Efficiency over Enjoyment

la la la

Most of us run through Runescape at a blinding pace. We are always calculating xp/gp, xp/hr, gp/hr, or some other crazy ratio that somehow defines how productive we are on this game. We brainstorm and work hard to completely maximize these ratios and then brag and mystify others with these numbers.

Then today, I was talking to a friend of mine and I realized I was playing in HD mode. Now, it's not horribly laggy, but you lose a few split seconds every time you teleport or load a new area of the map. I innocently threw a pm to smellysocks to see how he felt and asked: "Do you runecraft in low detail too?", receiving the response that, he too plays in low detail to maximize profits per hour.

It was only afterward that I really started to think about my method for playing. It is not wrong, of course, but have I, along with the rest of the "elite" population, completely forgotten about enjoyment in the game and become too lost in numbers? It was only today when I played in HD that I realized just how wonderful the new graphics are and just how much better the area looks, all of these looks I have been sacrificing since HD was released -- and just to get a measly 500 more xp or one more trip per hour.

This made me think of the last one-player RPG I got into, Oblivion. When I run around in that game, I just wander aimlessly around the beautiful landscape, talking to whoever I run into and killing them if they rub me the wrong way. I never give a thought to levels or how quickly I am going-- but rather play the game for what it is.

Now, there is no right or wrong way to play the game, but I encourage you to just stop and think.

You might scare yourself.

lalalasig2.png

Well I play in HD unless I am doing a quest that involves combat or dangerous material.

I could care less about the measly 500xp per hour I try not to exactly calculate all of my earnings per hour but it would be helpful to have a general idea. I mean 500xp will add up over time but its worth the sacrafice for the amazing graphics. Usually I have more than enough money for what I like to do [Rc, wc, FM, Cook] (like 12m cash not much but i never spend more than half of it.) I cannot remember the last time i constantly grinded on a skill and doing nothing else if i was bored. Thats why i have 85 fletch and 47 herb Fletching is fun and not that much money loss, but on the other hand herblore is a huge money drain and just does not seem fun to me.

So overall it's all about personal preference if the person is grinding a skill they might want the extra 500xp, I on the other hand would not.

FIN. :thumbsup:

Ponder00.png

twssmas.gif

For training skills, I'd say my calculating-to-training ratio is roughly 3 to 1, i.e. I spend 3 times as much time calculating as training. Hence the stats :wall:

I play HD, though. My laptop's DPI is too high to play in regular without lowering the resolution. Other then that, efficiency over everything. I do the fun stuff like fight pits, but training and playing don't mix.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

i always play as efficient as possible because theres always so much more to do :P if it weren't for resizable window in hd I would be playing low detail for less lag as well (so now I play hd with all graphic options at its lowest) :D

To me, efficiency is enjoyment. I might just be in the minority, but I personally like leveling up on every single game I played. It's that whole RPG/Dungeons and Dragons aspect where you watch your character grow and I like it. Sometimes I get bored of training and in that case I take a break and do something else fun.

I've been playing for 2 years and could care less about EXP per hour. I still have the skills of someone who has played for like 18 months >.>

I socialize more than skill. Now monwy, I am afraid I am a little Efficient about that. I hate being poor. -.-

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

It depends on my mood. On one side, I'm a complete nerd and just love crunching numbers to get the answer I'm looking for (For example, I have to kill 150 black demons, how much slayer exp will that get me, as well as combat and hp exp) and on the other hand, I hate looking at video games from a "businessy" standpoint.

It didn't really bother me when the wilderness ditch came out, nor other mini-games and updates that allegedly made certain skills to easy, harder, or slower. In my 5 years of playing Runescape, I can say I've never done any mindless grinding to get my levels (Highest right now being Fishing), which is probably why I don't have any 99's. I go by more of a slow and steady, quick enough that I'm not still training on Goblins several years later, but not so hard that I burn out my interest in the game becaue I'm so terribly bored with it. Keep everything fresh.

I can't tell you how much exp you might get fishing monkfish per hour, but I can answer any question about any area in the game. I'm more interested in the lore and story, not the grinding.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I totally agree with you lalala. I can't STAND mindless grinding for efficiency and profit and blah. It bores me to sleep. But if it is something I can enjoy, I may have a go at it. Those Elder Scroll games (Morrowind and Oblivion) are beautiful. I too get completely lost in those games. It's why I've never beaten them. :roll: >.< Lol, too bad RuneScape can't be like that. <3:

Sir_Sibz.png

Sir_Sibz.png

45f0d8e6a6.png

BlogSignature-March11.png

Unless I am working towards a goal, I usually just let things happen and do it in quantities of 1000, then go do something else. I hardly ever stop and use a calculator or the like to work out what I need.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I would appreciate the graphics even more if my computer could handle them. ::'

However, I believe I play the parts of the game that I do for my enjoyment. I like to talk in Clan Chat a lot, which is probably my favourite thing about Runescape. If it wasn't for the community, I know for certain that I would not continue to play.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Unless I am working towards a goal, I usually just let things happen and do it in quantities of 1000, then go do something else. I hardly ever stop and use a calculator or the like to work out what I need.

