Guide to RuneScape's new Graphics - Do YOU meet the Req's?

Sentry_Wolf

To put it simply......no I dont meet the requirements.

Hopefully over the summer I'll be getting a new laptop in time for Sixth Form and obviously that laptop would be able to fit the requirements. Infact, the new graphics and fullscreen mode could lure me back into RuneScape. ;)

Retired 8th October 2007 | 99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | Owner of a Red Mask and 2 Santa Hats |

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

lucky you :P I got nothing for teh six-form, naaaathing! :lol:

My computer does meet the requirements but it fails to play any new games i buy( obviously they need way more then runescape). Got a job interview tomorrow( if my stomach stops absolutely killing me...) hoping it goes well, £800 comp here i come. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cakesncats056-1.jpg

Keep in mind that most computer users don't really know their computer specs that well, but here is some tips to know if you can run the full screen mode.

CPU requirement is usually not a concern since if your CPU speed is higher than 1.5Ghz (I guess either Celeron, P4, or Core 2 duo, or AMD) will definately run it.

Ram: Most computer have 1 Gig standard ram, so that shouldn't be a concern (unless you have a shared video card,which drains it) Most computer that runs Xp have 1gig, the ones with Vista usually have 2 Gig

Video card: I think this is more important for most part, basically, to put it in a simple term, if you have a intel chip stated, then it's probably not enough to run it, so I always look for ATI or Nvidia, if you have ATI or Nvidia on the go (for laptops or some desktop), then its slightly better, but not much (with the exception of new ones like Nvidia 7000m or newer ATI ones x1200, maybe better?). If you have video cards has its own memory 128, 256, 512mb, and does not drain your main Ram memory, then it should be discrete (its own memory source)

Keep in mind that even if you do meet the requirement, and you like to run things in the background, you might have alot of laggy situations. My gaming experience sometimes lag when something is updating in the background, like anti virus softwares.

My computer specs is 2.6 P4, with 1Gig of ram, and 9800 Pro 128mb, but it actually lag sometimes when I ran RS because, I am using wireless, and wirelss will hamper alot of online gaming exp, and if your computer have some odd things installed (junk program, and what not) it will tend to slow down the computer as well.

Most game titles nowadays have minimum requirement, and recommended requirement, I dont really know if the requirment Jagex released is minimum or recommended, but if your spec meet borderline of it, then its best to clean out your computer (those junk softwares, and useless toolbars), and program do a system defrag, and clean our your internet temp files. To ensure smooth gaming experience, and knowing alot of people's computer are buggy (crashes often for no reason) might want to look into repairing or reinstalling OS first (back up all files of course)

Those are my own opinions, so again, might not be entirely accurate.

PS: Computer are pretty cheap nowaday, 700 to 800 budget could get you to a moderate computer, but again, to spend all that when you get a good computer that already doing all the stuff seems abit excessive, then again, thats why there is hardcore gamers spending at least 2k on their computer (I should know, I spend 20 bucks for a mousepad, and 65 bucks for a gaming mouse, and they are only "moderate" in first person shooting ability, dont know how that will help my RS training, lol, at least it helps if you play CS or other shooting games)

Most of it was good, except for the part about ram over graphics card. Your graphics card is far, far, FAR more important then your ram. As long as you have enough ram to run the game alone (which isn't much), you should be fine. The problem is when your graphics card has to use the main system ram; it is much much slower that way. Also, the dedicated cards are far more powerful then even the most advanced built in graphics (Although NVIDIA\Intel and ATI\AMD are aiming to change that).

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2x1024MB DDR533 RAM, Nvidia Geforce 7900GTO clocked at GTX+ speeds.

So yeah, I most definately meet the requirements. Laptop will be a bit tricky though, with integrated graphics. Though it's not a slow one, I doubt if it can match a Geforce 3's speed. We'll see.

Actually, in response to compfreaks post to my previous response, I did mention that video card part is MORE important than RAM or CPU, maybe my wording just odd (assume if both latter ones meet the requirements)

Basically, any of you guys looking into a moderate to good gaming computer PC or laptop

Look into CPU, RAM, Video card, and Motherboard.

