What are your thoughts on grand exchange merchanting?

saif

Mind explaining to me what rule it breaks if clans buy up a ton of a specific item?

If you lie to people to try to get them to buy into the item, it's item scamming.

Technically, group manipulation should be against rule 4 (cheating) as it is not really in the spirit of the game. However, Jagex hasn't really condemned it and I think they're going to fix it through GE limits, not making it against the rules.

But how are mass people buying and selling items on the GE lying to them? You have the GE database and a LIVE GRAND EXCHANGE to see what you're buying for what price. Where's the scam? Just because people are buying or selling something for a price that's soon to be changed either up or down, how is that a scam? That just means that specific player either got a good deal or a bad deal of what they could have if they theoretically knew what the group was doing.

Also, to anyone who says solo merching is fine yet group merching isn't.. How do you propose that Jagex separates the two and punishes those who are within a mass group?

You misunderstood what I was trying to say.

"Let's all invest in this item" is NOT currently against the rules.

"Buy this item because it will rise" is classified as item scamming if you're trying to dump your items by getting people to "invest."

To squash team merchanting I suggest severely cutting the amount limit on most items. Almost all the top 100 most expensive items should be 1 item per DAY limit, not several every 4 hours. There's absolutely no reason why you should be able to buy 600 dragon armor pieces in a day, as an example.

If the limits were cut down, hoarding would occur over a longer period of time. It would be less profit/day, and regular players who owned the item would have an incentive to sell it.

The GE wasn't really intended for merchanting, so this wouldn't be a controversial update. Merchanting will always exist and solo merches will be largely unaffected as they decide their own items and prices.

2496 Completionist

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ways that greed and jealousy affect different people is so interesting to me :lol:

Dance monkeys, dance...

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

People that knows me know that I do lots of solo merching and that I can EASILY make 2m per day with only 10M CASH. Proof is that I made 10m in 5 days during the holidays, and got myself DFS and some other stuff like Verac. Solo merching is perfect because it takes way more effort then clan merching. Finding the right item, the right time to buy and to sell or the price to buy sell isn't easy. Saif and myself and some other people love to solo merch but we don't hide ourselves when we want to use merching clans to dump. People will probably say "But acidy closed his chat!". Everyone (or almost) from acidy went to "Bobbomatic" or "Bobbamatic" (don't know if it's a "o" or a "a", probably a "o") chat.

About Clan merching, IT FAILS! I tried it once and lost 2m -.- not alot but still

ib7rVm.png

solo merchenting makes me a lot of spare money, so I like it.

on the other hand, price manipulative clans should not be allowed.

Sorry to hi jack the thread, but I didn't really want to make a new one.

But what would be a good thing to merch for someone with around 2 mil and a steady income of at least 200k an hour?

I'd just like to try it out and see what it's all about, im not gonna go screw up the entire rs economy.

first rule of merchenting: NEVER, EVER reveal what you are merchenting. unless you are introducing somebody to it, or you are just very generous.

2Xeo5.png

The GE wasn't really intended for merchanting, so this wouldn't be a controversial update. Merchanting will always exist and solo merches will be largely unaffected as they decide their own items and prices.

I beg to differ:

Skilled merchants will find the Grand Exchange Database to be an invaluable tool, enabling you to keep an eye on prices as they rise or fall. Get in quick if you wish to buy low and sell high!

Now, admittedly, this statment is in reference to the GE Database and does not explicitly refer to the GE in whole. However, this statement does imply that Jagex does, in fact, have nothing against merchanters and, possibly, even that Jagex supports merchanting.

EDIT: I just found this in reference to the price manipulation argument:

This will create a stable economy that cannot be abused by players who seek to manipulate prices to the disadvantage of others.

I will admit that this doesn't specifically state that price manipulation is against the rules, but it does imply that it is not approved of by Jagex.

Just another thing to consider while making your arguments on this matter.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

I kind of have mixed views on it. It has certaintly turned the highscores into a money game instead of a skilling one. If you want to be competitive on the highscores, you pretty much have to ge merch to make cash.

I and many many others can average about 30m a day ge merching, spending just 20-40mins at the ge a day. I do love this, but it's almost wrong just because of how easy it is. Where as prior to the ge and trade limits, merching was pretty much a full time thing.

As far as "group merchanting" aka manipulation goes, I'd love to see a Jagex rule stating it is wrong and can get you banned. At the moment, imo, it is the best way to legally scam another player. Most of these groups even scam their own members. Leaders buy out items days in advance, tell members to buy, then dump their items on their members.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

I think that merchanting, clan and solo, should be made a bannable offense.

The fact that it is possible, does not make it right.

The fact that you can do it easily, does not make it right.

The fact that people could research items before buying them, does not make it right or justifiable.

Merchanting is about screwing people out of money for your own gain.

This should not be an accepted thing to do.

But its the smart thing to do. Imagine if you could take 10 dollars and nobody would ever find out it was you, I would bet that 99% of all people here would take that 10 dollers. Now with GE merchanting its sort of the same principle were nobody can ever really ban you for it because they can't actually see what your buying and you end up making money anyway.

Rejected.jpg

Grand Exchange merchanting is the best way to make money without doing anything, no doubt about it.

I, along with my clan and other clans manipulate the prices of items for our own profit. Who the hell cares? We're using a method that Jagex introduced into the game, it's good and easy money. People complaining are the ones that can't do it.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

The fact that people could research items before buying them, does not make it right or justifiable.

