Guide to RuneScape's new Graphics - Do YOU meet the Req's?

Sentry_Wolf

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laptop

Intel® Celeron® 1.5 Ghz processor(minimum lol)

502 MB RAM

Display:

Name: Mobile Intel® 915 GM/GMS, 910GML Express

Chip Type: Same as the name

Approx. Total Memory: 128 mb

Current display mode: 1280x768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Desktop:

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40 Ghz

Ram: 766 MB RAM

Display:

Name: Intel® 82845G/GL/PE/GV Graphics controller

Chip Type: Intel® 828456 Graphics controller

Approx total memory: 64.0 MB

Current Display mode: 800x600 (32 bit)(85 Hz)

can someone tell me how/which card with which to upgrade the graphics card of the desktop to run anything runescape throws at me well, keep in mind it uses DDR memory & is a 5 yr old compaq=p

Hi,

Doh. I don't meet the requirements...

My best computer is a (quad core) 2.5 Ghz Core 2 with 8 GB of RAM and a 256 MB Nvideo GeForce 8600GT. It's running Gentoo Linux and I won't be switching it back to Vista, so that won't meet the requirements.

My second best computer has a pair of dual core opterons (2 Ghz each, 4 CPUs/cores total) and 4 GB of RAM. I don't know what the video card is, but this machine runs FreeBSD and it's too noisy for gaming (1U rackmount server with hotplug SATA RAID array, that sounds like an industrial vacuum cleaner when it's running).

My third best computer has a (single core) 2.6 Ghz Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM. It's setup with dual monitor - an old NVidea card (RIVA TNT2) with 32 MB of RAM for one monitor and the onboard Intel graphics for the other. I can change the amount of RAM the onboard video uses (BIOS settings) but maximum is 32 MB. This is what I use for Runescape now - it runs Windows XP, but doesn't meet the video RAM requirements.

- Qweesdy

I fail to see why your "best computer" couldn't run the new RS.

It doesn't say that it needs Windows to run it.

It will run on Linux/OSX/Windows as far as i know.

Or am i missing something?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Laptop

Intel® Celeron® 1.5 Ghz processor(minimum lol)

502 MB RAM

Display:

Name: Mobile Intel® 915 GM/GMS, 910GML Express

Chip Type: Same as the name

Approx. Total Memory: 128 mb

Current display mode: 1280x768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Desktop:

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40 Ghz

Ram: 766 MB RAM

Display:

Name: Intel® 82845G/GL/PE/GV Graphics controller

Chip Type: Intel® 828456 Graphics controller

Approx total memory: 64.0 MB

Current Display mode: 800x600 (32 bit)(85 Hz)

can someone tell me how/which card with which to upgrade the graphics card of the desktop to run anything runescape throws at me well, keep in mind it uses DDR memory & is a 5 yr old compaq=p

SOLUTION

The upgrade should focus on the desktop since Laptop are hard to upgrade due to their video card and CPU is pretty much fixed

Looking at your desktop configuration, your motherboard should be able to support AGP type video card (either 4x or 8x)

I was going to recommend Radeon 9600Xt 128mb, but it seems that model have been discontinued, so try this one out

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1650PRO 512MB AGP8x (about 75 bucks Canadian)

again, you should always take your computer in to a computer shop, and bring the motherboard manual with you so the store clerk can help you decide the right video card

Another thing you can probably upgrade is your RAM, its just me, but I probably will upgrade it to 1Gig configuration since I dont like to run games at borderline requirement, I found Xp system run best with 1gig of ram anyways.

Once you upgrade your video card, you should be able to turn up your screen resolution for better graphic viewing

a happy Runescaper

£k-4k... NOOOOOO!! Seriously it shouldn't come to that, I'm saving up for a machine that's going to be able to play all the games out there and it's around £800( though no monitor, so probably more like £1050 with one)

Q6600( quad core 2.4ghz, it's roughly £130, you can overclock it to 3ghz by changed ONE value, this thing overclocks so easily you could probably do it on the stock CPU cooler although to play it safe i'd buy the artic cooler 7 for around £15, it's amazing for it's price.)

Obviously you need a good quality power supply, corsair do great ones, theres a modular 520watt powersupply for £70ish, it's won tons of awards for best power supply for gaming rigs.

4gb DDR2 6400PC ram( 2x2 sticks, get a good brand, probably cost you around £75, DDR3 is like treble the price and tbh it's not worth it right now, DDR2 is still the main stream and will be for another year or so until prices go down to something reasonable)

You could SLI, although one pricey card is easier IMO since you don't have to buy two new cards next time you upgrade. IF you wanted to the 9600GT's apparantly scaler very well and for the price, around £120 each, it's an amazing deal, two of those will blow one 8800GTX out of the water, if you want to SLI more pricey stuff then buy two 8800GTS 512mb cards, these are equal to and sometimes beat the 800GTX on games and are £50 cheaper, even the 9800GTX is a little cheaper LMAO.

Extreme is sound card is really unnecessary IMO, on board sound these days is very good, you could splash out( and i would) on an creative X-fi gamer ( £60) heard great things about them.

Blue ray, well it has nothing to do with gamings, it costs like £250, ok get it if you want but it's not a necessary part of a gaming rig.

1TB is a bit much for me, but yeah you could go with it, probably £100ish

PsyX card, no way in hell!!! Seriously they don't help gaming, friend of mine bought one and he is really sorry for it. :lol: I'm sure it;s great for 3D design but just like the £500 graphics cards, they are great for 3D design, they suck for games( not designed for them)

Motherboard, you could go crazy and spend £300 or get a pretty good one for £80-100, depends on what you could.

Really you could build a best of a machine for £800-£1000( plus say £250 for a nice 24" monitor)

my friends comp which cost her £960( althoguh if she built it herself it would have been more like £800 flys through any game I've played on it, even supreme commander with eight players, and that's with only one 8800GTS 512mb, those things rule. :P :P

Basically yeah you could buy an Alienware amazing comp for £4k, but they charge you more then double what it costs for you to buy the parts yourself, i guess it all depends on budget really.

Sorry for the tech talk if anyone didn't get that, i'm new to the techness but i am trying to learn about hardware choices from experts so i can make wise decision and not go overkill and rip myself off when i eventually buy my new computer.

Actually, compfreak pointed out that there are computers that worth 10k with even crazier spec on it, but the idea behind either the 4k or 10k computer is that you can really go hardcore on all the hardware if you get the cash.

What I simply did with that configuration is go to one of the local computer web site, and pick most expensive gaming system they offer, plus turn up all the optional upgrade you can do to it.

Somone mention that you can simply buy something that just below the "Top Speed" components such as video card and CPU, thats what I probably will recommend as well. Since there is no point to spend all the cash on computer, and knowing it will be obselet in a few years again, we are all simply upgrading the computer for the sake of gaming.

I know that most of the motherboard nowadays have good build in sound card, some motherboard company even work with Creative to design some creative brand on board sound, again, its just my personal preference to have a discrete sound card rather than onboard.

I bought my computer back in 2002, and I did a major upgrade to it in 2005 again (add in a new CPU, upgrade the ram from 256 to 512, to 1gig, video card, dvd burner, new hard drive, power supply, TV/Fm Card and some onboard fans), all for the sake so I can play few newer game title back then like Doom 3, Thief deadly shadows, and F.E.A.R. The funny part was that my motherboard only goes up to 4x AGP, and I bought a 9800pro 128 mb 4x/8x, so I can't even utitlize the full potentials of my video card. Even after all the hardware upgrade, I go as far as upgrade my CPU fan, video card fan, and motherboard fan for better heat dissapation, bought a new power supply to support all new stuff on it. For the most part, I am happy with it since I can play most of the game titles now and the graphics on existing games like Need for Speed, Halo, Counter strike look way better than before, and its totally enough for school and work productivity portion. So the system is more of a multimedia/gaming/work center.

The main goal is to buy a moderate computer, and a system you like and pick out yourself, and keep the software part as smooth as possible. (I avoid download weird softwars that might mess up the computer ), I even add in a TV/Fm card so I can watch TV, and listen to radio when I work on my computer (also record them if I want). Hopefully all that works out and you can keep using the computer for years go come.

a happy Runescaper

I think an easier tip can be say that if you have a P4 CPU, with enough ram like 512 to 1gb, all you really need to do is upgrade the video card, any card thats labels Radeon or Geforce will be fine. Even upgrade your computer such as video card or RAM would definitely help in non RS aspect as well.

Basically, system thats 4 years or older, 140 bucks should allow you to get a Radeon X1650 pro video card with 1gb memory upgrade that runs for Xp systems

Systems with Vista should be fine, but the Ram should be 2 Gig at least, and follow the same rule for Video card (I would probably go for one thats close to 200 bucks on this one, so it last longer in terms of future gaming requirement)

a happy Runescaper

intel dual core 8400 3.0ghz overclocked to 4.0ghz

4gb crucial 8500 1066mhz ram

8800 gts(g92 core) 512mb

just wanted to brag about my system :P

hope you all can run new runescape

dragons drop 3x dragon chain (1 lost by a scammer =( and second lost by accident

8800 gts(g92 core) 512mb

Hi everyone, I'm back. 3 day vacation was great, now let's get down to business. As for the guy I quoted, your going to do some nasty things to that poor CPU overclocking it like that even if you do have an amazing cooler. Crank it back a few notches and watch it last much longer.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Hi,

Doh. I don't meet the requirements...

My best computer is a (quad core) 2.5 Ghz Core 2 with 8 GB of RAM and a 256 MB Nvideo GeForce 8600GT. It's running Gentoo Linux and I won't be switching it back to Vista, so that won't meet the requirements.

My second best computer has a pair of dual core opterons (2 Ghz each, 4 CPUs/cores total) and 4 GB of RAM. I don't know what the video card is, but this machine runs FreeBSD and it's too noisy for gaming (1U rackmount server with hotplug SATA RAID array, that sounds like an industrial vacuum cleaner when it's running).

My third best computer has a (single core) 2.6 Ghz Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM. It's setup with dual monitor - an old NVidea card (RIVA TNT2) with 32 MB of RAM for one monitor and the onboard Intel graphics for the other. I can change the amount of RAM the onboard video uses (BIOS settings) but maximum is 32 MB. This is what I use for Runescape now - it runs Windows XP, but doesn't meet the video RAM requirements.

- Qweesdy

I fail to see why your "best computer" couldn't run the new RS.

It doesn't say that it needs Windows to run it.

It will run on Linux/OSX/Windows as far as i know.

Or am i missing something?

No, you're right. All you need is a Java Runtime Environment for the machine, and you're pretty much set. That's how I'm running it on Ubuntu right now. :P

8800 gts(g92 core) 512mb

It's going to be a miracle if that machine lasts another year and a half. Tone it down already so you can enjoy it longer. Sure, super-hyped up specs are one thing, but they don't help you when the processor finally walks off the job.

I meet requirements. 2gb ram and 1.7ghz core 2 duo.

...Really? So your graphics card is good, right? Because that's what we're really focusing on here.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I don't agree that a 1Ghz overclock will kill his processor in a years time or so. The expected life time of most processors is actually a pretty long time, 10+years( which is why you often see people on 8 yr old computers....ugh). From what i have read, some processors overclock more easily and more safely then others. the Q6600 and E8400 for example overclock really really well and you don't even have to up the voltage to the Q6600 to get from 2.4Ghz to 3Ghz, all you do is change the FSB. So really even if his overclock cuts the lifespan of his processor in half, he's probably going to upgrade in 4-5 years anyway( i assume since that's a powerful system, he likes good specs so he will upgrade more often).

Back on to runescape matters, has Jagex said whether this graphical update comes out near the beginning of July or right at the end?( i bet it comes out like two weeks later then they say it will, good old bugs they run in to. :P )

cakesncats056-1.jpg

I'm quite sure my main computer can handle the new graphics (It runs Doom 3 on high setting), but my laptop's a bit iffy, since I'm not sure about the graphics card.

When they say 64MB for the graphics card, does video memory count? Hope it does, because that's all DirectX will say about my graphics card. A little clarification is very welcome. If it helps in anyway, my laptop can run Warcraft 3 : Frozen Throne no problem.

Air_Dragon15.png

Wow topic is still going :)

Well done sent <3:

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

is this good enough ,i have no idea:

ati mobility radeon 9000/9100 igp.

that's the 3d card i guess :P

computer:

pentium® 4 cpu 3.20 ghz

3.20ghz. 348 mb of ram.

im worried about the 3d card.

thanks in advance

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

I'd be more worried that you have under 512mb ram.

There are multiple versions of that mobility Radeon 9000 , one has 32mb, one has 64mb and one can share up to 128mb from your main memory, although sine you only have 384mb that wouldn't be a good idea. :P

cakesncats056-1.jpg

Hmm I think I have a problem:P

Processor: Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz

Memory: 478Mb Ram

but my graphical card :( :

Chip type: Sis 661FX Rev 01 (32.0 MB)

This computer could run the sims 2, and some other games, but hmm...

99AgilitySignature-1.jpg

QP cape (20 october 2007)

I got

Speed: 2.8 Ghz

Memory: It says 510 MG RAM, but also 636 used and 612 left (1,248 total) :-k

Graphics: VisionTek RADEON 9200 - 128 MB

under the hood

I'm good! Now for a montage of smilies that all mean the same thing

\' :thumbup: :thumbsup: :thumbup: :D :) ::' :mrgreen: ;) <3:

Hyt Chat FOREVER

Killy_Da_Kid.png

Killy_Da_Kid.png

I have quit RuneScape. I have posted on the Leaving sticky saying so. Goodbye.

"Too late... my time has come... gotta leave you all behind and face the truth."

~ Freddie Mercury ~