Lol, sounds just like me. Whenever i buy seeds, or buy just about anything, i buy things in quantities of 100s of 1000s. It just simply annoys me to look at any other number. And I just let it take me wherever that amount brings me.

~Dan

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

I always play in HD, can't stand Low Detail anymore :P

But yea, I can't keep focused on one skill for too long, max for about a few hours, then I have to do something else. I could say mine for 3 hours, and not play RS for 4 weeks. But when I come back I have to do something that's not mining, as that is the last thing I did. Never power trained anything before, and it kinda shows in my skills after playing for almost 4 years, but meh, there you go.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

I guess it just comes down to what mood I'm in. Sometimes I log in with no desire to train at all, so I play a mini-game (combat or otherwise) or hang out with friends and chat. Quests are always fun, sometimes I even go help some newbies do F2P quests... Brings back memories. :P

And sometimes I find that I'll enjoy trainning. Mining is one of my favourite skills (don't hit me!) and I find it relaxing to just grab my pickaxe and head out to a nice quiet area where I don't have to compete for the ores, and just enjoy the mining. When the PvP worlds are released I'll be able to make any mining location I want a "nice and quiet area where I don't have to compete for the ores" :twisted:

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

I calculate/plan things out while i'm training So i know what i'm gonna do next and how i'm gonna do it without burning all my money :thumbsup:

(i'm currently trying to find a cheaper method to 80-99 construction)

I enjoy playing and planning things out ::'

Zaroterasu.png

It's just what you take joyment from:

I for one really enjoy DOING these calculations: trying to imporve my efficiency is the fun of runescape for me (at least... while skilling).

Others might like the actual "goal": and hence will also strive for maximizing effeciency.

While again other people like the actual "road" of getting levels, you won't see them going through extremes to get a certain level: they just want to have fun at every moment!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

enjoyment > efficiency tbh, if u think otherwise, take a break from the game, and think about it,

i play rs to enjoy it and not to overwelm ppl with xp i got an hour, if you hate a method of training but still use it to use it because its fast, then dont play the game.

i personaly did monkfish till 99 fishing at a rate of 30k xp/h, while i could of picked barbarian or shilo, almost 2 times as fast,

just because i enjoy it more

j6ub8h.png

I don't do that. In fact, I have never done that even though I was on the top 50 for over a year (fighters hiscore only). :twisted:

I don't care which place gives the *most* exp, if I don't like the place, I never go there. I trained in wildy all the time even though many other places were more efficient and safer. ;) I just liked it better where I was since it was more exciting.

That's why I hate when people put their oar in and give unsolicited advice like "Meili you should go to _____ it has the best exp for your level" kind of thing. I don't play for exp.

Wow quite a deep post.

I've tried incredibly hard to maintain the fun factor while grinding away towards my goal of 99 mining. I never play in low detail as I love how the Al Kharid desert is now much more appealing to my eyes in high detail :). Often times many try to strike up conversations with me while I'm mining and I rarily ignore them. I chat the hours away with them even if it costs me 5-10k of mining xp per hour. I never establish a goal xp that I must achieve everyday and I never just stick solely with efficient powermining. I take regular breaks and indulge in a minigame like Fist of Guthix or even walk around aimlessly and look at the scenery. At the end of the day, the game loses its true purpose if we just focus on menial tasks day after day and not mix up the never ending cycle...or forget to "have fun" as you say ;).

99miningnewsig.gif

~Retired 13-July-2010~

Thanks for the great memories folks :).

I usually set myself a small goal, nothing big. I figure out the best, least boring way of doing, and then I just do it. I have never set myself a big goal, I just don't have the patience for it, which is way my skills are just so terrible, and the amount of money I own is so low.

I rarely look at exp per hour unless someone asks me too, people often ask me what were my exp rates when I was wcing for 99, I can only tell them I don't know, as it wasn't important. I don't find enjoyment in grinding through skills, but saying that some skills are more fun to grind through but it takes a bit more time for me to be able to start the exp grind.

I always try to do something 'useful' with my time on runescape. That's fun for me, and when I haven't leveled in a while, I feel like I've wasted my time. Like now. I could be slaying, but tif is too addicting. I know I could be slaying while I'm typing this, but I'm on tif this because I want a break from school work. If I logged on runescape now I would never finish my homework, but once I've read the new stuff on tipit I can just sign off and continue with my homework. Yay :mrgreen:

2dvjurb.png