Are WE ruining Runescape?

Danqazmlp

Before more of you go on ranting about how i seem to be telling you what to do, that was not the intention, my intention is to get you tinking outside the box, and what effect you actually playing is having on the game.

By WE i mean players who've attained all their main goals, played the game for 2-3+ years and pretty much have experiencd all runescape has to offer.

The way runescape works (or is supposed to) is that there are supposed to be numerous lower leveled players, and less high leveled players, this can be thought of as a traingle shape, with hiagher playrs at the point at the top, and lower level players at the bottom making up the majority of runescape players.

This 'should' move in a cycle to keep it working. Many people join the game and keep the supply of items high, some quit while leveling up, some attain the high levels and then once there get bored and quit. This 'should' keep moving, more people join more people quit in the same ratio, however, its not working that way.

In the begining of runescape untill around its peak imo late 06', this was all well and true, the lower levels outnumbered the higher levels dramatically. This helped the economy by keeping lower leveled items and raw materials low thus making secondaries and secondary skills profitable for having the higher levels.

However, nowdays people like me and you, aren't quitting, people have stuck around, yes many have quit but not as many as should be, because we like the game so much, we are in a way killing it, by not leaving for others to take our place, and keep the cycle going.

In the begining there were less higher levels than lower, now i fear we are verging on a time when the amount of lower level players is about the same as those higher level players, meaning less resources and items to go around, and making secondary skills no profit at all.

This also co-incides with i think a lack of new people coming to runescape, as i have said, i think the peak was around 06', now im not saying rs is dying, but i think it is on a slippery road if we don't get new lower level players, and get rid of some of those more experienced ones.

Now next time you log in and want to buy raw materials, think 'do i actually need this' because you may be depriving the economy of an item and slowing the cycle further.

P.S. Those who know my posts will know i type too quick and spell things wrong, if you see them i'll change them.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I think you should check out my skilling suggestion (see sig).

You see, the problem isn't that there are too many high levels, it's that there's not enough to DO at the high levels. With high and mid levels essentially taking up the same room, because you reach a ceiling and stop in far too many skills, there is an issue. If high level meant 90+ in most skills, there would be very very few high levels, and the issues would subside.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

I see where you're coming from, but it's unavoidable really.

I mean, people are going to get attached, if this was one of "Jagexs cycles," it couldn't be controlled.

I definatley can see it's obvious to the econemy, your point is backed up by the produce market being at a new low.

Follow me on Twitter!

FORGET NOT THE CHICKEN.

gravy.png

I have no intrest in helping "keyers" farm xp.

There has never been that many high levels quitting.

Low levels come and go rapidly

Medium levels about half make it half quit

High lvls who get there about 90% have and still do remain playing the game

Its not to do with player habits changing its to do with the fact overtime moire and more become high level and stay with the game hence the numbers grow.

But equally jagex is developing the games appeal to a far wider auidence as in younger children (age limit removed), and shallow players (graphics) and begining to appear at events like 3 and have more adverts across the web.

The "shortage" of resources is more related to the obliteration of rwters and bots than anything else. The ease of getting low level resources was a sideffect of bots and should not of happened now they are gone and balance is restored where by you cannot just buy every single major resource cheaply and quikcly, instead you have to pay a fair bit or do the work yourself.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

you only ruin runescape if you break the rules or stop paying for members. otherwise stop coming up with new theories on how runescape is morally bankrupt and we are the cause of it.

you only ruin runescape if you break the rules or stop paying for members. otherwise stop coming up with new theories on how runescape is morally bankrupt and we are the cause of it.

Ty for reading the post, did i mention morally bankrupt? I just posted my interpritation of how runescape is going when i thought outside of the box.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

You are asking us to think about getting our own resources because its good for the economy?

I could outright burn this so bad that I would have been banned straight away, but I will keep it simple.

If you play this game as a person who does not work for jagex, why would you change your playstyle just because it will effect the economy positively? I say just play the game like you want to, not because you have to.

Its simply not going to change anything, even if there are one hundred players who will do this, it will have next to zero dot zero effect on the millions of players or the economy.

If players make the game go broke because they have fun, you let them have that fun and watch the inevitable happen.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

it all depends on your point of perspective. It might not be only the high levels using up all of the supplies, it could be the mid levels trying to get higher skills, or even the lower levels who normally gather and sell realizing that it's better to use up rather than selling, therefore less raw materials flowing in the economy

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

While you have your perspective and opinion, I have mine, and mine says that what you say that "should," be happening, actually, shouldn't.

As an online game gets older, more players join and there should NEVER be the same amount of quiters as joiners. That would be totally bad for Jagex and the company would simply make a flat, static income. In order to grow, the players have to as well, and so as time goes on, the game gets more and more players, and more and more profit. That way, that extra profit can be used to pay for more staff to keep up with the growing population.

Now...as for raw materials and such. That is entirely my decision, and when I play this game, I usually play to level in the quickest way possible. Some people get all their raw materials by themselves, others, like me, who have the cash to buy skills, can do that if they prefer. It's actually quicker and smarter if what you're going after is speed and levels as opposed to cash.

Basically, I'm a little offended, because right now, with the way you've worded your post, it makes it seem as though you are telling me I need to quit just because I'm a high level and have been around for a long time. I don't intend on quitting this game anytime soon because it brings me joy and gives me something to take my mind off the intense musical theatre program I'm currently in. A stress reliever, if you will.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

i think that the trading change killed it because all of us who had skiller accounts to make our own raw materials had all of it frozen on that account with no way to transfer to your main account. And those people that trained for years pures now have nothing to show with the oking wilderness update.... all i can say is that there is nothing more to kill in runescape and it cant be anymore "ruined" :wall: :wall: :ohnoes:

34sny53.png

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

So all the problems are our fault because we actually like the game and haven't quit yet? Wow, what haven't we heard?

2480+ total

Good point... Well that is right how more high leveled ones are sticking around, but that is probably because of: New skills, graphics, levels, items, quests, and more. Basically, Jagex is making RS sweeter and sweeter, thus having more people staying around to level up and get there Items.

... But what happens when they get their levels? Well, either Jagex has made more things that they want, they just have no life, so they spend it on RS, they quit because they are getting bored, etc., or, they just stay on because it is fun.

So, basically, you are half right. You are right about high leveled players staying on, but that is because Jagex makes it all to tempting :)

Please, Google or Search on Yahoo! f2p village, and help the community grow :) Check it out.

I think that massive peak of suppies you speak about was just macros, rwts, and gold farmers....But I guess you have a point with all these new updates the high lvls tend to stick to RS.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

i think this is totally off. it makes no sense. you talk of not making profits with skills and you expect to make a profit if you buy everything? how stupid do you have to be?

you say people cant make money with skills. look at the price of yews and lobsters. people are making money. and for the fat cats with a lot of money that money gets spent that's good for the economy.

if you're a long time player, chances are you're going to buy materials from newer players and that helps them earn money and that's good. much better than buying materials off bots and cheating the newer players from making decent money.

some people do try to ruin things for others but that's always been true of some people since forever.

and for what it's worth, yes there are many high lvls but at the same time, there are way more low and midlvl players. the majority of players are low and mid lvl.

i do think there is an element of familiarity that makes some players think they should get everything and that all game content should be directed at them. and some players are just bitter and hostile and out to create problems.

for the negativity i've seen numerous times and the [bleep]ing and moaning that's all from "veteran players", not all veteran players complain but, new players do not come to the game with that level of negativity; they pick that up from the players that are super negative and discontented. so in a way, some people do try to ruin things for others.

it's the veteran players that bought gold, fed the bots and kept them fat, for cheap raw materials that need to wake up and realise that their greed and laziness brought on many necessary changes to the game and if you are lazy and cheap you arent going to get far in the game and you shouldnt imo. for all the cheats, botters, rwters, lurers ask most of them what the main problem is in runescape and they'll answer totally clueless; they will say it's the new players or something as ironically idiotic when the truth is it's them that is the problem. or was. and you're not alone. i'm sure there's rwters and high lvls that want the bots around but i'm glad they're gone and if you cant afford to buy materials, here's a concept for you; gather your own. 100% profit.

and if you want to spend all your time playing castle wars; that's your choice. just dont complain that the rest of runescape doesnt cater to you. that's been a real problem with some people thinking the game should change to fit them when it's them that need to adjust to the game.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

Thanks for the disrespectful post, think about what you say next time.

i think this is totally off. it makes no sense. you talk of not making profits with skills and you expect to make a profit if you buy everything? how stupid do you have to be?

When i Joined rs, and up to around the time barrows came out from what i remember, you could make money on alot of skills when buying EVERYTHING, compared to nowdays the money you can make off secondary skills is minescule.

you say people cant make money with skills. look at the price of yews and lobsters. people are making money. and for the fat cats with a lot of money that money gets spent that's good for the economy.

Those are resource gathering skills, i never mentioned no money making in them

if you're a long time player, chances are you're going to buy materials from newer players and that helps them earn money and that's good. much better than buying materials off bots and cheating the newer players from making decent money.

Yet again, you misread what i said, i didn't say buying all materials is evil, i said think about when you buy materials unnesecarily (sp?).

some people do try to ruin things for others but that's always been true of some people since forever.

yes i know #-o

and for what it's worth, yes there are many high lvls but at the same time, there are way more low and midlvl players. the majority of players are low and mid lvl.

Again it would help if you read my post, i said 'now i fear we are verging on a time when the amount of lower level players is about the same as those higher level players'

i do think there is an element of familiarity that makes some players think they should get everything and that all game content should be directed at them. and some players are just bitter and hostile and out to create problems.

Yes there are players like that

for the negativity i've seen numerous times and the [bleep] and moaning that's all from "veteran players", not all veteran players complain but, new players do not come to the game with that level of negativity; they pick that up from the players that are super negative and discontented. so in a way, some people do try to ruin things for others.

Again yes some do try and ruin things for others

it's the veteran players that bought gold, fed the bots and kept them fat, for cheap raw materials that need to wake up and realise that their greed and laziness brought on many necessary changes to the game and if you are lazy and cheap you arent going to get far in the game and you shouldnt imo. for all the cheats, botters, rwters, lurers ask most of them what the main problem is in runescape and they'll answer totally clueless; they will say it's the new players or something as ironically idiotic when the truth is it's them that is the problem. or was. and you're not alone. i'm sure there's rwters and high lvls that want the bots around but i'm glad they're gone and if you cant afford to buy materials, here's a concept for you; gather your own. 100% profit.

Actually from my experience i found most people who brought gold were between the 60-100 mark. Don't get all 'gather your own materials' on me, i do that, i rarely buy my materials, i was generalising.

and if you want to spend all your time playing castle wars; that's your choice. just dont complain that the rest of runescape doesnt cater to you. that's been a real problem with some people thinking the game should change to fit them when it's them that need to adjust to the game.

Now this is what has annoyed me in your post, i hate people who get disrespectful of me. I've never once said the game should change to fit me, if i have please point it out to me, i've said we should 'think' about the game on a grand scale.

Now please read my post and think outside of your own little world for 2 minutes please.

I'd also like to say my post wasn't made in all seriousness saying 'Do this now or you'l bring rs down!!!' I meant it as something to think about, quander over, get the mind thinking, i don't see why everybody goes so defensive when i a plain thread is posted lol.

zqXeV.jpg

I understand completly what your saying; that the economy should function in a pyramid system and everything, but your just a tad wrong.

a couple statements you made you should be careful with because they can hurt peoples feelings, but i'm not holding a grudge agasint you

The runescape community is atchually shaped like a sand clock istockphoto_3473715_sand_clock.jpg

The top portion is made up of high level players; whom are working on skilling, and obtaining large ammount of money; to be used in the economy

The middle is made up of both high and low level players who are obtaining product personally (raw material gathering) or through sales and converting it through skills to be sold and later reinvested (buying ore - selling bars)

The bottom portion is made up of low level players; whom are working on obtaining product, and selling it to obtain money for some sort term goals (Quests, armor, weapons etc)

The Runescape economy is shaped this way because it can be overturned to suit the opposite needs

where

The top portion is made up of low level players; whom are working on skilling, and obtaining money; to be used in the economy

The middle is made up of both high and low level players who are obtaining product personally (raw material gathering) or through sales and converting it through skills to be sold and later reinvested (buying ore - selling bars)

The bottom portion is made up of high level players; whom are working on obtaining product, and selling it

Runescape cannot be a cycle economy (in your description of a cycle economy) because the Runescape population only grows; therefore it has to have an economic system that can be reveresed (a sand clock)

Its NOBODIES fault except macroers and autoers

The other advantage of having a large high level player basis; is it makes difficult to obtain items cheaper then if it were which it isn't a pyramid system.

Hope that didn't hurt your feelings ::'

tyluke.png

Tyluke.png

only 2 skills below level 50 :)

Thats the kind of constructive post i like around here, not 'GTFO your wrong' lol, thanks for putting thought into the post.

zqXeV.jpg

Thats the kind of constructive post i like around here, not 'GTFO your wrong' lol, thanks for putting thought into the post.

I have some more thoughts:

-Low level players in reality do nothing to help the economy; (I'm not a Newb basher)

-The people who do influence the economy are the high and low level players in my sand clock description.

-High and low level players is a bad choice of words (its collecters and spenders) (high and low just refers to the usual location of that type of player)

-Collectors People who collect items; via mining, fishing and woodcut set the price because they have the product; and they say what their willing to sell for:

-Spenders People who buy items; via buying and selling; also set the price because they dictate what they are willing to spend for the product

- Sand which is the acronym for Supply & Demand

The middle portion of the sand clock more influences supply and demand because they are the ones who transfer or change products around either quickly or slowly (the movers and shakers).

Rembmer though this system is entirly reversable.

If a high level player buys Sharks to level his cooking he is the top portion of the sand clock BUT if he decides to sell those cooked sharks; he is in the middle or bottom

But I think you should apologize or reword what you stated. some of the things you stated may seem logical; but you should apologize for any misinterprations that were made (or clarify what you stated)

#-o everyone makes mistakes, and you will be forgiven

tyluke.png

Tyluke.png

only 2 skills below level 50 :)

To me it all sounds fine (if the forum was 2000 me's browsing they'd have a whale of a time reading this) but yeh i tried to clear up my intentions in the first line now,its meant to get people thinking and not taken in too much seriousness.

zqXeV.jpg

I think your right and what i think the solution is the new High Detail. The new graphics will bring alot more new low level people into the game,but at the same time it will keep more high level people from quiting because the graphics are so good and the game is so much fun. So we will just have to wait and see wich side will become more populated, the low level players or the high level players :|

Demond_1234.gif

Interesting read, I came in the 2005 period. Theres no chance people are going to quit just because it is effecting the economy. What did effect the economy was the Grand Exchange, thats why prices are getting ridicliously high or low and also the fact that more and more people are 'buying' their Skills (this is where suppliers come into the equation).

Although, I notice that the player count were dropping everyday (no more than 150k at a time I would say at peak times), especially the 10.12.07 updates. But now with the new graphics, the player count has boosted up to (190k at peak times and possibly a few times over the 200k mark). What this shows that new players and quitters are returning to RuneScape, and plenty of them are probably low/mid levels.

I'll admit the main problem is the stat cap. It's so relatively easy to get the 99, and now so many people have it, there ratio is becoming uneven.

If the stat cap was raised however, it would open all kinds of new playing fields, items, quests, achievements, power, etc. IF things actually become hard like some will say it was in RSC, it may fix the ratio.

All in all if there was a stat cap raise, the lower levels will make a

larger population of runescape, the mid-level players will fall in with the lower levels. The current high levels will make up the new mid-level category. And finally, there will be an entirely new high level group for those who can get the new high level.

To keep Runescape proportional, it'll be more grinding and grueling and slow xp to get to the the new level, as it was slow grinding, grueling, and slow xp to get the 99 in classic.

Bring back some nostalgic feel for the vets, maybe knock out a good portion of the tired old vets, keep the die-hard players happy for something to slave for, and generally, change the cap to a new revolutionary level.

This is a very far stretch, but if Jagex REALLY wanted to, They'd create a new, or multiple new islands to explore and level skills after you've achieved 99. It would be like a bonus level, and new areas to get the new level if the cap was raised. Once you acheive 99 Defence, you could travel to a new island, similar in size to a lot of Runescape's mainland (3D world map leak anyone?)

But it wouldn't be used mainly for Defense tactics. The land would have a lot defense xp base, but they could introduce new areas to train fletching for example, and bonuses for the higher levels of crafting. Not the mention it would give them a good way to finish storylines, in deeper detail. Start new storylines. Cross a number of different storylines. Create the long desired "high level quests".

I mean 99 is a thing of the past, as Runescape Classic is. 99 is one of the last features of Runescape Classic that has NEVER been changed. Runescape has been running for 7 years now, They need to move on to farther greatness.

Those are my thoughts on it though. If Jagex wants to change the ratio and expand the game greatly, they'd raise the stat cap. It'll open so many doors of opportunity for the game, and help it expand to further greatness.

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m