At what level is a skill considered "high"? Combat effects?

Vulxai

First off, sorry if this has been discussed, I'm not native to the General Discussion (or anwhere out of Help and Advice, for that matter).

So I got in an argument with someone in-game (funny, now we're talking like friends atm), so at what point is a level considered high? I made the argument that it depends on the skill, but she insisted that it depends on your combat. I kept saying that combat doesn't have a big effect on if a skill is "high" or not, but she said that it does because it limits where you can train. I held my ground that some skills you need your combat, like your combat SKILLS, and slayer, but not the non-combat skills such as woodcutting, or fishing, or cooking. But she kept insisting that it still limits it.

We got this whole argument going because she said that her level 65 fishing, 70 wc, 70 fm, and 72 hunt are high (she's a level 3), I said that those are skills that aren't affected by combat, and you can still easily level those skills to those levels pretty easy, and that's when we started arguing, since she's only level 3, it's high. I still don't think your combat level determines whether or not a skill is high or not.

So what are your opinions? When is a skill considered high? And does your combat have a big effect on the non-combat skills?

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, 90+ is high. For any stat. Only thing is, some skills are harder/more expensive to gte high, and thus mor valued.

But still, even at level 90, I think you have like 20% or so of the experience needed for a 99, so it's just an opinion...

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

pfft silly skillers :\

I'd say skill being high is slightly in comparison to what your total level is, but then again 99 slay is still high at max total (the number evades me) so I guess it depends on the skill, and also I spose on how much you play/been playing for.

basically I just spent a post contradicting myself...... #-o

this-is-why-im-hot-super-mario-bros-fire-flower-funny-video-game-t-shirt-snorgtees.gif

GT: JRD is AvT

YT: hatethegamer

Youtube has nothing on it atm, but getting HD PVR within a month, so watch this space.

Lol I know this is all mainly opinion, I'm curious as to other people's opinions, and I just gave a background on where this came from.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

IMO combat does not affect if the skill level is high or not. Basically, all skills are considered high when your level is 80+. There are some exceptions though.

Attack and defence are considered high when you have 9x level, because whip easens the training alot.

Strength (and ranged) as a most-trained-by-pures is considered high when you also have 9x level. Hitpoint level absolutely depends on your combat level. Prayer, considering that f2p it is really slow/expensive to train, is high at 70+. Magic is very costly to train and way more effective in lower levels, so it falls with the basic skills. Slayer is high at 85+, idk about hunter, idk about summoning, idk about construction. Woodcutting - 9x, fletching - 99, firemaking - 92+ (or 99), agility - 9x, rcing - 91+, mining - 86+, smithing - 85+, Idk about crafting, Fishing/cooking - 9x and herblore - 70+.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

When I played in classic any skill above 75 was considered amazing. Nowadays, anything around 70 is the norm so I'd probably say that anything 92+ is considered high now but to be honest sad as it is, most people only respect 99's now

Scott

illusioncardsig.gif

Scottien

Illusion Leader | Clan Europe Member | Team Nigeria Member | Ex BsE Leader | Ex MOD Member

126 F2P | 137 P2P

Well, I can see both sides of the argument. Many people would not expect a level 3 to have stats any higher than xx/99, because they are a level three. So I can understand why she thinks having her stats at her level would be the base of her argument. However, you bring up a valid point that non-combat related skills are easy to level in, so you are both correct.

Your argument with her comes down to an argument based on opinion, which means you both are right in your own respective minds.

I personally feel that anyone, regardless of combat level, that has a skill level higher than 70 in any particular skill deserves a :thumbup: for the time put forth for that skill, and anyone with a 99 deserves :thumbsup:

bob7926.png

Levels don't determine how "high" a skill is. (Oh how contradictory that sounds...:lol: ) Rather, how much you know about the skill, the tricks, the shortcuts, etc.. If you can teach someone everything, or most everything about anything then you have mastered it. If your firemaking level is only 80, but you can tell someone how to effectively firemake the most efficient way, then you have mastered it.

