Who wants to live forever?

No_99_Melee

If I remember correctly, the reason we die of "old age" is organ failure, most often. The reason those things fail is because of the way our dna copies itself. Every single time a cell splits, it has to copy it's entire genetic code to the other one. If I recall, it does this in something like 30 seconds, and since it is such as short period of time, mistakes happen. One mutant cell will always produce other mutant cells, which in turn may mutate themselves. Eventually, they mutate to the point where they can't serve their original purpose, and whatever they were doing is messed up. If the process of copying our dna were to be slowed down significantly, we would live much longer, but wounds would take longer to heal, and things like that.

It is possible for someone to live forever if they don't get sick, if they are extremely, extremely lucky, and mutations don't happen. This is why some people die at younger ages, and some people live to be >100.

It's possible I'm totally wrong with this, but this is what my science teacher taught us a few years back.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That implies that the only enjoyability one gets out of life is through passions or to strive to achieve goals. I'd say most happiness is derived from things like relationships, being great and accepted, fulfilling the senses and being content with aspects of your life.

The italicised is the main way I achieve happiness and comfort in life. Anyone who knows me knows I'm an incredibly passionate person.

There are things we can all do to improve our lives in terms of happiness, but happiness is only one aspect of life, and the fundamental point of my post still remains.

Life for the sake of living is not really a justification at all. Life, like all things, has to have some purpose. Therefore, living forever, without any purpose at all, is pointless.

The statements your making are way to individualized to apply to all people when given the decision to live forever. For example, some people just have a passion for making music - it is their passion. They don't necessarily have some deeper goal when taking enjoyment in their music, they just love the way it sounds and feels to make it. This is a goal-less passion.

Regardless, not everyone runs on passion.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

The statements your making are way to individualized to apply to all people when given the decision to live forever

10 points.

You realised my answer was a personal response. I never claimed my attitude towards life could be applied to everyone. It's merely what I believe. Fortunately, I've found a purpose in life.

If I remember correctly, the reason we die of "old age" is organ failure, most often. The reason those things fail is because of the way our dna copies itself. Every single time a cell splits, it has to copy it's entire genetic code to the other one. If I recall, it does this in something like 30 seconds, and since it is such as short period of time, mistakes happen. One mutant cell will always produce other mutant cells, which in turn may mutate themselves. Eventually, they mutate to the point where they can't serve their original purpose, and whatever they were doing is messed up. If the process of copying our dna were to be slowed down significantly, we would live much longer, but wounds would take longer to heal, and things like that.

It is possible for someone to live forever if they don't get sick, if they are extremely, extremely lucky, and mutations don't happen. This is why some people die at younger ages, and some people live to be >100.

It's possible I'm totally wrong with this, but this is what my science teacher taught us a few years back.

That which you are referring to is commonly known as cancer, rather than organ failure. But you're correct in both senses: it codes itself, which means it codes itself wrong. Which indeed means that the Fountain of Youth does exist, in a metaphorical approach - in genetics. Furthermore, this means that once efforts have been accomplished to "fix" this common genetic malfunction, one could theoretically live until a new source of death arrives. And believe me, efforts are certainly being made.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

That which you are referring to is commonly known as cancer, rather than organ failure. But you're correct in both senses: it codes itself, which means it codes itself wrong. Which indeed means that the Fountain of Youth does exist, in a metaphorical approach - in genetics. Furthermore, this means that once efforts have been accomplished to "fix" this common genetic malfunction, one could theoretically live until a new source of death arrives. And believe me, efforts are certainly being made.

Yeah, organ failure usually is just chemical rather than cellular. Whether it is a deficiency, imbalance or unstable chemicals that cause it, there are many organs and multiple kinds that each one can go through. I guess to prevent ever having organ failure would be to get really lucky and not be born with any dispositions, constantly test the chemical levels of each organ (not a doctor, don't know how it would be done or even if its possible), and not ingest anything that would alter any chemical states (alcohol, many pharmaceuticals, drugs etc.) But then of course you could always get some disease or cancer that would cause organ failure.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

Yeah, organ failure usually is just chemical rather than cellular. Whether it is a deficiency, imbalance or unstable chemicals that cause it, there are many organs and multiple kinds that each one can go through. I guess to prevent ever having organ failure would be to get really lucky and not be born with any dispositions, constantly test the chemical levels of each organ (not a doctor, don't know how it would be done or even if its possible), and not ingest anything that would alter any chemical states (alcohol, many pharmaceuticals, drugs etc.) But then of course you could always get some disease or cancer that would cause organ failure.

I knew I probably got something wrong.

On the flip side of this, for military uses, they are trying to find ways to temporarily speed up cells in certain parts of the body. Imagine a wounded soldier healing in just a fraction of the time, it may not be the best for their life expectancy, but still.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Uh, your not really getting the picture.

First off, the definition of world is Earth, or another place in which all that is common is pertained to.

Second, the whole idea of "staying 30 for the rest of forever" is not to mean that you forever relive one day for the rest of your life. It simply means your body forever stay as it is as a 30 year old.

You seem to be trying to disprove almost the enjoyability of living forever by using strict examples of possibilities that are even more farfeched than the idea of living forever.

