Tip.It Times Presents: Wasted Bullets

n_odie

The starting price was wrong thats why it dropped not because it was rare which at the time of release it wasn't. You have to remember that the starting price as due to Jagex and then merchants bought them all up making them hard to buy causing the GE to think it was a increased demand. Then when the shards became so abundant and to sell it caused it to drop. So it's all blamed on Jagex prices at first not the timing of the items release.

I'd agree with that. If I'm not mistaken I think I remember the dragon platebodies being first listed on the GE at 30m by Jagex. To be honest a price that high just isn't justified for a piece of armour which is, by todays standards, completely out classed and belongs in 2005. Not to mention that the D platebody isn't even that nice to look at, as others have pointed out.

Truth is the dragon platebody was put on the market by Jagex at a price that was way to high, and everyone who was willing to pay that high price (either for gloating or just because they really desired it) have done so. Now the platebody is naturally re-adjusting itself on the market to find a reasonable price point that everyone else is willing to pay.

Check out my blog!

www.masarius.com

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think jagex should make super powerful items

in pvp fights, people die fast already

i remember in my earlier scaping days, the fights in quests were long and challenging

now i used very little food and or potions, fights seem to easy

better items would worsen that

also FIRST POST YAY

ya the first boss of quest was an ok fight b ut the demons... beyond easy... but i wouldnt blame weapons for that as i just used whip.... i blame super duper increase in stats (can you imagine the ownage if we could raise stats that high... but the xp requirement would be horrible... already 1 mil exp from 97 to lv 98 and over another mil for 98 to 99....

dj_phox.png

Jagex just put the dragon platebody up too high. Then they put the dragon claws on way too low. Both the dragon claws and dragon plate have been desired for a long time and I am surprised the different direction they both took. As said there are better armours and the dragon platebody does not look as good with the other dragon armour. The other thing in this quest that was desired for a long time was the boosted stats. Even for two monsters, that opened up a lot of doors for jagex. Say jagex released that permanently. Barrows would rise because protecting your life is important, dragon would too. It would net more members, from there jagex would have satisfied everyone for years possibly. Everything would cost more and jagex could release a lot more content by increasing the boundaries. We could see some things like dual wielding starting at 150 str, the release of new weapons, armours, foods, prayers, etc. Then they could release a second trimming for skill capes at the new cap to add a str bonus to skillcapes. The could add new worlds where your character has different skills they could raise starting from level 1. Jagex has opened a lot of doors with the quests the have already released.

I feel like this article was just a rehash of what was discussed in several different topics on these forums. Don't get me wrong, it was a good read. Well written, as always. But maybe like the dragon plate being discussed, it also was released a little too late.

Very nice read, I however also believe merchanters played a major role in the price fluctuations of last week and not just the people who really just wanted 1 dragon platebody.

Too true, too true. Along with the fact of it's strung out release, the moment your everyday user sees one day of a price drop, they panic and flood the market with surplus goods.

hzvjpwS.gif

I did get a kick out of the kid telling me how out of touch I was and then claiming the Dragon Medium Helm is still 2M. For those of you keeping score at home, street price is currently 61,000 GP. Tough crowd!

I feel like this article was just a rehash of what was discussed in several different topics on these forums. Don't get me wrong, it was a good read. Well written, as always. But maybe like the dragon plate being discussed, it also was released a little too late.

In some regards, I'm a little guilty here, but bear in mind that I wrote the article Tuesday and they don't publish until Sunday. I also thought that since this was such a pivotal update, it was worth discussing; many people complain if the "Times" aren't topical enough. It's simply not possible to guarantee being both very topical (updates are only relevant for a few days) and "first on the scene" with that type of lead time.

Merchanters have certainly played a role, as they always have (and perhaps always should). In an article that is supposed to be roughly 600 words, I didn't want to start to explore that avenue; it would have really sidetracked my overarching point about the impact of releasing the plate much too late.

Many have said that the starting price of 30 Million was simply too high. Personally I agree, although were there no such thing as the Bandos Chestplate, 30M would probably be fine. This is sort of the basis of my claim that the update would have been wonderful - three years ago.

stormveritas.png

They might have been the best but back in RSC the D med was over 2M and if I'm not wrong it's still 2M now which is not for the average player.

Congratulations, you just lost every shred of credibility in this thread! D med is worth NOTHING, check the GE.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

I did get a kick out you calling me a kid but if you read it it said last time i checked which was when the RSC forums were still visible for the public which was awhile ago. I like that you pick that as the only flaw in my arguement but your still completely wrong it's not timing it's the set price that Jagex thought it would be worth.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I did get a kick out you calling me a kid but if you read it it said last time i checked which was when the RSC forums were still visible for the public which was awhile ago. I like that you pick that as the only flaw in my arguement but your still completely wrong it's not timing it's the set price that Jagex thought it would be worth.

First, if you're going to argue on the basis of the economy and set prices, it kills your credibility when your most recent data points are 5 years old.

Second, I -just said- two posts ago that I agree the release price was a bit too high, but that if the same item were released in a timely fashion, then the 30M price tag would be fine.

Remember, the D Chain, an item which is unquestionably inferior in all methods aside from perhaps aesthetics (which is subjective) was priced at 20 Million, and the erosion from that price was slow and gradual, implying the price was deemed "fair" by the market.

stormveritas.png

dragon just isnt as useful as it once was

with all the other types of armour and 3rd age as elite armour its hard for dragon to compete

999134fishy i would like to advise you that your forum signature links to a site automatically downloading a keylogger.

please get rid of it

right and i would believe someone who just made his first post against all the people who use addict sigs

gtfo

No, really. I clicked on the link, and 20 seconds later my antivirus found one. Thats not a coincidence.

What.

WTF is a raid?

A raid is a group of people going to kill something, i think. Like a clan killing the kalphite queen etc. Since they add more and more powerfull monsters such as the corporeal beast and the tormented demons, were gonna need a larger and larger group of people to successfully complete these "raids"

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

if they would give the dragon platebody better looks, like the style of the full helm, it would be worth it to buy it, the second problem is that the d chain is beeing grounded, the price is dropping much faster so any skill noob (skill noobs, don't take this personally) can buy it (not wield it)

a solution to this could be (like some1 said before) attaching plates to the chainbody (=> making it a platebody), then you'll need that smithing lv, so the chainbody still has his uses and won't be noob stuff over a few years,...

When you hear my steps, it's already to late...

Deeste.png

I assume Master Smither was talking about the current RSC price of the D med.

He's not mistaken if he was.

If that's what he says, that's probably an excuse. Why would he be talking about RSC prices?

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Personally I think that they waited to release the platebody becuase if they had released it previously then could not have sold that awesome Dragon Armor T-shirt....

seriously who buys that stuff?

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

I really liked the article. I thought that the author hit the point quite well with pointing out how the dragon platebody has been hyped up so much, that now the fact that it doesn't block 99% of damage, boost all stats by 50, shoot fireballs, and summon metal dragons on your opponent makes people disappointed. By releasing higher and better armors (i.e. barrows) before it, Jagex ruined any shot the dragon platebody had at superiority. Now it's just filling an empty slot instead of sitting at the top of the pyramid.

P.S. I still want one though . . . but there's no way I'm going to pay anything close to 30 mil for it. NEXT!

Dragoon_Z2.png

Dragoon_Z2.png

I really liked the article. I thought that the author hit the point quite well with pointing out how the dragon platebody has been hyped up so much, that now the fact that it doesn't block 99% of damage, boost all stats by 50, shoot fireballs, and summon metal dragons on your opponent makes people disappointed. By releasing higher and better armors (i.e. barrows) before it, Jagex ruined any shot the dragon platebody had at superiority. Now it's just filling an empty slot instead of sitting at the top of the pyramid.

P.S. I still want one though . . . but there's no way I'm going to pay anything close to 30 mil for it. NEXT!

It's 18M not 30M. :-#

On the first day for any item release, everybody wants the item due to it's rarity. Once people found out how common dragon piece drops are, they became less interested in obtaining this Dragon Platebody. A few days ago Jagex changed the drop rate, but it's too late now. There are already too many of these in circulation.

sina_j.png

Hacked on January 5, 2007 --> Lost: 56.4M, Santa Hat, Purple Partyhat, Green Partyhat, Christmas Cracker

people who get rich and do it legit like joob and I always get f'd over in the end.

Dragon plate means little to me. They will be as common as any other melee item soon after all the high leveler's farm them a while. Surely it will still be pricey, but in terms of having an "eye" candy piece of gear, then the Dagon' hai robe set from that same quest beats it hands down. Think about it. Only available through doing the quest and you only get one set. Now unless you can drop, and pick up multiple sets like you can with ghost robes, then I assume this has to be one of the harder items in the game to get at the moment. (Anyone confirm if you can?) 265 qp is a hard requirement to get for a majority of the typical Scapers. (Thanks for the person who was nice enough to put a set up for 320k the morning after the quest in the GE. I appreciate it. 0_o ) If ya got your hands on a set... hang onto it for a bit. GE price is 800k at the moment, and in the streets... well got to watch those shady alleys. My point to all this... The stats are par on both the robes and the Dragon Plate, but it's just the prestige of having something others may not get so easily. Yay me.

99 Fletch/Cook/Farm

{Started- 11/06}

Dragon plate means little to me. They will be as common as any other melee item soon after all the high leveler's farm them a while. Surely it will still be pricey, but in terms of having an "eye" candy piece of gear, then the Dagon' hai robe set from that same quest beats it hands down. Think about it. Only available through doing the quest and you only get one set. Now unless you can drop, and pick up multiple sets like you can with ghost robes, then I assume this has to be one of the harder items in the game to get at the moment. (Anyone confirm if you can?) 265 qp is a hard requirement to get for a majority of the typical Scapers. (Thanks for the person who was nice enough to put a set up for 320k the morning after the quest in the GE. I appreciate it. 0_o ) If ya got your hands on a set... hang onto it for a bit. GE price is 800k at the moment, and in the streets... well got to watch those shady alleys. My point to all this... The stats are par on both the robes and the Dragon Plate, but it's just the prestige of having something others may not get so easily. Yay me.

You can get the robes from the dagon'hai mages in the Chaos Tunnels.

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

I think this major price crash has been much more affected by Jagex's method of releasing this item, as well as the mindset of today's "merchants" (and even the mindset of average players)

First of all, every single person who did this quest got 1/3 of a dragon plate immediately as a reward. No additional effort required; all those people who were in a mad dash to do this quest and get their quest cape (back) were instantly granted a piece of what could have been another status symbol in Runescape. Now as a rough estimate, I'm going to assume 10,000 people in Runescape have done this quest. that's about 3,000 dragon platebodies' worth dumped into the economy within the first few days of release.

Then when you add in the ease at which these dragon pieces were obtained from tormented demons, that's a heck of a lot of dragon shards/lumps/slices in the game soon after the platebody's release. Although I appreciate that Jagex has tried adding a new level of versatility to their boss monsters, basing difficulty on the focus of prayer switching / weapon switching rather than simply high levels, these are fairly easy to kill and the drop rate was, and still may be, ridiculously high. I've met several people who have gotten 3-5 dragon pieces per DAY from these demons.

Although this is a huge fault on Jagex's part, that's not all of the problem. The mindset of today's so-called merchants - those who own 3rd age and other highly sough-after items, and those who run huge "GE merch clans" - is simply this: buy out the supply of a new item upon it's release, and you have the power to get what you want for it. 90% of the people in possession of the dragon plates didn't care to own one, they simply wanted to make money by selling after it rose in price in the G E.

This has already happened the last time Jagex released a new boss monster with promising rewards: The Corporeal Beast and the Spirit Shields. Arcane and Spectral Shields were not really of anyone's interest, but that mindset led merchants to buy out all of them. Today these items are considered junk after realizing there was nobody to sell them to; VERY overpriced junk, due to the price boost that the merchants originally gave it by buying them for max in the G.E.

However many of these merchants, who often hoard 3rd age and other highly "street-valued" items, can simply sell their investments whenever they begin dropping, by adding some 3rd age armour to the deal. You can see this all over the forums with any items that has recently been bought out by merchants or merch clans and have begun declining.

In effect, they can lead everyone else into thinking that these items are actually rare and in high demand by players who actually want them. But once it becomes obvious that there's no REAL demand for them, it's these merchants who will have no trouble selling even as they plummet to half of their original price. Meanwhile, everyone else is desperate to sell, willing to accept a ton of junk to prevent any further loss.

In short: Jagex is at fault for making this so easy to obtain

Merchants are at fault for buying out the item in the hopes of a quick few mil

Some players are at fault for following the G E prices without actually looking into the item theyre buying...and not REALLY wanting to keep it.

This happens to everything, nobody actually buys an item with the intention of keeping it unconditionally...an item starts dropping, everyone panics and it only feeds into the price crash. I suppose you could blame the Grand Exchange itself for that one, but that's a whole other story...

First, if you're going to argue on the basis of the economy and set prices, it kills your credibility when your most recent data points are 5 years old.

Second, I -just said- two posts ago that I agree the release price was a bit too high, but that if the same item were released in a timely fashion, then the 30M price tag would be fine.

Remember, the D Chain, an item which is unquestionably inferior in all methods aside from perhaps aesthetics (which is subjective) was priced at 20 Million, and the erosion from that price was slow and gradual, implying the price was deemed "fair" by the market.

I was talking about RSC which 3hitm4g3u said was the current price of the D med. I mentioned RSC because that is where the item is still useful for the decent player. So my data isn't 5 years old and my credibility is fine.

Yes but even if it had been released soon after the dragon chain the players would have made the market price and it would adjusted from there so either way it's adjusting to it's proper value. Not to mention more people would have hunted the dragon plate dropping monster because it would have a higher value for their time making it drop at a steeper sloop compared to chain. The dragon plate only had such a price drop because it was released at a mucher higher price than it should have been. Not to mention higher price higher expectations. If an item was 30M you'd expect it to be 3 times rare than the 10M item therefore making it better right? As we sww it wasn't true so it dropped like it would have at anytime. I don't see how timing had to do much of anything with the way it dropped because it would have been too much for it's stats 2 years ago as it is too much for it's stats now. Most rs players are practical and know what they are getting into when they buy something. Noone but someone with alot of money or that loves it would buy the dragon plate and get into a quagmire like that if they didn't want to. All in all it fails as a decent armour now as it would fail back then causing the price drop because of low deman and high supply from everyone monster hunting it. I know the dragon chain has held it's gradual downward spiral but thats because it still represents class in the lower levels and 7M is affordable for the general public. Nothing you response with will change my mind because I know the dragon plate flopped because of the price it was set and it would not been 30M back 2 years ago after it had steadied because it is not that good compared to the chain.

A final note on the flop would be the price manipulating merchants but thats another day and another dollar.

I assume Master Smither was talking about the current RSC price of the D med.

He's not mistaken if he was.

If that's what he says, that's probably an excuse. Why would he be talking about RSC prices?

Because thats were that item is still useful unlike here on rs2 where we have a wide aray of better helms.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I do believe only Dagon'hai monks are in the Chaos Tunnels? I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Dagon' hai robes are never a drop at all. (Since you get the set from a wardrobe in the quest?) And Elite I believe dropped from mobs in the tunnel after the quest, but they stopped that recently? Anyone know for sure... pls let me know. :)

99 Fletch/Cook/Farm

{Started- 11/06}

I do believe only Dagon'hai monks are in the Chaos Tunnels? I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Dagon' hai robes are never a drop at all. (Since you get the set from a wardrobe in the quest?) And Elite I believe dropped from mobs in the tunnel after the quest, but they stopped that recently? Anyone know for sure... pls let me know. :)

The monks drop the robes befor and after the quest that I am sure of and I think Jagex said the elite can be gotten as a drop.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

Really? Hum, they must of just added it to the loot tables of those monks. Even Tip.it doesn't have that updated in their drops. Interesting... I will investigate.

Don't investigate too far because it's usually right under our noses. :-w

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=772254

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png