Zombie Plans-Revised

scootlaboot

I suppose so. And we would need to have high up towers, an army of zombies could knock over a tree.

sighuoj.png

-.-

Seriously, they could :lol:

Anyways. Zombies aren't going to be our only problem, we're going to need to deal with everything. As in disese, droughts, floods, storms, raiders...Everything. We need to find a means of obtaining that at our base.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once we got to a decently defendable area, supplies would be more of a problem than food. If we were somewhere above the snowline, zombies would freeze for 4-7ish months of the year (More if you go really north). This would allow us to scavenge, but I doubt it would be enough. But, if we hunted, and stocked up on food from when we could grow it, we'd probably make it. As for snipers, everyone in our group should be able to fill that role. We don't need to worry about picking a zombie off at 1000 yards away. After all, they come to us. As long as we have people who can shoot them in the head at a decent distance, we'll be ok.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I don't think snipers would be needed. I mean, sure, they would help, but 10 or so people shouldn't just stand around waiting and watching all day, they can help build/cook or whatever, and in an emergency run up and start unloading.

If you don't like the word "sniper", then think of them as either stationary scouts or aggressive defense. By their very nature, they have a large attack radius and an even larger spot radius. Set up some towers on the perimeter wall, and put snipers on there, have them rotate out at reasonable shifts for how many people you have. Unless if a raider sniper takes a pot shot while the sniper isn't looking, they will be able to alert you if there's activity. They're damn good for scanning an area when trained, as well.

Standard equipment for EVERYBODY in the team when on an excursion from the camp should be as follows; 3-5 knives, 1-2 hatchets/tomahawks, 1 crowbar, 1 first aid kit, 2 sidearms (same gun, preferably), primary weapon, secondary weapon (preferably shotgun or other close-medium range weapon), lots of ammo (pre-loaded into clips/magazines if applicable, stored in most convenient place), emergency rations (enough to provide a day's worth of travel, at least). This way, they're prepared for any event, even one where they need to go a good distance away from base, and are able to hold their own. If you didn't bring a melee weapon as your secondary, the crowbar and hatchets/tomahawks will do nicely for improvised weaponry. Both can go through a human skull when wielded by someone who knows even a little what they're doing. Knives should be used as weapons only when all other weapons are exhausted or you need to kill a human quickly and quietly. Rest is common sense.

Being out in a mid-river island is an alright enough plan. Easily defendable, comparatively easy escape, and (depending on the river) a near-constant food and/or water supply. There ARE some big problems, though. The rushing water will drown out the sound of most ambushes, making your anti-raider defense somewhat weaker. The NEED for a bridge or some other mode of crossing the river makes you vulnerable to sieges, if you want to keep your base. The confined space will make having any decent sized group very difficult without expanding onto the riverbed, rendering the island as a head "castle" rather than the fort itself (might not be a bad thing for militarized groups). Resources besides the food and water will likely be scarce on this island, necessitating constant contact with the other sides of the river. It will need moderately higher vigilance than other areas, but it is definitely one of the best for lasting a while. Don't forget to build a strong bridge!

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Mosquito Spray.

We were talking about this in the locker room after soccer practice this morning.

The one thing that we need was a [cabbage] load of bug spray/zappers.

Think about it, a mosquito bites a Zombie, doesn't become infected, but carries Zombie blood. Then it bites one of us, and then lays eggs... and they spawn mosquito zombies.

And, are we the last of the population? Or are we a "tribe" of the last remnants of the human race?

~Knotch

Mosquito Spray.

We were talking about this in the locker room after soccer practice this morning.

The one thing that we need was a [cabbage] load of bug spray/zappers.

Think about it, a mosquito bites a Zombie, doesn't become infected, but carries Zombie blood. Then it bites one of us, and then lays eggs... and they spawn mosquito zombies.

And, are we the last of the population? Or are we a "tribe" of the last remnants of the human race?

~Knotch

All animals and insects can detect that it's a zombie, and stay the f#ck away from them. Mosquito spray, bug zappers, and mosquito nets are all advised, though. The zombie virus isn't the only one to worry about.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

The main hole in the river/island stronghold idea though is that (due to the fact that zombies don't need oxygen) they can walk underwater, so a 24/7 watch would need to be maintained on our perimeter.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

The main hole in the river/island stronghold idea though is that (due to the fact that zombies don't need oxygen) they can walk underwater, so a 24/7 watch would need to be maintained on our perimeter.

