Why don't we have a sky render?

Fredz

If they added a sky everyone would get paranoid it would fall down and destroy RS just like all recent updates.

Agreed, i think it would destroy rs, kill the economy, make all our previous work useless and like, umm, what else is there... ruin rs forever.... OH and they'd be copying WOW! (i'm assuming WOW has skies)

I think it would not only look weird, but this would add to the amount of objects that need to be processed, thus decreasing performance, especially for those with older computers.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

Play RS with the screen set to a high camera angle and you don't need to worry about the sky. :D

Ignoring the problem does not make it any less of a problem.

I think it would not only look weird, but this would add to the amount of objects that need to be processed, thus decreasing performance, especially for those with older computers.

Currently, my computer can easily handle Runescape on high detail, and I'm sure there are many out there like me. They could add a very high detail mode, with sky etc.

I'm sure the sky render could change depending on where you are, and disappear completely when you go underground. It could work.

bewatchingyousigau4.gif

[260+ Quest Points] [All Skills 50+] [Lv 97 Combat]

Play RS with the screen set to a high camera angle and you don't need to worry about the sky. :D

Ignoring the problem does not make it any less of a problem.

I was trying to be humorous, but unfortunately I forgot that the internet is serious business.

The lack of a sky has just never bothered me I guess.

This is for sure not a new thought. Ever since RS2 was released it has been a disscussion about a sky. Many times people have thought that one BTS article has meant that there will be a sky, but it has always been something else.

Myself I would love to see a sky in RS. It doesn't need to have clouds, but it would be nice if it was at least a little more than just a blue roof. I'm pretty sure of that this wouldn't take so much time and too much work from Jagex's side.

But why haven't they already added it yet? Maybe it's because they haven't found it important enough? I don't know actually. The only ones who know the answer of that question works at Jagex.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I don't care about a sky.

What I really want Jagex to do is to allow the camera to dip below horizontal level. That way, we can actually see the ceilings of buildings while inside. :D That is, if they decide to actually add the ceilings if they implemented such an update (right now, the surfaces facing downward are completely black).

I'm thinking that they'll eventually do that. :-k

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Awww did someone have a bowl of sadness for breakfast?

best come back i heard ever since the 3rd grade, lets get real people if your going to bring intelligent to an argument or flame some1 at least try .

I don't care about a sky.

What I really want Jagex to do is to allow the camera to dip below horizontal level. That way, we can actually see the ceilings of buildings while inside. :D That is, if they decide to actually add the ceilings if they implemented such an update (right now, the surfaces facing downward are completely black).

I'm thinking that they'll eventually do that. :-k

i agree, things could be introduced that i like better then a sky. and the camera angle, could do better... people on a hill clearly have a better advantage to visual distance, for example RC pkers can stand on "hills" which are small mounds, their visual area is 10 times that of a RCer

With the current game angles the sky wouldn't be too visible anyways; They'd need to introduce zelda-like 3rd person view or just a first-person view camera (wouldn't mind either).

What I really want Jagex to do is to allow the camera to dip below horizontal level.

Yeah, that would make sense and make the game more appealing.. :)

I, too, found it a bit strange they just abandoned this idea all of a sudden. A 'sky' with features such as day & night was promised when RS2 was being developed. Apparently this was either too time-consuming to code in Java, or too big of a strain on the servers.. Who knows.

Awww did someone have a bowl of sadness for breakfast?

best come back i heard ever since the 3rd grade, lets get real people if your going to bring intelligent to an argument or flame some1 at least try .

... :lol:

There are so many mistakes in what you just posted... and you were harassing my intelligence?

Argument? Where? I purposely did not respond to your blatant attempt to troll and to start a quarrel.

I am guessing that you are not old enough to be on these forums, let alone Runescape, and I believe that it is past your bedtime.

8-)

oversized.jpg[/bads]

Seeing as we cant really see the sky because the camera wont let us, it wouldnt be a point.

However, they could expand the viewable area around your character soo you can see everything that is possible to see instead of seeing a black wall that moves away from you as you aproach it.

I know this will be a problem in places like world 2 and other over crowded areas but they could have a set amount of movable graphics (players, npc's) kinda like what happens now when your in crowded areas.

With the current game angles the sky wouldn't be too visible anyways; They'd need to introduce zelda-like 3rd person view or just a first-person view camera (wouldn't mind either).

What I really want Jagex to do is to allow the camera to dip below horizontal level.

Yeah, that would make sense and make the game more appealing.. :)

Not to mention the fact that I keep losing targets in the Wilderness because I can't see up the bloody hills. Being able to change the camera angle would make my job far easier.

I love how some people get so defensive over such sad sad little things...not naming any names you know who you are :)

Personally I've never paid attention to anything above the horizon and likely never will. I play RS for the unreality of it not the realistic aspects, so sky = who cares.

Theres a good article that I think speaks wonders about subjects like this, you might recognize it :lol:

[hide]

Realistic Games? No thanks.

The Editor

Ah yes, the video game Next Gen Wars. You hear about them everyday, games that ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åare the futureÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

a sky renderer would be good only if Jagex changed the way the camera works. allowing it to zoom and to go up or down would be awesome.

The internet: A place where the men are men, the women are men, and 13 year old girls are FBI agents.
looks like WoW's interface.

Were you too lazy to read 3 posts above or too stupid to comprehend it?

Brothers and sisters, I have none, but that man's father is my father's son. Who is that man?