Gravestones: Death not so Serious?

Ned

I remember the old days. Death meant a huge loss to a player, and a big jackpot for any bystanders. I would always take lots of food into any situation that I was unfamiliar with, careful not to lose the precious items I had worked for.

But that was changed a little while back. Gravestones were added, to stop RWTing, but also make dying, in my opinion, negligible and laughable :? .

A one-time 500k investment gives you a full five minutes to recover your items. 90% of the time I am able to get back with 1 minute to spare. The only times I have not been able to recover items is soloing at GWD. And then there is the whole concept of blessing and repairing, which gives players up to an hour to get back their items.

Death in RuneScape used to be a serious and sad element, with "OMFG noo!!! :cry: " and "FFS!! :x " making up most people's thoughts when they were killed. Nowadays, when someone dies, you see:

"Rofl. w/e :lol: "

"Lol. Lagg, brb."

Death, to me, has become a joke and now people can risk 100m+ items with next to no fear of losing them. There are so few times these days where one can die, seriously, and have it impact their playing career.

RISK VS. REWARD is supposed to be a key component of RuneScape, but it seems to me that the Risk is virtually nonexistent.

Personally, I think graves let us get away with way too much. Death in RS seems like a big LOL thing now. I'm not suggesting that they should be changed, but I was wondering what you all thought.

(The obvious positive is stopping RWT)

Some exceptions, where graves won't help you:

GWD Solo

DKS

Areas very far away from a tele spot (which are very few ;) )

Not sure if there was a similar thread, I didn't find anything.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I remember doing that. If I was poisoned I would get to an abandoned tele spot ASAP :P

----

Edit: Lucky you, I could never find a team that would actually return my items :(

I remember the old days. Death meant a huge loss to a player, and a big jackpot for any bystanders. I would always take lots of food into any situation that I was unfamiliar with, careful not to lose the precious items I had worked for.

But that was changed a little while back. Gravestones were added, to stop RWTing, but also make dying, in my opinion, negligible and laughable.

A one-time 500k investment gives you a full five minutes to recover your items. 90% of the time I am able to get back with 1 minute to spare. The only times I have not been able to recover items is soloing at GWD. And then there is the whole concept of blessing and repairing, which gives players up to an hour to get back their items.

Death in RuneScape used to be a serious and sad element, with "OMFG noo!!!" and "FFS!!" making up most people's thoughts when they were killed. Nowadays, when someone dies, you see:

"Rofl. w/e"

"Lol. Lagg, brb."

Death, to me, has become a joke and now people can risk 100m+ items with next to no fear of losing them. There are so few times these days where one can die, seriously, and have it impact their playing career.

RISK VS. REWARD is supposed to be a key component of RuneScape, but it seems to me that the Risk is virtually nonexistent.

Personally, I think graves let us get away with way too much. Death in RS seems like a big LOL thing now. I'm not suggesting that they should be changed, but I was wondering what you all thought.

(The obvious positive is stopping RWT)

Not sure if there was a similar thread, I didn't find anything.

Lol i remember when i used to follow some people when they were like real low health and poisoned just to get their stuff...

[hide=Stats]Jacobrodrig4.png[/hide]

[hide=Total Exp Today]Jacobrodrig4.png[/hide]

Talk on the phone for hours with schoolmates and you have an active social life.

Raid naxx with some schoolmates on WoW and you're a fat menace to society with no ambition or motivation.

I've almost died twice (that is, very nearly died) this month, and they were both in very remote places. The more remote the place, the riskier the monsters, it seems. There's no way I would have been able to retrieve my items in time, so I think the grave system works quite well.

Oh, and a word of advice: Never forgot to bring a teleport when cannoning scarabites.

Ahh, I died there once, also didn't make it back in 5 minutes.

Then, I bought a Pharaoh Sceptre, and I died once again at a scarab task and got back with 3 minutes left on the timer :D

Sceptre ftw!

All in all, I have found that there aren't that many places that can't be reached in 5 minutes. The only area I can think of now is God Wars and the DKS.

I don't know, its pretty serious to me. I mean, a few weeks ago, I was soloing tormented demons and I died. I got randomed while teleing to lumbrige, had trouble finding my spare sapphire lantern, and didn't use energy potions. As a result, I only got back in time to pick up my equipment and major inventory items. I mean, I lost half a dozen sharks from that death, I even think I lost a prayer potion!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!! Isn't that absolutely horrid. :o

Smobo.png

Got his first skill cape April 7th 2009, at lv 121+12 cb and 2000 total

I don't know, its pretty serious to me. I mean, a few weeks ago, I was soloing tormented demons and I died. I got randomed while teleing to lumbrige, had trouble finding my spare sapphire lantern, and didn't use energy potions. As a result, I only got back in time to pick up my equipment and major inventory items. I mean, I lost half a dozen sharks from that death, I even think I lost a prayer potion!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!! Isn't that absolutely horrid. :o

:lol:'d.

