What are your thoughts on grand exchange merchanting?

saif

well I recently got a response like this:

10hnnd5.jpg

I dump my items on acidy cuz I pro

People like you make me sick. Its because of people like you, who hoard/dump items, that the RS economy is in such a messed-up state. :thumbdown:

this was jsut to me solo merchenting dharok's platelegs.

some people classify grand exchange merchenting as price manipulation and not a good way to earn money.

Clan merchenting is also out there

I beg to differ, grand exchange merchenting is literally the BEST way to make money nowadays.

anyways post your thoughts on it.

Saifzman.png

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally depends what type of mercher. If its a group/clan who totally buy out certain items then its not only against the rules but imo immoral.

Now a single person who just buys items for low and sells high is perfectly fine.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'll agree with Dan. One person dumping 47 Dharok Greataxes isn't a whole lot of damage; multiply that by about 120 and you've got a major, major problem.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Well, I personally think the *best* way is to just buy and resell items at a higher interval(min to med, med to max) over one price update, and that's not really "merchanting" I don't think. i don't blame the people who take advantage of the GE database.

It was a bad update in my opinion because it helps to scare idiots into panic selling and drivin down prices whenever they see a change. If the database was nice and ugly with no pictures, I'm willing to bet that we wouldn't have such dramatic price swings.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Well, I personally think the *best* way is to just buy and resell items at a higher interval(min to med, med to max) over one price update, and that's not really "merchanting" I don't think. i don't blame the people who take advantage of the GE database.

It was a bad update in my opinion because it helps to scare idiots into panic selling and drivin down prices whenever they see a change. If the database was nice and ugly with no pictures, I'm willing to bet that we wouldn't have such dramatic price swings.

quite true

Saifzman.png

People like you make me sick. Its because of people like you, who hoard/dump items, that the RS economy is in such a messed-up state. :thumbdown:

No kind of merchanting hurts the economy.

Team merchanting hurts people who don't research before they buy, or try to make easy money. Solo merchanting keeps prices stable. Junk trading does nothing to affect the way GE prices go, only the speed of change.

2496 Completionist

i dont think its wrong i think it perfectly legal if it was illegal clans like a c i d y and amplive would have been banned ages ago.its just -.- upon

JMods have gone around chats and said it was against the rules. But just because someone's in a chat, doesn't mean they're manipulators.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Your basiclly scamming the system and no disregard for the damage to make some quick cash, way to go :thumbdown:

Your raising prices, now every person on runescape that buys that item as 1 wouldn't care, but those that buy in bulks do.

Enjoy your free cash, sooner or later when you wanna buy a item you'll realize it went up 100k in a day and you'll wonder why =D>

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Your basiclly scamming the system and no disregard for the damage to make some quick cash, way to go :thumbdown:

Your raising prices, now every person on runescape that buys that item as 1 wouldn't care, but those that buy in bulks do.

Enjoy your free cash, sooner or later when you wanna buy a item you'll realize it went up 100k in a day and you'll wonder why =D>

too bad items I merch don't go up 100k in a day -.-

Saifzman.png

Team merchanting hurts people who don't research before they buy, or try to make easy money. Solo merchanting keeps prices stable. Junk trading does nothing to affect the way GE prices go, only the speed of change.

What some clans do ghurts the economy tons, most items will end up crashing below what they origionally were afte rthey have been dumped.

And to the guy a few posts above, it breaky the price manipulation rule.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

it comes under item scamming (i think) but price manipulation is definately 100% against the rules.

p.s Damn my spelling is bad today.

zqXeV.jpg

My thoughts on ge merching? People who go in clans need to learn how to solo merch. They know that they can't make money without their clan.

League of Legends Referal link: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e55a571778d2633364408

"Life is short, and shortly it will end, Death comes quickly which respects no one, Death destroys everything and takes pity on no one"

Drops: 8whips, 28dboots, 1hand cannon, 2 dmeds 3dskirts 2 dbows

99s(in order): Attack Constitution Defence

An example is crystal seeds. Some clan is mass abusing it, again. last year someone bought it out and it went up to 200k each. Normally they're 25k each. Stupid buy out clans are manipulating it maliciouslyyyyyyy. :(

I once knew a clan that drove the Saradomin Sword down to 9M a year ago, sometime around the release of the GE. I believe they were 20-27m then. Of course it only lasted for a small amount of time; it happened in the early morning when the bulk of RS players were just waking up, and some idiots fell for the trick. When smarter people started arriving in the SS spot in W2 Fally, the price went back to normal almost instantly and the clan just walked off slowly. It was a small clan, but they posed as normal buyers and other members pretended to sell the sword to the other person for 9M. They communicated through a clan chat.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

An example is crystal seeds. Some clan is mass abusing it, again. last year someone bought it out and it went up to 200k each. Normally they're 25k each. Stupid buy out clans are manipulating it maliciouslyyyyyyy. :(

I once knew a clan that drove the Saradomin Sword down to 9M a year ago, sometime around the release of the GE. I believe they were 20-27m then. Of course it only lasted for a small amount of time; it happened in the early morning when the bulk of RS players were just waking up, and some idiots fell for the trick. When smarter people started arriving in the SS spot in W2 Fally, the price went back to normal almost instantly and the clan just walked off slowly. It was a small clan, but they posed as normal buyers and other members pretended to sell the sword to the other person for 9M. They communicated through a clan chat.

better example is dragon darts.

Saifzman.png

What some clans do ghurts the economy tons, most items will end up crashing below what they origionally were afte rthey have been dumped.

Not true. The 20 day average line has a small bump then returns to normal. The price after the dump will drop below the pre-hoard price, but will almost always bounce back up.

Almost everything is dropping anyway due to the amount of high level players now doing slayer and Godwars, and the lack of a hard boss monster with decent loot.

Mind explaining to me what rule it breaks if clans buy up a ton of a specific item?

If you lie to people to try to get them to buy into the item, it's item scamming.

Technically, group manipulation should be against rule 4 (cheating) as it is not really in the spirit of the game. However, Jagex hasn't really condemned it and I think they're going to fix it through GE limits, not making it against the rules.

2496 Completionist

Mind explaining to me what rule it breaks if clans buy up a ton of a specific item?

If you lie to people to try to get them to buy into the item, it's item scamming.

Technically, group manipulation should be against rule 4 (cheating) as it is not really in the spirit of the game. However, Jagex hasn't really condemned it and I think they're going to fix it through GE limits, not making it against the rules.

There was a rule (I'm not sure if it's still there or not) in the forum cod of conduct stating that working as a group to manipulate prices was agianst the rules.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

Quite [bleep]ing truth right there.

The problem with the ge database is it's graph-based display. That, and the one day trends. Visual representations of one day trends need to be ELIMINATED, and only list the text-based info.

There was a rule (I'm not sure if it's still there or not) in the forum cod of conduct stating that working as a group to manipulate prices was agianst the rules.

Yes, it is against the rules on forums. It's always been against the rules on forums, because there is no way to ensure the sale actually goes through. But forum offenses and ingame offenses are comparing apples and oranges. They are not the same.

hzvjpwS.gif