Gravestones: Death not so Serious?

Ned

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost 30m with graves gf (AFK goraks, forgot to put guth helm, died, had no spare dramen staves)

But yeah, it used to be something before, now death is just bad when you don't get blessed/make it back in time

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

Yeah, death with a team of players is not so serious anymore. But if you drop any barrows items, you still lose financially. Barrows items are instantly degraded to 0 when dropped. But if you ask me, nothing should be changed. So what, people are less distraught after dying? It simply spares people a tremendous emotional loss. When I died at bandos, I lost v helm, flail, d boots, and several other valuebles. Thankfully my team blessed my grave and i got the items back (but my veracs items were degraded to 0). If gravestones ere removed, i might never set foot in a dangerous team area again for fear of my teammates looting me.

And let's face it, there is no solution here. Removing gravestones would only bring back death scammers and looters who either trick noobs into dying or camp at dangerous places like vultures ready to scoop up the loot when someone dies. And RWTing would return. So I really don't see a solution here.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

And let's face it, there is no solution here. Removing gravestones would only bring back death scammers and looters who either trick noobs into dying or camp at dangerous places like vultures ready to scoop up the loot when someone dies. And RWTing would return. So I really don't see a solution here.

Exactly, RWT reigns once more, which nobody wants, and we certainly don't want updates that have a negative effect. I'm just asking opinions ;)

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

I contribute gravestones to one of the major improvements in player attitude.

We went from having people running over and waiting for you to die to people blessing your gravestones to make life better for you. It was a good thing. I never want to get back, even if it means losing out on the opportunity to get millions in gear off a corpse. The tradeoff is well worth it.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Exactly, RWT reigns once more, which nobody wants

I'd take RWT'ers if they came with no trade limits and pking back to how it used to be over what the market/pking has become now, honestly :P At the time of the update, I really don't think many people truly cared enough about RWT that they'd have wanted gameplay to be affected by Jagex getting rid of it, which it seriously was :? Not that i'm complaining that they're gone, but it was easy enough to ignore them and I definately preferred those certain things alot more before the changes Jagex made :P

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

Gravestones make death more bearable, but by no means makes death "nothing to worry about". Even with graves, there are still ways to lose your items you worked so hard for.

With the expanding map, many places are harder to reach, and sometimes even 5 minutes will not be enough to get them back. If you die at the chest in barrows, your going to be pressing close to 5 minutes to get back to your gave in time. If you die at GWD and nobody has 70 prayer, your out of luck.

I still don't wear my best gear anywhere dangerous, because I know there's always that instance where I might not get it back. I'm not going to personally risk 10m of my time even though I might get it back.

Also remember if you die while you have a grave out, anything at your grave vanishes. I once saw someone die on a KBD team. I was going up to solo it and got there just in time to bless his grave, but he forgot his anti-fire shield on the way back up. Needless to say he died and lost everything I blessed.

Anyways, I don't think graves are a "fail safe". Dying is still dangerous and can still make a dent in your bank. I like the grave system and think it was a huge improvement. I prefer it 100x over the old system we had. RWT can kiss my [cabbage], I want to keep my items, not lose them to greedy bystanders.

I only died at a boss monster once (at DK's after graves were introduced) but I know what its like to die and lose all the armor you worked hard for. I died a long time ago and lost my full mith to some idiot. I don't want to experience that feeling again.

dawnsigblue-3.png

What? No putting on full bandos and commiting suicide in w1 GE? I always get a kick out of that.

*Drink digsite potion* *15 damage* Ahhh ghosts are attacking me!!

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I was questing with my little sister, and I had to go do something real quick, so I logged out.

I told her before I went that she should meet me in Varrock.

She was near the goblin village, and wandered into the wilderness, was attacked by level 7 dark mages, and ended up dying.

When I asked what she dropped, she said all of her money. And I was like, ok, the 500 gp I told her to get out for the quest. And then she says, no... all of it. All the 291k that she had gotten from drop parties and such, as well as all of her armour.

1 minute to get to a remote section of the map is not enough time... I was not able to make it. She was very disappointed, and hasn't played since.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

One thing I always loved about this game was its rediculously high pentalty for death. It made the game hilarious, and lead to oh so many LOL moments where some dumb noob wandered into aberrant specters and got destroyed, earning me a free dragon med.

I guess its still funny though when some idiot dies fighting dharok and I see the 1 minute grave marker pop up. "Too bad for him" I say to myself, and then laugh knowing that his hard earned items are gone forever and he hates it so much.

Actually, it might be funnier that way...since now I dont gain anything but the lulz and he loses everything he had....hmm. :-k

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

One thing I always loved about this game was its rediculously high pentalty for death. It made the game hilarious, and lead to oh so many LOL moments where some dumb noob wandered into aberrant specters and got destroyed, earning me a free dragon med.

I guess its still funny though when some idiot dies fighting dharok and I see the 1 minute grave marker pop up. "Too bad for him" I say to myself, and then laugh knowing that his hard earned items are gone forever and he hates it so much.

Actually, it might be funnier that way...since now I dont gain anything but the lulz and he loses everything he had....hmm. :-k

Wow, people like you make Runescape a bad place... You would let someones grave dissappear when it would cost you about 2k to drink a prayer pot dose and bless it?