Identical situation has happened to me, actually. ::'

primesangrypj8.png

Evilrodyle's signature on SODB

Some ways it is better, some ways it not.

If your partner dies at dk's it means that instead of having worry about picking their stuff up, making sure you have it and then having to tele and cut the trip short, you can instead bless their grave and spend the rest of the trip getting lots of axes and laughing at them.

However we will never quite the same thrill when we nearly die and would have lost millions, or have the pleasure of watching someone die and see everyone rushing to their body, hoping to find some rare or millions in items.

Gravestones should stand, for everyone EXCEPT lurers/crashers. They should just die in a hole and let us take their walfare gear.

TifSig.jpg

That's a funny picture :lol:.

About the friend retrieving deal, it certainly makes it more convenient. There's a bit of a fine line I guess.

If only the game could detect crashers and lurers :(

It's realy changed my attitude about dying but thats if you have a person you know will bless it. I used to be a super safer and would eat everytime I could. Now I heal at around 30-40 hp at GWD but I guess a pony and an sgs just makes me resistant to waste food when I could be using the free HP I have.

Either way it's made me be less careful and not care if I see myself kiss the floor at GWD with a team.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Thing is, we had a way too harsh death penalty when dying to begin with. The worst penalty of any game I ever played. Now it's not as heart-breaking to die anymore, which is a good thing :)

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

I see your point, but gravestones are worthless when you get disconnected.

It happened to me a week ago at Wyverns. I lost blessed d'Hide (got them myself from treasure trail!!!) and a few K bolts, but it really annoyed me that when I finally was allowed to log back in, the grave stone was gone, along with all my stuff. Lost close to a mil that day.

So dying may be less of a concern, getting disconnectes is still a major deal to me!

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

I always thought death in rs too easy, I mean dying should take its toll on your mind too.

It would be much better if on death you would lose up to 10% of the exp needed for your last level in a random skill. (In other words, you can lose up to 0.1 * (exp for current level - exp for previous level))

That way people with all 99 skills that get killed, have something to do again 8-) , and

the old kamikaze style of playing has a downside which is missing at the moment.

Well yes and no lol I was alone doing Smoking kills and well I ran out of food without noticing and lost torso, and also during DT I lost another torso and those are places which are extremely hard to get back in time :( so don't always wear your best gear against something hard lol

calzer101.png

Thanks mods I lost all my record of my 99's GF

I think the time to suggest this was a year or more ago when graves were introduced....

However, it was never a big deal really. Friends always got my items back and if I was solo, I'd make sure I was comfortable with the 4 items i'd keep and the rest I would lose.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

I'm not suggesting that they should be changed, but I was wondering what you all thought.

Artemis this isn't really a suggestion thread, more of a discussion. And I wish I had your friends, lol. Most KQ teams I went with deleted me as soon as I died and picked up everything for themselves. Oh well.

Transcript, I agree. Disconnection is a problem, as it isn't necessarily your fault. However, don't the items will stay there for the gravestone's lifespan (even if it has been blessed)?

Rsp makes a good point about death needing to take a toll on the mind, I agree :)

i think the gravestones are a good idea, it gives people more reason to use the expensive items. Because items like armadyl are almost worthless in runescape so many cheap items of around 50-100k protect over them and there worth 21m as a pair!

It is very unfair that you keep barrows glvoes at 100k over an armadyl skirt at 10.4million gp, because to alot of people a 10.4million loss is enough to make them quit not just get upset.

On a side note dont ever forget your online -.- i did that and got a dwarf random event while posting on a fourm and then had lunch came back and had died lost 23m 21 of it being arma top + bottom. All 3 players around where i died didnt have 70+ prayer to so go figure. Glad there REMOVING that bastard dwarf this month.

69er_is_best.png

GWD solo drops: Armadyl Hilt sold at 63.5m - (More to come hopefully)

Yep, death means nothing now.

The cost of the items I bring is no longer a factor when I kill boss monsters. I remember when I was hesitant to bring stuff to dag kings, even in a team, because there was still a chance that someone else could pick it up, not your teammate.

A result of the gravestones is that I now solo in expensive stuff too, even though no one will bless lol... I'm just more comfortable risking my gear.

I myself try to get to y gravestone ASAP, because if I die, I usually would have some items that are really hard to get. -.- But if I had less than 200k worth of stuff (yeah Im cheap...), and its far from my respawn point or nearest teleport, then Id just leave it.