Mage Functionality

Ixindor

This is just a suggestion and a work in progress at the moment. Take a look at this pic:

Mage6SlotFinish.jpg

I did this in MS Paint so please be nice. In a nutshell, I rearranged the Equipment Slots and added 6 open slots for Runes. The idea here is to help free up Inventory Spaces so that being a Mage would be more practical. Basically, you can add a stack of Runes here, much like a Ranger equips his Arrows/Bolts. This frees up Inventory Space and allows both the Casual Mage and the Full Mage a much more functional use of Spells.

Just some ideas:

You can always have a Teleport loaded.

You can always have High Alch loaded.

If you have Spellbook Swap, you can pretty much live on Lunar Spells and switch occasionally (Casual Mage).

Expanded Ideas:

Casual Mage:

Bones to Peaches - 4 Earth, 4 Water, 2 Nats

High Alch - 5 Fire, 2 Nats

Teleports - 1 or 2 Laws, Various Element Runes

Tele Grab - 1 Air, 1 Law

Super Heat - 4 Fire, 1 Nat

Enchant Jewelry - 1 Cosmic, Various Element Runes

Bake Pie - 1 Astral, 5 Fire, 4 Water

Cure Plant - 1 Astral, 8 Earths

Monster Examine - 1 Astral, 1 Cosmic, 1 Mind

NPC Contact - 1 Astral, 1 Cosmic, 2 Airs

Humidify - 1 Astral, 3 Waters, 1 Fire

Cure Me - 2 Astrals, 1 Law, 2 Cosmics

Superglass Make - 2 Astrals, 6 Fires, 10 Airs

Dream - 2 Astrals, 1 Cosmic, 5 Bodies

string Jewelry - 2 Astrals, 10 Earths, 10 Waters

Magic Imbue - 2 Astrals, 7 Fires, 7 Waters

Fertile Soil - 3 Astrals, 15 Earths, 2 Nats

Plank Make - 2 Astrals, 15 Earths, 1 Nat, Money

Vengeance - 4 Astrals, 10 Earths, 2 Death

Spellbook Swap - 3 Astrals, 2 Cosmics, 1 Law

Total Rune Types:

Earth

Water

Fire

Air

Nature

Cosmic

Law

Astral

Death

Body

Mind

11 Total Different Runes

Condensed:

Combo Runes - 2 Elements

Combo Runes - Opposite 2 Elements

Nature

Cosmic

Law

Astral

Death

Body

Mind

9 Total Different Runes

Break Down and Uses:

Slayers - Spellbook Swap, NPC Contact, Bones to Peaches, High Alch, Teleports, Tele Grab, Monster Examine, Cure Me, Dream, Vengeance

Astral, Cosmic, Law, Fire, Water, Nat, Earth, Death, Air, Mind, Body - 11 Inventory Spaces are used

Condensed: Astral, Cosmic, Law, Nats, Death, Mind, Mud (Inv), Smoke (Inv) - 2 Inventory Spaces are used.

This setup makes the Slayers more efficient. Access to all these spells are made possible from the Spellbook Swap (which alot of this centers around). Even without the Spellbook Swap, there are alot of Lunar or Modern Spells at your disposal. This also only consumes 2 Inv Spaces but allows for much more versatility. Of course, all of these spells are completely optional and customizable to the individual. This is an extreme case (but a setup I would use). No staffs are "needed" per say, but could be a practical option for the Inventory Spaces. Keep in mind, if you just have the Runes, you don't have to equip the staffs to cast. A simple click to the Spellbook and click on the spell will get you what you need whilst you continue to do your Slaying.

Uses: Spellbook Swap for access to any spell. NPC Contact to get Slayer Assignments. Bones to Peaches for healing. High Alch for converting drops into gold. Teleports to get you around (this can open up other Teleports in the Ancient Spellbook as well, but the Ancient Teleports are not extremely practical for Slayer). House Teletabs with Portals in your home would be the best use along with Lunar Teleports. Tele Grab for tough situations where you may be trapped or if you are engaged in a fight, you can get an item without moving (optional). Monster Examine for certain stats on the fly (optional). Cure me to deal with Poison problems. Dream fits in oddly but could be a practical option. Dream paired with Health Restore Prayer could help you go the extra mile if you have a few creatures to kill before you leave an area. And lastly, Vengeance for bringing the smack down and help speed up Slayer Assignments.

Break Down and Uses:

Farmers - Spellbook Swap, Teleports, Cure Plant, Fertile Soil, Humidify.

Astral, Cosmic, Law, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Nats - 6 Inventory Spaces are used.

Condensed: Astral, Cosmic, Law, Mud, Smoke, Nats - No Inventory Spaces are used.

This setup makes the Farmers more efficient. Access to all these spells are made possible from the Spellbook Swap (which alot of this centers around). Even without the Spellbook Swap, there are alot of Lunar or Modern Teleport Spells at your disposal. No Inv Spaces are consumed (which is an important part of Farming Runs). Of course, all of these spells are completely optional and customizable to the individual. This is an extreme case (but a setup I would use). No staffs are "needed." With just these Runes, you don't have to equip any staffs to cast. A simple click to the Spellbook and click on the spell will get you what you need whilst you continue to do your Farming Run.

Uses: Spellbook Swap for access to any spell. Teleports to get you around (this can open up other Teleports in the Ancient Spellbook as well, but the Ancient Teleports are not extremely practical for Farming). House Teletabs with Portals in your home would be the best use along with Lunar Teleports. Cure Plant to cure your crops of diseases. Fertile Soil so you don't have to haul around and/or swap out buckets. Humidify for refilling your Watering Can (not sure if this actually works, but if it does, then it would have a practical use).

These are just 2 examples that came to mind. The other Spells in the list at the top are also for casual use. As far as I know, none of the listed spells will "Fail" based on a Magic Bonus. Also, anyone without Spellbook Swap would still have uses for this idea. And yes, these 2 examples are for Casual Mages. But this idea would be extremely nice for Full Mages too. Snares, Charge, Various Attack Spells could be used in tandem instead of just bringing one set of Runes for one or two spell types (aka Inv Space Saving). I think that there is no "overpowering" of Magic. It just makes Magic more practical. It definitely gives Magic more of an incentive to train it. It may put higher demand on Runes. It may put higher demand on Combo Runes (which Magic Imbue helps with). It may increase Runecrafting.

Leveling Scale

This is just a scale idea. Have it add a slot based on your Magic Level. The first scale puts it at 1-99. You get your first Slot at Level 16 Magic and the 6th Slot at 99. The second scale is more to my liking. This way you aren't burnt out on your way to 99 Magic. It gives you your first Slot at Level 15 Magic and the 6th Slot at 90 Magic. This way you can make the extra push for the last 9 Levels with optimum efficiency.

Scale 1 Levels 1-99

...............*...............*...............*...............*...............*..................*

Scale 2 Levels 1-90

..............*..............*..............*..............*..............*..............*.........

This is again a work in progress and I want to add more to this. This is just a sample of what I'm attempting to work out. Any ideas taken in will be credited.

I agree. 6 is a bit too much. Even 2 or 3 would make a Mage's life so much easier. As well as all the other combat styles. Think about arrow drops. Do you keep them in your invent or equip them? This would free up another few invent spaces for rune drops.

Mages already have staves that reduce the ammount of runes needed, even some double rune staves...

I dont support 6 slots, but you can have your runes in the same ONE spot that the ranger has his arrows, aka no need to re-arrange this window...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I think they (JaGEx) should have a quest with the reward being something like a rune pouch, which is weildable in the arrow slot.

Similar idea though, so I support your idea but I think it should be fixed through different means than adding "rune slots."

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Casual Mage:

Bones to Peaches - 4 Earth, 4 Water, 2 Nats

High Alch - 5 Fire, 2 Nats

Teleports - 1 or 2 Laws, Various Element Runes

Tele Grab - 1 Air, 1 Law

Super Heat - 4 Fire, 1 Nat

Enchant Jewelry - 1 Cosmic, Various Element Runes

Bake Pie - 1 Astral, 5 Fire, 4 Water

Cure Plant - 1 Astral, 8 Earths

Monster Examine - 1 Astral, 1 Cosmic, 1 Mind

NPC Contact - 1 Astral, 1 Cosmic, 2 Airs

Humidify - 1 Astral, 3 Waters, 1 Fire

Cure Me - 2 Astrals, 1 Law, 2 Cosmics

Superglass Make - 2 Astrals, 6 Fires, 10 Airs

Dream - 2 Astrals, 1 Cosmic, 5 Bodies

string Jewelry - 2 Astrals, 10 Earths, 10 Waters

Magic Imbue - 2 Astrals, 7 Fires, 7 Waters

Fertile Soil - 3 Astrals, 15 Earths, 2 Nats

Plank Make - 2 Astrals, 15 Earths, 1 Nat, Money

Vengeance - 4 Astrals, 10 Earths, 2 Death

Spellbook Swap - 3 Astrals, 2 Cosmics, 1 Law

Total Rune Types:

Earth

Water

Fire

Air

Nature

Cosmic

Law

Astral

Death

Body

Mind

11 Total Different Runes

Condensed:

Combo Runes - 2 Elements

Combo Runes - Opposite 2 Elements

Nature

Cosmic

Law

Astral

Death

Body

Mind

9 Total Different Runes

Break Down and Uses:

Slayers - Spellbook Swap, NPC Contact, Bones to Peaches, High Alch, Teleports, Tele Grab, Monster Examine, Cure Me, Dream, Vengeance

Astral, Cosmic, Law, Fire, Water, Nat, Earth, Death, Air, Mind, Body - 11 Inventory Spaces are used

Condensed: Astral, Cosmic, Law, Nats, Death, Mind, Mud (Inv), Smoke (Inv) - 2 Inventory Spaces are used.