I agree with your first point, but apparently I didn't make mine as clear as I would've liked to. What I mean is, the world would never end in terms of extinction of all life because you would be immortal. That is what I meant by "end of the world". I should've cleared that up.

I understand your second point as well, but again it appears I misused my words and didn't write clearly. I think that the best part of life is that as you age, you change over time in physical forms. You'd always remember what you were like when you we're 15, 20, ect., but you'd never change from the age that you stop aging at (in this case, 30). That's what I meant by "You'd wake up and see the same person in the mirror every day for eternity."

I don't see why those are strict examples. All of life (except yourself, of course) would eventually be extinct one way or another, and if you stop aging physically you would obviously see the same you every day.

ZpFishingSkillChamp.gif

I've thought about this before, I'd love to live into my 10,000s or even my 15,000s. I wouldn't care how old I looked as long as I could function with the same capabilities as a mid aged healthy man. I've often fantasized about living like that and being a consultant to world leaders and such, living to see the colonization of space, etc. Interesting subject. Interesting thoughts.

transformerfy9.jpg

I would accept on the following conditions:

-Stopped aging between ages 25-45.

-Can be able to commit suicide when life becomes too boring.

-Basically Lenin's definition of immortal.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

On the flip side of this, for military uses, they are trying to find ways to temporarily speed up cells in certain parts of the body. Imagine a wounded soldier healing in just a fraction of the time, it may not be the best for their life expectancy, but still.

It'd fix the physical injury, no doubt. Does nothing for the psychological trauma of battle though.

It'd fix the physical injury, no doubt. Does nothing for the psychological trauma of battle though.

Psychological trauma is going to happen, one way or another. The technology could still do wonders if it became readily available. Though I doubt that will happen for a long time.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I could live forever, as long as I don't age. I never seem to attach emotional bonds to anything, even my family. So it wouldn't be that bad.

Cube_by_Abfc.gif

untihf5.jpg

69827172ou0.jpg

When you mentioned the Dragon Plates I had a sudden vision of a load of gangsters running around in fancy dress yealling "Grim Reaper in da hood!"

Life is precious because it can be taken away just like that, so we try to reach our full potential before that time comes.

I find it ironic that some people desire immortality when they cannot even decide what to do on a rainy afternoon.

I could live forever and would like it, under conditions:

- no sickness or negative biologically effects due to mutations (cancer and such)

- non-killable by force either

- enhanced cellular reconstruction (rapid healing)

- access to stasis systems if I want to 'sleep'

I barely bind to someone, so when my family dies I would mourn for a couple of weeks and move on. And I would be on the move working as a bounty hunter of sorts. After humanity moves into space, I just follow them.

count_civie.png

Level 99's

[hide]Mining level 99 achieved November 2010

Smithing level 99 achieved February 2011

Fishing level 99 achieved April 2011

Cooking level 99 achieved May 2011[/hide]

Goals

[hide]count_civie.png

count_civie.png[/hide]

Drops:

Miscellanious: 1x Draconic Visage , 5x Focus Sight, 3x Abbysal Whip

Offering Effigy Assistance in Herblore, Crafting. Contact me ingame by pm.

11.jpg

I would want to live forever. First off, I wouldn't get to talk to God. But past theology, I have an even more important (Though infinitely more cheesy) reason.

I'd keep losing the people I love.

I'm a very affectionate guy. When I love somebody, I really love them. I mean, if my brother died (he's my closest family member) I'd probably enter an eternal depression. I was pretty distraught after my girlfriend broke up with me. I mean, if I went through life, Immortal, got married, when she withered away from age, I'd go insane, being forced to endure her absence for eternity.

Calvin.jpg

Of course I would want to live forever! I could use my ever growing wisdom and the reactions of everybody else(hey that guys immortal!) to take over the world then force it convert all of our minds into data. I will then seal all of our consciousness in a massive computer that is maintained by a massive force of robots who we can still directly control in order to conduct experiments. While inside of side 30 exabyte computer where our consciousnesses will be seperate but communicate through avatars our minds have created. In short I will have saved humanity. 8-)

signature.png

-Can be able to commit suicide when life becomes too boring.

As long as that's possible, I see no reason why I wouldn't want to.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

No, of course not. I'd rather be selfish and hope the people around me have everlasting life.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Of course I would want to live forever! I could use my ever growing wisdom and the reactions of everybody else(hey that guys immortal!) to take over the world then force it convert all of our minds into data. I will then seal all of our consciousness in a massive computer that is maintained by a massive force of robots who we can still directly control in order to conduct experiments. While inside of side 30 exabyte computer where our consciousnesses will be seperate but communicate through avatars our minds have created. In short I will have saved humanity. 8-)

Saved? Nahh. You just turned all population into no-life supernerds. :ohnoes:

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

Saved? Nahh. You just turned all population into no-life supernerds. :ohnoes:

Curse you! You uncovered my plot! :evil:

But, the sticky part of my plan comes when we have to figure out a way to A) power the computer B) maintain the computer. and C) protect the computer.

Personally I think most of those could be solved simply enough.

signature.png