Guide to RuneScape's new Graphics - Do YOU meet the Req's?

Sentry_Wolf

hmm if my geforce 7600 256mb is AGP rather then PCI-e does that cause a large performance hit or will it handle this no problem.

Also i assume they are not necessarily talking about DDR2?

I have 1.25Gb of DDR1 ram, i assume that's ok?

PCI-e is much faster than AGP (I assume you're running it at 8x), but I'm sure that they don't care. Also, RAM is RAM, regardless of its type. As long as the system can access it, that's all that matters.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P3 550, 128Mb RAM with a 64Mb graphics card Aint no way in hell this puppy will play the new version!

I guess having a computer for 8 years, 2 reformats, and god knows how many reinstalments of windows isnt too bad. Time to retire it to the kiddies, and get me an upgrade!

^^

thanks for the confirmation, i guess if this old thing can handle halo fine and didn't have any problem with Silkroad( hated it) really( bar when i was in a big city with hundreds of players on top of each other in every square) it can handle a revamped RS.

cakesncats056-1.jpg

I have a Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.79 GHz (2 CPUs) with 502MB RAM, but a Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL with a Display Memory of 128.0 MB. Am I all set? :ohnoes:

The shared memory myth. Your display adapter has 0 memory. Not sure if it'll run, as I've said many, many times before we need more details.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

My current computer can run it (yay) and my new laptop (whenever I pick one out) probably will be able to run it. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out before school starts and I need to quit Runescape again. :(

icecube7.jpeg

hmm if my geforce 7600 256mb is AGP rather then PCI-e does that cause a large performance hit or will it handle this no problem.

PCI-e is much faster than AGP (I assume you're running it at 8x), but I'm sure that they don't care. Also, RAM is RAM, regardless of its type. As long as the system can access it, that's all that matters.

To joey: You'll be fine, and DDR1 ram should be ok.

To Makoto:It probably won't make a difference on the PCI-E, but DDR3 is far, far faster then DDR1 in many ways. All RAM is not created equal; ECC, Dual Channel, DDR1/2/3, etc...

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I have a Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.79 GHz (2 CPUs) with 502MB RAM, but a Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL with a Display Memory of 128.0 MB. Am I all set? :ohnoes:

Why do you have such little RAM, first of all? You'd imagine that 2 CPUs need at least a gig or two between them. Anyway...if the display memory claims that it's 128 MB, I don't think you'll run into any hitches.

I have no idea, honestly I was suprised when I saw that.

Your ram is normal for the computer (more would be helpful, obviously). As for the video memory, the "128 MB" is just stolen from the main memory, meaning *again* integrated graphics and you may or may not be able to play it.

DeviledEgg24.png

To Makoto:It probably won't make a difference on the PCI-E, but DDR3 is far, far faster then DDR1 in many ways. All RAM is not created equal; ECC, Dual Channel, DDR1/2/3, etc...

Fair point. But we're not doing quantum physics here, and as long as the machine can access the RAM, we're happy. :D

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), 2048MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB.

My computer is a few years old, and I have no idea what these numbers mean. Do I make the cut?

Yes, you make the cut by a landslide.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I know my laptop can handle it, but I'm not sure about my desktop computer. I know it has a gig of RAM and a 2.2 GHz processor, but I'm not sure if the graphics card will work. They say nVidia GeForce 3 or higher will work and mine says it's nVidia GeForce 4 MX Integrated GPU, but it only has 32 MB RAM. Here's a screenshot of my dxdiag just in case:

graphicsspecs.png

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

[hide=]

Fair point. But we're not doing quantum physics here, and as long as the machine can access the RAM, we're happy. :D[/hide]

Gaming and overall performance relies heavily on ram, although the speed differences are fairly small. They are noticeable, however ;)

[hide=]

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), 2048MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB.

My computer is a few years old, and I have no idea what these numbers mean. Do I make the cut?

Yes, you make the cut by a landslide.

[/hide]

Can't argue there.

DeviledEgg24.png

i have all the reqs ^^ yay for new rs

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

I know my laptop can handle it, but I'm not sure about my desktop computer. I know it has a gig of RAM and a 2.2 GHz processor, but I'm not sure if the graphics card will work. They say nVidia GeForce 3 or higher will work and mine says it's nVidia GeForce 4 MX Integrated GPU, but it only has 32 MB RAM. Here's a screenshot of my dxdiag just in case:

graphicsspecs.png

Mmmm... Close call on this one. Can't say either way based on the limited information Jagex has provided, but judging by the "64 MB" spec, you may not have the necessary memory to load the textures and such. Depends if that spec was out of necessity, or just for performance reasons.

DeviledEgg24.png

Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GHz

520MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB

That's ok I think.

Yup, your good. I'd bump the ram up another 512 MB though, ram is cheeeeep. You can get 4 GB of desktop ram for under 100$ if you watch for deals.

DeviledEgg24.png

Mmmm... Close call on this one. Can't say either way based on the limited information Jagex has provided, but judging by the "64 MB" spec, you may not have the necessary memory to load the textures and such. Depends if that spec was out of necessity, or just for performance reasons.

Thanks or the info. Looks like I'll just have to wait and see, then.

0 rows returned

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

Note: The following method is not 100% accurate and should only be used as a rough guide.

go to http://www.srtest.com - select Call of Duty 2 allow the program to install (It is perfectly safe)

If you pass the minimum requirements you SHOULD be able to play with the updated graphics, ignoring things such as Hard Drive space which are not going to be needed.

Call of Duty 2 specs: 1.4GHz processor, 256mb RAM, 64mb Graphics

Passing CPU Speed - System RAM and Video card should mean you can play the new very of Runescape. This is not 100% accurate as I have said, so please don't shout at me if you pass this test and can't play RS, or fail and can.

I was wondering how well my new PC would be able to handle it.. I should have expected something like this though..

[hide=My Computer]Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz, probably 3GHz when I get around to overclocking it)

4GB DDR2-800

GeForce 8800 GT 1GB[/hide]

Needless to say, I'm no longer worried at all..

(Wow. Even my the computer I upgraded from to get to my old computer to get to this one can run it with its upgraded graphics card.. :| )

I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
Pics or it didn't happen.
I hate my generation.

Note: The following method is not 100% accurate and should only be used as a rough guide.

go to http://www.srtest.com - select Call of Duty 2 allow the program to install (It is perfectly safe)

If you pass the minimum requirements you SHOULD be able to play with the updated graphics, ignoring things such as Hard Drive space which are not going to be needed.

Call of Duty 2 specs: 1.4GHz processor, 256mb RAM, 64mb Graphics

Passing CPU Speed - System RAM and Video card should mean you can play the new very of Runescape. This is not 100% accurate as I have said, so please don't shout at me if you pass this test and can't play RS, or fail and can.

Oo, very nice. Jagex should have done this. I'll do some tests to see how accurate it is.

EDIT: Disappointing. All it does is look at your system stats, instead of benchmarking something. Basically the same thing your doing with DxDiag, only slightly faster and still inaccurate until Jagex gives us some real details.

DeviledEgg24.png

i know but im getting it for less then 1100$ or 5400kr(danish)

and my father is buying it to my for my nice grades in school(just graduated)

ps. can you opgrade it in anyway?

pss. what is anti alising?

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

I was wondering how well my new PC would be able to handle it.. I should have expected something like this though..

[hide=My Computer]Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz, probably 3GHz when I get around to overclocking it)

4GB DDR2-800

GeForce 8800 GT 1GB[/hide]

Needless to say, I'm no longer worried at all..

(Wow. Even my the computer I upgraded from to get to my old computer to get to this one can run it with its upgraded graphics card.. :| )

Yes, a little sad. On the good side, that's probably only for 800X600 without anti-aliasing; almost any graphics card can run oldish games like that. I want to see what happens at 1920X1200 with 4X anti-aliasing; I couldn't believe it when I read that you could use anti-aliasing.

DeviledEgg24.png

i know but im getting it for less then 1100$ or 5400kr(danish)

and my father is buying it to my for my nice grades in school(just graduated)

ps. can you opgrade it in anyway?

pss. what is anti alising?

Good for the cost :D

Expensive to upgrade CPU, as you cannot sell the old one very easily. Much easier to get when you first buy it. Anti-aliasing is the smoothing of lines by using pixels with transition colors; basically it makes things look more realistic by smoothing and blending the lines, especially at lower resolutions.

DeviledEgg24.png

Woot!! I went into my computer's BIOS and was able to give my graphics card more RAM. \'

It's a good thing I never really do anything that would require all my RAM to work. :P

0 rows returned

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

Woot!! I went into my computer's BIOS and was able to give my graphics card more RAM. \'

It's a good thing I never really do anything that would require all my RAM to work. :P

That's really not going to help much, the main problem is that system memory is far, far (as in several orders of magnitude) slower then onboard memory. Still, it could improve performance a bit...

Jagex said they would allow you to adjust the detail and visible features on the new detail mode, so it may help those with weaker graphics cards tune down some of the settings while retaining the updated look.

DeviledEgg24.png