Today...

Leoo

Well I've had a good birthday celebration. Indian dinner, drunk, got laid and won a $2 scratchee. Good night. <3

The highlight, of course, being the indian dinner. 

I would have thought it was the $2 scratcher.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Hybrid Theory turns 14 today.

This was precisely my Facebook status this morning lol. Thanks TimeHop

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Yesterday I was having a conversation with a friend. For whatever reason, things got really deep really fast. Anyway, I wanted to pass one of the ideas we covered by you guys and see what you think about it.

What if we leave our bodies on this earth to continue to feel sensation, but achieved true Marxist utopia by progressing our consciousness and conglomeration of ideas in compartmentalized internet space?

Yesterday I was having a conversation with a friend. For whatever reason, things got really deep really fast. Anyway, I wanted to pass one of the ideas we covered by you guys and see what you think about it.

What if we leave our bodies on this earth to continue to feel sensation, but achieved true Marxist utopia by progressing our consciousness and conglomeration of ideas in compartmentalized internet space?

Then I really hope no one hits the delete button on my file!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

While I'm at college my parents are divorcing. It's a messy divorce involving court too. My mom texted me last night she is done with me and that she is not a bank. I'm not even sure what I did to her. I have very little knowledge how the situation is progressing and my anxiety at an all time high right now.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Well thats a shitty way to inform your kid that youre getting a divorce. Tell her youre not a pawn in her former relationship and she should stop acting like a middle schooler

Well thats a shitty way to inform your kid that youre getting a divorce. Tell her youre not a pawn in her former relationship and she should stop acting like a middle schooler

I knew by phone call they were getting the divorce but I have no idea what I did to her. She is acting like it is all my dad's fault and I disagree and am keeping quiet about my opinions. I guess that's why. But whatever I am ok with not talking to her until she gets her shit together.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I guess thats a little different. Sucks that you have to go through it when youre not even home to plead your case though. On the bright side you don't have to live in what is probably a super tense house right now

I cooked majority of the day and watched football. :shades:

More old-school than you know...

battlethingz.png

Proud Member of The Slayer's Guild since April 7th 2009.
Skill Total Goal Complete: 2500 - November 12th 2014.
Goal Total Experience: 338,895,206 - Goal complete November 2nd 2014.
Next Goal Experience: 1,000,000,000 -
Personal Kalphite Queen Guide
Follow My PoP Blog!

I discovered the 'Next Unread Topic' button on forum threads.  No more spamming myself with ten tabs!

f17ff7c5ef2b35e22d4df1d255bdf97bacd5fce6

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

That'd be more useful if our forums weren't perpetually dwindling lol

• Like 1

I don't think i would wanna hang with a bunch of third wave runescape players anyway lol. Kids would be like 10 years younger than me. Weird.

I tries to go out drinking last night to put my sleep schedule back on track but now 4 hours later im awake and alone anyway on top of being mildly hungover. Drinking didn't help. Im at a loss.

I need to join a gym or something again or I might lose my [bleep]ing mind

Today I slept through my alarm and woke up just in time to get ready for class, so that's nice. When I looked at my phone to check the time, I thought it said Thursday, which had me mildly confused because I didn't remember doing anything on Wednesday, but I went along with it (fortunately, my tuesdays and thursdays are identical, so I was getting ready for the correct class). It was not until an hour later as I was leaving the house that I checked my phone again, and noticed that it actually said Tuesday, which is both very comforting and a little alarming.

The thing that jumps out at me in this scenario is that I said I couldn't remember Wednesday. I didn't say anything about Tuesday. At no point during this hour of time when I thought it was Thursday did I put together the two pieces of knowledge that my last memories were from Monday, and that Thursday is the third day after Monday.

As another example of personal brain farts, on a far more spectacular time scale, we have world of tanks (which I have played for nearly a year now). In the game, there is a range to target that pops up whenever you aim at a tank, and I noticed that this feature vanished from my client a few months ago. Yesterday, I decided it was time to address this, and after being informed that I was the only one who lacked this feature, I went around fixing what I assumed to be the problem. It was only at this point, when I expected the problem might be fixed, that I noticed the range indicator in my reticle, not at all where I expected it to be.

I can't say with certainty that I didn't fix an actual problem, since I have no screenshots from this time where it would be visible, but I did restore my client supposedly to the state it had been in when I couldn't see the range indicator. This suggests that a few months back, I simply forgot where the range indicator was supposed to show up during one of the patches, and was unable to see it because it wasn't where I thought it should be. It was only when I expected to be able to see it, that I was once again able to notice it.