This setup makes the Slayers more efficient. Access to all these spells are made possible from the Spellbook Swap (which alot of this centers around). Even without the Spellbook Swap, there are alot of Lunar or Modern Spells at your disposal. This also only consumes 2 Inv Spaces but allows for much more versatility. Of course, all of these spells are completely optional and customizable to the individual. This is an extreme case (but a setup I would use). No staffs are "needed" per say, but could be a practical option for the Inventory Spaces. Keep in mind, if you just have the Runes, you don't have to equip the staffs to cast. A simple click to the Spellbook and click on the spell will get you what you need whilst you continue to do your Slaying.

Uses: Spellbook Swap for obvious reasons. NPC Contact to get Slayer Assignments. Bones to Peaches for healing. Teleports to get you around (this can open up other Teleports in the Ancient Spellbook as well, but the Ancient Teleports are not extremely practical for Slayer). House Teletabs with Portals in your home would be the best use along with Lunar Teleports. Tele Grab for tough situations where you may be trapped or if you are engaged in a fight, you can get an item without moving (optional). Monster Examine for certain stats on the fly (optional). Cure me to deal with Poison problems. Dream fits in oddly but could be a practical option. Dream paired with Health Restore Prayer could help you go the extra mile if you have a few creatures to kill before you leave an area. And lastly, Vengeance for bringing the smack down and speeding up Slayer Assignments.

Break Down and Uses:

Farmers - Spellbook Swap, Teleports, Cure Plant, Fertile Soil, Humidify.

Astral, Cosmic, Law, Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Nats - 6 Inventory Spaces are used.

Condensed: Astral, Cosmic, Law, Mud, Smoke, Nats - No Inventory Spaces are used.

This setup makes the Farmers more efficient. Access to all these spells are made possible from the Spellbook Swap (which alot of this centers around). Even without the Spellbook Swap, there are alot of Lunar or Modern Teleport Spells at your disposal. No Inv Spaces are consumed (which is an important part of Farming Runs). Of course, all of these spells are completely optional and customizable to the individual. This is an extreme case (but a setup I would use). No staffs are "needed." With just these Runes, you don't have to equip any staffs to cast. A simple click to the Spellbook and click on the spell will get you what you need whilst you continue to do your Farming Run.

Uses: Spellbook Swap for obvious reasons. Teleports to get you around (this can open up other Teleports in the Ancient Spellbook as well, but the Ancient Teleports are not extremely practical for Farming). House Teletabs with Portals in your home would be the best use along with Lunar Teleports. Cure Plant to cure your crops of diseases. Fertile Soil so you don't have to haul around and/or swap out buckets. Humidify for refilling your Watering Can (not sure if this actually works, but if it does, then it would have a practical use).

These are just 2 examples that came to mind. The other Spells in the list at the top are also for casual use. As far as I know, none of the listed spells will "Fail" based on a Magic Bonus. Also, anyone without Spellbook Swap would still have uses for this idea. And yes, these 2 examples are for Casual Mages. But this idea would be extremely nice for Full Mages too. Snares, Charge, Various Attack Spells could be used in tandem instead of just bringing one set of Runes for one or two spell types (aka Inv Space Saving). I think that there is no "overpowering" of Magic. It just makes Magic more practical. It definitely gives Magic more of an incentive to train it. It may put higher demand on Runes. It may put higher demand on Combo Runes (which Magic Imbue helps with). It may increase Runecrafting.

*Phew* Didn't mean to write a book about it either. Just really passionate about the idea. I like Magic and wish I could get more out of it on a daily basis.

Also, the Rune Pouch idea is not a bad idea, but I'm not a fan of it. Mainly because you would have to be able to check it from time to time. With this idea, just a simple click on your Equipment Stats will show you your Rune Count.

This is not meant to sound offensive, but why are you all selling yourselves short? 3 Slots? So you only want to be able to have one spell loaded at a time? Granted you may get a few other spells loaded based on the 3 Runes you pick, but still you are selling yourselves short. Think outside of just High Alchs and Teleports. Look at the bigger picture. You may get much more use out of Magic with this idea. I understand that 6 may sound like alot, but look at the properties of Runes. Runes have no use alone. You have to have at a bare minimum of 2 Runes to make at least 1 Spell. Or a Staff equipped. Rangers do use multiple bolts/arrows, but its something I rarely see. The most common being Mith Emmy and Addy Diamond for their effects. When it comes to regular Arrows, you usually use the cost effective ones or best you can use. You don't see Rangers using combinations of Bronze through Rune Arrows for various effects. Rangers also have the (awful) Bolt Pouch. But at least its something. And like the Bolt Pouch, I was thinking of maybe putting a cap on how many Runes you can have equipped. Not sure how many yet (500?). The main purpose of this idea is to help save Inventory Space. If it were cut down to 3, for Slayer, I would have Astral, Cosmics, Laws in the slots for Spellbook Swap and maybe High Alch Runes in my Inventory with a House Teletab. That greatly reduces the versatility of the idea. It doesn't allow for the mixed combinations of Runes outside of the Inventory and the potential they would bring. You would again, have to fill up your inventory with the other Runes just to try and get the effect, which essentially defeats the purpose of this idea.