Humans aren't dense enough (usually :lol: ) to walk on the bottom of a body of water that is depper then they are tall. Providing there is a current, they would just be taken downstream.

Humans aren't dense enough (usually :lol: ) to walk on the bottom of a body of water that is depper then they are tall. Providing there is a current, they would just be taken downstream.

Actually, good luck finding any human dense enough to walk on the bottom of any body of water.

Though there maybe be a problem of masses of zombies knocked downstream blocking the river at one point and then flooding us.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Actually, good luck finding any human dense enough to walk on the bottom of any body of water.

Though there maybe be a problem of masses of zombies knocked downstream blocking the river at one point and then flooding us.

The chances of one zombie finding us are slim, if we do it right. I doubt there are going to be enough to block an entire [decent sized] river.

I don't think a bunch of zombies will be able to build up in any one spot along a river long enough for the fort to get flooded. HOWEVER, the current washing zombies and other fun things onto your upstream side could be a problem. An outward-angled "wall" along that side should do the trick, if you also have a normal wall around the perimeter of the little island.

I just thought of something; how big would an average island like this be? I haven't seen a whole lot, myself. If it's too small, then the most it could be used for is a last-defense bunker, if that. Also, what sort of things are going to be along the riverbed on either coast? That can greatly affect our ability to stay there, as well as defend it.

I don't think a bunch of zombies will be able to build up in any one spot along a river long enough for the fort to get flooded. HOWEVER, the current washing zombies and other fun things onto your upstream side could be a problem. An outward-angled "wall" along that side should do the trick, if you also have a normal wall around the perimeter of the little island.

I just thought of something; how big would an average island like this be? I haven't seen a whole lot, myself. If it's too small, then the most it could be used for is a last-defense bunker, if that. Also, what sort of things are going to be along the riverbed on either coast? That can greatly affect our ability to stay there, as well as defend it.

At least a few acres square. And remember, as long as zombies can't detect humans, they won't go wandering in intentionally. They could see a building with evidence of humans, but as long as they have no idea there are humans in there, they won't go searching.

At least a few acres square. And remember, as long as zombies can't detect humans, they won't go wandering in intentionally. They could see a building with evidence of humans, but as long as they have no idea there are humans in there, they won't go searching.

Seeing as to how I have absolutely no idea how big an acre is (my googling skills fail), could you talk in terms of feet or meters? Diagram would be best, though. Would be good info to know how far this island is from the shore, on all sides.

Zombies have absolutely no deductive reasoning whatsoever. Chances are, if they just so happen to be walking towards the river, they'll continue to do so until either something catches their fancy that directs them away from it or they're swept away by the current. They might also be able to detect humans by means other than just sight as well. Sound and smell, for instance. Remember, with the exception of touch, ALL of a zombie's senses are hyper-advanced.

Wait a moment though... wouldn't the insects carrying the virus, become a zombie and thus function differently?

solanum kills all non human things.

Beat me to it :thumbup:.

So we're talking about an island plan now eh? A problem with that is other groups of survivors with the same idea, they could reach the islands before us.

ezegyc.png

That's why you're on the TZDF blackdawn. Even your balls can tear zombies to shreds.

Seeing as to how I have absolutely no idea how big an acre is (my googling skills fail), could you talk in terms of feet or meters? Diagram would be best, though. Would be good info to know how far this island is from the shore, on all sides.

Zombies have absolutely no deductive reasoning whatsoever. Chances are, if they just so happen to be walking towards the river, they'll continue to do so until either something catches their fancy that directs them away from it or they're swept away by the current. They might also be able to detect humans by means other than just sight as well. Sound and smell, for instance. Remember, with the exception of touch, ALL of a zombie's senses are hyper-advanced.

Zombies senses aren't hyper advanced (I may have the meaning totally wrong, however, ignore me if that's the case).

They just use them all equally. Humans are sight based, but for example, a blind person will usually have more attuned hearing. It's not better, they're brains just handle it in a different way.

As for islands, a lake is better than a river. Rivers aren't a few acres wide, usually. Here's an example.

Island.

It's an island in the middle of a lake. 20 minutes from my house, give or take. It has a dock, lots of trees, and some wildlife. It already has a house which is a summer house, so it's rarely occupied. It's a quarter mile (1400 feet ish, in this case) from point to point.

