Gravestones: Death not so Serious?

Ned

I defiantly had more fun during the time there was no gravestones: This like this were FUN with ADRENALINE.

deadleesters.png

Dag Kings were one of the great RISK vs REWARDS. Altho if you were with a team which knew what they were doing you would get all your stuff back if you died anyway. But still...The server did kill the whole team once by shutting down on us.

Knowledge Talks| | Wisdom Listens

~~Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die~~

Vitafides.jpeg

Xbox Live & Playstation Network Name: Trojann2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tee hee my 2nd hot topic :P

OT: This is some good discussion, and I do acknowledge that DKS is one of the exceptions (when solo).

I really agree with the excitement factor. My stomach would always flutter when I went to DKS before graves.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

well i died at Greater demons,i was dozing off..mm i think gravestones a great idea,it helps in RWTing and well making the risks of losing items lower.i like it this way man.However,well you can choose not to bless or repair it...if you are a greedy.However,if you are a good samatarians u will bless and repair it.Humph,if u are more well greedy,lol dont bless it for them,let them have a taste of it....LOL see you

Pang78.png

personally I think you're right on the whole, however there are some exceptions other than gwd. Dks, they're hard to get back to without a partner and you can easily get koed again whilst trying to recover your items. Anywhere in the wildy, if you run and try to get back your items without thinking of revs then it could mean you dying again. PVP, how easy is it to die now with new weapons and strategy in pvp. D claws and D bows can quite easily rip through any unsuspecting player.

As for me, whenever I die I always feel that I won't get back to it, sometimes I don't even bother trying. This is probably stuck from my mindset before gravestones were released... or I just have bad time management skills?

With the release of lots of new high costing items, the need for people to keep hold of them is even greater. If you were rich in rs 4-5 years ago, you would of owned close to 10 d chains, and multiple sets of armour and weps. Although nowadays some people will just have 1 set of armour and a bgs, or an ags etc.. Therefore if they lose some valuable property it can be more devastating.

as has been mentioned gravestones help against rwt as you cant pick up your "rwt friends" items. equally this means your real friends cant help you if you die when playing by the rules, jagex had to make a way of you being able to get items back because you always were able to - well potentially anyway. its rare that jagex takes something away from us that we are used to benefiting from

another to add to the list of places that are difficult to get back to in 5 mins is pheonix - ok yes it sounds stupid that pheonix killed me but my graphics card reset when i took pheonix on with half prayer and lost my void.....Noooooo id rather have lost cash :twisted:

can you beleive it happened again same place...... i now take on pheonix with full prayer as i kill it and get dumped outside with all my stuff still \'

death is still serious where it ought to be

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

altough there are gravestones, ive died frequently including the loss of most my stuff ( mostly 500k-2m) wich is alot to me :P

I only die in remote places always acting stupid, and i never seem to be albe to retrieve it (4 min gravestone)

totall loss last 2 months: 5-6m (for some ppl its nothing, for me it is)

what i want to point out is that the gravestone wont save you, as you probably die in remote places wich are hard to reach.

Heres my thesis on how it works (Pscologically):

Graves are for the rich:

500,000gp? For a significant proportion of the game, thats quite a bit of money, even for myself, I only have the best f2p grave.

But, as we all know, the richer you get in Runescape, the Greedier you become.

Meaning: If you get rich, you can afford good equiptment, which you could then go and do GWD solo for exalmple. If you die there, even with 5mins with a grave, your 100% screwed.

Conversly, if you are in a team, and you Lag, resulting in a "mild case" of death, you can go and make yourself a cup of tea, come back to your computer and go get your stuff back.

I completely understand that this is a massive change from the old system, and it has it's flaws, but you can garuntee that JaGex will come up with a better system, after alll; they did with PVP and with the trade limit - Grand Exchange (arguably).

NOTE: I Personally don't have 70 prayer, so i can't bless. But I went DKing with some friends, and i have personally never felt so at peace when I watched them refuse to bless a crasher's grave. Even when he PMed us and got into our CC :D

(We asked them to leave / hop nicely - I was mager, and I got rex on them with my mad skillz - they prayed Melee, prime spawns, hits one of em with a mage attack, 1st hybrid dies, 2nd prayed mage in time, rex gets an attack, hits a 15 then his ROL goes active.

I think the mager teled, i'm not sure.

So, graves can have their upsides

2v8sgvs.png

I personally haven't lost anything from dying since gravestones were introduced, except during contact because I fell in some hole and forgot a tele out.

So yes, during quests and stuff where you have to go to very remote places, death is still serious. But most other situations aren't dangerous anymore, even at bosses you can just go back and get your stuff if you teammates bless.

I think this is a good thing, dying isn't exactly fun.

2dvjurb.png

mm, interesting topic... yeah dying isnt so bad anymore, but still theres loads of stupid things you can find about which items are better than which if you keep them or not. for example, if youve got full kharils and a whip and you use the prot prayer, if you die you get the karils, not the whip. thats the one thing that really po's me, the cheesy stuff you can replace takes priority over the more expensive stuff. you keep barrows gloves over alot of stuff, which is really annoying if youve got full armadyl for example. you die in gwd and you can say goodbye :shock:

Woot are are the king

You just made me think of a dk's trip long ago.

My team got crashed then, and in the end it was me (108 then orso) versus 2 lvl120's.

They both died when they accidentily attracted prime's attention.

that got me 2spears helms skirts whips and a fury, and lots of runes. still my best dk trip ever.:P

But ye, deaths have changed a lot.

Then it was a "sport" to go to those monsters. Now the sport is running as fast as you can to your grave.:P

Its just sad that you can't lose anything anymore. Everything is safe and your fortune just grows. I have always taken care that i don't die, but lately it doesn't really matter to me any more either. Good topic :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

imzachhubla.png

99 cooking achieved on december 7th 2008

Even though death isn't quite as serious I still think it's somewhat a big deal

But i remeber before gravestones I would wait at the dark wizards circle near Varrock, and wait until someone died :twisted:

that,s actually how I got my second rune plate (that was a big deal being non mem + no GE)

As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

beer2.png

yup.... runescape is pretty stressful

December, 19, 2009 (12/19/09)- 99defense- first cape- cb level 117

gravestonehe0.th.png

This is a picture of my gravestone ... clearly show that it lasted a total of 25 minutes...

i wasn't too worry about losing my items... but i manage to get back... i mean come on !!! 25 min ??? that's a long time !

huntintheenemy-1.png

Legendz - 100+ F2p combat !! Join today and get TWO free cookies @@@@@

crowngolduh9.gif - Proud Leader of LEGENDZ

warsword.gif - Proud Warlord of Clan Europe

gravestonehe0.th.png

This is a picture of my gravestone ... clearly show that it lasted a total of 25 minutes...

i wasn't too worry about losing my items... but i manage to get back... i mean come on !!! 25 min ??? that's a long time !

That's only because somebody blessed it, though. Try to keep that in mind. If you're soloing something, there won't be anyone there to bless and you'll have 5 minutes, tops.

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

The only time I'll think death is laughable is when i don't dc because that is how the majority of my deaths occur and that the gravestones disappear if you log out which is a bad no no. I really think thats how high lved players lose their items by dc/lag as we would have some prior knowledge to the monster we are fighting and be fast enough to sustain the blows we are taking from them until we actually lose control...

hasumon.png

hasumon.png

hasumon.png

hasumon.png

hasumon.png

Gravestones have not changed much. Players still loose as much as they did back then.

First of all, you pay 500,000 GP for best grave stone which lasts 5 minutes.

Second, before gravestones for most monster hunters they had reliable friends who helped them get their items back. Gravestones: if your connection goes bad it will disappear and you will have lost all your items.

So no gravestones really haven't changed much. People still loose as much as they did without because of their internet connection ruining their gravestone.

Without gravestones: Friends that would 100% get your items back. It is a disadvantage but still you would get your valuable items back if you had your friends around.

With gravestones: If your connection goes bad either if your friends is around or not you will loose all your items just like that and it does not matter if someone blessed your grave. Also if your friends aren't around when you get your stuff back if you are at bosses it will be very hard for you to get them back with ease.

I'm pretty sure that a blessed gravestone still works if you log out. Also, NOT EVERYONE HAD RELIABLE FRIENDS.

Not everyone who did gw/dk trips before gravestones came out even knew people who were reliable enough to grab someones item and return it if they die. And it's also a big change if you die in some random location, as people are more likely to bless your grave seeing as they gain nothing from letting it rot. Maybe you aren't someone who dies in random locations, but some people DO.

I must emphasize this though. Some people do die in medium risk areas. Just because YOU know the game well enough not to die in places like tzhaar or barrows or karamja dungeon doesn't mean that there is NO ONE who will die there.

