Wine and alchohol discussion

pryomancer

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like most alcohol. Lager, white/rose wines, scotch and gin would be my drinks of choice. I really hate red wine though, just never got the taste for it. I think white rum is horrible also.

And somewhat contrary to most peoples opinion here, I love getting drunk and drink to get drunk fairly often.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I like most alcohol. Lager, white/rose wines, scotch and gin would be my drinks of choice. I really hate red wine though, just never got the taste for it. I think white rum is horrible also.

And somewhat contrary to most peoples opinion here, I love getting drunk and drink to get drunk fairly often.

Nah, I always thought you drank anyway, what does it matter, you're probably drunk right now :P

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I don't understand people who drink not to get drunk.

1. Every alcoholic form it's an aquired taste, so you don't even enjoy what you're drinking until years later.

2. ITS FREAKING POISON. You don't sip on rat poison and discuss it's taste, you chug it down and embrace the effects. ::'

I can distinguish between cheap and expensive wines, but honestly I don't see what the big deal is. That's why if the only option for drinks at a restaurant is wine, I always order the cheapest bottle. I prefer exploring mixes of beer and hard alcohol, sorta like jaggerbombs or irish car bombs. Way more exciting \'

You can still get a small intoxicating effect by drinking a few (3-4), so you don't need to drink half a carton to have fun with alcohol. I haven't been truly drunk in a long time, but I still enjoy drinking for the taste and to a lesser extent for the effect of the alcohol.

By the way, I don't think the fact that alcohol is a poison will deter people. It's the taste people care about, and once you get used to it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the taste of beer. In fact, I can think of nothing more refreshing than a good, chilled beer.

Heh, I never would have thought that of you. I can imagine you with a fine glass of cognac or gin or something.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

2. It's not poison. May as well call soda a poison as well because it can have adverse effects on you.

Technically he's 100% correct, ethanol is treated as a poison... [1] You just wont die from it as fast as from propanol or methanol ingestion, but it can poison a body pretty fast & lead to death.

There's no such thing as 'sugar poisoning' from soda (but excess sugar is dangerous to diabetics) and it doesn't cause similar physiological effects.

I still find it to improve the taste of certain drinks in moderate amounts (like rum, which tastes pretty bland without alcohol).. I never drink to get 'drunk' though

By the way, I don't think the fact that alcohol is a poison will deter people.

That's not the point he was making. The point he was making is that very few people in western culture take alcohol for its taste - it's something you take to lose inhibitions and "let your hair down".

If I wanted a good tasting drink, just take Pepsi. Seriously. Alcohol isn't meant to taste nice.

What can you tell us about wine Pyomancer?

I don't profess to knowing lots, but I am interested, and I think I probably know more than the average person.

For example, did you know that wine goes through a 'sick' stage, just after it's been bottled. It's because of the stress of being bottled, makes the wine taste different and behave differently, for a short while, then it settles and is fine after that.

Each individual wine reacts differently, too, taking longer or shorter to settle down.

spacescenev24.jpg

2. It's not poison. May as well call soda a poison as well because it can have adverse effects on you.

Technically he's 100% correct, ethanol is treated as a poison... [1] You just wont die from it as fast as from propanol or methanol ingestion, but it can poison a body pretty fast & lead to death.

There's no such thing as 'sugar poisoning' from soda (but excess sugar is dangerous to diabetics) and it doesn't cause similar physiological effects.

I still find it to improve the taste of certain drinks in moderate amounts (like rum, which tastes pretty bland without alcohol).. I never drink to get 'drunk' though

Yeah, I guess he's right on it there. I still don't agree with what he is saying though.

If I wanted a good tasting drink, just take Pepsi. Seriously. Alcohol isn't meant to taste nice.

Hey, hey, hey! Didn't I get in trouble from you by saying something just like this? :lol:

Hey, hey, hey! Didn't I get in trouble from you by saying something just like this? :lol:

You did? I'm 18; opinions are likely to change with me by the day.

I think the last time we discussed alcohol I was teetotal. ;)

By the way, I don't think the fact that alcohol is a poison will deter people.

That's not the point he was making. The point he was making is that very few people in western culture take alcohol for its taste - it's something you take to lose inhibitions and "let your hair down".