Please grasp the scale of how long I was unable to notice a feature that is 2 inches from the center of my screen in this game. I have been under the impression that I have no range indicator for something like 2000 games, representing probably 180-240 hours over a number of months.

The Human brain is a wonderful thing, and it's ability to screw up when reality doesn't line up with it's expectations is nothing short of breathtaking.

Sorry to hear about your parents Gabe. I can see some upsides to it, but I don't think the middle of studies is an ideal time to have to deal with that for sure, especially if your mother is being...weird about it.

• Like 3

So I got back from NYC for the CMJ Music Marathon and it was a dope time to be sure. Gotta go to class now but I'll edit this post later since inevitably no one will post anytime soon.

• Like 1

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Matlab was invented by satan

MATLAB was my first real experience with any kind of programming. The course at my school that teaches MATLAB only has precalc as a prerequisite, so I didn't have to worry about any conceptual math-y things while taking the course (I'm aware that it's used in many fields and is a powerful tool), and honestly, I loved it. I'm more of a visual person, so the first few classes when we were just doing Hello Worlds or whatever we did were really boring and easy to me, but at about halfway through the semester, we had learned everything we needed to know and we started doing projects. We had to write up reports on them, which sucked most of the fun out of it and the professor LITERALLY wanted every line commented (x = 3;? %Set the variable x equal to 3. No, I'm not joking.), but other than that, I actually really enjoyed learning code for the first time. The final project was pretty tough and I needed outside assistance, but once I got it to work, the results made me so happy that all the effort put into it was totally worth it.

Tl;dr: You're wrong

I have done some programming with simulations so I literally knew nothing and just took bits and pieces to slowly build what I needed, and, well, it worked for me I guess.  I'm sure I did not write an optimal code but I taught myself via reverse engineering.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Matlab was invented by satan

MATLAB was my first real experience with any kind of programming. The course at my school that teaches MATLAB only has precalc as a prerequisite, so I didn't have to worry about any conceptual math-y things while taking the course (I'm aware that it's used in many fields and is a powerful tool), and honestly, I loved it. I'm more of a visual person, so the first few classes when we were just doing Hello Worlds or whatever we did were really boring and easy to me, but at about halfway through the semester, we had learned everything we needed to know and we started doing projects. We had to write up reports on them, which sucked most of the fun out of it and the professor LITERALLY wanted every line commented (x = 3;? %Set the variable x equal to 3. No, I'm not joking.), but other than that, I actually really enjoyed learning code for the first time. The final project was pretty tough and I needed outside assistance, but once I got it to work, the results made me so happy that all the effort put into it was totally worth it.

Tl;dr: You're wrong

Indexing from 1, logically indexing vectors rather than the typical double for loops, and so many other things I can't think of at the moment are just awful. I've been doing very well in the class but as far as I'm concerned it's less useful and less intuitive than so many other languages.

You can use a screwdriver to push a nail into a piece of wood. Does that mean you should?

This seems to be the general consensus on MATLAB on the internet (or at least the parts of the internet I visit). I'd imagine it's the same for other languages. I'm not a student of computer science and know very little about it, so I can't speak from experience, but it sounds to me that you just don't like the syntax. Again, this is just my opinion, but the first analogy that came to mind when I read your post is complaining about polar coordinates because it's so much easier to make a line in rectangular.

On the other hand, you could argue that SymPy/matplotlib/numpy/whatever (Is the fact that I'm only familiar with python and MATLAB showing yet?) can do the same thing, but... Uh... I don't really know where I was going with this.

I guess now is as good a time as any to actually address the points you brought up in your post.

Indexing from 1 - So what? I've used python (which indexes from 0 (which I'm assuming is "normal")) waaaaaaaaaaaay more than MATLAB and it doesn't really bother me. I'm sure there are more logical reasons to index from 0 than 1, but MATLAB is made for matrices, and matrices start at 11, not 00. This goes back to using the right tool for the job. That's my best guess as to why they do it.

Logically indexing vectors rather than the typical double for loops -  This just sounds like you being nit-picky to me. Honestly, I prefer being able to type x = [1, 2, 3 ; 4, 5, 6] rather than the nested for loops. The only good reason I can think that someone would argue against the way MATLAB does it is because it's slower (I don't know if this is true), but what's stopping you from doing the for loop thing in MATLAB?

Again, take everything I say with 20 pounds of salt. I know very little about programming and have only formally taken one CS-ish course and casually taught myself python a little above codecademy.