Post Pictures of Your Desktop - August

The_Sith

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't use Windowblinds.

Why pay for something you can easily get for free?

Visual Styles in Vista are a little more complicated than XP, but after doing a few themes, it is quite easy to set up.

First step, download VistaGlazz here. This is fully safe and works on SP1 and Plain Vista. Once downloaded, Run it as Admin and use the option to patch system files. Make a backup of said files before patching. (Not needed, but recommended). Restart PC.

[hide=Second Step]How to Install a Custom Visual Style

When you download and extract a custom Visual Style, you'll need to copy them into the C:\Windows\Resources\Themes directory, usually into a new folder:

image22.png

You'll want to make sure that the folder contains the visual style file within it, and not within a subdirectory of the theme folder:

image23.png

Note: Some visual styles are structured incorrectly and will have problems. Read this post for more information.

Now that you've patched Windows and installed the theme, you need to open the Classic appearance dialog by right-clicking on the Desktop, choosing Personalize, then Window Color and Appearance. Then you can click the link at the bottom to open the classic appearance properties dialog:

image24.png

Now you can choose the theme in the list. Note that some themes are based off the Window Aero theme and will show the same name, so if one is selected then just choose the other one. You'll need to have Aero available in order to use a theme based on Aero, of course.

image25.png

At this point you should be able to see your new custom themes. Enjoy![/hide]

Credits to HowToGeek for the second step.

DeviantArt has some great Visual Styles for Vista and is where I got my VS from.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

You reminded me, i need to clean my desktop out sometime. it's full of error reports and crappy rank images :|

[hide=]desktop%20july.PNG[/hide]

The icons in the top-right corner are there for decoration, the RV stuff folder is for when i used to do a bit of guide editing for RV etc... keep it for the fun... 8-)

and React?OS is an open-source vrsion of windows that's still in alpha stage :P

sig4.png

I change my desktop image often, but this is the current one. A friend of mine at deviantART created it. I use a lot of her images for my desktop when I'm not using something I created myself. :mrgreen: (I hid my desktop icons... I am pretty sticky about privacy on things like that.)

[hide=Turtle's July 17, 2008 Desktop]mydesktopjuly17_08.jpg[/hide]

-----------------

--->Your Guide to Posting in Offtopic<---

No one needs to get their ass on their shoulders about this

--the_tallest1
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

My deviantart gallery --- Turtlequirks Zazzle

...Might as well do this...

Mine is on a randomizer, switches between ~70 official Lord of the Rings desktops off the official site. I guess I'll choose one each month...

[hide=Legolas is looking at my icons!]desktop1ni5.png[/hide]

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

My desktop :) The fantastic, the wonderful, the incomparable Laura Marling... <3:

desktopzj2.png

[hide=Desktop]screenshot1.jpg[/hide]

Nice. mind linking the picture? I dont think I've ever seen that one before, and I consider myself quite the haruhi Aficionado. (Volume 2 special edition comes tommorow! /anime-gasm)

Tk5SF.png

[hide=June]30219gz.jpg[/hide]

I have no idea why I've got the currency converter up there, maybe so I can lol when the Aus dollar is more then the US dollar :twisted:

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

[hide=]

Don't use Windowblinds. Why pay for something you can easily get for free?
[/hide]

For the record, I wasn't encouraging him/her or anyone else to use WindowBlinds, I was just answering their question.

[hide=Vista partition]68y636.png[/hide]

my deskop as of 5 mins ago

[hide=deskóp]deskupjuly.jpg[/hide]

yeah i'm a h4x0r that is cracked and so is my crysis halo 1,2 bioshock and red alert 2. but then agian i got 22 legal bought games on steam :D white and nerdy ftw

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

A desktop Lenin64 would be proud of ::'

[hide=Clicky]Desktop.png[/hide]

That used to be my desktop background up until a week ago :o

Now its just:

[hide=desktop]22700568ks3.jpg[/hide]

For a 20inch monitor (LCD)

I like the basic windows photos, however i'm looking for something cool off deviantart right now. but deviant art is full of pretentious idiots who think they're good but suck really... anywho..

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)