Sorry if this is too technical, but when you buy a new computer, motherboard decide most of the stuff if you plan to do upgrades. This is what my friend did when he bought his new PC, good motherboard, good power supply, good media writer, and 2gig of ram (CD, dvds, blue ray if you got the cash), rest of them just mediocre.

Why, you wait, wait till the price drop in a few months to one year, then top CPU become medium CPU, top video card become medium video card, ram becomes cheaper, and sound card (if you are picky on that part). When you upgrade all those parts, I am pretty sure you can play all the current games offer on the market. So your initial investment might be smaller, and spend another 500 to do some major upgrades, and before you know it, u got one elite gaming machine.

PC is easier to upgrade, whether as laptop is pretty much fixed, so decide on a good lappy is important when you buy the whole package. Again, follow the most guideline above, but I tend to look for CPU, ram, and video card as main component (thats why I never choose laptop with a Intel X3100, just Nvidia or ATI, not express or go, but 8400, 8600, and 8700 for nvidia)

A crazy and dream plus perfect example would be something like this....(though I doubt not alot of people will try this)

24 inch LCD screen

Quad Core CPU 3ghz or higher (4 CPU build into one, or in Intel case, 2 duo core glue into 1)

4Gig to 8 Gig memory

SLi mode for Nvidia, and crossfire for ATI (basically 2 8800 GTX level video card working at the same time with build in ram 512 to 1g)

Exreme sound offer by Creative Sound blaster

Blue ray writer

1TB of hard drive (1000gb)

a seperate physic engine card plus tv tuner/fm card

and whole tons of other crazy expensive items you can think of (liquid cooling, ilumination lights, extra set of fans to cool things)

should come out about 3k to 4k per computer

basically, look around the computer shops and ads before you decide to buy a new gaming computer (and to be honest, all those computer upgrades are just for games, and heavy video/graphic program utilities, for office and home entertainment use, just way too much)

a happy Runescaper

Windows XP SP2

Intel P4 HT 3.2Ghz

1GB DDR2 RAM

ATI Radeon X600 256MB GPU

Dell 5.1 Surround

Might also mention that I'm upgrading the RAM to 2GB and the GPU to a Nvidia 8600GT 512MB soon. ;)

It should run like a charm.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Actually, in response to compfreaks post to my previous response, I did mention that video card part is MORE important than RAM or CPU, maybe my wording just odd (assume if both latter ones meet the requirements)

Basically, any of you guys looking into a moderate to good gaming computer PC or laptop

Sorry if this is too technical, but when you buy a new computer, motherboard decide most of the stuff if you plan to do upgrades. This is what my friend did when he bought his new PC, good motherboard, good power supply, good media writer, and 2gig of ram (CD, dvds, blue ray if you got the cash), rest of them just mediocre.

Why, you wait, wait till the price drop in a few months to one year, then top CPU become medium CPU, top video card become medium video card, ram becomes cheaper, and sound card (if you are picky on that part). When you upgrade all those parts, I am pretty sure you can play all the current games offer on the market. So your initial investment might be smaller, and spend another 500 to do some major upgrades, and before you know it, u got one elite gaming machine.

PC is easier to upgrade, whether as laptop is pretty much fixed, so decide on a good lappy is important when you buy the whole package. Again, follow the most guideline above, but I tend to look for CPU, ram, and video card as main component (thats why I never choose laptop with a Intel X3100, just Nvidia or ATI, not express or go, but 8400, 8600, and 8700 for nvidia)

A crazy and dream plus perfect example would be something like this....(though I doubt not alot of people will try this)

24 inch LCD screen

Quad Core CPU 3ghz or higher (4 CPU build into one, or in Intel case, 2 duo core glue into 1)

4Gig to 8 Gig memory

SLi mode for Nvidia, and crossfire for ATI (basically 2 8800 GTX level video card working at the same time with build in ram 512 to 1g)

Blue ray writer

and whole tons of other crazy expensive items you can think of (liquid cooling, ilumination lights, extra set of fans to cool things)

£k-4k... NOOOOOO!! Seriously it shouldn't come to that, I'm saving up for a machine that's going to be able to play all the games out there and it's around £800( though no monitor, so probably more like £1050 with one)

Q6600( quad core 2.4ghz, it's roughly £130, you can overclock it to 3ghz by changed ONE value, this thing overclocks so easily you could probably do it on the stock CPU cooler although to play it safe i'd buy the artic cooler 7 for around £15, it's amazing for it's price.)