Imo, it depends on both the skill and your combat level. (and if you're a def/mage skiller etc).

Example: Jack is a level 55 but not a combat-related SKILLER, he is an average player. But has 83 fishing.

High.

Jack is a level 125 but definatley not a combat-related skiller, he is an average player. But has 83 fishing.

Kinda low.

But in overall, any skill people dont usually have a skillcape on thats over 70 is kinda nice. :)

I dont need a siggy no moar.

90+ is the low-end of "high" imo, Jagex are still stuck back in 2001 where they think "Level 70" is high for RS2, quite stupid really considering you can get 1-70 in like 30 hours max?

The halfway point for 99 is basically level 92 so in my opinion, a skill isn't high until that point.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

Combat 130+

Skills 90+

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Well, I was going to say 92 was quite high, as did some others on this thread. Then I thought, hang on, 50% isn't that high a figure.

Looking at it in terms of percentage, I would more likely say that 75% was starting to get on the high end, so lvl 96 could be considered high IMHO.

Teeg

Here's what needs to happen:

Jagex creates a High Scores list that shows only ACTIVE member account high scores (moan about privacy concerns all you want, it's a minor issue). Then look at the following -

A high level skill is a skill level in the top 10% (your percentage of choice may vary).

A high level character (ergo) is someone in the top 10% skill total.

I think elite can be in the 1% range (top 10,000?)

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

It really doesnt matter on your combat level. There are many spots to train even for level threes. Bring food for agility like everyone else needs to when lower level.. Its quite simple.

I also agree with person who said its about the level of knowledge you have of a skill. There certainly certain skills I know not much about but achieved high. Others I know alot about. Others still that I 'do' know alot about but choose to ignore it and did it a way I preferred - So could be considered a 'master' even if I didnt put it much into practice besides experimenting.

Absolutely no reason for combat effecting how high other skills are. Its just a limitation.

I will say that the newer you are the lower you are though. It gets easier and easier to train making the skill lower and lower. So it also comes down to how you trained something perhaps in the most efficient way but very slow compared to todays standards.

I dont think it deserves more respect or nothing..but theres no denying certain things are alot easier now.

At what point is it considered high? It does depend on the skill. I would consider '80' generally to be respectable for most things. 80 for runecraft is high. 80 for cooking is low. 92 I consider 'high' for most skills. 92 for runecraft is very high. 92 for cooking...still low.

As for unlocking areas with quests..Not training combat is a limitation. It doesnt make skills higher or lower if you have access to certain areas. Any level 3 or low combat who thinks different..Dont fool yourself lol..No one gives a fudge and it aint hard.

Looking at it in terms of percentage, I would more likely say that 75% was starting to get on the high end, so lvl 96 could be considered high IMHO.
The issue with looking it in terms of exp experience is that you cant really do much extra at 96+ than you can below.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

90+ is considered "high" for me

but varies player to player i guess

Like my lil brother plays (10 years old) and he considers lvl 70 stats high (partly because he is a noob \' )

Veni vidi vici

I came, I saw, I conquered

Current Username : Bludclart

I'll say 80+ is high for combat, 70+ for skills. At level 70 you have like 700k in it, meaning you put effort into it. 90+ is respectable. 99 would depend on what skill.

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

For me 130+ is high for combat, and depending on the skill, 80+.

However, for different levels it depends. I remember once when I first started playing I saw a lvl 113 and PM'd most of my mates telling them I'd seen one of the highest levels in RS... :roll:

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

You all bring up very valid points, and good opinions. I must say, however, she did have a main with fairly high skills, so she isn't exactly a newbie to the game.

I'd consider a stat high about 85+. I'd consider combat around 115+.

~ HYT Chat Rules (Click Here): Read before entering the chat. ~

dztf80.jpg

| Former Clan Chronicle Editor | Former Clan Improvement Member| Former TET Member |