17th March 2009 - The Chosen Commander|Route-finding Update

Sentry_Wolf

Zanik the cave goblin has vanished, throwing the city of Dorgesh-Kaan into turmoil. Where has she gone? Uncover the truth behind Zaniks disappearance and save the city of Dorgesh-Kaan in The Chosen Commander, the conclusion of the Dorgeshuun quest series

Ever since Dorgesh-Kaan made contact with the surface, the cave goblin adventurer Zanik has helped to defend the city from Sigmund's villainous plots. Now Zanik has disappeared, her fate and whereabouts unknown, and Dorgesh-Kaan is more vulnerable than ever.

Captain Undak of the Dorgeshuun guard is responsible for the city's defences, and he needs your help to investigate a possible HAM attack - but this will only be the start of your adventure. The mystery of Zanik's disappearance will be resolved, and the truth behind a goblin prophecy will be revealed, as events move inexorably towards the realisation of Zanik's destiny. Your adventures will include the discovery of a new Agility course, learning more about the history of the Dorgeshuun, and uncovering the plots of the Big High War God.

The Chosen Commander is the conclusion of a quest series that began with The Lost Tribe. I've had enormous fun working on this storyline over the last few years, and I've tried to give what I think are the best elements of the previous quests a final outing here. I hope you enjoy it.

Mod John A

RuneScape Content Developer

Summary:

Where to start The Chosen Commander:

Speak to Captain Undak in Dorgesh-Kaan.

Requirements to complete The Chosen Commander:

Level 46 Agility

Level 46 Strength

Level 46 Thieving

Must have completed Land of the Goblins

Must be able to defeat several foes up to level 125

To be reminded of whats happened so far in this quest series, start the quest and then log in to the QuestHelp system youll find a complete summary of all the earlier quests, from The Lost Tribe to Land of the Goblins.

To go along with the quest we're releasing a new Knowledge Base article, History of the Goblins, which is in the Miscellaneous Guides section of the Knowledge Base. We're also releasing a developer forum post looking back over the quest series, which can be found in the forums under Recent Updates. If you enjoy the goblin quests you may also want to read the newest Lores and Histories story, The Chasm of Lights.

In Other News...

To mark the end of the Dorgeshuun quest series, were releasing a limited-edition zip-up hoodie on the Jagex store. Its a limited run of only 2,000, so click here to get yours now!

If youre logged in to RuneScape and navigate away from the game screen, you will now have to click on a confirmation box to confirm that you want to navigate away from the page. This is to make sure that you dont accidentally lose your game window.

We've made a couple of changes to the party room due to concerns about abuse by real-world traders. Firstly, drop parties are now available only on two worlds (131 and 152). Secondly, players must now enter their bank PIN (if they have one) before putting items into the drop chest. We're sorry we have to do this, but we can't let real-world traders ruin the party.

We've added a wave-counter interface that will pop up at the start of each round in the TzHaar fight caves. This means you should now find it much easier to track which wave you're on.

Male ogres have been graphically reworked and improved to bring them in line with the recently-updated female ogres. They look tougher and stronger than ever, but don't worry; they're still not the smartest creatures around!

Players will no longer increase their drop-value potential on PvP worlds if they repeatedly cast the basic strike spells.

We've reduced the likelihood of your getting AMEs if you're burning incense in your house, or if you're in building mode. We've also reduced the likelihood that youll get AMEs in the Chaos Tunnels and on the Dorgesh-Kaan agility course.

Email registration for new accounts is now optional, although we would still advise you to enter your email address when registering, so that we can help you if you need to recover your password.

In this weeks update, weve implemented an extremely frequently-requested improvement to route-finding. This should particularly improve the playability of the game in laggy situations.

For a long time (well, forever really) it has been the case that when you click to move somewhere, your character would occasionally run in the wrong direction for a few steps before turning around and going to the point you actually selected. Fixing this has been a popular request for a long time. It might sound like a simple task, but in fact it was very difficult, which is why we hadnt managed it until now.

To fix the problem we have had to move the route-finding calculation onto our servers, so that the route is always calculated from the correct spot. However, before we could do that we had to upgrade all of our servers to be able to handle the extra computations required! Weve finally made this investment, and have been able to update the route-finding accordingly.

We think this is a great example of a small change which should make a big difference to how the game feels to play.

Mod Michael

Game Engine Developer

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what are your opinions on the new wallpaper for the Runescape homepage. It obviously relates to the new quest, but what I am curious about is the shaded figure in the banner. Any ideas on who or what this might be?

In my eyes I first figured it to be some monster; now that I look at it some more it almost seems as though it is a mechanical contraption being operated by someone in the center (a goblin most likely).

Anyone have similar opinions, or different ones altogether?

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

OK so this is what you're talking about.

The complimentary thread regarding the 150th Quest crosses into this discussion.

Did Zanik get transported to Mechscape? Now there's a introduction if ever I saw one!

head_image_cc_09.jpg

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

It should be fun. What I am also very pleased that they made the "route finding update". It always drove me a bit crazy when my character took two steps forward and one step back. :lol:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

It should be fun. What I am also very pleased that they made the "route finding update". It always drove me a bit crazy when my character took two steps forward and one step back. :lol:

Lol, nice one.

Update your post btw Sentry.

2j3qh46.jpg

Everyone is spamming AIR STRIKING FIXED FML FML FML

When I never air striked :D gg I'm happy :P

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

A bit low requirements, isn't it?

I expect the Quest to be loads of fun, but can't say much about the rewards (again, assuming on the requirements).

And what a wonderful route-finding update. Kudos! :D

Thanks..

Lord Shalaj

[99 Woodcutting] [99 Strength][99 Hitpoints]

30db3v5.jpg

"What will come, will come..

..We will have to face it when it does!"

Farming With Profit and VineSweeper Guide

A better method to slay Dagannoths!

PvP drops:

[hide=]1 x Vesta's Chainbody, 3 x Brawling gloves (Melee [1], Range [1], Magic [1])[/hide]

what's AME's?

signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you if

^^^^read backwards^^^^

anish00b.png

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=757562&p=6009903

^^^^The Best Melee Training Spot In The Game^^^^

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=786213

^^^^The new Bandits^^^^

even i have the misfile craze!!!

Everyone is spamming AIR STRIKING FIXED FML FML FML

When I never air striked :D gg I'm happy :P

I'm upset because it rules out fire striking. Now what am I to do with my surplus mind and fire runes?

FYI: AME = Anti-macro event = Random event.

Well, I logged out at the reward portion of "Land of Goblins" last night; deciding if I really wanted 52 prayer. I think I'll get the prayer, but not finish this quest until I find out the reward. I'll just go as far as I can without completion for now. Anyone who wants to join me is more than welcome. ::'

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Oh yeah, Patch notes too

The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game, please use the Bug Report feature ('Submit a Bug Report' under the 'Help' drop-down menu of the website).

Graphical

* The dragon axe animations have been updated.

* Locations and NPCs should stop disappearing for a split second, such as the archery targets in Lumbridge.

* We have fixed an issue with a cutscene in While Guthix Sleeps.

* Pikkupstix is a little livelier when he's standing around.

* The floor in player-owned houses should no longer interfere with players feet.

* A few more interfaces have been converted to a new and improved format.

* The TzHaar pit entrance has been restored to its former glory.

* The Kudos interface should no longer be hidden by the minimap in High Detail mode.

* The Third Age shield's border will no longer render through .

* The height-mapping around Canafis bank has been evened out, due to subsidence.

* Lighting fires in certain areas of Dorgesh Kaan should no longer remove the roof above.

* Several locations in Mos Le'Harmless have had render issues removed.

* The boulder in Olaf's cave now correctly animates when rolling the correct way.

* Oldak's lightning machine no longer clips through the ceiling.

* A render issue has been fixed in the Varrock Sewers.

* A dry stone wall now better resembles a dry stone wall, and has fewer gaps.

* The Digsite pendant now has the correct teleport animation associated with it.

Quest

* An NPC involved in the Grand Tree quest can now fight properly.

* We have removed a discrepancy with the King's Ransom starting requirements.

* Prison Pete's chat now correctly refers to the door you need to unlock, rather than the old series of doors.

* Some of the scenery in Back to my Roots has been updated and animated in the boss fight.

* The Fremmenik Isles quest requires 40 Agility, and correctly enforces this requirement where necessary.

* We have ensured that the checks for the In Search of Myreque quest handle players in all situations.

* Some of the dialogue in Meeting History has been adjusted to make slightly more sense.

* We have fixed an issue in the Myths of the White Lands quest when sliding around in a cutscene.

* The Rocking Out quests final cutscene has been slightly adjusted to improve the graphics and general behaviour.

* The Summoning requirement for While Guthix Sleeps has been clarified and should definitely be 23.

Minigames

* The Fishing Trawler will now allow you to bank your fish rewards directly.

* The doors in the Castle Wars entrance area are now open by default.

* The Barbarian Assault fighter hat should no longer make male heads disappear in Low Detail.

* The water effect was missed from an area near Pest Control.

* We have made sure the minimap in Puro-Puro is still hidden, as was intended.

* We have fixed an arithmetic error in the PvP world code.

* Treasure Trail boxes are now destroyed on drop, but provide information about where to re-obtain them.

Miscellaneous

* The Party Room is now a familiar-free area.

* You can no longer have a familiar near the Grand Exchange.

* The Party Room chest now has a bank pin.

* Several items have had their market price reverted to what they were before the RWT fixes (while relaxing a restriction on the market price). The shop price will also be more consistent with player values of the item.

* Gnomes will now drop certain gnome cuisine items.

* Various NPCs around Lumbridge will occasionally drop grapes.

* Spirit trees will now give information regarding the next evil tree spawn.

* The god familiars (Zamorak hawk, etc) will now provide the same protection as god-related items while in God Wars.

* Typos and grammatical errors have been fixed in a few places.

* You should be able to store the Hallowe'en warlock outfit in your player-owned house. The costume room code was also reworked slightly.

* The sound for the Home Teleport spell correctly stops if you interrupt its casting.

* A pillar in Pollnivneach dungeon now blocks Ranged attacks.

* An issue has been fixed with trying to summon a familiar if you don't have one.

* We have updated some checks for when players are in costumes.

* The code that checks the Defence and Ranged requirements for items has been made more consistent.

* Tormented demons should now be considered demons by the Darklight weapon.

* We have updated some combat code for various Ranged items and some more unusual weapons like mud pies.

* Black spears were wrongly requiring an Attack level of 10 rather than Ranged to wield them.

* Dagonhai robes are no longer allowed on Entrana.

* You will now have to wait a few seconds after combat before you can use emotes.

* Some item text is now clearer on the Grand Exchange expert interfaces.

* The player-owned house god banners have been moved together in the Construction guide, and the Guthix symbol now matches the correct colours (from green to red).

* The Statue of Saradomin in player-owned houses were slightly too tall for the room.

* You should now gain Crafting xp when the pyrelord familiar crafts gold bars into jewellery.

* Sacred and volatile pickaxes have been added to the Mining skill guide.

* We have adjusted the message you get when you run out of Prayer Points.

* The hints to penguin locations have been adjusted slightly, to help you catch the penguins in more cases.

* Zaff will now be more flexible when you're trying to request battlestaves.

seems very low reqs for the 150th quest, i was hoping for something like RFD that everyone can do but the higher you are the more rewarding the quest gets, hopefully the new agil course will be better than the other goblin course...

I think it's fine like this.

It's an awesome storyline, and everyone should be able to enjoy it.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.