Obviously you need a good quality power supply, corsair do great ones, theres a modular 520watt powersupply for £70ish, it's won tons of awards for best power supply for gaming rigs.

4gb DDR2 6400PC ram( 2x2 sticks, get a good brand, probably cost you around £75, DDR3 is like treble the price and tbh it's not worth it right now, DDR2 is still the main stream and will be for another year or so until prices go down to something reasonable)

You could SLI, although one pricey card is easier IMO since you don't have to buy two new cards next time you upgrade. IF you wanted to the 9600GT's apparantly scaler very well and for the price, around £120 each, it's an amazing deal, two of those will blow one 8800GTX out of the water, if you want to SLI more pricey stuff then buy two 8800GTS 512mb cards, these are equal to and sometimes beat the 800GTX on games and are £50 cheaper, even the 9800GTX is a little cheaper LMAO.

Extreme is sound card is really unnecessary IMO, on board sound these days is very good, you could splash out( and i would) on an creative X-fi gamer ( £60) heard great things about them.

Blue ray, well it has nothing to do with gamings, it costs like £250, ok get it if you want but it's not a necessary part of a gaming rig.

1TB is a bit much for me, but yeah you could go with it, probably £100ish

PsyX card, no way in hell!!! Seriously they don't help gaming, friend of mine bought one and he is really sorry for it. :lol: I'm sure it;s great for 3D design but just like the £500 graphics cards, they are great for 3D design, they suck for games( not designed for them)

Motherboard, you could go crazy and spend £300 or get a pretty good one for £80-100, depends on what you could.

Really you could build a best of a machine for £800-£1000( plus say £250 for a nice 24" monitor)

my friends comp which cost her £960( althoguh if she built it herself it would have been more like £800 flys through any game I've played on it, even supreme commander with eight players, and that's with only one 8800GTS 512mb, those things rule. :P :P

Basically yeah you could buy an Alienware amazing comp for £4k, but they charge you more then double what it costs for you to buy the parts yourself, i guess it all depends on budget really.

Sorry for the tech talk if anyone didn't get that, i'm new to the techness but i am trying to learn about hardware choices from experts so i can make wise decision and not go overkill and rip myself off when i eventually buy my new computer.

cakesncats056-1.jpg

Minimum specifications:

To play RuneScape's new detail level you will need:

- 1.5 GHz processor or higher

- 256MB of RAM or more

- 64MB 3D Graphics card, such as Nvidia® GeForce 3 or above

My first computer is too good to be playing RS :(

4.4 GHZ

2000MB RAM

512MB Radeon X1300 pro

My second computer (got it for 60 dollars :D)

2.8 GHZ

512MB RAM

96MB but it's the intel crap :ohnoes:

2480+ total

Hi,

Doh. I don't meet the requirements...

My best computer is a (quad core) 2.5 Ghz Core 2 with 8 GB of RAM and a 256 MB Nvideo GeForce 8600GT. It's running Gentoo Linux and I won't be switching it back to Vista, so that won't meet the requirements.

My second best computer has a pair of dual core opterons (2 Ghz each, 4 CPUs/cores total) and 4 GB of RAM. I don't know what the video card is, but this machine runs FreeBSD and it's too noisy for gaming (1U rackmount server with hotplug SATA RAID array, that sounds like an industrial vacuum cleaner when it's running).

My third best computer has a (single core) 2.6 Ghz Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM. It's setup with dual monitor - an old NVidea card (RIVA TNT2) with 32 MB of RAM for one monitor and the onboard Intel graphics for the other. I can change the amount of RAM the onboard video uses (BIOS settings) but maximum is 32 MB. This is what I use for Runescape now - it runs Windows XP, but doesn't meet the video RAM requirements.

