounds logical to me. imo there are still 2.000+ people who would love to play old runescape classic and would be willing to pay. I do not understand why Jagex let 10k bucks per months go down the drain ... :wall:

Runescape Classic only ~ *
---------------------------------------------------------

D A V I [107] - main, D A V__I [85] - pure

davigifaustinrut.gif

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the game was called RS Daemon. I wish Jagex would do something about those. I know a really big one that the Tip.It admins won't let you say (it'll just get replaced with "[Forbidin cheat site]"), but I'll tell you that it's probably the biggest one around and it even lets you create your own server.

rsc was a great game, i loved the way certain items looked. however rs2 has a huge advantage and that is u get exp in the middle of fights, each hit in rsc u got exp after u killed teh guy. id say yuor theory is pretty correct. i see nothing wrong with private servers, look at WOW (world of warcraft) lots of ppl have pirvate servers. they ahve fun with them. jagex doesnt like that or account sharing which is very common in WOW. account sharing i never really understand what they have against that

wouldnt matter, jagex is supposedly releasing a new game next year so im sure they will do the same thing to rs2.

a

Errr...

NO.

Read this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7090490.stm

Dedicated fans need not worry though as, said Mr Iddison, Runescape will be the main investment focus for Jagex for the next five years.
Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Quite possible.

Stork was forced to shut his server down by lawyers, same with RSCD.

In my opinion, private servers only help runescape, since most of them are so terrible.

And to llamster, they are coming out with a new set of games, but are only single player. Runescape will surely go on for years to come.

Twc

sig.jpg

The Heart of a Fool is in his mouth, while the mouth of a Wise Man is in his heart.

- Ben Franklin

i wish that they got rid of the if u dont play classic for 6 months u cant play anymore because i had an account and i loved playing classic but then my computer stopped working for a long time and when it was fixed i couldnt play anymore

*-P.K.Masters-* |5+ Years of Experience|F2P Events|Cmb: 95+

i wish that they got rid of the if u dont play classic for 6 months u cant play anymore because i had an account and i loved playing classic but then my computer stopped working for a long time and when it was fixed i couldnt play anymore

Did your house have the only computer in the village ? :lol: