Today...

Leoo

Just got a job offer today! Ended up getting one from Qualtrics in Seattle for a software development position. It's dramatically better than my other offers and Seattle is an awesome city so I'm probably going to end up taking it unless something crazy happens over these next two weeks. It feels awesome finally having one I'll be happy with lined up. If I end up taking it I'd be moving to Seattle in August.

In other news, the exam I didn't study for is down and I feel pretty good about it. one more in an hour. ;____;

• Like 2

Last night I did an incredibly useless java project. Add directories to a text file from a file selector and opens all the directories selected in that text file all at once. Was fun to make but I can't find uses for it other than opening dozens of chrome browsers at once lol.

c3ab6d2bb03bd4e2d8a7d541b657708a.png

Never had to use process before so figuring out that part was pretty cool

Process process = Runtime.getRuntime()[Caution: Executable File]c("rundll32 SHELL32.DLL,ShellExec_RunDLL " + s);			

Nice, it's always good to get practice with a language, even if you don't end up ever using the resulting program. Plus it's the easiest way to get an active github

I am completely out right now.

Managed to grab some sort of a stomach virus so that I have a fever of 39 degrees right now. And a [bleep]ing terrible headache.

And we're not talking about what's happening in/with my stomach.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I went and saw TFA last night, and I'm still super confused how I feel about it. Without spoiling stuff, it feels super good to watch visually compared to the prequel movies, and I thought the action was on point. However, it just doesn't really feel like you are watching a Star Wars movie for some reason. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels strange. I can't decide whether I love it or are just 'meh' about it. I guess I'll have to watch it again.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Just got a job offer today! Ended up getting one from Qualtrics in Seattle for a software development position. It's dramatically better than my other offers and Seattle is an awesome city so I'm probably going to end up taking it unless something crazy happens over these next two weeks. It feels awesome finally having one I'll be happy with lined up. If I end up taking it I'd be moving to Seattle in August.

In other news, the exam I didn't study for is down and I feel pretty good about it. one more in an hour. ;____;

hmu in the 206 if you're tryna make friends B)

I went and saw TFA last night, and I'm still super confused how I feel about it. Without spoiling stuff, it feels super good to watch visually compared to the prequel movies, and I thought the action was on point. However, it just doesn't really feel like you are watching a Star Wars movie for some reason. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels strange. I can't decide whether I love it or are just 'meh' about it. I guess I'll have to watch it again.

Going to see it pretty soon. The whole "does it feel like Star Wars" thing is something I have been nervous about because of the Director. This is the problem I have with his Star Trek movies. I've not bothered to even watch the second one, but the first was a good sci fi movie, it just wasn't a Star Trek movie, and for that, I hate it.

I am optimistic though, since my definition of Star Wars is much broader than my definition of Star Trek. I'm also a bigger Star Wars fan than Trekkie, so I probably have some awesome mental blinders to get me through any rough patches :D

I can't find my Boba Fett baseball hat though, and that's made me a little mad. There are so few chances where it's totally appropriate to actually wear that thing. I'm hoping I left it in the car.

Going to see it pretty soon. The whole "does it feel like Star Wars" thing is something I have been nervous about because of the Director. This is the problem I have with his Star Trek movies. I've not bothered to even watch the second one, but the first was a good sci fi movie, it just wasn't a Star Trek movie, and for that, I hate it.

I am optimistic though, since my definition of Star Wars is much broader than my definition of Star Trek. I'm also a bigger Star Wars fan than Trekkie, so I probably have some awesome mental blinders to get me through any rough patches :D

I can't find my Boba Fett baseball hat though, and that's made me a little mad. There are so few chances where it's totally appropriate to actually wear that thing. I'm hoping I left it in the car.

Abram's Trek movies were/are Star Wars with a Trek theme, in my opinion.

I watched The Force Awakens today (afternoon showing) and think it's absolutely amazing. At least a 9/10. It is on par with the any one of the originals, perhaps even superior. I'm going to watch it again in January, I think, since I have a free ticket.

ozXHe7P.png

The Force Awakens is by far and away the best star wars film. It takes elements of every good part of every other film and beautifully crafts a new saga into the series. JJ Abrams is my hero

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

The Force Awakens is by far and away the best star wars film. It takes elements of every good part of every other film and beautifully crafts a new saga into the series. JJ Abrams is my hero

I agree at this point. This is going to be the first movie I watch at least twice at a theater.

Also, I bought a Honda Metropolitan (2015 model) today. Various planets aligned and it was finally possible. It's going to be delivered tomorrow (in the morning) and I'll have to get a tag next week. Ugh, DMV...

