Do we need more "Ultimate" weapons?

Zierro

I vote for good claws :D What about fist weapons that allow your punching to be incredibly powerful?

Woohoo! Wolverine! 8-)

But no, I don't think a more powerful weapon is needed. As someone on the first page suggested (sorry I don't remember who), a possible idea would be a weapon that isn't more powerful than a godsword but that has a unique look to indicate its wielder's high combat level. Glowing godsword, anyone? :roll:

Dragoon_Z2.png

Dragoon_Z2.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making the Dark Bow faster makes a ranged ultimate weapon.

As of now it gets me the same xp as a magic shortbow, if only it was 2h speed at accurate...

Um. You don't get that much exp with dark bow lol.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

As of now it gets me the same xp as a magic shortbow, if only it was 2h speed at accurate...

I've been using it and I've tested it. Extensively.

Have you? I doubt it. Please, don't assume I'm an idiot because I have a view (supported with facts) that differs from yours (which is incorrect no less!).

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

I've been using it and I've tested it. Extensively.

Have you? I doubt it. Please, don't assume I'm an idiot because I have a view (supported with facts) that differs from yours (which is incorrect no less!).

I can tell you have not. The thing with dark bow is that it is MUCH slower, but shoots two arrows. In the short run, you MIGHT be able to get just less of MSB. In the long run, the msb will fire much faster, an genrally do more damage.

BTW, where are your "facts"? :ohnoes:

Owned_Nex.png

If an "ultimate" weapon was to be introduced to melee in the current circumstances, IE within the next couple of months or so, then yes it would be pretty much unbalanced. However, I remember when granite maul was released, it was the best weapon in the game and everybody wanted one because it could hit so unbelieveably high and had such a great special (20 x 2). Now, a couple of years on, granite mauls cost something stupid like 20k and are pretty much useless against decent players. This is partly because better weapons have come out, but also because many new armours have been released, increasing the amount of damage that players can take and shoving the granite maul down to the lower-level end of the game.

I believe the same sort of thing will happen in the future. I doubt the hitpoints skill itself will ever be able to be trained above 99, but perhaps in the future there will be armours giving +800 slash defence or giving a visible +10 hp bonus or a +50% hp regeneration bonus. Against those sorts of armours godswords would be nearly as useless as the granite maul is against the current top-level armours. If those sorts of armours are introduced we will most certainly need new weapons and new ways to deal damage.

But in the near future I think we will be seeing vast improvements to magic, range can deal extreme damage, albeit very innacurately, and melee has both the benefit of increased defence and high damage, but apart from crowd control and some miscellaneous lunar spells, mage is far less effective than it really should be. I think we will be seeing new range armours and weapons, maybe spells that require weapons, maybe some combat spells that require quests, however I doubt there will be a new spellbook since three is enough to deal with. We may even be seeing a complete re-work of magic.

I believe the same sort of thing will happen in the future. I doubt the hitpoints skill itself will ever be able to be trained above 99, but perhaps in the future there will be armours giving +800 slash defence or giving a visible +10 hp bonus or a +50% hp regeneration bonus. Against those sorts of armours godswords would be nearly as useless as the granite maul is against the current top-level armours. If those sorts of armours are introduced we will most certainly need new weapons and new ways to deal damage.

I do think the visible +10 Hp bonus is definitely a possibility. Look at the Ogre Spas. One of the spa boosts your HP temporary by a couple of levels. Now just imagine an armor with an ability to boost it even higher. The Hitpoints Cape can boost it by one extra level, so maybe we can have armor that boosts it by even more and they can stack. :D

Yes, I think it's more likely that Jagex will introduce armours that give permanent HP boosts than armours which have +800 slash defence. If we have "ultimate" armours with +800 defence it will enable new weapons to be introduced but it will mean that godswords will be hitting into the 40s max and weapons like granite maul will end up hitting around 10 max. HP-boosting armours will not only enable new weapons to be introduced, they won't take away the "fun" of the current WMDs, Godswords will still be able to hit 70s and it'll enable new weapons to hit into the 100s.

No. Not for combat at least. You got your 4 Godswords that can hit 70-80. Happy?

What needs some help is range. The crossbow update was a move in the right direction but you still don't really have many options. Crystal bow, dark bow, rune c'bow and mage bows? C'mon.

Mage could get a special staff or something with some casts that could only be done with that special staff. Maybe a quest reward? I don't really know about mage.