P.S. I only came here because it's a hot topic o.o

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I remember when you'd be killing stuff and sometimes people would go afk or really low lvls would run around

and when they died YOU BENEFITED

it was how I got my first rune set, but now its like.. bleh

and it also meant everybody had a chance at getting a rare. esp when randoms were so common, in attempt to differ macros

I almost got a santa (when they were maybe 14m 2-3 years ago) but missed drop

and I could've gotten a couple phats but they came back before they died

f07t4.gif

2ciad91.png

rawr...graves insta die if u log/dc.

another pro with graves is that u can literally take ur very best gear every single time u have at least 1 person with u anywhere. before graves i dk'd alot and i always brought guthans with pro item on at all times and the rest was welfare. now i bring full guth fury dfs inf boots because i know i wont lose any of it.

back in the day when some1 died it was like OMG phree stoof pl0x and when u died it was like OMG *spam pm any names u can remember close by to give stuff back*. now if u see someone die its HAHA u suck and if u die its HAHA i suck pls bless grave im not usaine bolt (sp?). lol

null20defsig.jpg

Dk drops: 37 Barrows: 11 Dragon: 33 Visage: 2 Whip: 5 Dark Bow: 1

hhank_hilll.png

mmh3.jpg

Well yes and no lol I was alone doing Smoking kills and well I ran out of food without noticing and lost torso, and also during DT I lost another torso and those are places which are extremely hard to get back in time :( so don't always wear your best gear against something hard lol

Dude i remember doing that...mid 70's stats, and had just bought a whip not too long before. I died, and ran back like hell...and when i got back in, still no grave. Was it just me or was there no grave when you're in the final fight? because it seems i didn't even get a "your grave has just crumbled" or w/e that is message. I was just about crying b/c even though i kept the whip, i lost other things...only about 900k-1mil then, but that was a lot to a new member and whatnot. lolz

Dpattle.png[hide=]

You think you got it bad?

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important Slayer Drops: masks-8, leafbladed sword, gmaul-3

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

This is some great discussion everyone! I think I should point out a technical note: if you disconnect with a gravestone on the ground, the grave will disappear (making it unblessable if not already) BUT THE ITEMS REMAIN for the amount of time they were supposed to ;).

Examples:

You die, 5 minute grave appears, nobody blesses.

You log out, and log back in. Your grave is no longer blessable as it no longer exists but the items will remain for 5 more minutes.

You die, someone blesses, you have an hour.

You log out 20 minutes later and log back in. Your grave is gone but the items will remain for 40 minutes.

I have first hand experience with that :P

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

I haven't died in enough places to know about the difficulty of getting back to your grave, but most of you are high levels who can count on high levelled friend to bless your grave and give you an hour. However, people like me and other low levelled characters either don't have this blessing or don't have enough money to buy a long lasting grave stone. Because of this, when we die, it is serious trouble to get back to our graves in time. For example, I died on White Wolf Mountain when I was level 60 something without any protect prayers to a double agent from a clue scroll. Despite it being there, I could only afford a three minute grave, and wasn't able to reach it in time. I lost about 300k worth of stuff- which was most of my wealth at the time. Although that might not be much to you, I don't have much money, and my total wealth is probably under 700k now, at level 76...

Although higher level players might always be able to get to their grave in time, not all people can, so dying can seriously hurt lower level people.

petepont.png

[hide=My Very Low Goals...]petepont.png

petepont.png

petepont.png[/hide]

[hide=Stolen from Eddie_682]Guy 1:Poisoning daggers for free!

Guy 2:er, so I give you a dagger, you poison it, and you hand it back right?

1:yes that's right, can I have your dagger please.

2:why not just hand out free weapon poison?

1:I want xp from poisoning them

2:that sounds a lot like item scamming to me

1:it is.[/hide]

I'm always right. Remember that. I'm always right, even when I'm wrong

Died just this morning, wasn't paying attention to my health in Agility Arena and died doing those stupid darts. Got back with plenty of time to spare, as the stone angel of death stood guard over my precious armadyl helm.

I remember back when I was a noob, dying all the time and going into a panic over losing a rune scimmy, plate, or 15k in gold. Back when dying was very possible, very easy, and a good motivator to go prepared. Kids these days with their gravestones and their free home teleports.

I think 9 out of every 10 times I died was in the wildy on treasure trails

Icantcmyeye.png

Icantcmyeye.png