I had a Kymco Agility 50 some time ago, but it ended up being a moneypit (I bought it used). The Metropolitan is not only new, I made sure to get an extended warranty. I never want to worry about getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere...

ozXHe7P.png

I don't know how you can say it is better than the originals. The plot is just recycled material, huge portions of the movie are extremely unnecessary and the screen time they took up could have been much better used giving more backstory for characters or groups like the First Order or the Resistance (which makes literally NO sense at all)...

Like for real, why are there so few of them if the galaxy is under Republic control now

You have characters that are supposed to be important that get very little screen time.

talking about Poe, not Luke

I definitely want to see the movie again before I really make up my mind about it, but it just seems rather generically average. I think that most people would rate this movie like a 6.5/10 if they had never seen or heard of any of the other movies. This would be ok if the movie was a sequel instead of a reboot. The movie tricks you into thinking it is a lot better than it is just because it has "Star Wars" in the title.

I know I sound a little gripe-y about the movie, but I actually did enjoy it. There are good things about it such as the visuals and the acting. I really want to see the next movie before I pass true judgment on TFA. I hope that this movie is like the first chapter or two of a book where everything is just really dull and boring, but necessary for plot development. 

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I don't know how you can say it's average. Well, I can, actually--we're different people and have different opinions. Example: I don't enjoy most popular fiction, but I know plenty do. At the same time, I quite enjoy heavier olden literary works, and I understand why many would not.

Spoilers, for those haven't watched it yet:

I consider The Force Awakens to be similar to the prior movies, not recycled. It's an introduction to the new trilogy, and it has to definitely deliver like the original trilogy (rather than the lackluster prequel). You want recycled, read the stupid Eragorn book. Now that's a 1:1 recycling of the plot.

Not to mention the original trilogy had some glaring issues we gloss over today, such as a lot of the acting, much of the dialog, the effects... Pacing was worse, I think, in A New Hope for example, and it had a lot of handwaving. Luke is a good pilot--we're told, not shown until the very end. Rey? She shows she's an excellent pilot. Luke is powerful, you say? Well, who knows--but Rey stands toe-to-toe with Kylo Ren despite having no training and uses certain force skills on her own prerogative to boot. And there's much more...

I can understand why you don't like it. Your points are valid to some arguable degree--but they aren't issues in my opinion, and are much the opposite.

Spoilers again:

And I look forward to the next movie. I would love to see how they handle Kylo's training in comparison with Rey's... But it's so far away. So far away...

ozXHe7P.png

I think I'm going to learn Elixir. I "learned" Haskell a little while ago (i.e. I read a book on it and wrote some small programs with it), but its syntax is kind of off-putting since half of the learning curve is just figuring out what all the damn symbols mean. Elixir seems to have the simple syntax of javascript or ruby, but also enforces functional thinking like Haskell, plus it has a bunch of really neat features.

Here's an example of a module that computes the standard deviation and variance of a set in JavaScript (the language they pay me to write in):

'use strict';

const StdDev = (function StdDev(){
  const stddev = function(set){
    const square = function(a){
      return a * a;
    };

const add = function(a, b){
      return a + b;
    };

const sum = function(set){
      return set.reduce(add);
    };

const average = function(set){
      return sum(set) / set.length;
    };

const mu = average(set);

// Christ alive!
    return Math.sqrt(sum(set.map(function(x){
        return x - mu;
    }).map(square)) / (set.length - 1));
  };

const variance = function(set){
    const square = function(a){
      return a * a;
    };

return square(stddev(set));
  };

return {
    'stddev': stddev,
    'variance': variance
  };
})();

console.log(StdDev.variance([1, 2, 3, 4]))

Here's the same code in Elixir:

defmodule StdDev do
  def stddev(set) do
    square = fn a -> a * a end
    divide = fn (a, b) -> a / b end
    add = fn (a, b) -> a + b end
    sum = fn set -> Enum.reduce(set, 0, add) end
    average = fn set -> sum.(set) / length(set) end

mu = average.(set)

Enum.map(set, fn x -> x - mu end)
      |> Enum.map(square)
      |> sum.()
      |> divide.(length(set) - 1)
      |> :math.sqrt
  end

def variance(set) do
    square = fn a -> a * a end
    stddev(set)
      |> square.()
  end
end

StdDev.variance([1, 2, 3, 4])
  |> IO.puts

That's so much more readable, especially when the actual calculation occurs. JavaScript needs native lambda functions desperately. They're part of the ES6 spec, but there's not a whole lot of browser support and it isn't supported by Node nor io.js. The pipe operator |> also makes life sooo much easier, but it's only in the strawman phase of the ES7 spec, so it's not going to be usable for a while in JavaScript.

Also, a couple of those anonymous functions in the Elixir example aren't necessary, but I can't figure out the syntax to use + or / as a bounded anonymous function lol. It is necessary in javascript though because operators are not functions.