It's a mile away from the closest bit of land, 2 and a half from the biggest farm in the state (lots of seeds, livestock, if we could get there in time. Or once we retake it, it's good land for farming). And 3 miles away from the biggest city in the state (which has only 40,000 people in the direct area. Another 150,000 in the suburbs, but it's all really spread out). Zombies running into a lake to get after us wouldn't be too successful, they couldn't come in hordes, since the currents in the lake would separate them. If we made a basic wall with some of the many trees on the island, (or the rock from some of the shores on the mainland, there's some good stuff, if we got the materials to use it.) And had one or two sentries posted, we'd be set. During the winter, all the zombies would freeze, and so would the lake. That means we could walk to land much easier, and wouldn't need to worry about having enough boats for all of us. We could scavenge the city, and it's right near, as I said, one of the bigger agricultural areas in the state.

Also, 4 miles away, we have this building. I would bet that this could be easily fortified, and be a stronghold. There are pens for livestock inside the building already, as well as tons of agriculture supplies.

Building

EDIT: some info about that building: from the view in the satellite, there are four sides. I'll say right is the side with the thinnish wall, for reference.

The right side is a stone wall about 2 feet thick, and 5-6 feet tall. There's a big open area where the road comes in, but we could build another bit of wall there. At the top and bottom of this side of the building are two big, medieval looking towers. They're the green circular things. They all have windows in them, going all the way round the sides, if I remember right. Good for snipers.

The upper side of the building is just a wall, with one metal door. maybe two, I forget. Pretty safe. The left side has like four giant gates, all closeable, and really thick, but also, with bridges going to them over a huge ditch, that's like 20 feet deep. If we took down the bridges, we could use them to barricade something on the weakest side. Also, in the center of it all there's a really tall tower, again windows on almost ever side, with a TON of storage space on the stairs going up to it. Great for snipers again.

On the bottom side is just a wall, but there's a big (25 feet long) gateway that goes into the courtyard. We could put the bridges from the left side here, they would block it off easily if we put them on their sides.

Here's two other pictures.

[hide=]shelburnefarms.jpg

shelburnefarmbarn1.jpg

The last one is looking at it from the right side, facing the left.[/hide]

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

[hide=]

Zombies senses aren't hyper advanced (I may have the meaning totally wrong, however, ignore me if that's the case).

They just use them all equally. Humans are sight based, but for example, a blind person will usually have more attuned hearing. It's not better, they're brains just handle it in a different way.

As for islands, a lake is better than a river. Rivers aren't a few acres wide, usually. Here's an example.

Island.

It's an island in the middle of a lake. 20 minutes from my house, give or take. It has a dock, lots of trees, and some wildlife. It already has a house which is a summer house, so it's rarely occupied. It's a quarter mile (1400 feet ish, in this case) from point to point.

It's a mile away from the closest bit of land, 2 and a half from the biggest farm in the state (lots of seeds, livestock, if we could get there in time. Or once we retake it, it's good land for farming). And 3 miles away from the biggest city in the state (which has only 40,000 people in the direct area. Another 150,000 in the suburbs, but it's all really spread out). Zombies running into a lake to get after us wouldn't be too successful, they couldn't come in hordes, since the currents in the lake would separate them. If we made a basic wall with some of the many trees on the island, (or the rock from some of the shores on the mainland, there's some good stuff, if we got the materials to use it.) And had one or two sentries posted, we'd be set. During the winter, all the zombies would freeze, and so would the lake. That means we could walk to land much easier, and wouldn't need to worry about having enough boats for all of us. We could scavenge the city, and it's right near, as I said, one of the bigger agricultural areas in the state.

Also, 4 miles away, we have this building. I would bet that this could be easily fortified, and be a stronghold. There are pens for livestock inside the building already, as well as tons of agriculture supplies.

Building

EDIT: some info about that building: from the view in the satellite, there are four sides. I'll say right is the side with the thinnish wall, for reference.

The right side is a stone wall about 2 feet thick, and 5-6 feet tall. There's a big open area where the road comes in, but we could build another bit of wall there. At the top and bottom of this side of the building are two big, medieval looking towers. They're the green circular things. They all have windows in them, going all the way round the sides, if I remember right. Good for snipers.

The upper side of the building is just a wall, with one metal door. maybe two, I forget. Pretty safe. The left side has like four giant gates, all closeable, and really thick, but also, with bridges going to them over a huge ditch, that's like 20 feet deep. If we took down the bridges, we could use them to barricade something on the weakest side. Also, in the center of it all there's a really tall tower, again windows on almost ever side, with a TON of storage space on the stairs going up to it. Great for snipers again.