I'd seriously question that. Wine, for example, is all about taste. You don't try and make a fine drop just to let your hair down - the existence of wine tasting should tell you that it's a drink valued for its taste. I'd argue the same for beer, too. Everyone I know of that drinks beer loves the taste. My attitude, as is theirs, is that a good beer tastes great.

I think you're half right - it's partly about letting your hair down, but it's also about the taste. If it had nothing to do with taste, we'd all be drinking ethanol mixed with water.

I really disagree with that. I think people who drink purely to get drunk without regard for the taste are probably in the minority. Most people 30+ drink because they like the taste of it. But it's a matter of preference. There are times when nothing tastes better than a coke with ice, it can be very refreshing. But at other times an cold beer is perfect.

I could happily drink 5+ pints socially in a night, but if I drank an equivalent amount of coke I'd feel sick.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Speaking of wine, did anyone watch Oz & Jamses' Big Wine adventure when that was on? That was a great programme, really funny and learnt some interesting stuff about wine.

Never really drink wine though, drink beer and spirits and 9 times out of ten it is to get drunk. Alot of my family are alcoholics so I am always careful of the times I drink, I very rarely drink on my own so it is usually a night out when I drink, hence getting pretty drunk.

iteme3721.jpg

Well, I think you're both entitled to your opinions but nonetheless I do not think they're representative of the majority at all.

Western society, especially Britain, has a huge problem with people going out and drinking to get drunk, to the point where eight out of ten people in emergency units will be there because of an alcohol-related injury. They're the kind of people who will drink 10 pints of Stella in the knowledge it gets everyone drunk cheaply, completely oblivious to:

a) Its taste;

B) The effect it's gonna have in a few hours time.

Something tells me, maybe common sense, that the vast majority of people on a night out in town will not give a flying hoot about whether their drinks taste pleasant. It's not why they're out in the first place. Our society promotes escaping problems, not confronting them - alcohol merely provides the path to escapism.

And if we're talking about those who take a glass of wine or two a night to relieve the everyday stress of working life, they're probably even worse when it comes to alcoholism than the aforementioned group of binge-drinkers.

I'm more of a red wine person, one of my favourites being Chateauneuf du Pape. My favourite beer is probably Guinness, but nothing beats the stuff which you get in the brewery in Dublin. Finally, my other favourite alcoholic drink is Rum & Coke, but only if it's proper Coca Cola, and preferably Mount Gay Rum.

On the other hand, I can't stand Gin & Tonic.

Unlike a lot of people I know, I don't enjoy being properly drunk at all, and that's without the hangover.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

They're the kind of people who will drink 10 pints of Stella in the knowledge it gets everyone drunk cheaply,

10 pints of Stella would cost 30 quid at my local. As far as lager goes, Stella is an expensive pint. Also it tastes excellent.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I agree with Ginger. Every drinker that I know drinks for the feeling and not the taste. Even the adults in my family who are well over 30. I've never even heard of people drinking for the 'taste of alcohol' until I saw that this opinion was spread all over TIF.

I think you're half right - it's partly about letting your hair down, but it's also about the taste. If it had nothing to do with taste, we'd all be drinking vodka.

:lol: Sorry I had to.. But it's true.. I know some people who drink it bare without mixing, they only do it to get wasted

Going on what Ginger says about taste it is true to a certain extent. I'll usually drink twice every weekend, can't other days because of school obviously enough. Both times I drink to get drunk. I wont really care for the taste of my drink aslong as I find it drinkable.

I wont touch it if it makes me wretch but if I can comfortably drink it (9/10 times any beer or cider) I'll drink it, good taste costs more but gives more pleasure. If I can afford the better taste I'll go for it, if I can't then I wont.

So ye, taste isn't quite high on the agenda in Britain and Ireland in most people usually <25, cost and will it get you drunk seems to be what counts.

I like red, Chilean Merlot ftw :thumbsup:

:thumbup:

Any good cocktail recipes I could try?

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I agree with Ginger. Every drinker that I know drinks for the feeling and not the taste. Even the adults in my family who are well over 30. I've never even heard of people drinking for the 'taste of alcohol' until I saw that this opinion was spread all over TIF.

Do they actually like the taste?