@Vevia

For the first like 2 hours after I saw the movie, I thought it was the best thing ever. Then I sat and thought about it for a while and decided that it wasn't as good as I initially thought.

Similar but not recycled?

(copied this, but I agree with it)

1) A droid has important information that must be delivered to the good guys (Episode IV, anyone?)

2) so the bad guys hunt for the droid on a desert planet (IV) 

3) Storm troopers raid a village, killing everyone (IV) 

4) A girl is captured by the bad guys and the good guys rush to the base to the rescue. (IV) 

5) The girl and the boy have a friend zone relationship through the film (Ep IV, Luke & Leia, wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are siblings in Episode IX) 

6) The stormtroopers, elite soldiers of the bad guys, still can't hit a barn door. On the other hand, the good guys always hit, even when they use a weapon for the first time in their life 

7) Supreme Leader Snoke = Emperor with a silly name 

8) The bad guys have a magnificent new weapon that can destroy planets (Ep IV) 

9) They use it to destroy a planet loyal to the rebels (IV) 

10) The weapon has shields that can be destroyed by going down on the planet and disabling the shield generator (VI) 

11) The epic villain wears a mask that distorts his voice (IV) and sadly, looks better with the mask on than without it.  (I actually don't agree with this one)

12) The good guys can only destroy the weapon with an attack by X-Wings on the exact target (IV) 

13) The X-Wings have to fly in a tight trench in order to reach their target (IV)

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

(I edited my post with more info, but you've posted since. Anyway, read that first if you care.)

Your points are more of an issue with the "Hero's Journey" storytelling method. Since The Force Awakens takes place in the same universe as the prior movies, and also starts with new hero, of course there's going to be more similar progression points than normal.

At the end of the day, you like it less than I do. This isn't an issue with a "right" or "wrong," so simply put: we have different opinions. I'm not going to spend any more time defending my opinion...

ozXHe7P.png

Finding Luke (Yoda in ep V)

Han (mentor-ish person) dies as Rey watches (Obi-Wan dies as Luke watches)

It isn't the hero's journey that I don't like. I don't mind revisiting plot stuff, but I'd like to see something new, not a copy pasted episode 4/5 all over again.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

We're debating whether the movie can be equal to or greater than the originals based on the story/plot.

@ Vevia

I don't think anyone really ever said that Luke was powerful. The only character we can really compare him to is Vader who was definitely more 'powerful' than Luke, but is quite a bit older (not to mention crippled) and was bested in 1 lightsaber duel. The emperor/Yoda were clearly beyond Luke, and Obi-Wan never really showed any of his force prowess besides a few simple mind tricks.

Rey on the other hand is extremely powerful if she was able to do force stuff without even being told how to do it. You also have Kylo who seems powerful, but may not actually be as powerful as he lets on. We'll have to wait and see.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

I don't know how you can say it is better than the originals. The plot is just recycled material, huge portions of the movie are extremely unnecessary and the screen time they took up could have been much better used giving more backstory for characters or groups like the First Order or the Resistance (which makes literally NO sense at all)...

Like for real, why are there so few of them if the galaxy is under Republic control now

You have characters that are supposed to be important that get very little screen time.

talking about Poe, not Luke

I definitely want to see the movie again before I really make up my mind about it, but it just seems rather generically average. I think that most people would rate this movie like a 6.5/10 if they had never seen or heard of any of the other movies. This would be ok if the movie was a sequel instead of a reboot. The movie tricks you into thinking it is a lot better than it is just because it has "Star Wars" in the title.

I know I sound a little gripe-y about the movie, but I actually did enjoy it. There are good things about it such as the visuals and the acting. I really want to see the next movie before I pass true judgment on TFA. I hope that this movie is like the first chapter or two of a book where everything is just really dull and boring, but necessary for plot development. 

[hide]

It absolutely recycles a lot of plot points. A lot of the movie felt like it was just jerking off the fan base, especially during the "tense" stare downs between the major characters, especially the ones from the original trilogy. But Thats what Star Wars is. It follows the formula of the tale of a rising hero. Lucas botched the shit out of the formula in the prequels and thats why they sucked. So in a way, VII felt a lot like a re hashed IV. Just split the Han/Luke hero trope between an extra character. All in all, I loved it though and being the post-coitus fan boy I am I can't bad mouth this movie. At least not for another 525 days until VIII comes out[/hide]

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

And that's part of my problem with it, the movie just felt kind of like a big fan fiction with a bunch of fan service instead of something new to enjoy and be excited about.

And l thoroughly enjoyed the characters in the movie. I just wish that we could have spent more time with the new characters and environment that we know nothing about, instead of having Han argue with some Asian and Tron gangs while getting chased by land krakens.

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”