Gravestones: Death not so Serious?

Ned

One thing I always loved about this game was its rediculously high pentalty for death. It made the game hilarious, and lead to oh so many LOL moments where some dumb noob wandered into aberrant specters and got destroyed, earning me a free dragon med.

I guess its still funny though when some idiot dies fighting dharok and I see the 1 minute grave marker pop up. "Too bad for him" I say to myself, and then laugh knowing that his hard earned items are gone forever and he hates it so much.

Actually, it might be funnier that way...since now I dont gain anything but the lulz and he loses everything he had....hmm. :-k

Wow, people like you make Runescape a bad place... You would let someones grave dissappear when it would cost you about 2k to drink a prayer pot dose and bless it?

Hopefully I will be the one to find your grave at some point in the near future... :pray:

No, people like YOU make it a bad place. Putting virtual gold at such a serious level. Its not my responsibility to bless a stranger's grave. Also, the way I amuse myself is my own business. I thought the point of a game is to have fun, not to ensure that everybody in the game lives happily ever after. Theres no reason to ever die in this game, and if you do its your own fault. The only cases in which it isnt your own fault is from a disconnect, which would make your gravestone disappear anyway.

And unless they ever actually lose their items from their death theyre never going to learn not to be an idiot if they want to keep their stuff.

=D> I have been trying to think of a good way to say as much.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gravestones have totally changed the way I setup my gameplan in high-risk situations.

I used to only bring 4 items, and would ALWAYS have the protect item prayer on.

Now, say I'm going on a nice trip to bandos, I'll bring Bandos chest, tassets, fury, verac helm, dragon boots, SGS, 2000 unicorn scrolls... etc etc and not care any if I would die, because I know that I will be blessed within 0.3 seconds of hitting the ground.

100111011101.png

5417.png

I died at my first attempt at a Bandos Mass. Accidentally tanking first kill with close to no idea what to do is fun lol... -.- Anyways, I was freaked out and grabbing emergency items when I noticed someone had blessed my grave. After that I was perfectly calm and got back with more than half an hour left. So yeah, death isn't as much of a serious threat as it used to be, especially in easy to get to/crowded areas.

Link to Forum Games signature.

[hide=TIFer Quotes]

This lack of discussion value..disturbs me.
English is the only language on this forum.

If you use another language, you need to include a traduction

bgok5jn dsgtalg

Oh wow, I hate everything -.-

Death kinda scares me.

your obsession with phallic objects shows quite clearly in your artworks.

Ffs, someone put this in their sig.

[/hide]

So yeah, death isn't as much of a serious threat as it used to be

Taken totally out of context, but I couldn't help it.

I don't die that often anyway, so gravestones vs. no gravestones doesn't make much of a difference to me. Especially since the only times I've died since graves came in were both in the lava maze up in the Wilderness, and I don't think I could've made it there in 3 minutes (the length of my grave's timer) anyway, even if I had been carrying anything I cared about losing.

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

One thing I always loved about this game was its rediculously high pentalty for death. It made the game hilarious, and lead to oh so many LOL moments where some dumb noob wandered into aberrant specters and got destroyed, earning me a free dragon med.

I guess its still funny though when some idiot dies fighting dharok and I see the 1 minute grave marker pop up. "Too bad for him" I say to myself, and then laugh knowing that his hard earned items are gone forever and he hates it so much.

Actually, it might be funnier that way...since now I dont gain anything but the lulz and he loses everything he had....hmm. :-k

Wow, people like you make Runescape a bad place... You would let someones grave dissappear when it would cost you about 2k to drink a prayer pot dose and bless it?

Hopefully I will be the one to find your grave at some point in the near future... :pray:

No, people like YOU make it a bad place. Putting virtual gold at such a serious level. Its not my responsibility to bless a stranger's grave. Also, the way I amuse myself is my own business. I thought the point of a game is to have fun, not to ensure that everybody in the game lives happily ever after. Theres no reason to ever die in this game, and if you do its your own fault. The only cases in which it isnt your own fault is from a disconnect, which would make your gravestone disappear anyway.

And unless they ever actually lose their items from their death theyre never going to learn not to be an idiot if they want to keep their stuff.

To play Devil's Advocate, I agree with this wholeheartedly. There were times when players didn't know enough about the dangers of the area they were in to come fully equipped (Iron dragons, someone w/o antifire shield, full Zamorak + med helm, ranging them with a bow and arrow), or times when players didn't know how dangerous Abberant Spectres were, and lost full Black (g).

It might sound mean and unreasonable, but it's not like they were wholly ignorant of the dangers of the area. Iron Dragons were determined to be impossible to range without an Antifire shield [and until the XBow update, impossible to range], and Abberant Spectres required noseplugs to deal with, both bits of information available virtually everywhere.

It's not my obligation or responsibility to bless your grave for you, albeit a nice thing for me to do. If you don't want to die, read up on where you're going to be trekking, and come prepared - or be ready to lose stuff.

[That'll learn ya.]

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I feel graves have changed death in a positive way.

Hoping others will fail and you will get a cheap buck is sad imo.

also graves are not always as reliable as you would hope, examples

1 week ago, i try to kill bork without eating... bye bye sara dhide (ik im an idiot rofl)

today, friend tries to raid movario's base takes instead of inspecting treasure pile, lost 20-30 mage logs

graves should be everywhere and not have weird exceptions like the places above :thumbdown:

29bc22o.png

[hide=drops]10 black masks, 39 dragon boots, 21 whip, 9 dark bow, 7 dragon legs, 8 mauls, 3 dragon left half, 2 dragon spear, 2 hexcrest, 1 kbd heads, 10 dragon med, 2 R ammy, 2 granite legs, 1 bandos boots , 1 bandos hilt , 1 bandos chestplate, 1 saradomin sword(ls), 2 dragon claws(ls)(solo)[/hide]

[hide=Viralaether's guide to Mac use]1) take your mac

2) drop it off your roof

3) ??????

4) Profit![/hide]1/7/9 quest cape ||| 5/6/9 all diaries ||| 7/14/9 300 rank MA ||| 4998th to 99 summoning on 2/27/10

Yeah death doesn't really scare me anymore except in PVP and Bounty Hunter.

Death to me now is just like "Oh snap" I died :P

ibiteu2death.png

[hide=Funny Quote]

Cbow! Cbow!!!!! +120 range is orgasmic. Or maul, thats what I'd get out of those two options.

I agree with baconisbacon, Cbow looks freaking sensual

Runescape: Where strong weapons bring sexual pleasure.

The size of the e-peen0r is directly proportional to the rarity/power of one's equipment.

[/hide]

1 week ago, i try to kill bork without eating... bye bye sara dhide (ik im an idiot rofl)

today, friend tries to raid movario's base takes instead of inspecting treasure pile, lost 20-30 mage logs

graves should be everywhere and not have weird exceptions like the places above :thumbdown:

Those are some of the few exceptions in addition to GWD/DKS solo, but I still think they cover you most of the time :P

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

i like the new grave stones because it no longer makes me go $%@* when i die, but i also like how godwars needs a killcount to enter the boss room.

makes having a team mate with bless just that extra bit more usefull and exciting.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

I think grave stones are nice for that random noob who charged into a dangerous situation without being prepared or for those kinds of situations where you're low on HP and might make mistakes like thieving and agility. But to the average player, I think they only ever die when they get disconnected, and gravestones don't protect against that. So... yea.

i like the new grave stones because it no longer makes me go $%@* when i die, but i also like how godwars needs a killcount to enter the boss room.

makes having a team mate with bless just that extra bit more usefull and exciting.

But you're supposed to go "$%@*" when you die. The system is designed so you will lose your items unless someone co-operates with you or you can quickly return to your location of death. Unfortunately, using up a few prayer points and clicking a gravestone (which you can ignore afterwards) is not enough to count as co-operation in my books. They should invest in time, not easily renewed points.

People who die frequently will of course be happy that the chance of losing their items is less likely, but it also means that the game is too safe and in fact less exciting than before. It's not about protecting pixels, it's about having fun!

~ W ~

sigzi.png

But you're supposed to go "$%@*" when you die. The system is designed so you will lose your items unless someone co-operates with you or you can quickly return to your location of death. Unfortunately, using up a few prayer points and clicking a gravestone (which you can ignore afterwards) is not enough to count as co-operation in my books. They should invest in time, not easily renewed points.

People who die frequently will of course be happy that the chance of losing their items is less likely, but it also means that the game is too safe and in fact less exciting than before. It's not about protecting pixels, it's about having fun!

Most of my recent deaths have been at Corp Beast. You get no gravestone there, so there's no time to go "$%@*". Every second counts in getting back in time to get your stuff back. One place where you can't get to your grave in time is solo GWD. Although, because of graves, I once killed Mith Drags in Full Verac, Zerker Ring, Fire Cape because I could laugh at death in most places.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

I always die in situations I cant retrieve my items from my grave:

Bork

Lagging at steel drags.

Bork aside, here's another problem with gravestones. They collapse straight away if you log out, what's the point of this? Is there some technical limit?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I always die in situations I cant retrieve my items from my grave:

Bork

Lagging at steel drags.

Bork aside, here's another problem with gravestones. They collapse straight away if you log out, what's the point of this? Is there some technical limit?

I don't think there are any technical limits with it. Its more there to still provide some danger to a death situation.

Also FYI regarding gravestones if you didn't know already:

Regardless if you log out or not, the items stay there even if the gravestone isn't. If its blessed, your items stay there for 60 minutes, even if you log out, change worlds, log back into your world and go to your death pile. Same concept with the 5 minute timer if its not blessed.

And Runescape is one of the few games that actually lose items when you die. Most games simply make you lose a few hours of xp instead. On that note, even with gravestones, Runescape still has a greater penalty for death than most other MMORPG's.

The grave system is still not a "joke" though. Just the other day one of my friends clan mates lost about 10m in equipment at a Sara duo because his clan mate only had about 30 prayer to bless his grave and they couldn't get back in time.

Graves do make some situations easier (which isn't a bad thing), but there is still a large aspect of danger if something goes wrong.

dawnsigblue-3.png

i'm glad now people can't just go around saying they were at the right place at the right time when some one died from a random.

true story- i was at cw and this guy had a mr. hyde event and he had desert robes on, santa hat, and torags hammers. he died and i almost got his santa. they were 25m at that time :roll:

i've gotten about 500k from people dieing from funny stuff. like this guy went afk and turned auto retaliate off at lessers. he didn't come back and he lost [i gained] obby cape and rune kitesheild. sheild was 50k at the time and cape was 300kish. the rest is just from accumulation.

then there's the time when people died at wcing yews and lost their d axe or head from tree spirt/random. then you had to buy back the head because the handle was useless but if you didn't have the money you were skrewed. ahh.....good times....

went to kq with a friend of mine and i lost my stuff all the time because i kept dieing. [96 i think i was]. he picked up my rune boots but i lost all my stupid legends capes -.-

all of this is giving me nastalgia. i miss old rs, but if it were back i'd blow my head off.

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

I agree with OP. It seems to me they are adding in a lot of stuff to the game that to me I don't care for. They are really starting to cater to the cry babies. I guess enough people have pissed and moaned about how long this or that takes to level. So now Jagex has to cater to the cry baby base, which is obviously huge to retain its player base.

They are basically catering to a I don't want to risk anything and I don't want to have to work that hard player base.

I just continue to play as I always have. There is not one mini game I play aside from Tears of Guthix.

in4F.gif

Maybe YOU, quest master, teleport master, super high agility, and a bank full of teleport jewlery and runes, and 500k to spend on a grave stone; don't have much of a problem.

But for me, there was a time only a few weeks ago where I died and lost about 100k worth of stuff, and I didnt have all this jewlery, 1 agility, and not high enough magic for the teleports to get there. Gravestones are helpful to everyone, so they arnt "overpowered" just because you can get to them with a lot of speed.

Lol, I remember always standing by macroers stealing their yews when random events killed them, haahaa.

And then there was that time when I was doing dt that someone died with red d hide and I felt happy after picking up that loot because that was exactly what I was wearing at the time :lol:

I'm sure there were other times when I was lower leveled and got some really nice drops, but I don't remember any :cry:

I usually try to not die anyway because I usually solo stuff and I don't usually make it back to where I died to get my stuff. Plus it is a huge inconvenience to die anyway.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015