Guide to RuneScape's new Graphics - Do YOU meet the Req's?

Sentry_Wolf

My graphics card says: Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

What does that mean? :?

It means integrated graphics, which we don't really know if they will run the new version. Offhand I'd say no, but Jagex needs to release some more details on it.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.40Ghz Processor

1.5Gigs Ram

256MB GeForce 7300 GT

I'm set!

On a side note: Anyone notice the first picture in the development diary? Anyone? No? Back a good while ago I made suggestion to add lighting (such as presented in the picture). I'm sure my topic is lurking around in the Tip.It archives.

Character Detail Upgrade? HORRAY! :lol:

Lighting has been suggested many times ::'

As for character detail, that's only in talk heads for dialog. But back on topic: you should add some more details about shared graphics, sentry. Even integrated graphics "seem" to have 256MB plus of memory, but many of them probably will not be able to run it.

Applogies for off topic: "The human NPC improvement alone is the single largest project of its type to date, with humans accounting for approximately 15% of all NPCs (1,500 out of 10,000 unique models), and the player kit consisting of over 4,000 body parts and clothing."

If you look at the pictures, the whole player detail thing as a whole is getting an overhaul. =D>

In the picture, our faces are slightly more detailed, but still just slits for eyes and no mouth. Those amazing close ups of the player head in a dragon med helm are only for the chat interface. Back on topic: Sorry for the slow responses people, I'm *trying* to ice burst lobsters while typing these answers.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Graphics that use your system's memory and have much slower processors built in. The opposite of a discrete graphics card, which has its own high speed processor and memory.

Erm.. how can I go into detail about it?

@Compfreak847

You seem to know what you're talking about so: I can play Half life 2, GTA San Andreas(granted not particularily demanding games) etc.. on my comp which doesn't have a dedicated graphics card (with a good framerate) I assume this means the computer will be able to run Runescape on the new detail level, am I assuming correctly?

Graphics that use your system's memory and have much slower processors built in. The opposite of a discrete graphics card, which has its own high speed processor and memory.

You could explain how the memory results are misleading, and provide graphs and benchmarks showing the performance of different types of integrated graphics vs. discrete graphics to help people understand how their cards perform, and give information on how they will work with the new graphics. Or at least mention it, and say that whatever amount of memory it says is basically useless, invalid and misleading information. :)

DeviledEgg24.png

@Compfreak847

You seem to know what you're talking about so: I can play Half life 2, GTA San Andreas(granted not particularily demanding games) etc.. on my comp which doesn't have a dedicated graphics card (with a good framerate) I assume this means the computer will be able to run Runescape on the new detail level, am I assuming correctly?

Like I said, performance in integrated graphics varies greatly. It also helps that you can lower the settings on those games very, very low... Changing the resolution alone can result in a 6X or greater performance increase. You will more then likely be able to play it in the browser window, but if your screen has a high resolution you will probably not be able to play fullscreen in your native resolution. I really can't help you more without knowing your exact graphics card name. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about, I do this for a living. ::'

DeviledEgg24.png

You could explain how the memory results are misleading, and provide graphs and benchmarks showing the performance of different types of integrated graphics vs. discrete graphics to help people understand how their cards perform, and give information on how they will work with the new graphics. Or at least mention it, and say that whatever amount of memory it says is basically useless, invalid and misleading information. :)

I would have no idea whatsoever on how to do that.

Maybe if you would like too? You, as you proved beyond many times. You know your stuff.

@Compfreak847

Like I said, performance in integrated graphics varies greatly. It also helps that you can lower the settings on those games very, very low... Changing the resolution alone can result in a 6X or greater performance increase. You will more then likely be able to play it in the browser window, but if your screen has a high resolution you will probably not be able to play fullscreen in your native resolution. I really can't help you more without knowing your exact graphics card name. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about, I do this for a living. ::'

Its Intel® G33/G31 express chipset family (chip type GMA 3100), as far as I know this is quite basic.

Well i have exactly the same amount of ghz and ram to run the new graphics, im just checking the graphic's card now <3: :thumbsup:

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

hmm..

Intel Celeron( ouch half cache) 2.6Ghz processor

1.25Gb Ram( obviously not DDR2 but still I'm sure it'll be fine)

nVidia Geforce 7600GS 256mb ( should be fine, handles most of my RTS games to a large extent, it becomes sluggish if i turn the detail to high or loads of units are on screen)

GRRRR i really really want a new computer, I'm going for a job interview on Wednesday, hoping i get it and by saving this year, plus Christmas i should be able to build a £800 gaming machine.

cakesncats056-1.jpg

@Compfreak847

Its Intel® G33/G31 express chipset family (chip type GMA 3100), as far as I know this is quite basic.

That is quite basic, you probably have all the settings for those games at the lowest. I wouldn't promise that Runescape can run on it.

DeviledEgg24.png

hmm..

Intel Celeron( ouch half cache) 2.6Ghz processor

1.25Gb Ram( obviously not DDR2 but still I'm sure it'll be fine)

nVidia Geforce 7600GS 256mb ( should be fine, handles most of my RTS games to a large extent, it becomes sluggish if i turn the detail to high or loads of units are on screen)

GRRRR i really really want a new computer, I'm going for a job interview on Wednesday, hoping i get it and by saving this year, plus Christmas i should be able to build a £800 gaming machine.

