Anyone else ever feel like taking a year and just leave?

ShaqAttaq

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

FOr the longest time it has been one of my dreams in life to just pack a small bag and go on a journey. Sleep every night in a different location and spend most of the day walking, exploring, traveling, or just resting whatever I feel like. Contact with other humans would be avoided unless absolutely necessary. I would return home maybe several months later, maybe a year maybe years, who knows. I might even chicken out and be back within a day or two. Or hell, even just find some woods in the remote wilderness and live there for aw hile. Set up a cabin or treehouse, bathe in the river, gather my own food and supplies...

Like I said it has been one of my dreams for a very long time, so I didn't just suffer a break up or something else like that and am being emo. Sure it would be great to get away from the daily grind and all the BS (and there's lots of that) of modern society. But mainly I am attraceted to the sense of freedom, of adventure, self reliance, etc that a journey like this seems to entail.

Anyone else or am I just some weird freak?

Sounds like Walden or Into the Wild...

Just make sure you know what plants are poisonous before you go and eat them :P

And be sure to know moose from caribou. And how to preserve it properly.

One of my more fanciful dreams is to retire in the woods or something alone, living off of what I can trap, shoot, and forage and accompanied only by my dog. Don't know what breed, Husky or German shepard depending on where I'm at probably.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I would definitely love doing that, but I would have to bring somebody. Not because it would make me feel secure, but I can't live without any human contact for more than 24 hours.

That and Canada is boring, its just snow and pine trees really

hiccup.png

I would definitely love doing that, but I would have to bring somebody. Not because it would make me feel secure, but I can't live without any human contact for more than 24 hours.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I would bring some one with me in case I run out of food.I'd bring Harri if I had a choice,thats one extra testicle to eat before I start eating myself.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

into the wild was a good movie :thumbup: i highly recommend it.

You're joking, right?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

into the wild was a good movie :thumbup: i highly recommend it.

Terrible movie.

The book however, incredible. The movie does not do the book justice at all. With the book, you feel a connection with Christopher McCandless, or Alexander Supertramp. Even if you're not into reading, it's worth it. The movie just portrays the story, badly. By the end of the book, you'll be questioning a lot of things. It's great.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

Walden Pond is actually fairly close to where I live. :)

I think that I could actually last for a good length of time without any other humans, as long as I have something to keep me occupied. Of course, it's not like I would be able to bring my laptop or something out into the middle of nowhere...(And no, I wouldn't need/want internet)

But if I could I totally would.

Getting away from all the distractions of life is something I do somewhat often. Over February break, my youth group has a retreat, out to a camp in the middle of nowhere in New Hampshire. And there are some nearby woods I like to go to once in a while.

As for the adventure aspect? It'd sure be fun. But I'd be too paranoid. And lazy. Exploring is something I like to do though.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Oh, and Walden is a great book as well. I got that for Christmas. Thoreau is brilliant.

I always dream of doing an adventure like what you want to do. I'm only sixteen. During the summer and warmer weather, I take day long trips. Wake up at six, pack, and head out on my mountain bike. I go on trails and roads. Just ride around all day. Eat lunch. And eventually head home. It's great.

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem..

Walden Pond is actually fairly close to where I live. :)

I think that I could actually last for a good length of time without any other humans, as long as I have something to keep me occupied. Of course, it's not like I would be able to bring my laptop or something out into the middle of nowhere...(And no, I wouldn't need/want internet)

But if I could I totally would.

Getting away from all the distractions of life is something I do somewhat often. Over February break, my youth group has a retreat, out to a camp in the middle of nowhere in New Hampshire. And there are some nearby woods I like to go to once in a while.

As for the adventure aspect? It'd sure be fun. But I'd be too paranoid. And lazy. Exploring is something I like to do though.

If you just want to get away, I suggest working a seasonal job as a trail worker or park ranger for either a national or state park. If your a trail worker you can spend up to 4-5 10 hour days just building and maintenancing trails. If you work as a park ranger, it's a lot less manual labor and more supervision of the park with some interaction with vistors. That's also just a general suggestion to anyone looking for a good outdoor, independent summer job.

I plan on doing this. I wish I could have things to make it easier though, like passports and a cell phone to call my folks, and some sort of tent that could fit in my pocket.

But yes, I would love this. More than a year, even. Just unplanned adventure ... it appeals to me. That's why I sorta wish I was born a loooong time ago.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

The book however, incredible. The movie does not do the book justice at all. With the book, you feel a connection with Christopher McCandless, or Alexander Supertramp. Even if you're not into reading, it's worth it. The movie just portrays the story, badly. By the end of the book, you'll be questioning a lot of things. It's great.

Really? I had to read the book a couple years ago for English and I absolutely hated it. Most everyone else in my class (or anywhere for that matter) treated him like some kind of hero for going to Alaska and was actually sad because he died. That's completely ridiculous to me; he went to Alaska with little to no knowledge on living in the wilderness and died because of his own stupidity. It's idiotic that he got a book which seems to idolize him. He deserved to die and I, for one, am glad his stupidity isn't polluting the gene pool.

Oh wait, you mean leaving all people behind? No. But exploring the world, with people, yes. I'd hate to be alone. It's scary. Because the only places you can be alone these days are places people decided "Hey, I'm not going to build a house here, it's scary."

Yeah.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

If you just want to get away, I suggest working a seasonal job as a trail worker or park ranger for either a national or state park. If your a trail worker you can spend up to 4-5 10 hour days just building and maintenancing trails. If you work as a park ranger, it's a lot less manual labor and more supervision of the park with some interaction with vistors. That's also just a general suggestion to anyone looking for a good outdoor, independent summer job.

I've actually considered it. I'm not old enough now, but someday, maybe.

I'm with ya there Lent. It's great having all this uber-awesome technology and all, but I'd love to have lived during the Age of Exploration. Or even before. And seeing as how ignorance is bliss, it's not like I would know about the benefits of life now.

It's rather amusing though. If you knew me in real life, especially if you don't really know my personality, I would be the last person you'd expect to want to do something like this.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

That's my fallback plan for if the economy goes to [cabbage] and world war 3 hits us - head up to the unoccupied lands of Canada and live off the land. :lol:

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

I have thought about taking something like this when I am older, but it won't work to plan probably. I would probably be mugged if I went wondering too far, however. Although, like dsavi said, I want to go on a trip that is organised, so to speak, like Phil's.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg