26 November 2007 - The Grand Exchange

Jeffery

I find it anoying that I have to make an offer. I'd rather like to browse through and see all the different prices for that current item.

99 ranged | 99 magic | 99 defence | 99 hitpoints

Remember, it's just a game

Feel free to add me on RS. :) Always ready for a chat.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I just missing it or is there no way to just browse what is being offered for sale without putting in a buy offer?

You are correct, there is no browsing possible. You can place a sell offer or you can place a buy offer. And the system will match the offers and make the transaction.

I think they implemented it this way to reduce the stress on the servers. The matching is done on server side on the dedicated DB and that's it. Otherwise, they would have to allow each client to the access the list of all items for sale and I can imagine the traffic it will generate.

The only drawback I can see to this is that you need to know your price. When you sell, but also when you buy.

103 combat | 1M+ xp in each skill (lvl73) | 1800+ skill total | quest cape

Level 86 herblore, 85 farming

Almost everyone will sell for the highest and buy for the lowest...which could be a problem.

Thats jus how markets work, the willingness of people to buy and sell at these inital prices will ultimately effect future market prices...

Avid43.png

so far, no complaints...

This update actually makes merchanting easier(to the extent that it is foreveryone easier...)

the problem is, it's only 5 percent, which at low number(such as raw materials) leaves very little room for price difference...

Almost everyone will sell for the highest and buy for the lowest...which could be a problem.

I have 47 prayer pots (4) in there for the lowest price available. Knock yourself out.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

From the KB:

The Grand Exchange will always try to find you a good price, and it may cost you less than you have offered. You may end up buying from a number of players at different prices, but they will never cost more than you have offered per item.

Quite smart :D

99 ranged | 99 magic | 99 defence | 99 hitpoints

Remember, it's just a game

Feel free to add me on RS. :) Always ready for a chat.

lol, if you offer the right price, you can buy something in around 10 seconds. Be careful though peeps, I would learn all the controls first. I ended up buying a veracs skirt for 450k instead of 430k #-o

Goldenjkered.png

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenjkered

Am I just missing it or is there no way to just browse what is being offered for sale without putting in a buy offer?

You are correct, there is no browsing possible. You can place a sell offer or you can place a buy offer. And the system will match the offers and make the transaction.

This is going to be a big problem.. at least at first and perhaps beyond that.

Suppose I offer to sell a widget at 10k and someone else offers to buy at 9k. We might both be willing to compromise at 9.5k but right now neither of us can find out that the other even exists.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Suppose I offer to sell a widget at 10k and someone else offers to buy at 9k. We might both be willing to compromise at 9.5k but right now neither of us can find out that the other even exists.

Yup but it'll probably make the prices pretty stable because people learn what price will sell or get you the item.

Come dance.

Potkuassa.png

Really liking the update, great for clearing my bank.

Some people have grasped the wrong end of the stick about how the prices are set. Jagex do not control the prices, only what they started at, as people buy things cheaper the price will decrease, and the same for increasing, jagex do not control the prices.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

This is great. Already sold 7M + worth of junk in my bank, with another 6M or so in the exchange and another 5M or so in my bank probably :o
Please like die or something

10.5M up now, still plenty left to sell.

Call me if you ever get wounded, I'll be ready with a bag of salt.

Come dance.

Potkuassa.png

I'm not sure, but I think you can just search and look at the market price for items without putting in a offer, but you can't specifically see if an item is available at that price.

I think the whole idea is that you have no idea who you're buying from.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Yep, would be nice if there was haggling allowed. It seems everything is automated so you cannot be in contact with other players through the exchange.

Yes, it won't be easy for low-supply items. Theoretically the most common items will even out as there will be many traders. But it won't be easy for the rare ones, you will need a lot of patience, multiple tries or use of a more traditional method (RSOF, world 2, etc.)

I don't know the time-out period for an offer. The KB says your offer will not be completed if noone buys/sells, but how long will it stay valid? Forever? 1 day? 1 week? There are many gray zones in the KB article and I wonder why... For example, what are the tradeable items that cannot be exchanged in the GE?

103 combat | 1M+ xp in each skill (lvl73) | 1800+ skill total | quest cape

Level 86 herblore, 85 farming