The 7600GS really isn't that bad, its far ahead of shared graphics. You should have no problems with Runescape.

DeviledEgg24.png

I would have no idea whatsoever on how to do that.

Maybe if you would like too? You, as you proved beyond many times. You know your stuff.

I really don't have time, considering that it will be obsolete in a few weeks. However, it would help if you put this in your post: "If your system uses Intel or some types of ATI graphics, that means that it is integrated graphics that take their memory from the main system memory. They may or may not be able to run the new Runescape graphics; Jagex has not released enough information about them to be sure one way or the other."

DeviledEgg24.png

No, I unfortunately don't. I apologize to people who can be offended, but this computer is a piece of [cabbage].

Specifications:

•  
    [*:3rw7nzto] 64 MB of RAM

[*:3rw7nzto] 350 MHZ (Pentium II Processor)

[*:3rw7nzto] Windows 98 Second Edition

:wall:

Anyway to check the video card on Windows 9x Operating Systems?

j0xPu5R.png

I have a Macbook G4 (OS X 10.4.11)... running on a 1.42 GHz processor. I have been told this would still make the cut...

I also have 512MB RAM, which is above the required. However I am not so sure what the deal is with my graphics card. This kind of Mac doesn't use a graphics card. It's integrated so therefore it can't be upgraded. Thats the problem; my VRAM is only 32MB

My other specs:

Chipset Model: ATY,M12

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

So... even though it was said Macs would be supported, and that if I am running on at-least OS 10 I would have 3d capability, I am still concerned about my VRAM only being 32MB. Will I be able to slide by somehow?

Does anybody know about Macs enough to answer that?

picture7eo0.png

No, I unfortunately don't. I apologize to people who can be offended, but this computer is a piece of [cabbage].

Specifications:

•  
    [*:1ikqlz88] 64 MB of RAM

[*:1ikqlz88] 350 MHZ (Pentium II Processor)

[*:1ikqlz88] Windows 98 Second Edition

:wall:

Anyway to check the video card on Windows 9x Operating Systems?

No need to. You have no chance whatsoever of running it. I'm halfway surprised you can run the regular runescape. :lol:

DeviledEgg24.png

I have a Macbook G4 (OS X 10.4.11)... running on a 1.42 GHz processor. I have been told this would still make the cut...

I also have 512MB RAM, which is above the required. However I am not so sure what the deal is with my graphics card. This kind of Mac doesn't use a graphics card. It's integrated so therefore it can't be upgraded. Thats the problem; my VRAM is only 32MB

My other specs:

Chipset Model: ATY,M12

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

So... even though it was said Macs would be supported, and that if I am running on at-least OS 10 I would have 3d capability, I am still concerned about my VRAM only being 32MB. Will I be able to slide by somehow?

Does anybody know about Macs enough to answer that?

AGP? A little old... I'd say probably not. I can't give any definite answers until Jagex gives some more details. Guess you'll have to wait it out.

DeviledEgg24.png

I'm not too hot with graphs, but here's what I know.

An integrated graphics card is simply on the main board, meaning that it draws resources (such as RAM and CPU time). Systems with low RAM (less than 256MB) or slow CPUs (less than 1.5GHz) won't be able to run too many games with high demands on it. You can also tell it how much RAM you give it permission to use, which is available through BIOS. Of course, your mileage will vary; most newer (and some older) PCs will let you set how much memory you can share for graphics card.

A discrete graphics card is one that is separate from the machine, in terms of resources (RAM and GPU). Because they use their own RAM, your system doesn't have to share with them, and they don't have to allocate CPU time to the card, either. These cards typically perform significantly better than any integrated card, due to the isolated resources. Of course, your mileage will vary with this, but even if your machine is 1.5GHz or greater, you'll get, on bare minimum specs, a playable game (probably 25-30 fps).

That's what I think I know in terms of graphics cards. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the general theory I use.

I have a Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.79 GHz (2 CPUs) with 502MB RAM, but a Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL with a Display Memory of 128.0 MB. Am I all set? :ohnoes:

Why do you have such little RAM, first of all? You'd imagine that 2 CPUs need at least a gig or two between them. Anyway...if the display memory claims that it's 128 MB, I don't think you'll run into any hitches.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

hmm if my geforce 7600 256mb is AGP rather then PCI-e does that cause a large performance hit or will it handle this no problem.

Also i assume they are not necessarily talking about DDR2?

I have 1.25Gb of DDR1 ram, i assume that's ok?

cakesncats056-1.jpg

I have a Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.79 GHz (2 CPUs) with 502MB RAM, but a Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL with a Display Memory of 128.0 MB. Am I all set? :ohnoes:

Why do you have such little RAM, first of all? You'd imagine that 2 CPUs need at least a gig or two between them. Anyway...if the display memory claims that it's 128 MB, I don't think you'll run into any hitches.

I have no idea, honestly I was suprised when I saw that.

sigh.png

If it has a larger meg capacity then it does boost it a bit but sometimes a 64 one can be better than a 256

I guess its just hope and wait time :o

64 is very, very rare. Many cards nowadays have both shared and built in memory. My card, for example, has 256 MB built in and ALSO uses the system ram when it is not needed. During heavy gaming it can have over 1.25 GB of memory, allowing it to cache textures and render frames ahead of those that are currently being used.

Yea i know its rare now :P Hmm i never knew they had both, wow you has uber pee see graphics :P

Glad everyone is enjoying our guides

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear