Guide to RuneScape's new Graphics - Do YOU meet the Req's?

Sentry_Wolf

2.40GHz (2CPUs)

2048MB RAM

GeForce 8800 GTS (512MB)

Edit:

My old pc

2.40GHz (2CPUs)

512MB RAM

ATI Radeon 9700 (128Mb)

Nukearcher.gif

Ranged 101/99, Str 105/99, Att 105/99, Hp 106/99, Def 100/70, Magic 102/99

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the right amount of GhZ and RAM, however I have an integrated Intel memory card of exactly 64mb. Assuming I've seen many others with Intel video cards as well I almost can't believe Jagex made it unable for Intel video-cards to run the new graphics.

ResisttheNWO.png

ResisttheNWO.png

I got the right amount of GhZ and RAM, however I have an integrated Intel memory card of exactly 64mb. Assuming I've seen many others with Intel video cards as well I almost can't believe Jagex made it unable for Intel video-cards to run the new graphics.

Technically its not a video card, its a graphics media accelerator built into the motherboard. And it just doesn't have the horsepower for any serious gaming; its no fault of Jagex. Sure, you can probably play a few games with the settings cranked all the way down, but consider that some computer that get 60+ FPS on low settings can barely hit 1 FPS on high, and you'll realize just how much increasing the settings scales up the power required. I guess it depends on how much Jagex allows you to scale back the new graphics, but playing on the old high detail isn't the end of the world.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Yay glad everyone is using mine and sentry's guides :)

Hope everyone can play it. oh compfreak if you look at my specs on my guide on the first post will i be able to run it? I'm sure i can :)

Cheers

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

My graphics card says: Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

What does that mean? :?

Can somebody give me a second opinion? At first I got a maybe, I wonder if someone can be a little more specific.

]

Can somebody give me a second opinion? At first I got a maybe, I wonder if someone can be a little more specific.

Well its an integrated graphics card if your other pc specs meet the reqs ok then that should be ok. Have a look at its memory capacity

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

Ok, I'll be more specific. The Intel integrated chipset family is a series of fairly wimpy graphics chips that use system memory instead of their own. They cannot run most games at anything but minimal settings. Jagex has not given details on just how much their game will take to run; based on the specs they give, it will require a dedicated graphics card, which your Intel chip is not. No matter who tells you what, the bottom line is no one really knows outside of the Jagex employees. Wait until it comes out. Until then, don't believe anything one way or the other; we really can't tell, even though I feel that it probably will not be able to run it, based on the number of textures and lighting effects. You almost certainly will not be able to run it in full screen at a decent resolution with anti-aliasing on. End. Of. Story. No one knows, and no one can because all Jagex has said is vague generalizations such as "most computers can run it", and a couple of lines of unspecific hardware requirements.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Well its an integrated graphics card if your other pc specs meet the reqs ok then that should be ok. Have a look at its memory capacity

No, integrated is the lowest common denominator, if that can run it anything can. Memory is a wildly inefficient benchmark for integrated graphics; I can configure an old integrated graphics chip that can run virtually no games to have over 1 GB of memory. Does this mean it can run games now? No, I will see a tiny difference. The cheapest and slowest 128 MB graphics card out there would far, far outdistance it. If Jagex tells us that integrated graphics can run it, literally all (99%+) of computers manufactered in the past 4 years will run it. This might be possible in 800X600 with all of the settings toned down, but at anything higher would cause such a drop in frame rates to render it (Little gaming humor there) unusable.

DeviledEgg24.png

Yay glad everyone is using mine and sentry's guides :)

Hope everyone can play it. oh compfreak if you look at my specs on my guide on the first post will i be able to run it? I'm sure i can :)

Cheers

Ironic how the creator of the guide on how to check if you meet the reqs is asking me if he meets them :lol: Just kidding, the guide itself is very good at showing how to check your processor frequency, memory capacity, and graphics card. Kudos for quoting me on how the amount of "memory" in your graphics card is meaningless when you have integrated graphics, which may or may not not run Runescape satisfactorily. Sadly, the majority of the posts have been from people with shared graphics (like yours), and I cannot satisfactorily answer if that will run it. You'll just have to wait it out.

DeviledEgg24.png

Mine is above the reqs. But the current comp i am using atm (my old bad one) has the reqs but lags a lot even now when playing RS. I know the other one should play smoothly, but this one... eh.. has reqs but lags.. oh well.

mathisfun.png

No, I unfortunately don't. I apologize to people who can be offended, but this computer is a piece of [cabbage].

Specifications:

•  
    [*:5jqg2gx1] 64 MB of RAM

[*:5jqg2gx1] 350 MHZ (Pentium II Processor)

[*:5jqg2gx1] Windows 98 Second Edition

:wall:

Anyway to check the video card on Windows 9x Operating Systems?

No need to. You have no chance whatsoever of running it. I'm halfway surprised you can run the regular runescape. :lol:

I know.. Pass me the flamethrower please. :twisted:

Well, I might be able to get my newer computer fixed up though... It has:

•  
    [*:5jqg2gx1] 2.2 GHZ (AMD Athlon 3500+)

[*:5jqg2gx1] 512 MB of RAM

[*:5jqg2gx1] Windows XP Professional SP1 (should be getting that changed once it's fixed up)

Well, just to tell you, there's a lot to fix up on it. It needs more drivers, a sound card (I have no clue how my second cousin was able to use it without a sound card. #-o ), a new Windows service pack, might be able to give it more RAM, overclocking maybe, and installing all the Microsoft updates (It's going to take forever. #-o )

That stuffs cheap and easy :thumbsup:

You comp doesn't have an on board sound card (built in to the motherboard?)

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

GAWD, a lot of you people have such good, new, computers that it makes me feel bad=/.

IDK why jagex expects everyone to have 1-2 year old computers =(. They are doing too many updates for the minorities.

Hopefully I can get my parents to buy a new computer(probably will buy it too considering my parents and my powers of persuation=))

I meet every req but the processor :wall:

1.14GHz only :o . This computer must come from medieval times :/

You should get a new one then. If you're careful, it's easy enough to install. ;)

P.S. If your processor is from medieval times, mine must have came from the stone age.

j0xPu5R.png

GAWD, a lot of you people have such good, new, computers that it makes me feel bad=/.

IDK why jagex expects everyone to have 1-2 year old computers =(. They are doing too many updates for the minorities.

Hopefully I can get my parents to buy a new computer(probably will buy it too considering my parents and my powers of persuation=))

Jagex really really don't expect that, this computer i'm using is 4-5 years old.

It has a 2.4ghz celeron( not great, pentium is way better) processor

had 512mb ram but now it has 1.25GB

had a 128mb radeon 9200( which could probably handle this), now has a 7600GS( not great, only cost like £40 and there's cheaper out there that could probably play this graphically updated runescape)

so really they aren't expecting anything much, compared to quite a few games released in the last two years these requirements are pretty low to be honest.

cakesncats056-1.jpg

Actually, ANY computer bought within the last 3 years should be able to easily meet the requirements. Any mid-range or above computer bought within the last 6 years would be able to meet the requirements too, I'm sure.

Even the really, dirt cheap $350 computers sold these days have AT LEAST a 1.8ghz dual core processor, 1GB ram, and the intel integrated 3100 (which would run the new runescape perfectly fine...this is leagues ahead of the previous GMA integrated).

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

Keep in mind that most computer users don't really know their computer specs that well, but here is some tips to know if you can run the full screen mode.

CPU requirement is usually not a concern since if your CPU speed is higher than 1.5Ghz (I guess either Celeron, P4, or Core 2 duo, or AMD) will definately run it.

Ram: Most computer have 1 Gig standard ram, so that shouldn't be a concern (unless you have a shared video card,which drains it) Most computer that runs Xp have 1gig, the ones with Vista usually have 2 Gig

Video card: I think this is THE MOST important part, basically, to put it in a simple term, if you have a intel chip stated, then it's probably not enough to run it, so I always look for ATI or Nvidia, if you have ATI or Nvidia on the go (for laptops or some desktop), then its slightly better, but not much (with the exception of new ones like Nvidia 7000m or newer ATI ones x1200, maybe better?). If you have video cards has its own memory 128, 256, 512mb, and does not drain your main Ram memory, then it should be discrete (its own memory source)

Keep in mind that even if you do meet the requirement, and you like to run things in the background, you might have alot of laggy situations. My gaming experience sometimes lag when something is updating in the background, like anti virus softwares.

My computer specs is 2.6 P4, with 1Gig of ram, and 9800 Pro 128mb, but it actually lag sometimes when I ran RS because, I am using wireless, and wirelss will hamper alot of online gaming exp, and if your computer have some odd things installed (junk program, and what not) it will tend to slow down the computer as well.

Most game titles nowadays have minimum requirement, and recommended requirement, I dont really know if the requirment Jagex released is minimum or recommended, but if your spec meet borderline of it, then its best to clean out your computer (those junk softwares, and useless toolbars), and program do a system defrag, and clean our your internet temp files. To ensure smooth gaming experience, and knowing alot of people's computer are buggy (crashes often for no reason) might want to look into repairing or reinstalling OS first (back up all files of course)

Those are my own opinions, so again, might not be entirely accurate.

PS: Computer are pretty cheap nowaday, 700 to 800 budget could get you to a moderate computer, but again, to spend all that when you get a good computer that already doing all the stuff seems abit excessive, then again, thats why there is hardcore gamers spending at least 2k on their computer (I should know, I spend 20 bucks for a mousepad, and 65 bucks for a gaming mouse, and they are only "moderate" in first person shooting ability, dont know how that will help my RS training, lol, at least it helps if you play CS or other shooting games)

a happy Runescaper

If you dont have the graphics card requirement, then you can buy a cheap card for maybe $60, and RAM is even cheaper, depending on the type you need. But if you dont have the processing power then it would probably be easier just to by a new PC.

The card is less likely to be a problem because it can draw on RAM memory if it doesnt have enough ( there are exceptions though), so as long as its not something crazy like 16MB youll be fine as long as you have enough RAM. The worst case scenario would likely be that you need to turn a couple of settings down.

But you wouldnt need to by one of the super Quad processor water cooled behemoths if you cant handle it.

mgssteelwarol7.png

While I'm here, I might as well offer a touch of support for the Linux users. I posted this guide (partially) on the RSOF, and I hope that it can be of some help.

Note that most Linux users know how to find their own information, but at least this helps a bit. I've tested these commands myself, and since they're all through the terminal, they should work with any distribution.

To get to Terminal (GNOME):

Applications > Accessories > Terminal

To find out how much RAM you have:

free -m | grep -i mem

[This will tell you (in megabytes) how much memory you have on your system in total, and free. Pay attention to only the first number.]

Example:

Mem: 1899 < This means I have about 1.9GB available memory. (Multiply the value you get by 1024 to get the real GB value.)

To find out the type of graphics card you have:

lspci -v | grep -i vga

[This will tell you the type of graphics card that is detected on your machine.]

Example:

00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7000M (rev a2) (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

This means that I have an nVidia GeForce 7000M card. You can ignore pretty much everything else. (You will need to Google this to see how much memory you have, or if you're using a driver such as fglrx or nvidia_new, you can query it directly. Hit Alt + F2 and type in nvidia-settings, then go down to GPU 0, and look at how much memory it has available.)

To find out how fast your processor is:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i cpu\ MHz

[This should tell you how fast your processor is *currently* running.]

Example:

cpu MHz: 800.000

cpu MHz: 800.000

It shows up more than once if you have more than one core in your processor.

Note that said method above is sometimes inaccurate, since my processor does *not* run at 800MHz. Most newer processors support frequency scaling, and only use as much as they need at any time. If the above method gives weird results, use the following 3 steps to get an accurate measure.

1) Right-click on an empty space on your menu bar and add-to-panel "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor".

2) Add it to the desktop, then click on the maximum GHz possible, or click on "Perfomance".

3) Either note the CPU in GHz or run cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i cpu\ MHz again.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.