- Qweesdy

To Joey ^

Your talking Pounds dude there worth Roughly 1.9x more then US or Australian dollars.

Therefore you multiply your 800 pounds with no monitor by 1.9 = $1520 and a 24 inch monitor is a pretty expensive component of that package so that bridges the gap a little.

You can also save ALOT of money by buying the things that are just below "Top of the range". Buying all "Top of the range" stuff i believe you could easily hit the 3-4k mark.

Dragon_Scyth.png

"Boredom got me playing, Boredom stops me from playing. It's a vicious cycle."

need help!!

i got the first two requirements , but i'm not sure about the graphics card...

(i used the method by smither sid)

so i open direct x diagnose , and at the place where the graphics card is named , it says " name : SiS "

well , i'm not sure if that is something lol (i'm not that good in that sort of things)

here is the picture of it :

f0cf1k.png

(sorry that it is dutch , but i'm from Belgium)

naam = name

geheugen = memory

i'm not sure but i think it is one beause it says that the memory is 64 mb

thank you for helping :thumbsup:

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Runescape and impatient people are like ying and yang, they exist as one, they need each other

i've did some research and i meet the req's :thumbsup:

do u guys think it will be memb only ?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Runescape and impatient people are like ying and yang, they exist as one, they need each other

24 inch LCD screen

4Gig to 8 Gig memory

Blue ray writer

basically, look around the computer shops and ads before you decide to buy a new gaming computer (and to be honest, all those computer upgrades are just for games, and heavy video/graphic program utilities, for office and home entertainment use, just way too much)

That? Dream computer? You can go far beyond that.... We're talking RAID 1+0, with 5 VelociRaptors at 10,000 RPM each, dual blue ray drives, quad graphics cards, Xfire sound card, 4 30 inch widescreen monitors in one desktop... need I go on? Easy to push the price well over 10,000. And even then, currently no computer that can be built or bought by consumers can run Crysis maxed out at even 1920X1200 (The fastest gaming computer currently tested by PCWorld\PCMag gets under 10 frames per second maxed out, and the resolution can go even higher on 30 inch monitors. Make that 4 of them together, and it'll be 3-4 years at least before we see a computer that can run that, despite it being out already for months)

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Even though the requirement stated by Jagex meet most of the computer specs nowaday, we probably would recieve some sort of graphic patch update to fix out any potential bugs that might happen.

Then again, clean out your computer junk programs would definiately help alot if you want a good full screen RS experience.

In response to compfreaks comment, I am just putting up the highest specs I know from last year, and if they do offer quad PCI express support on some motherboard now, well, thats just really crazy stuff, lol, then yeah, the computer price pushing over 10k is possible.

I heard that Crysis requirement is steep, but I did see some video of Crysis demo running with 8800 level nvidia card pretty smoothly, of course, maybe they didn't set on the highest setting, but again if the current max set up can't even pump up 10 fps, then I guess the game just insanely hardware hogger

Maybe some computers offer by Alienware could meet some of the steep requirement? Again, if other games ever get to Crysis level or beyond, then the number of upgrades we did to our PC is probably limitless (which is probably true).

For now, I am glad my PC can run RS with little lagging, and all other FPS titles and games smoothly, and probably buy another computer 5 years down the road to handle any heavy duty games.

PS: My computer is like 7 years old, and before I upgrade (CPU, Ram, and video card) it acutally able to run the current RS requirement, lol. Even the upgrade happen 3 years ago, I still able to run most of the game no problem (but barely meet the requirement)

Was 1.6 GHz P4, now 2.6 P4

Was 256 ram, now 1 gig

was geforce 430 64mb ram, now radeon pro 9800 128mb

so again, before buying a computer, research it first, so avoid spending bigs bucks on wrong part

a happy Runescaper

I got a dutch computer could anyone help me? :wall:

i guess u use xp ...

go to search (dutch = zoeken),

type dxdiag and search ...

there will come up a program click it and then u go to "beeldscherm"

and u got it :thumbsup:

sorry for the dutch , but as he uses a dutch computer , i explain him the terms in dutch...

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy