Clue Scrolls, still worthwhile doing?

mchainmail

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do them when I'm bored and my brother did 3 yesterday. 2 lv 2's and a lv 1. Best reward was a Yew Comp bow.

Meh his first TT item in over a week.

Of course, that's down to it's alch value.

I think all in all, clue values have devolved to their alch value on most items. With the exception of the very rare stuff, 90% of rewards will just be alched, yielding much less of the profit from before the GE when rune scimmies were 25-30k, and not 19k; platebodies were 65k and not 45k.

nh.jpg

*ahem* I believe that this is the worst clue scroll in recorded history. Prove me wrong. I got it 5 minutes ago.

WorstClueScroll.png

Snow_Miner.png

Slayer Drops

Dragon Chainbody (dust devil), Dragon Platelegs x2, Dragon Plateskirt x3, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x5, Dragon Spear x3, Shield Left Half x4

Staff of Light x2, Abyssal Whip x16, Dark Bow x17, Granite Maul x17, Focus Sight, Hexcrest x2, Black Mask x4, Leaf-bladed Sword, Mystic x31, Obsidian x13, Brine Sabre x2, Spirit Shield, Dragonstone x5

I remember when clue scrolls used to be considered to be in the category of rare drops,circa 05-06 like a couple a week if you were lucky, now i get 4 a day sometimes, and the rewards are not worth it to me to leave slaying with full invo of armour, guthans, charms, drops, potions, etc. gotta put it all away, get out you know your treasure trails armour and weapons and such and go waste 30 min for 50k, :thumbdown:

pbpmichael.png

pbpmichael.png

OMG clue scrolls are soooo annoying right now. i just had one where i had to do two puzzles, the first one took me about 45 min to do then i spent bout 1 hour on the second one and still couldnt figure it out. eventually i just dropped it and went on with my range training.

it was bad enough they made us go all over looking for things but now they make us waste our time with these stupid puzzles. :thumbdown:

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

The only time I don't do them straight after I get them is if I just drank a dose of super set.

I do them all because no matter how unlucky it can turn out, it is a good use of time. I know just about every lvl 3 clue by heart excluding coordinates, so I get them done in about 10 minutes, and my average reward is around 125k. Maybe it's just that I have gotten ranger boots before, so I know it is possible. ;)

usctrojanscopyde6.jpg

I just got a Guthix Platebody two days ago, and I've gotten guilded things.

It's a nice use of time and it can add a bit of a bonus to my aviansie trips.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

I keep one in my bank but I never do them. About 1 in 5 clues I'll get "lucky" and get a nice Rune Med Helm H4, or maybe even a magic composite bow. Even luckier and get the 1 in 25 clue for a pirate hat? Good for you, you've earned 88.4k for your 6 hours of doing clues with the big item.

Rune items aren't bad, but the average clue is usually a hatchet and a low value armor piece. It's not anywhere near 100k. And with clues getting more annoying to do, there are less and less reasons for doing them.

Here's what I'd like to do with clues:

•  
    [*:1dt8kkw6]Make clues far rarer. Right now you'll easily get one in any batch of 100 monsters. Increase the average to once in 1,000+ monsters. Come on, are there really so many hidden stashes of items around RS? No, they should be rare...no storyline problem.

[*:1dt8kkw6]Make clues slightly longer. I'd like them to be 10-20 steps instead of the current 5-8. This will make clues "more fun to do" and an actual activity instead of a short side project.

[*:1dt8kkw6]Make good items from clues more common. Since clue scrolls are now 10x as rare, you should definitely be getting a bucket helm, painted shield or some other low-value goody every 1-2 clues. And good items like Pirate Hats, Top Hats, Gilded Armor, God Armor, etc. should be more like 1 in 5 clues. 3a should be kept rare, probably 1 in 1k+ still.

This means:

1) When you see a clue scroll on the ground, you'll be happy, not depressed

2) When you do a clue, it will take you a while and feel more like a full minigame

3) You know your time was well spent because rewards are much better

4) People will always do clues as they aren't so continuously boring and low profit

If I slayed for a decent amount of time I could be leaving as many as 10 clue scrolls on the ground. Make Treasure Trails worth it.

2496 Completionist

^^^ um all that would just aggravate people more and this thread would explode with angry replies

1. clues are rare its just luck, you could spend months killin monsters and not get one then next week get one everyday

2. MAKE THEM LONGER!!! they are already incredibly annoying having to go all across runescape to find them

have you even done a clue scroll?

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

OMG clue scrolls are soooo annoying right now. i just had one where i had to do two puzzles, the first one took me about 45 min to do then i spent bout 1 hour on the second one and still couldnt figure it out. eventually i just dropped it and went on with my range training.

it was bad enough they made us go all over looking for things but now they make us waste our time with these stupid puzzles. :thumbdown:

Are you serious! :-# It takes me like 2 minutes for a puzzle.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Make clues slightly longer. I'd like them to be 10-20 steps instead of the current 5-8. This will make clues "more fun to do" and an actual activity instead of a short side project.

Make good items from clues more common. Since clue scrolls are now 10x as rare, you should definitely be getting a bucket helm, painted shield or some other low-value goody every 1-2 clues. And good items like Pirate Hats, Top Hats, Gilded Armor, God Armor, etc. should be more like 1 in 5 clues. 3a should be kept rare, probably 1 in 1k+ still.

A clue of 20 steps? That would take you almost an hour to complete it. Doing 4-6 (because those are the minimum and maximum steps in level 3 clues, not 5-8) steps in about 15-20 minutes and a chance of getting something great is far more appealing to me.

Top Hats, Gilded and God Armor 1 in 5? Third Age 1 in 1000? The market would just overflow with these kind of items, which means they will lower in price, making clue not as worthwhile as they are now.

I'd rather be surprised to see I get a decent/good reward then knowing, oh it's my fifth clue, I should get a Top Hat or Saradomin Plate.

Think please.

The Ultimate Green Dragon Guide

Don't hate me, just let me ride.

Lord, just give me life.

Make clues slightly longer. I'd like them to be 10-20 steps instead of the current 5-8. This will make clues "more fun to do" and an actual activity instead of a short side project.

Make good items from clues more common. Since clue scrolls are now 10x as rare, you should definitely be getting a bucket helm, painted shield or some other low-value goody every 1-2 clues. And good items like Pirate Hats, Top Hats, Gilded Armor, God Armor, etc. should be more like 1 in 5 clues. 3a should be kept rare, probably 1 in 1k+ still.

A clue of 20 steps? That would take you almost an hour to complete it. Doing 4-6 (because those are the minimum and maximum steps in level 3 clues, not 5-8) steps in about 15-20 minutes and a chance of getting something great is far more appealing to me.

Top Hats, Gilded and God Armor 1 in 5? Third Age 1 in 1000? The market would just overflow with these kind of items, which means they will lower in price, making clue not as worthwhile as they are now.

I'd rather be surprised to see I get a decent/good reward then knowing, oh it's my fifth clue, I should get a Top Hat or Saradomin Plate.

Think please.

I'm pretty sure he thought it out, when posting.

The length is just how he intends it to be. Long enough, so it isnt just a side project. But of course then there needs to be better rewards. The market gets protected by overflow by making the clues rarer drops. Makes sense to me.

And you know how luck works. Its not because the chance is 1 in 5, you get something every 5.

Maybe YOU should think before you post.