Once a great game. A story/Rant for veteran players.

eatrunearrow

[hide=reply stack]

Why the hell are the "Dumb Kids" to blame? I am fifteen, I don't know if that makes me a kid, but I started playing when I was eleven. Why the hell are the kids to blame? We didn't do anything more than teens and adults did. Is there a little pie chart that tells which age groups are to blame for the idiocy in Runescape? Hell no! It's a free internet RPG, I don't know what you expect when you play, a prim and proper group of players?

Kids are not to blame, and why the hell are we dumb? We got ripped off, scammed and such because we just [bleep] started playing the damn game! I got scammed and ripped a lot when I was a "Noob" because how the hell was I to know what the hell the Wine of Zamorak was? How was I to know the prices and differences between stuff. Stillballin...how old were you when you started? I am sure you also fell for a scam, I think everyone has fallen for at least one scam. Why is it our "stupid little kid" faults? I am sure you were a stupid little kid once, and I think you are a stupid teen/adult/troll if you are going to blame it on one demographic with no proof backing it up. The GE is perfectly fine.

I wish people would figure the [bleep] out that the kids weren't dumb, it was the idiots scamming. I feel Stillballin was probably a scammer if he is complaining like he is about it.

=D>

Way to go. Kids, in general and on average, aren't really that dull/thick/whatever. They just don't know the difference between a lie and the truth.

I know, that was just a summarization. The good part is yet to come.

Scamming is lying. There, it's out there. Even if you think it's not, scamming IS LYING. Lying, in and of itself, is practicing deceitful behavior. So stretching the truth to get a little bit ahead is just as cruel and dishonest as blatantly lying. I would write more, but a lot of what I would write would be true or untrue based on your religion. So, I'll write a "politically correct" version.Since being "politically correct" means phrasing things in terms of the basic evolutionary theory, I'll do that too. Since we, technically, evolved from rocks, there should be no morals at all. But humanity has evolved to a point where ethics and morals have developed. These ethics and morals (not murdering, NOT LYING, not injuring a fellow human, etc.) are all based off of helping our fellow man and continuing to keep the human race in existence. So, by defying the ethics of lying by scamming another, you are essentially wanting to halt the progress of the evolution of that person's bloodline's section of the human race. Now, if you believe that ethics and morals come from somewhere else than continuing to keep the human race in existence, then you should know that lying is just plain wrong and DON'T DO IT.

By essentially removing scamming almost entirely with the trade limits and the GE, Jagex has made defying the moral law of honesty in the digital world they created less possible. And how is that BAD....?

Agreed. Kids are not "stupid" or "dumb" or whatever. They just lack experience. I started playing this game below 13 too, and I usually spoke MUCH BETTER English (though of course not perfect) than some idiots (hint, hint!).

I'm speaking the truth that I never got scammed. But that's probably because the time I started Runescape, jagex already had put in lots of measures to stop scamming.

I remember an idiot who pretended to be my friend but his ulterior motive was to get my pass to hack my account. LOL. What a stupid scam. I mean he said directly "come on, please tell me your pass". I'll rofl if anyone fell for that.

[/hide]

I got scammed once or twice due to lack of experience. Believe me, it's not fun knowing some guy just took your account because you didn't know that Jagex would let you type your password backwards. :(

Also, :lol: at the guy deliberately asking for you password.

a70c7.png

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=reply stack]
Why the hell are the "Dumb Kids" to blame? I am fifteen, I don't know if that makes me a kid, but I started playing when I was eleven. Why the hell are the kids to blame? We didn't do anything more than teens and adults did. Is there a little pie chart that tells which age groups are to blame for the idiocy in Runescape? Hell no! It's a free internet RPG, I don't know what you expect when you play, a prim and proper group of players?

Kids are not to blame, and why the hell are we dumb? We got ripped off, scammed and such because we just [bleep] started playing the damn game! I got scammed and ripped a lot when I was a "Noob" because how the hell was I to know what the hell the Wine of Zamorak was? How was I to know the prices and differences between stuff. Stillballin...how old were you when you started? I am sure you also fell for a scam, I think everyone has fallen for at least one scam. Why is it our "stupid little kid" faults? I am sure you were a stupid little kid once, and I think you are a stupid teen/adult/troll if you are going to blame it on one demographic with no proof backing it up. The GE is perfectly fine.

I wish people would figure the [bleep] out that the kids weren't dumb, it was the idiots scamming. I feel Stillballin was probably a scammer if he is complaining like he is about it.

=D>

Way to go. Kids, in general and on average, aren't really that dull/thick/whatever. They just don't know the difference between a lie and the truth.

I know, that was just a summarization. The good part is yet to come.

Scamming is lying. There, it's out there. Even if you think it's not, scamming IS LYING. Lying, in and of itself, is practicing deceitful behavior. So stretching the truth to get a little bit ahead is just as cruel and dishonest as blatantly lying. I would write more, but a lot of what I would write would be true or untrue based on your religion. So, I'll write a "politically correct" version.Since being "politically correct" means phrasing things in terms of the basic evolutionary theory, I'll do that too. Since we, technically, evolved from rocks, there should be no morals at all. But humanity has evolved to a point where ethics and morals have developed. These ethics and morals (not murdering, NOT LYING, not injuring a fellow human, etc.) are all based off of helping our fellow man and continuing to keep the human race in existence. So, by defying the ethics of lying by scamming another, you are essentially wanting to halt the progress of the evolution of that person's bloodline's section of the human race. Now, if you believe that ethics and morals come from somewhere else than continuing to keep the human race in existence, then you should know that lying is just plain wrong and DON'T DO IT.

By essentially removing scamming almost entirely with the trade limits and the GE, Jagex has made defying the moral law of honesty in the digital world they created less possible. And how is that BAD....?

Agreed. Kids are not "stupid" or "dumb" or whatever. They just lack experience. I started playing this game below 13 too, and I usually spoke MUCH BETTER English (though of course not perfect) than some idiots (hint, hint!).

I'm speaking the truth that I never got scammed. But that's probably because the time I started Runescape, jagex already had put in lots of measures to stop scamming.

I remember an idiot who pretended to be my friend but his ulterior motive was to get my pass to hack my account. LOL. What a stupid scam. I mean he said directly "come on, please tell me your pass". I'll rofl if anyone fell for that.

[/hide]

I got scammed once or twice due to lack of experience. Believe me, it's not fun knowing some guy just took your account because you didn't know that Jagex would let you type your password backwards. :(

Also, :lol: at the guy deliberately asking for you password.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE: Spreading news! Due to the recent growth of scammers in RuneScape, we (JaGeX), strongly recommend you to choose palindromic passwords to prevent yourself from accidentally typing your password out.

In case you don't know, a palindrome is a word/number that reads the same backwards and forwards. E.g. LOL, 7887, hah, sees, 999, 50099005

I haven't finished reading it yet, but these were my first 2 reactions when I started:

1. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. You make some decent points here, and know how to add a bit of humor. You could probably find a job as a pro speaker if you're not afraid of heights....

Let's hope the rest of it is just as good.

EDIT: Afraid of heights, what the junk? How'd THAT get in there? I meant fear of speaking in front of crowds...

Also, finished reading and have one thing to say: Other than some of the (slightly offensive) language being overused, that was a rather good piece of literature.

I am thinking about being a critic, just because I like making fun of stuff, whil e bringing up points about it...Next year in High School I have to take a semester of that kinda stuff...I'll see if I like doing it...I got a video camera too, I just never have gotten around to using it for video reviews...

Anyway, I am glad people understand my points! It been over a year and a half, and I personally think everyone should get over it, because if you are so attached to a game that you have to complain for eighteen/nineteen months, you clearly need to go outdoors.

Also, if you enjoy literature, you should join the Varrock Library...I am gonna write something over there later...

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Ahh the good ol' days. Where the wilderness was the best place for high level to mid level training. I joined the moment runescape 2 came out, being pointed out by a friend. The mature players who helped me instead of this ages "Ha ha you noob!" When the worlds would have lots of player interaction.Now the only player interaction is minigames and the occassional nice people in hotspots.

Ahh the good ol' days. Where the wilderness was the best place for high level to mid level training. I joined the moment runescape 2 came out, being pointed out by a friend. The mature players who helped me instead of this ages "Ha ha you noob!" When the worlds would have lots of player interaction.Now the only player interaction is minigames and the occassional nice people in hotspots.

Yeah, a LOT of player interaction... More like scammers and botters.

Yeah, a LOT of player interaction... More like scammers and botters.

I think he means player interaction as in like people traded with each other more and stuff not whether there were bots or not. Although personally i found the player interaction to be really annoying lol

Player interaction that led to scams and the like, that led to the wild being taken out, that led to me sitting here and telling you that player interaction is still in the game, it's just the fact that with easier, and safer ways to buy/sell/trade, what's the point of sitting around world 1 for hours trying to sell your full rune?

Player interaction that led to scams and the like, that led to the wild being taken out, that led to me sitting here and telling you that player interaction is still in the game, it's just the fact that with easier, and safer ways to buy/sell/trade, what's the point of sitting around world 1 for hours trying to sell your full rune?

Exactly. That was what I was trying to say.

Good post.

I remember when i got scammed for a rune longsword for 20k by an iron longsword. I mined coal at barbville for a week and lost it all. It taught me, didn't hurt me, and I was like 10? I quite for a few days, then decided to try again. I agree with eatrunearrow on how these youngsters led to Jagex ruining the game. Honestly, if someone got scammed once, then they would probably learn, no need to put up extra warnings/take out parts of the game just to protect them. The most time that someone should be scammed is 3, b/c you have to learn from your mistakes. This topic was like a path down memory lane, most of the parts i remember.

Staurolite.png

You were 10 years old and got scammed back then. These days we have young ignorant players as well. What's the difference?

I learned from my mistake, that's the difference. And im not trying to start an argument/debate, just sharing my story.

Staurolite.png

Good post.

I remember when i got scammed for a rune longsword for 20k by an iron longsword. I mined coal at barbville for a week and lost it all. It taught me, didn't hurt me, and I was like 10? I quite for a few days, then decided to try again. I agree with eatrunearrow on how these youngsters led to Jagex ruining the game. Honestly, if someone got scammed once, then they would probably learn, no need to put up extra warnings/take out parts of the game just to protect them. The most time that someone should be scammed is 3, b/c you have to learn from your mistakes. This topic was like a path down memory lane, most of the parts i remember.

Yes, it is a good thing to learn from your mistakes, but it's better to not have to make the mistakes in the first place. That way, you spare yourself from feeling stupid enough to fall for a scam, and the scammers end up with zilch. Everyone wins, except the scammers. And scammers can just go earn money honestly then, unless they're complaining about not being able to scam, in which case they're wasting their time. Run-on sentence, anyone?

a70c7.png

Good post.

Yes, it is a good thing to learn from your mistakes, but it's better to not have to make the mistakes in the first place. That way, you spare yourself from feeling stupid enough to fall for a scam, and the scammers end up with zilch. Everyone wins, except the scammers. And scammers can just go earn money honestly then, unless they're complaining about not being able to scam, in which case they're wasting their time. Run-on sentence, anyone?

To summarise, prevention is better than cure.

If you ask me, the people who first thought of the scams are pretty ingenious.

Yes, but were they right in taking someone's stuff with nothing (well, nothing worthwhile) in return? I mean, figuring out how to break into someone's house and steal their TV could be pretty ingenious, but that's considered a crime even if they returned the TV. :-k

a70c7.png

Yes, but were they right in taking someone's stuff with nothing (well, nothing worthwhile) in return? I mean, figuring out how to break into someone's house and steal their TV could be pretty ingenious, but that's considered a crime even if they returned the TV. :-k

He never said it was right. He was only commenting on the skill it requires to scam - morality is pretty irrelevant.

He never said it was right. He was only commenting on the skill it requires to scam - morality is pretty irrelevant.

True. And I didn't say he said it was right. I was just saying that while it may be intelligent, it's not necessarily morally correct. And while it requires some skill, I don't want those skills because having those skills would mean I would have had practice in the art of deception, which I definitely don't want.

a70c7.png

I remember a day when I was called a nerd and a troll for replying with the kind of lengthy post like Ratchet that you need a beverage and a bathroom break to get through. It warms my heart to see so many more people taking up arms against crybabies.

@Ratchet: emot-swoon.gif

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

@Omali:

I am here to please. Give me a topic, give me a person, and watch me tear them to shreds in twenty pages or more. *Bows*

What happened to your avatar by the way? I liked the seal.

Also, do you do guest articles for your site? I wanna review Armies of Gielnor!

Come to think of it, this made me really miss when I joined in 2005. Me and all of my real-life friends developed techniques to pk, RS was all we talked about for a good few months. One by one they all quit, so did I about two years back.

A month ago I began playing again and get PM'd "weres gertrudes house".

I replied with "West of Varrock.", he asked me what direction west was. I facepalmed. I told him there's a compass by his mini-map. Then he said "i no but it olny says wher north is". I asked him how old he was and he said nine.

9!!??

ffs.

They see me trollin'... They hatin'...

1z22bed.png

Moderatin' and tryna catch me postin dirtay...

Come to think of it, this made me really miss when I joined in 2005. Me and all of my real-life friends developed techniques to pk, RS was all we talked about for a good few months. One by one they all quit, so did I about two years back.

A month ago I began playing again and get PM'd "weres gertrudes house".

I replied with "West of Varrock.", he asked me what direction west was. I facepalmed. I told him there's a compass by his mini-map. Then he said "i no but it olny says wher north is". I asked him how old he was and he said nine.

9!!??

ffs.

Holy crap...I didn't know 9 years old were so ignorant and stupid...

I would expect them to be more intelligent at least...I mean you learn where's west when you're 7 or 8... :roll: I started playing before 13 too, but at least I wasn't THAT stupid...

@Omali:

I am here to please. Give me a topic, give me a person, and watch me tear them to shreds in twenty pages or more. *Bows*

Haha, I like to do that too :lol:

But I'll have to admit that your skills make mine pale in comparison.

You and me in the Is God Real? thread. Come on, let's go.

@Omali:

The seal is still there. At least it should be. I still see it as my avatar.

Hmm...guest articles? Haven't thought about it, but a well detailed Armies of Gielinor review would be welcome. You know, nothing too good that makes me look incompetent by comparison. ;) If you could throw in a Shattered Plans review, extra points for you.

Have your people call my people. Having a wordpress.com account is a big help.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png