Awesome Idea!

I support

The ammount of slots will have to be lowered to mabye 4 for P2P and 3 for F2P

but remember 3 is enough for most spells and 4 is enough for most P2P spells,

this is a great idea.

I do not support the pouch because it wouldn't look as efficently as just simple slots for runes Your Rune slot idea is still the easiest system to work with!

In conclussion: Don't change a thing, except mabye reducing the rune slots

tyluke.png

Tyluke.png

only 2 skills below level 50 :)

This is just a scale idea. Have it add a slot based on your Magic Level. The first scale puts it at 1-99. You get your first Slot at Level 16 Magic and the 6th Slot at 99. The second scale is more to my liking. This way you aren't burnt out on your way to 99 Magic. It gives you your first Slot at Level 15 Magic and the 6th Slot at 90 Magic. This way you can make the extra push for the last 9 Levels with optimum efficiency.

Scale 1 Levels 1-99

...............*...............*...............*...............*...............*..................*

Scale 2 Levels 1-90

..............*..............*..............*..............*..............*..............*.........

i, as a 90% pure mage ;) totally support this idea. we need to b able to equip runes.y do rangers and melee-ers get to have free inventory space by equipping their weapons, we should be able to do so as well

lucario.jpg

2w30t2a.png

beethovens29.png

This is not meant to sound offensive, but why are you all selling yourselves short? 3 Slots? So you only want to be able to have one spell loaded at a time? Granted you may get a few other spells loaded based on the 3 Runes you pick, but still you are selling yourselves short. Think outside of just High Alchs and Teleports. Look at the bigger picture. You may get much more use out of Magic with this idea. I understand that 6 may sound like alot, but look at the properties of Runes. Runes have no use alone. You have to have at a bare minimum of 2 Runes to make at least 1 Spell. Or a Staff equipped. Rangers do use multiple bolts/arrows, but its something I rarely see. The most common being Mith Emmy and Addy Diamond for their effects. When it comes to regular Arrows, you usually use the cost effective ones or best you can use. You don't see Rangers using combinations of Bronze through Rune Arrows for various effects. Rangers also have the (awful) Bolt Pouch. But at least its something. And like the Bolt Pouch, I was thinking of maybe putting a cap on how many Runes you can have equipped. Not sure how many yet (500?). The main purpose of this idea is to help save Inventory Space. If it were cut down to 3, for Slayer, I would have Astral, Cosmics, Laws in the slots for Spellbook Swap and maybe High Alch Runes in my Inventory with a House Teletab. That greatly reduces the versatility of the idea. It doesn't allow for the mixed combinations of Runes outside of the Inventory and the potential they would bring. You would again, have to fill up your inventory with the other Runes just to try and get the effect, which essentially defeats the purpose of this idea.

Well I'm sure everyone here would LOVE if we got 6 slots, or more. But it doesn't seem very likely that we'll get that many slots. So instead of Jagex looking it over and saying "6 slots? That's crazy, DELETE" they might consider it, or look at it in better light. Although fact being they should probably think about that themselves, it's simply safer.

Also think about it this way, making your suggestion more balanced = greater chance of getting it implemented. Then Jagex will decide for themselves if we need more than 3 slots. If not, then those endless ranter may or may not convince them. If they do, it's all well and good. If they don't, then you know for sure suggesting this with more slots wouldn't have helped. So if the RSOF ranters do their job (and God knows they will) you have nothing to lose, except maybe a little time between.

Just how I think it works.

1st at lvl 1

2nd at lvl 25

3rd at level 50

4th at level 75.

Jagex doesnt care anyway.

And 3-4 would be more balanced.

My goals:
[b]5M coins:[/b] 4350K+ coins 200k+ items - 2 dec 
5M coins - 16 dec
I [b]have gotten[/b] my 5M by christmas.

-bah this is only here for historical purposes now, I got 20m+ already

"fail,well atleast the title,i wont read it with that colours"

"If you hadn't posted in rainbow I would actually give this a proper read"

"Colours suck."

*I remove colours*

"Where did all the colors go!? This is now 40% more likely to be tl;dr'd due to the lack of colors."

• 9 months later...