RS: scientific vs. relaxed approach

nickeley102

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It still baffles me that these topics keep on popping up.

Runescape is a game, and i don't see why people have oppinionated views on what others do in their own free time trying to have fun.

I can see a simple poll "what do you do" , but a discussion on how people choose to have the most fun in their free time isn't really a discussion at all.

If the topic was why, i'd see the point.

oh, and to be more on topic: I do whatever i feel like doing ingame. and go do something else if i suddenly feel i want to do that more :D

half and half, as with most people, for me,

i normally do something however i want or how think will be good, if by the end of it i felt it was not a very good method or a bit boring then next time i come to it ill try something more calculated or planned

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

after reading muggi's post on buying skills the thing that stuck out was how well thought out and calculated the approach to training was. In comparison i have always just sort of logged in and done my thing with little thought.

It got me thinking how many more levels i would have if i had spent my time more effectively by researching the most efficient (money wise and time wise) methods of training a particular skill. I got 70 range from smithing my own mith arrows

So which method do you use? relaxed or calculated?

Some people would argue that taking the slow road and discovery learning is more enjoyable, even if you gain less levels, would you agree?

Hopefully this doesn't

I think of a guy playing by science, I think of Oddfaery. On the way to 99, it's guaranteed that he will have researched and utilized the most effective way to do a skill, considering all angles.

Personally, I just do what I like. If spinning flax was the most effective way to get 99 crafting, Odd wouldn't hesitate. Its the best way. Its how it shall be done. If I had to spin flax, I'd definitely go find an X-Box game or something.

But I do believe it is important to KNOW the science. To research what can be done, what options are there. To figure out travel routes, side benefits from optional routines, economics of GE, etc. Find out what the best way is, see some pretty good ways along the way, and decide what's most fun for you.

Making your own arrows from scratch might not be the most efficient, but it was a process you enjoyed to repeat, which made leveling fun. But maybe with a little science, you would have found some process you liked even better.

With smithing, I started researching GE prices to see what was the most cost effective thing to smith. After seeing what was best, I found something I liked to do.

The best thing to do for me is to DK, and spend the money on addy bars and power smith. This would be the fastest way for Leesters to cape-up smithing.

Bleah. On the way, I found I really really enjoy taking all my rocking ranging equipment down to the avansies and power through them without needing food, prayer pots, or any supplies. With bones to peaches, I can kill literally forever. That is satisfying. How many bars can I get? How many hundreds of thousands can I alch? I love it down there.

So, thats what I do. I get bored after about 400 bars, spend some money on some more, then smith them into addy bars, fletch them, sell, buy more bars, and repeat until I'm down to about 200 bars. Then I'll go get more. Some other day. Is it the best? No. Is it something I enjoy? Yes, and that means I'll actually keep doing it. And thats how you get to 99.

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

Well, I like going the calculated way because I feel like ive saved time/money, then i waste that time/money going crazy in castle wars, fight pits, etc. But for most skills I do try to do the best method, because otherwise i feel like im wasting time.

Subzero-x3.gif

lulz wut?

Almost purely relaxed, until I need a skill for a quest, then I get a bit more mechanical in my training. Keeping access to my quest cape is my main goal, and letting it slip is unforgivable. Which is why I wonder why it took me so long to do Rocking Out...

everfreefire.png

everfreefire.png

I do a bit of both, I usually just set up goals for myself

and if I've actually stuck to the goal, and I'm almost done, I start obsessively calculating how much ore I need to get to level 60.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess tend more to the relaxed approach. It really depends on what I like.

My general rule is to do the calculations beforehand, inform myself of the possible training methods, to try them out and then to pick whatever is balanced enough to me fun/reward-wise. And it may very well turn out that I choose the method that isn't the most efficient.

For example, I got 10k herbs from slayer/farming. Instead of selling them and buying the most cost-efficient herbs, I just turned those 10k into pots, which I sold. It just gave me satisfaction to know I'd turned all of them in pots, getting me 90 herblore on the way. Not thought-out perhaps, but it gave me pleasure.

I have 99 slayer, but I never bought Guthan's. I use Sumona instead of Duradel, alch a lot of not so very worthy drops, take every coin drop, sometimes forget my pots or use simple combat pots instead of supers, farm between tasks and bury every big bone. Definitely not super efficient, but the 99 still came sooner than was strictly necessary to me. I just liked slayer enough to take it easy...

Now, I'm taking up agility. And it's quite possible I'll try to get a few k brimhaven tickets instead of doing the monkey course, in order to keep my sanity. Not sure yet. I did do the calculations and I do know the Monkey course is twice as fast, but I always liked the Brimhaven one. So, why not?

Prayer, on the other hand, I'm planning to get through as fast as possible, buying all the dragon bones and going guilded altar all the way. Even that'll take long enough to get thoroughly fed up with it, so the 99 may even never come.

All of the efficient players probably shudder at my thoughtlessness, but hey... I can't imagine getting 99 in every skill, nor do I want to. Whatever would I do then?

Relaxed.

The only time I use calculators is when I'm close to a level up and I want to know how many of X-object I need to produce to level up. I divert a lot in between skills, I have a short attention span. I'm hardly efficient, and have fun in the game.

I pick up every coin drop.

I bury every bone I see better then normal ones (and even those.... sometimes).

I gather most of the seconds for my herblore.

I make battle staves for crafting, from scratch and RCing my own cosmics.

I don't level agility since I generally hate it. Sometimes I get a relapse and walk through Brimhaven agility arena for 30 minutes, banking tickets and waiting until the next relapse. Cashing them in when (if ever) I get 1k with karamja gloves because that's the most efficient way *irony*.

I chop my own yews for making long bows, alching them in Ardougne at the nature chest not to die of boredom because every 3 alchs, I thieve the nature chest.

I got 99.99% of all the seeds from master farmers or as monster drops (mainly slayer), and farm all of them into herbs for herblore.

I could go on forever. I play the game the way I want, the way I still keep hoping everyones plays this game. Because that's what it is, a game. Not a chore, not work.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

All of the efficient players probably shudder at my thoughtlessness, but hey... I can't imagine getting 99 in every skill, nor do I want to. Whatever would I do then?

Shudder at your thoughtlessness? Never. That isn't thoughtless at all. In fact, it's clear that you're very aware of all the methods you choose to use, and your decision to eschew the most efficient methods is a very well-informed one. (Well, except that you mentioned the Ape Atoll course and not the Dorgesh-Kaan course, which is better once you get somewhere around the mid-80's.)

Personally, it's not inefficiency that I dislike--it's unawareness. I hang out in the w22 fishing guild, and a great many of the people there fish in Shilo Village. But heavy rod fishing is about 10k exp/hr faster than fly fishing in Shilo, as well as giving experience in three other skills, including agility, which many people detest training normally. And although trout and salmon end up turning a profit (as opposed to powerfishing barbarian-style and breaking even), it would make more sense to catch monkfish for profit and get an extra ~40m cash at the cost of 90 more hours of fishing. And if it's a balance of speed and profit, then it's more efficient simply to mix the two of those rather than fly fish. So why do people fish in Shilo still? For some people, it's because they don't know that the other methods are more efficient, and I try to clue them in when I can. But for those who know about the other methods already, they fish there because they find it more enjoyable, and that's pretty hard to argue with.

Bottom line is, I like to know the most efficient method for achieving my goals. However, one of my goals is to have fun. (Or as much fun as you can have sitting in a chair and clicking periodically.) And it's important to understand, as you've shown you do, that time and money aren't the only factors to consider when you train.

It all depends on what you enjoy the most about RS. If you love boss hunting, but still want to get high ranks in skill total, you'll be the kind of person who spends tons of money on skills to do them the fastest way. Why? Because you make tons of money by already doing the thing you love to do, so it would be smart to get your skills done fast so you can get back to hunting.

If you dislike boss hunting, theres a good chance you'll not be as big of a spender, and be more likely to just do the skills in the way you see fit. Of course boss hunting is just an example. If you love merchanting, runecrafting at 91, or any high profit activity. Odds are youll be more likely to spend spend spend when it comes to skills.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

If it's a random thing, like going and doing some woodcutting, or killing a few ankou, then I just go and do it. If it's a goal, I either calculate how many of whatever I need to make/do to that level, or what level I'll be after x amount of it.

It's funny though, I could be so rich, I could make money like there's no tomorrow, about 500k an hour for at least 3 hours a day if I really wanted to. I know I could do it, and I occasionaly do, but only for an hour or so. I just never really knuckle down.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Relaxed. Whats the point of a game when all you do is work? I mean, I can understand that people want to improve their characters, but I prefer to just log in and putter around for a while rather than buy 50k whatever and get exactly 'x' exp every single time I log in, and not do anything else until I'm finished.. :| Too much work for a game I guess lol.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

playing too scientific, like calculate and work out all you'll do before logging in til you go makes ruescape a chore, and not a game

I'd rather play for fun and relaxed style ::'

You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

Do not fear Death. Death is always at our side. When we show fear, it jumps at us faster than light. But, if we do not show fear, it casts its eye upon us gently and then guides us into infinity...

After playing the game for 6 years, one understands the point of RuneScape is to have fun. I never had fun grinding skills and playing "efficiently", even though I did it for years. It wasn't until recently that I renounced doing anything on RuneScape that I did not enjoy. I tell people to cram it when they tell me I'm doing things "wrong" or "inefficiently". I do what's fun, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hot Topiced ;)

Nazgul.jpeg

I tend to work multiple skills at once. For instance: farming, fletching, and wood cutting.

Or fishing, farming, and cooking.

Never argue with a dragon, for you are crunchy, and tast good with catsup.

agamoto.png

i always play at a relaxed method. hence why i havent got any 99's or over 5m in 7 years. ::'

but as i put quests on hold to get 99 defence cause its a skill i enjoy, i will find a path to get me exp and make me some money. last thing i want is a lv99 skill and no armor/weapon to suit it. ::' (though with the 590 cw tickets i think im right for armor looks.)

Popoto.~<3