How, exactly? The point of old merchanting was about supplying items to people who needed them, albeit at a premium. Much like the difference between wholesale and retail, it was a matter of convenience.

The new style is just buying and selling items depending on the price they go for, you aren't screwing them out of any money. It's just the going rate, after all. For solo, anyways. Clan is a bit different.

Hail to The Great Big Penguin in the sky. And Guthix, of course.

Harbringerjm.gif

I'm starting to get confused. Clan merching is buying out items. I get that. Solo merching, is investing in an item because you think this or that will make it rise, right?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Tbh those who clan merchant are even getting the short straw.

With solo merchanting you can make a nice 4 m + a day with a decent amount to start with.

Clan merchants rely on leaving all your money in one item that MAY rise for numerous days and then selling. In that time you can make a lot more with solo merching.

Sorry, my earlier post I had just rushed through the thread. And, after re-reading it I saw your post.

What you say about the clan merchanting is incorrect, it depends on what TYPE of clan you're in. The basic Flipping group or the clans with 100's of members that BUY OUT an item so that it DOES rise 5% per day. Me and a few others built up a channel (#Ge.M) For that exact reason, and became the BIGGEST buying out channel. Whatever item was set was bought out within seconds, and, of course came the 5% rise. We couild hold for well over a week if we wanted to, or even push it to two weeks depending on the item. The profits coming in were just pure amazing.

And, Harrinator. That's precisely what the two of the types are. The third, being the clan flipping groups.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

And flipping is?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

And flipping is?

Buying an item with a clan at one price and dumping after the first update for a different price (That's if the buying power of the channel can manage to push the price up)

Whole Clan Maniuplating is buying an item out for days

Solo Flipping is quite the same, buy the item under med and as soon as you get it putting it back into the Ge

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I see. Thanks.

I'm starting to get confused. Clan merching is buying out items. I get that. Solo merching, is investing in an item because you think this or that will make it rise, right?

solo merchenting can buy out items too. solo merchenting is usually buying low sellign high in one ge update

Saifzman.png

solo merchenting can buy out items too. solo merchenting is usually buying low sellign high in one ge update

Yeah, alright.

150 people can buy 10 warspears each.

Your telling me one person can buy 1,500 guthans warspears? Thats 2.7B, and if you have that much, you dont need to be merching (not to mention its not possible to have that much money.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Yeah, alright.

Your telling me one person can buy 1,500 guthans warspears? Thats 2.7B, and if you have that much, you dont need to be merching (not to mention its not possible to have that much money.

It's possible to have over 10B Gp, you just can't hold it all in your bank/one invent. Usually buying something in The Ge That you'll never get at any price (E.g Full Third Age Melee Set around 195M I think) And putting your offers in for that, and canceling. So, your Gp just sits in that offer. Do that with all of your boxes and there you go.

And no, it's almost impossible for a solo merchant to buy out an item on there own, especially with the Ge limit.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

How, exactly? The point of old merchanting was about supplying items to people who needed them, albeit at a premium. Much like the difference between wholesale and retail, it was a matter of convenience.

The new style is just buying and selling items depending on the price they go for, you aren't screwing them out of any money. It's just the going rate, after all. For solo, anyways. Clan is a bit different.

merchenting technically happens irl too...

ever heard of the dollar store or pound store?

they probably buy their items at 1/4 the price they sell at.

Saifzman.png

*Facepalm*

Did you even read what I wrote? Old style merchanting was essentially the same as wholesale/retail.

Hail to The Great Big Penguin in the sky. And Guthix, of course.

Harbringerjm.gif

Yeah, alright.

It's possible to have over 10B Gp, you just can't hold it all in your bank/one invent. Usually buying something in The Ge That you'll never get at any price (E.g Full Third Age Melee Set around 195M I think) And putting your offers in for that, and canceling. So, your Gp just sits in that offer. Do that with all of your boxes and there you go.

And no, it's almost impossible for a solo merchant to buy out an item on there own, especially with the Ge limit.

you can buy 25k dragon arrows in four hours at max if that counts. some person bought 50k ddarts and brought to 1.8k ea

Saifzman.png

*Facepalm*

Did you even read what I wrote? Old style merchanting was essentially the same as wholesale/retail.

I don't think she's disagreeign with you, just quoting your post as an example. or I could be totally wrong, whatever.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Tbh those who clan merchant are even getting the short straw.

With solo merchanting you can make a nice 4 m + a day with a decent amount to start with.

Clan merchants rely on leaving all your money in one item that MAY rise for numerous days and then selling. In that time you can make a lot more with solo merching.

Sorry, my earlier post I had just rushed through the thread. And, after re-reading it I saw your post.

What you say about the clan merchanting is incorrect, it depends on what TYPE of clan you're in. The basic Flipping group or the clans with 100's of members that BUY OUT an item so that it DOES rise 5% per day. Me and a few others built up a channel (#Ge.M) For that exact reason, and became the BIGGEST buying out channel. Whatever item was set was bought out within seconds, and, of course came the 5% rise. We couild hold for well over a week if we wanted to, or even push it to two weeks depending on the item. The profits coming in were just pure amazing.

And, Harrinator. That's precisely what the two of the types are. The third, being the clan flipping groups.

Yeh sorry i know there are very organized clans out there who do always make an item rise a lot ( i.e. crystal seeds atm) and stick to the the sale price given. I was refering to the clans like acidy , cmrobins etc. which most people have mentioned in this post.

s652yx.jpg