Today...

Leoo

Today Snorlax is my favorite Pokemon.

That's stupid. Obviously Biyomon is the best.

Magikarp was always my favourite, not even joking.

I got a shiny one searching for Feebas (the legit way).

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

And we're starting driskel anyway cuz exactly one person still thinks he's competent

That one person being Muschamp?

Yep. Maybe he sees something that no one else sees, but it's pretty clear to us that Driskel is completely useless. It's frustrating watching that guy consistently lose us games.
Not sure how much you like the NFL, but at least you have the Jags/Bucs/Dolphins :D

Heard a gut-wrenching story today. Apparently last week some time, there was a rather bad car accident near where my girlfriend lives. An 18 year old was speeding in his Land Cruiser and crashed into a stationary car parked on the side of the road. This specific part of the road has a 80km/h limit, but they're saying he was going well over 140km/h. Anyway, the car parked on the side of the road had 5 people in it, and 1 person still getting in. The Toyota crashed into it, the girl still getting in was flung away from the car as it exploded on impact. The girl survived, with serious injuries. The 5 occupants all burnt to death. The fire was of such intensity that all 5 occupants were dead within minutes and burnt so badly they had to be identified by dental records. The 18 year old who caused the accident got away with minor injuries.

The kid that caused the accident is a local, and if the past has been any indication, he's going to get away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist assuming he's from the right family.

I think the fact that the victims were Filipino also makes it "less of a serious incident" because i doubt their embassy is going to fight too hard.

It's kind of sickening.

That is just sickening. :\

Seriously, never visiting your area if kids can go about committing manslaughter on reckless charges and get nothing more then a slap.

tbh I don't know why anyone would visit any middle eastern country.

Because they have an extremely rich and interesting culture? Because the roots of three of the most prominent religions in the world trade back to the area? Because people might want to further the understanding of a region that has had immense impacts on the Western world in the past 50+ years, because of our habit of imperialism?

That's a really awful way to dismiss an entire culture.

Replying to these posts a bit late, i've been lazy to type something up.

But Qatar isn't a tourist country. Anyone that comes here for holiday hoping to have a rich and fulfilling experience is a complete and utter moron. On top of that, the weather is terrible 90% of the year, the roads are overpopulated and it can take you anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour to travel 5 kilometers. There's a clear and distinct discrimination in terms of race and class. Indians (this includes Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, etc) are 3rd class citizens. This is the same for Filipinos, Malaysians, Chinese, Koreans, etc. Basically If you're Saudi, Qatari, Emirati, Palestinian and Lebanese you're alright. White people for the most part are alright too. Anything else and you're trash. You can be in the exact same profession as an Arab/White, but you're going to get at least 50% less paycheck. Many companies will try to employ Indians exclusively because they can pay them less. I remember when my mom quit her job a few weeks ago, the guy that replaces her was offered half her salary, half her perks, and his job-responsibilities were increased. 

My Mom and my girlfriend's mom were in the exact same positions in sister-companies. My mom's paycheck was just over twice as much.

Most Qataris have different rules/laws that apply to them too. Many of these laws even appear on paper. There's clear favoritism.

There's absolutely no reason for people to come here for anything other than business. Most people who decide to live here usually earn double or triple than they would in their home countries. And most people are fully aware of what they'll have to give up. This is pretty much just a pit-stop for most people anyway. Work here for 5 or 10 years, make bank, don't have to pay taxes, retire early.

That said, 2022 is going to be an interesting experience. Not only for the people living here, but the people planning on visiting. I can't see much changing by then.

• Like 1

Tbh if the World Cup isn't moved after seeing some of the working conditions for those involved, there will be massive backlash from the western world.

Few months ago there was huge buzz about the working/living conditions of the hard/manual labour workers. Builders specifically. Apparently the UN came in and told certain companies to change what was wrong, and if changes weren't made further steps would be taken (against them and against the country). Things went "better" for  while, but soon as the focus was shifted only slightly, things went back to normal. There have been various threats to move/take away to WC, but there are some complications. As far as i know, unless it's taken away because of corruption, FIFA will have to compensate Qatar for the money they have spent so far. Being the richest country in the world, money obviously hasn't been a problem thus far, and they have been spending a lot building new facilities and improving old ones. If i remember correctly they were budgeting for ~$2b US. I'm not sure how much of that has already been spent, but i can assure you that it's more than FIFA can compensate for. And Qatar will most likely do whatever they have to, and pay who ever they have to, in order to keep the WC here.

There's still 6 years to go, but with every day that goes by more money is spent and taking away the WC becomes more and more impossible. I'm pretty sure many of the people involved know that. So either they find some sort of corruption claim (which won't be hard at all) or they suffer in silence. It's sad. 

Living standards for lower-paid workers are really bad. We actually had a "labour camp" (that's what they're referred to here) down the road from us. I wouldn't let my dog spend a night there. And the employees really can't do anything about it either. Even on their ~$300 a month salary, they're earning more than they would back in their home countries. On top of that, with the sponsorship program here, if you anger the wrong people your VISA gets canceled and you're on the next flight out of here. Either you become a [bleep] to feed your family, forget you have any values, become crab shit but at least make some decent money.  Or you could raise your voice and be on the next flight out of here. 

I'm not sure i remember this correctly, but 2 or 3 months ago 2 British-Nepali guys went missing for raising there voices about human rights.

I'm probably a bit over-dramatic, but this is pretty much how i hear things and how i've seen things. 

That making bank in 5-10 year plan doesn't sound too shabby....

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Cooked my first Turkey ever for (Canadian) thanksgiving. Wasn't much of a feast afterward since most of the house was away, but it turned out pretty good (I didn't screw it up), so yay me. I sort of feel like that's one of the milestones in life, knowing how to cook a turkey without making it so dry that it sucks all the joy and moisture out of you when you try to eat it.

That making bank in 5-10 year plan doesn't sound too shabby....

Well, for "lower class workers" it's not. For Westerners, it's pretty alright. We don't have all the same problems they have.

Cooked my first Turkey ever for (Canadian) thanksgiving. Wasn't much of a feast afterward since most of the house was away, but it turned out pretty good (I didn't screw it up), so yay me. I sort of feel like that's one of the milestones in life, knowing how to cook a turkey without making it so dry that it sucks all the joy and moisture out of you when you try to eat it.

I feel old reflecting on this, but I remember the first Thanksgiving feast we (brother, a friend and myself) cooked back in our sophomore year of college. We were all nervous we would [bleep] it up, but it turned out to be a really good meal. The Turkey came out great, the pies were perfect, and all the side dish were eatable. It's definitely a memory that I'll keep with me.

The sad bit is I can't remember how many other Thanksgivings we've cooked since then. Maybe 2 others? The rest I've been able to spend with my entire family.

tFtfA.jpg

Had an interview with IBM today. Really hoping this works out cause I'm 0-3 with interviews so far from this recruiting season and I really don't want to have to repeat this whole search in the winter ugh. Also I had no idea that IBM was still doing anything relevant because you never hear their name discussed as much anymore, but some of the software projects that they are doing (like the applications of IBM Watson) are just amazing.

I have a programming project due tomorrow that, as of last night, my group is only getting about a 53% on unless we pull some crazy fixes in today. And I haven't even started studying for my two midterms tomorrow because of how much I've been working on this project... this will be a fun night.

Had an interview with IBM today. Really hoping this works out cause I'm 0-3 with interviews so far from this recruiting season and I really don't want to have to repeat this whole search in the winter ugh. Also I had no idea that IBM was still doing anything relevant because you never hear their name discussed as much anymore, but some of the software projects that they are doing (like the applications of IBM Watson) are just amazing.

I have a programming project due tomorrow that, as of last night, my group is only getting about a 53% on unless we pull some crazy fixes in today. And I haven't even started studying for my two midterms tomorrow because of how much I've been working on this project... this will be a fun night.

You might want to investigate a company you're interviewing with more before an interview next time.  It creates a better impression and you can ask more relevant questions.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Got diagnosed with molluscum. But hey, better than herpes

Got diagnosed with molluscum. But hey, better than herpes

Pretty sure something like 30% people have molluscum, so nothing to really worry about. (And like you said, better then herpes) 

Did a shit-ton of cleaning and since I joined the Ironman bandwagon in RS, Steph convinced me to make a blog in the blogscape section.

Popoto.~<3

Yeah something like that. Its also harmless, just doesn't look very attractive during breakouts. Ah well. Like I said, better than herpes

I likely failed a quiz today in Discrete Math because I've been too cheap to buy the book for it and I can't find a torrent for it or even any of its previous editions. The hard life of learning set theory from notes alone #firstworldproblems

What book? I might be able to help you out