Hopefully I will be the one to find your grave at some point in the near future... :pray:

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

I liked RS's old penalty for death. It actually gave a rush to the game knowing you can die at anytime anywhere anyplace. Nowadays people dieing seems to be like "mmk, someone blessed me -naps for 10 min and goes back to take item-"

The grave update imo also toyed around with prices causing a general drop in items seeing as how it is now difficult to lose items. I would just call it a double-edged sword because I have also benefited a lot by having my 5 min grave. I do miss having to keep in the back of my mind at all times that I should be wary of what I am carrying at all times though.

120dgl.jpg

Gravestones have not changed much. Players still loose as much as they did back then.

First of all, you pay 500,000 GP for best grave stone which lasts 5 minutes.

Second, before gravestones for most monster hunters they had reliable friends who helped them get their items back. Gravestones: if your connection goes bad it will disappear and you will have lost all your items.

So no gravestones really haven't changed much. People still loose as much as they did without because of their internet connection ruining their gravestone.

Without gravestones: Friends that would 100% get your items back. It is a disadvantage but still you would get your valuable items back if you had your friends around.

With gravestones: If your connection goes bad either if your friends is around or not you will loose all your items just like that and it does not matter if someone blessed your grave. Also if your friends aren't around when you get your stuff back if you are at bosses it will be very hard for you to get them back with ease.

Gravestones have ruined the concept of death. I remember I used to scared to wear my fury in high risk areas because it was an instant huge loss. Just another Jagex mistake in a long run of them.

I think a false choice is being presented here though: you could just get the normal spawn time that you would get if you dropped an item on the ground. It doesn't have to appear to other people. Blessing could be shortened.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Tell me honestly - even before gravestones, could you have died unintentionally anywhere in the game?

Unless you went to the KBD lair without a DFire shield, or went into the KQ lair without a teleport, or made a conscious choice to go into a truly dangerous place, you just couldn't die. Between 2005 and now, there's only been one time that I've actually died unintentionally, and that was against the Spirit Beast (during the quest). Anywhere else is relatively safe.

I don't think that gravestones ruined the concept of death at all. It wasn't possible to die in low to medium risk areas, and if you wandered into a place like GWD or DK unprepared, then more or less, your death was already in the cards.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Personally, I think that something needs to be done about this. The system beforehand was fairly harsh, but in my opinion a suitable 'punishment'. Death is supposed to be taken seriously if it's unintentional.

Firstly, different gravestones should not provide longer timers than 2 minutes. Instead, they should have other benefits like a location arrow for the person who died, a location arrow and alert to people in your clan/friends list near the gravestone.

Secondly, 'blessing' should be indefinitely long, requiring level 2 prayer with no prayer points lost or any other costs. But with one condition, the 'blesser' must be within a certain distance from the grave (say, the same as the radius of the assist system) when the recently deceased retrieves the items, if the grave is older than 2 minutes.

Thirdly, there also needs to be a system of looting, where the looter gets a reward and the deceased loses some/all of his/her items, but I don't know how this could be done without RWT whilst still being effective. Maybe something similar to PvP drops?

This is more demanding for the 'blesser', and will result in only those who are willing to spend time co-operating with another player by keeping hold and giving back the items, as it was before and how it should be. Call me conservative, but the game was much more interesting when death actually had it's sting.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I agree, as now you can bring items such as the Fire Cape and other helpful untradables, and not worry about getting them again.

I did have a non-gravestone experience not to long ago. Killed Chaos Elemental on a PvP world, was stupid, and got myself killed by the beast. I was panicing, praying that items still stayed on the ground for a minute or two, as they did in the old days, as I had lost my Armadyl skirt when I died. Spellbook swap, Greater demon teleport, and I'm rushing to my death spot, all the while searching for taht red-dot on the mini-map. Well, i found it, grabbed up my skirt, Neit helm, AND, right as i clicked to pick up some rune arrows, it vanished.

Talk about a rush.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Wow, people like you make Runescape a bad place... You would let someones grave dissappear when it would cost you about 2k to drink a prayer pot dose and bless it?

Hopefully I will be the one to find your grave at some point in the near future... :pray:

No, people like YOU make it a bad place. Putting virtual gold at such a serious level. Its not my responsibility to bless a stranger's grave. Also, the way I amuse myself is my own business. I thought the point of a game is to have fun, not to ensure that everybody in the game lives happily ever after. Theres no reason to ever die in this game, and if you do its your own fault. The only cases in which it isnt your own fault is from a disconnect, which would make your gravestone disappear anyway.

And unless they ever actually lose their items from their death theyre never going to learn not to be an idiot if they want to keep their stuff.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Dying is a joke now. There's no threat in it at all. You can get to every slayer task from a teleport point within 3 minutes running. That makes Slayer almost risk-free.

I still don't wear my best gear anywhere dangerous, because I know there's always that instance where I might not get it back. I'm not going to personally risk 10m of my time even though I might get it back.

Then what's the point of buying it?

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Then what's the point of buying it?

Using it in safe areas :-s

At Armadyl GWDs, I wear zammy bracers instead of my barrows gloves and glory instead of fury to make sure my Armadyl armor keeps if I die.

I go by the assumption "if I die I wont get anything back". That way, if the worst does happen, i'm not disappointed.

dawnsigblue-3.png