Yes! I think melée doesn't need anymore help and either dose mage mages have ancients range deft. Need update

king_kapugen.png

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of opinions on this. First of all, The godsword is quite strong, but the level difference from it and the whip is too small. Maybe the GS could have a higher requirement to use IMO. Also, adding more weapons would be good, but eventually, the weapons will get too strong. I like what they did for PvP worlds: Add strong weapons and armour, but give it a requirement (such as PvP worlds only). Maybe what they can do is have a weapon that is quite strong, but only able to be used in certain situations, such as a powered up version of darklight. It can only attack demons, but has incredible stats and spec. That way, more can be added with less of an effect on fighting other things

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

Yeah, but just like the fire cape.

Someone who has already defeated Jad should be able to do a round of Jad 1.5x more defencive, etc, to obtain a level 85 or 90 attack needed weapon, something like a..

Flame Sword? :P

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Yeah, but just like the fire cape.

Someone who has already defeated Jad should be able to do a round of Jad 1.5x more defencive, etc, to obtain a level 85 or 90 attack needed weapon, something like a..

Flame Sword? :P

Or perhaps you could choose between three rewards - melee, mage or ranged. I'd love to see some sort of lava barrage, or a bow which could store and shoot dragonfire, much like the shield.

Ah, such possibilities...

Personally I think we should have increased HP. As you stated, whips and Godswords combined with high stats can bring down 99HP fairly quickly. Raising it to 200 would probably do the trick, but I'm not so sure.

But then it would be too easy to kill bosses.

Owned_Nex.png

I personally do not think we need another ultimate weapon, since the god sword is far overpowered, but if I had to pick an ultimate weapon it would have to be for magic as melee have the god sword, rangers have the d bow but mage's have nothing.

We have an ultimate weapon in the form of a godsword, so on that point I would say no!

However, I think there should be a weapon that requires a much higher attack level, say 90. This would hit say 4 or 5 less max damage than a whip, but is say 1.5 to 2 times quicker. The success rate would be slightly reduced as well. This would make training much more fun and act as an insentive to get higher attack levels than the pathetic 70 needed for whip and 75 for a GODSWORD!

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots

Obsidian Drops:-13 x Cape/ 6 x Shield/ 6 x Maul/ 750+ Onyx Tips

I think you need 1 new staff where you dont need to use ay of the minor runes, like fire water, air, earth etc. and you should have to be like 70 or 80 mage to wield.

Also i think you should have a better version of the dark bow that shoots faster. about a 85 range req for that

Stroken_24.png

Stroken_24.png

instead of creating more super-awesome weapons similar to whips and godswords.

We need to bring in more variety with the normaly types of weapons. the core armory needs to be upgraded daggers, S.swords, maces, L. swords, scimitars, warhammers, hatchets, battleaxes and two-handers.

we need more core armory times as both an update to combat and smithing!

some suggestions: katana, flail, ninja stars, dual-swords (not like defenders), or grenades (simlar to chins)

these are some rough ideas, but at this time we don't need more elaborate fancy high level weapons.

great ideas though!

Merry Christmas :D

tyluke.png

Tyluke.png

only 2 skills below level 50 :)

I think you need 1 new staff where you dont need to use ay of the minor runes, like fire water, air, earth etc. and you should have to be like 70 or 80 mage to wield.

Also i think you should have a better version of the dark bow that shoots faster. about a 85 range req for that

Not needing runes would make magic too easy to train.

A faster version of the dark bow would overpower range.

Owned_Nex.png

I think a mage staff that nulls the need for all elemental runes could be workable if it had some setbacks. Also, maybe instead of providing runes it could be made to store up to a certain limit ex. you could put the runes into the staff up to say 200 casts of ice barrage, allowing space saving for pvp fighting.

The best choice for a ultimate weapon i can see for range would be the dragon crossbow, though im not sure how well it could work due to the power of the current dragon bolts. Personally, Id like to see a new 2handed crossbow besides the karil's cbow that would be powerful but obviously sacrifice defense due to the lack of shield.

For melee, the thought of a katana from the new eastern lands is a very tantalizing possibility. If it is released it will hopefully be 2 handed and fast, not sure about stats but clearly lower then gs.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem that the developers have to contend with is that, in Runescape, there is always a "best" weapon. The only way to make another weapon players will use with frequency is to make it, in at least some situations, "better." And beyond damage potential, there are very few ways to do that.

That said, here's a quote from Mark Rosewater, head designer of Magic: the Gathering R&D, on curbing power creep in trading card games. I think it's relevant here.

The danger behind "power creep" is that sets have to keep getting more powerful to compete with the sets that came before. Why? Because power is relative. In order for something to be powerful it has to be more powerful than the majority of other things. Fun doesn't quite work like this.

Something can be just as fun as something else without having to trump the previous fun. Fun is a threshold. To make something fun, you just have to pass that threshold. As long as it crosses the line, it's fun. Fun doesn't have to compete with other fun. For example, how much my children loved ice cream yesterday has no relevance on whether they'll enjoy going to the playground tomorrow.

What this means is we can ratchet up the fun in the game without causing ourselves any long term design or development issues. Our master plan, which thanks to you is now out of the bag, is to make every set as fun as we can.

In Runescape, the problem is that the only way to get a really different experience is, usually, to train a different skill, in which case new items in the other skill are no longer relevant. This makes the job of avoiding power creep significantly more difficult. It's clear, however, that Jagex is aware of this. Look at recently introduced content--say, Stealing Creation.

Most of the rewards from Stealing Creation are not better than ordinary gear. You will get slower xp playing Stealing Creation, buying clay helms, and training combat than you will training combat with a regular helm, because of the extra time spent playing. However, the bonus experience is good enough that if you enjoy playing the minigame, you don't need to feel like you've wasted your time in playing it.

A similar tendency is found in the Great Orb Project. Runecrafting tabs are obviously much faster for training runecrafting than running back and forth...the catch is that you need to play TGOP to get them. It's not faster than normal runecrafting when you take the extra time into account, but as with Stealing Creation, it's enough that you can feel as if you haven't been wasting your time on the minigame.

Essentially, what Jagex is doing is introducing nontraditional training methods that provide experience in the same skills, but give a radically different experience when you play them. A more obvious example is Vinesweeper--it's nothing like traditional farming, but it can still be used to train the skill.

I personally consider this to be a fine solution, but Jagex isn't pushing hard enough. Vinesweeper was incredibly weak as it was first released, and even after being pumped up it's still very weak. Jagex should have pushed harder and made it faster to obtain points. Sure, we might have ended up with a skill like thieving, where Pyramid Plunder is the fastest experience...but you never hear players complaining that Pyramid Plunder is boring.

I'm not a big fan of another recent attempt at creating new equipment without causing power creep, the ancient warriors' armour--temporary gear has an inherent un-fun-ness in losing your best equipment. Dying and losing millions is one of the most un-fun things that can happen in this game. The only worse thing would be being hacked or banned, neither of which are inherent game mechanics. The temporary armour basically ensures that after an hour of using it, you will, for all intents and purposes, die and lose millions' worth of equipment. And that is not fun.

Unless damage reducing armor and shields (similar to spirit shields and their damage reduction) are bought into the game and are READILY AVAILABLE to most players (not some ultra hard item to get that requires you to kill some level 720 with an ultra low drop rate) then MAYBE just maybe there should be a stronger weapon than a godsword.

Because think about it this way, people can already almost instantly KO a 99 hp player with luck on there side (blitz, ags spec).

Another weapon stronger than that couldn't be even a tiny bit balanced.

O.O

I think 4 years of an abyssal whip jugggernaut is enough. We will need much better armor before that can happen, though. Weapons are already way too strong.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

We deffinately dont need any more weapons IMO....i mean like many other people who are in this forum posting...i believe that our weapons are where they should be....some of the weapons can do pretty sufficient damage to even the highest leveled players...i would actually hate it if they made even more powerfull weapons...because your already paying high prices for the GS's...and if they would make a weapon thats even slightly better then the GS's i can imagine the price would be completely ridiculous...and the game doesnt need any more overpriced items...or weapons......

Fire_Water06.png

Fire_Water06.png

We Don't Choose Our Birth, And We Don't Choose Our Death......

fire_water06.gif

Fire_water06.png

I think that players need a little more variety.

The two major melee weapons that everyone uses:

- Whip

- Godsword

Those two are the most popular. That's basically all I see. Sometimes you'll see a Sara sword or D scim for str training, but thats it.

We need a difficult-to-obtain item that has variety. Similar to godswords. Except here, we need weapons that are similar to Fire Cape, and come differently, like godswords.

For example, say the new weapon would be a 'X'. X is difficult to obtain, very rare. It is still tradable though. Once you finish the minigame or quest or whatever, you're presented with 4 options of what type of X you want. Each X has a different special that is powerful, but still equal.

¤¤ 20death04 in Runescape, Semi-Retired ¤¤

100M+ Net Worth - Yes I do own the AGS in my avatar.

20death04.png