On the bottom side is just a wall, but there's a big (25 feet long) gateway that goes into the courtyard. We could put the bridges from the left side here, they would block it off easily if we put them on their sides.

shelburnefarmbarn1.jpg

[/hide]

Wait, so thats a local island? Thats perfect in a way, as its within driving distance for an emergency. However, one major flaw is that it has roads on it, houses and, because of that, other people. We could get shot by someone panicing and mistaking us for a zombie army, or having a feud over which group gets this land, this building, these supplys. If not populated at all, its perfect. If not, we could work out a deal with said people, or just merge our groups.

[hide=]

Island.

Building

shelburnefarmbarn1.jpg

[/hide]

Wait, so thats a local island? Thats perfect in a way, as its within driving distance for an emergency. However, one major flaw is that it has roads on it, houses and, because of that, other people. We could get shot by someone panicing and mistaking us for a zombie army, or having a feud over which group gets this land, this building, these supplys. If not populated at all, its perfect. If not, we could work out a deal with said people, or just merge our groups.

I doubt it's a populated island, it seems like the sort of island that would be used for isolated testing.

~Knotch

It's a privately owned island. There's a really old house there, all brick, but I think they completely renovated it a few years ago. There's a 40 foot (or 30, I forget) tall lighthouse on it, which is made of brick, and the door to that could easily be blocked. Here's a cool thing, there's an underground passage from the house to the lighthouse. Anyways, I don't think anyone lives in the house.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

It's a privately owned island. There's a really old house there, all brick, but I think they completely renovated it a few years ago. There's a 40 foot (or 30, I forget) tall lighthouse on it, which is made of brick, and the door to that could easily be blocked. Here's a cool thing, there's an underground passage from the house to the lighthouse. Anyways, I don't think anyone lives in the house.

That really makes me want a zombie invasion.

:(

I've wanted one since page 20.

Here's another thing I was thinking about earlier. The part that worries me the most about a zombie pandemic (or epidemic. could go either way) is the start. Before the mass media and all catches on and it starts making the news, if someone/something is stumbling towards you, you can't just pull out a pistol and shoot them in the head. There's a good chance they're not a zombie. So, here are some ways I thought of/stole from max brooks to tell.

Flashlight/blink method: Back up a few steps, and wait. If it blinks, it's human. If it doesn't, it's not. Zombies don't blink. If it's dark, shine the light in it's eyes. If it's human, it would blink.

Reflex test: Grab a long object, like a stick, or a chair, or something, and poke at it. If you lunge at a human with something, they're gonna try to block, or atleast move out of the way, almost definitely.

Blood test: This is a last resort. Somehow cut it. If it bleeds, it's human. if it it's like a black goo, it's not.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Wow, the last time I checked this thread it was basically dying.....maybe it has become a zombie....

Anyways, I'm going to try to ignore the last 25-30 pages since I can't be bothered to read them.

On to the topic at hand, which I think is about finding space to create a fortress/camp....

There would be a whole lot of abandoned oil rigs and such....They might work, if there are a few within say, 3-5 miles between, that would keep a lot of people, and a lot of supplies, you would only need to venture back to a mainland every few months, and you could take organised teams to do that.

Of course, this is never ideal, being far out at sea... but I suppose this could be a last resort, if theres nowhere to stay on the mainland.

Also, I noticed a name for this zombie virus now, whats that all about?

According to wikipedia its a genus of plant....

2Xeo5.png

Wow, the last time I checked this thread it was basically dying.....maybe it has become a zombie....

Anyways, I'm going to try to ignore the last 25-30 pages since I can't be bothered to read them.

On to the topic at hand, which I think is about finding space to create a fortress/camp....

There would be a whole lot of abandoned oil rigs and such....They might work, if there are a few within say, 3-5 miles between, that would keep a lot of people, and a lot of supplies, you would only need to venture back to a mainland every few months, and you could take organised teams to do that.

Of course, this is never ideal, being far out at sea... but I suppose this could be a last resort, if theres nowhere to stay on the mainland.

Also, I noticed a name for this zombie virus now, whats that all about?

According to wikipedia its a genus of plant....

not sure of the origin of the name, but the guide uses it so its pretty much official.

Oil rigs are interesting, excluding accidents it would be a decent to good choice.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Oil rigs are interesting, excluding accidents it would be a decent to good choice.

Oil tanker was my original idea, posted back Zombie Jesus knows how long ago. It was still my plan until a few months ago. Think about it; out at sea, no zombies. You'd be accepted into pretty much every major port as long as they at least think you have oil on board in order to resupply. Crew is the only problem.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif