Once a great game. A story/Rant for veteran players.

eatrunearrow

I am with compfreak on this one, Adults have common sense, in theory, than children do. If they act like children on the internet then they should except to be categorized as such.

The Following Animals Are Communist

1. The Ant

2. The Cockroach

3. The Rabbit

4. The Eloi

5. The Mouse

6. The Penguin

7. The Smurfs

Hail the Victorious Red State!

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to stay on topic, this thread is about the old days and not entirely the 'maturity' of the new community. Whilst it does contain some aspects, those of you debating over the maturity may want to create a thread in debates.

Happy posting.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

i was actually about to say that...

Oh, and how do those words of wisdom relate to the topic at hand>

Those are mostly the younger kids, im sure most teenagers have the brain to type out a half decent post.

I mean, they are starting to have to write essays in english class.

Not really. English class essays for the stuipd kid in the corner still look like crap, if they even finish them. I have relatives who teach.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Right okay on topic the good old days. Pepsi's were a nickel as well as Coke's. Wait wrong good old days. Gaining levels in the old game was an achievement of itself. Kids have spent less time playing than I have and could easily destroy me any day.

1. The Ant

2. The Cockroach

3. The Rabbit

4. The Eloi

5. The Mouse

6. The Penguin

7. The Smurfs

fair enough. now i feel like i have to contribute in some way. >.>

We're all waiting with bated breath. Could you either stop spamming or contribute something productive before I report your posts?

Right okay on topic the good old days. Pepsi's were a nickel as well as Coke's. Wait wrong good old days. Gaining levels in the old game was an achievement of itself. Kids have spent less time playing than I have and could easily destroy me any day.

That's not their fault. XP rates have stayed almost precisely the same for combat since the day the Abyssal Whip came out.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Okay I'll give you that, but still it can be disheartening to see the community collaspe under the weight of the poor sports out there. Btw you can still say you are over 13 and make an account easy. However if you say you are below 13 you can make an account (unlike before) and only have access to quick chat.

1. The Ant

2. The Cockroach

3. The Rabbit

4. The Eloi

5. The Mouse

6. The Penguin

7. The Smurfs

Okay I'll give you that, but still it can be disheartening to see the community collaspe under the weight of the poor sports out there. Btw you can still say you are over 13 and make an account easy. However if you say you are below 13 you can make an account (unlike before) and only have access to quick chat.

And how many people tell the truth about that? I know a 3rd grader who's played for almost 2 years.

DeviledEgg24.png

Could be, no idea. I am saying that 15 year olds are generally immature, some more then others.

I'm 15, I hope I'm not that immature, but I would agree that 15 year olds are generally immature.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Could be, no idea. I am saying that 15 year olds are generally immature, some more then others.

I'm 15, I hope I'm not that immature, but I would agree that 15 year olds are generally immature.

Mmh, as a now 17 year old (just got mah license, shaz-am! keep off the roads :lol:) and a Junior in high school, I seem to notice that MANY of the sophmores and freshmen are just plain rude are extremly immature. Even kids my age or older then me.

But in my opinion, RuneScape was ment to be a hard game, and Jagex advertising on miniclips turned out to be a downfall. Its also been advertised on addictinggames. Its sad, as such a great game now succumed to the [bleep]yness of younger kids who cant do anything themselves.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

In fairness however I must admit that I myself am 15. That aside however I have been playing various accounts for as long as I can remember. Warrior was adopted because, I missed the Jump. However I feel that the community that was has shaped me in many different ways. When In started no one cared how old you were. They just wanted you to play and enjoy the game the community reflected that. Also with the way players talk this days. I am not at a full realization of what Runescape is. Runescape is a giant experience point based, mmorpg that has had the side effect of being turned into a giant chat room.

1. The Ant

2. The Cockroach

3. The Rabbit

4. The Eloi

5. The Mouse

6. The Penguin

7. The Smurfs

So, now that my eyes have stopped bleeding from the massive amount of idiocy in the OP, I can now post.

Seems like eatrunearrow is ranting about things like the wildy.

Sure, I'd like to be able to scam, lure, and RWT again. That would be great.

*stops being sarcastic*

No.

What's wrong with the community anyway? You can just turn public chat off and block 99.9% of the stupid people in RS.

If you are bothered so much by other people, immature and/or stupid or not, you should consider playing a single player game.

Seems like eatrunearrow is ranting about things like the wildy.

You're relatively new, so I'll just throw hesitation out the door: Eatrunearrow, as I'm sure you've deduced, is a huge troll that shows up every now and then to weep about the same two talking points (omg rs wuz so gud b4 u guise got hur) and (bring bak wildee nao!).

Oh and to settle the other argument:

The difference between acting mature and being mature is acting mature is a simple parroting of advice or actions of another. Being mature is being able to actively think and decide for yourself.

For example:

Acting mature is turning off the night light because mom says the boogie man won't come.

Being mature is sleeping with a loaded pistol with the safety off and one eye open, knowing the night light won't help you either way.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The difference between acting mature and being mature is acting mature is a simple parroting of advice or actions of another. Being mature is being able to actively think and decide for yourself.

Yes, and children can actively think and decide for themselves. Not all 10-year-old's will accept a cigarette because they have the ability to take into account that Cancer = Bad. I know a kid who had his own parent offer him a cigarette but he still refused it because he knew about the risks. Who would've known a kid can be more mature than an adult?

Yes, and children can actively think and decide for themselves. Not all 10-year-old's will accept a cigarette because they have the ability to take into account that Cancer = Bad. I know a kid who had his own parent offer him a cigarette but he still refused it because he knew about the risks. Who would've known a kid can be more mature than an adult?

I agree. That would be me you're describing right there.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

• 1 month later...

Now I'm not sure when RuneScape was first advertised on Miniclip, but I started playing 15 days before RS2 came out (for f2p that is). It was March 2004. I was nine and a half years old (presently 15). My brother had gotten me to play; his friends got him to play (Miniclip was big at the time so idk). Being nine years old days before RS2 came out, I got lumped in with the "Miniclip generation." I will tell my story to clear the names of at least some of us. I had watched my brother play this game for about a month and a half. Trying to blow it off as stupid, I became more attracted to it by watching it. I finally decided to make an account, naming it after my favorite cartoon at the time :lol:. The tutorial had something missing from the RS2 tutorial that I vividly remember: the Wilderness section. It was here that I developed my fear of the Wilderness, which I avoided like the plague. I never had to whine or complain about dying there. the RuneScape 2 tutorial was, however, missing that section. I can proudly say that I never bought GP or macroed. I was the dedicated woodcutter competing with the macroers, selling Yews to get my Saradomin Platebody and my Dragon longsword (I picked and spun flax for that actually).

It was in Classic that I learned the "unwritten rules of RuneScape." Classic had a smaller, better community. Macroing, scamming, spot stealing, etc were HEAVILY looked down upon by the community. I often found myself trapping autoers in buldings and making the dwarf south of the mines entrance blocking Icarian Tram. August 3, 2005 - I was devastated. My game had been taken away. Five long, angry rants to JaGEx later, I found myself trying RS2 for the first time ever. Sure, certain features I liked (withdraw X, run, running away, eating during fights, graphics, etc), but the community was terrible. These players broke the unwritten rules and that was new to me. RS2 simply lacked the discipline RSC had. Even a 10 year old learned self-discipline and how to behave maturely in RSC.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I really wanted to get my point across. Thank you if you read it all.

Bottom line...

Not all of us were as bad as you say. I avoided the Wilderness like the plague, I was smart enough to never be successfully scammed, and I NEVER bought GP or macroed.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

It was in Classic that I learned the "unwritten rules of RuneScape." Classic had a smaller, better community. Macroing, scamming, spot stealing, etc were HEAVILY looked down upon by the community.

Yet, there was a lot more scamming and macroing in RSC. And the incidence of spot stealing hasn't changed over the years.

Classic had a smaller, better community.

No pic, no proof.

Ask anyone that played RSC after March 2004.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Even though i am not exactly from the good 'old' days,

---->post<----

2004 may seem like a great year for people,and many more 'mature' people in runescape.

What i wonder is , have people been dwelling the past so much they can't handle the present?

I've often heard of older players that used Runescape, saying ' omfg i want the old days back'.

Anyways what was so great back then quite honestly?

You listed PK/the danger and such, Runescape is still dangerous just not to extent as it was back then.

2009 Runescape has it dangers GWD[THAT WASN't in 2004] , pking , and other sorts of killing machines.

2004 and 2009 runescape have dangers there just different ones.

2004 had Luring,Scamming

2009 doesn't have luring and scamming.

I found luring just a way to take advantage of someone, just to help you progress the game further.

Scamming was just basically the same.

People claim back then was better, but in my honest opinion think are just too blind to see what 2009 has to offer.

2004 had pk.

People need to give 2009 runescape the chance,more so older players the assumption of 2009 is better.

About the Immature players and Mature players, All games have immature players and mature of them. As the community expands, so does both.

It just so happens that some people get surrounded by immature people.

Thus, wanting 2004 runescape to come back.

2009 has more immature and mature people.

How does Kota know?

Well, like i said before it expanded.

People may claim there are mature people and immature people, it's just preference.

You may think this A is immature.

but your friend might thing A is mature.

Lastly, i really think people judge 2009 runescape too quickly, people say runescape sucks right now.

THEN HOW THE HELL DO WE HAVE OVER MILLION USERS!

AND ACTUAL ENJOY THE DAMN GAME!!

Please refer to the Rant topic I made here a while ago.

The sad thing is, I started on Runescape Classic. I own a pair of Bunny Ears, and there are already thousands of players who have achieved higher lvls in half the time that I was around to see the game evolve to where it is today. I guess I'm not that fast at skilling. :cry:

Classic had a smaller, better community.

No pic, no proof.

Ask anyone that played RSC after March 2004.

I smell like rotten cabbage.

I think you mean before March 2004 there, and although It was smaller I (imo) gotta say today has a better community for its variety.

Please refer to the Rant topic I made here a while ago.

The sad thing is, I started on Runescape Classic. I own a pair of Bunny Ears, and there are already thousands of players who have achieved higher lvls in half the time that I was around to see the game evolve to where it is today. I guess I'm not that fast at skilling.

Your not the only one, been since '03 (Lost my RSC Account) on my current account and it hasnt got a 99 or rich etc because i just played at a strolling pace, not caring about some players and their wasted hours grinding their skills and brains out.

Popoto.~<3

I started playing RS at 15 in 2004, five years on I'm now 20, I can tell you now I was as green as grass when I started RS but I kept my respect towards all folk who gave me their respect. That aside the good old days are something that cannot be objectively put into a place in time, the good old days are your own times on the game, the times you enjoyed and cherished, as well as the ones with drama and discord, taking the good with the bad each day and just enjoying what time you had with your friends.

My good old days were with my first proper clan, sure things have changed, the GE has made buying/selling easier, there's more warnings for the younger folk and mayhap for the older folk who forget after a long term of absence? RS has vastly improved from when it was first released and ported from RSC to RS2. Skills being hard and easy shouldn't be dictated by the amount of clicks the system tells you you need to make but the resources you need to get your skills up.

To sum up, I would like to say, do not paint all of us veterans with the same brush, not all of us have the same view as the OP, some of us can change and take stride :thumbsup:

True_Kohyru.png

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

True_kohyru.png