PC Format magazine has reviewed Runescape

me

Hey all. Probbably don't remember me (I was Joshtek on the old forums, and Magic J since the first year of RS).

Flicking through the UK edition of PC Format magazine I noticed RuneScape appears as a game review, heres some quotes and score:

"The monthly sub has long been a sticking point for the MMORPG, so we're pleased to see that Jagex will let anybody into its browser-based offering without charging a bean ... You get lots of features for your non-expenditure, with the usual array of skills, quests, deeply unimaginative characters and vaguely addictive repetition, and stumping up ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3.20 a month brings even more. Unfortunately, there's no community involvement beyond buying stuff and hitting people, and there's not much skill needed even for that. None of the challanges require anything beyond repeated clicking of the left mouse button, and the limited viewpoint of the Java interface makes even this a bit of a trial, maing your character more likely to start chopping down trees than change in to attack. It's breathtakingly ugly, too. Still, it's one of the better online distractions we've come across. If you'e low on cash and system specs, it's well worth a look."

"Crude and Clunky, but surprinsingly comprehensive", 65% (contains picture of RuneScape 2 and them eating a cabage with all low stats)

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Breathtakingly ugly hahaha :P

RuneScape deserves that 65% totally, with 36k people playing (there are as I speak).

P2P :: 1836 ST :: 91 MAGE :: 90 RANGE :: 85 PRAY :: 245 QP :: 124 CMB

I love the ugly remark, but come on what do they expect for such a small client! Hell I would love to see what they make of RSC.

Wonder what jagex think of this maybe we will get another 3d graphics update in 3 years time. :roll: :lol:

sined_starbo.png

Unfortunately, there's no community involvement beyond buying stuff and hitting people

Runescape has a much more active community than many of the popular online games.

None of the challanges require anything beyond repeated clicking of the left mouse button
Welcome to the world of MMORPGs. I fail to see how the other MMO's take more skill than Runescape, and I've tried several.

It's breathtakingly ugly, too.
For such a small Java game the graphics are great. Any better and the client size would have increased a lot.

I'm not saying the review was unfair, but those points weren't well thought-out IMHO.

I love the ugly remark, but come on what do they expect for such a small client! Hell I would love to see what they make of RSC.

Wonder what jagex think of this maybe we will get another 3d graphics update in 3 years time. :roll: :lol:

theyd probably say like OMG ITS STILL FRICKING 2D!! But I personally like the ok 2d vs the bad 3d.

Well, I'd say the review is kind of raw and theres a lot of criticism there.

In order to get a full detail of what RS looks like, you have to be playing it for a week or 2 at least. Some of the lines i didnt like:

- "...,deeply unimaginative characters..." - I believe the reviewer didnt like the outfit choosing system we have to go through to start playing. It could have been something else tho. :lol:

- "...vaguely addictive repetition..." - Thats cause you have to do the same thing over and over again for hours or days to get something "worthful" done. And as you play the game more, you become even more tied to the game. Sad though :roll:

- "...no community involvement..." - Of course the ingame community may be a bit too rough sometimes, but dont we stumble upon such things in real life too. But hey, Forums are still around, both the official one and tip.it's, where people can discuss things properly.

- "...None of the challanges require anything beyond repeated clicking of the left mouse button..." - Most of the actions in all RPG's and MMORPG's are performed by the mouse. Afterall why did someone invent a mouse if it has no use then? :wink:

- "...It's breathtakingly ugly, too..." - Ehem, this is Java, it has its limits and capabilities. It may not be graphically incredible like some of the modern RPG's, but at least it is still better than the old RS. If they take the sounds ugly, I couldnt agree more. Thats the only thing I dont like about RS - the sounds! :evil:

The review score should be about 5-10 % higher than it is.

dontfearthereaper2.png

this is by far the most addicting game i have ever played in my life! Im a bit too addicted but oh well :roll:

My rating of Pc magazine: -999. :twisted:

Do you like my new sig?

spritera6.gif

.::Sig Always By Me::.

i agree with what they say, especially the adictive part, thats why im still playing. although id rather have a real-time fighting thing and 1st person view, and walking using the arrow keys, im kind of satisfide with this game. graphics are ok, good for java tho.

Lmao they probaly logged onto world 1, and gained a lvl. Went to a few towns maybe.

the review wasnt unfair its actually about right, but I could say the same thing for any other online game excpet i have to install it and spend 50 bucks whenever they decide to update it plus 10 dollars a month. And better graphics(I hope)

Lagatag.png