Once a great game. A story/Rant for veteran players.

eatrunearrow

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic had a smaller, better community.

No pic, no proof.

Ask anyone that played RSC after March 2004.

Wrong.

To prove how stupid it is to say this, no pic, no proof ;)

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I've played since 2004 and nooo the community was WORSE at least now there aren't any scammers (well hardly any at any rate)

And imo Runescape classic sucked, people walked too slowly and although Runescapes graphics aren't the best at least they characters don't look like bits of clay stuck together. I don't care if the community was good if the game was boooriiingg

I don't care if the community was good if the game was boooriiingg.
Heh, I think that this sentence could basically end the thread.

We've outgrown RSC, it's just that simple. Since it's impossible to return to "the old days", why not just embrace what we have now? kota21 hit the nail on the head.

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

Nothing stops you from having that "Small community".

Your just ranting because now there more players who take up the space. Also this is a online game with updates, so things change (Adapt or quit). If you care so much about those old days:

1) Track down the players you remember

2) Make a Community forum and make a homeworld

3) Hang out like old days

4) Same thing?

After all its the smart and mature players you cared much about i assume. So why not get in touch with them.

Nothing stops you from having that "Small community".

Your just ranting because now there more players who take up the space. Also this is a online game with updates, so things change (Adapt or quit). If you care so much about those old days:

1) Track down the players you remember

2) Make a Community forum and make a homeworld

3) Hang out like old days

4) Same thing?

After all its the smart and mature players you cared much about i assume. So why not get in touch with them.

Yeah. You said that the community has worsened and become filled with immature people. Why don't you stop stereotyping everyone as "immature" and "stupid". Sure, there will always be immature idiots, but there will always be mature people playing a game. What I can see is you can't adapt to change, so you just want to whine for the sake of whining.

Brought a tear to my eye :( I miss the proper wildy, I miss luring and I miss santa hats being 100k each, why oh why didn't I INVEST!!!!!???? THE HORROR :( In all seriousness however I joined in 2004 and by about 3 days into the game I could scame any new player for everything. The game has developed into a 'nany state' and it sucks. It was better when people learned things the hard way. (And when someone in full sara died at lessers because they were afk yoou could loot them :P )

As for seeing level 25s with 99 hp, I get so annoyed, how dare the little [bleeps]! I work my socks off for years - pure f2p- and then pc scomes along. Okay, so I'm f2p, of course people who pay deserve a better way to level. But oh no, then Jagex Bring in SOUL WARS - it's horrible, It's disgusting, It's where newbs can get 99s in a few months with next to no effort and it pisses me off.

:thumbsup: Hi5 for making the rant :D

Look guys... I absolutely must be a mass baby-seal murderer!

Brought a tear to my eye :( I miss the proper wildy, I miss luring and I miss santa hats being 100k each, why oh why didn't I INVEST!!!!!???? THE HORROR :( In all seriousness however I joined in 2004 and by about 3 days into the game I could scame any new player for everything. The game has developed into a 'nany state' and it sucks. It was better when people learned things the hard way. (And when someone in full sara died at lessers because they were afk yoou could loot them :P )

As for seeing level 25s with 99 hp, I get so annoyed, how dare the little [bleeps]! I work my socks off for years - pure f2p- and then pc scomes along. Okay, so I'm f2p, of course people who pay deserve a better way to level. But oh no, then Jagex Bring in SOUL WARS - it's horrible, It's disgusting, It's where newbs can get 99s in a few months with next to no effort and it pisses me off.

:thumbsup: Hi5 for making the rant :D

SERIOUSLY its called CHANGE. If you can't adapt to it, just quit.

Well, every game changes but no reason to quit over it. I've played since the period of RSC transfer to RS2 and i loved the change. But many others didn't but are still playing to this very day on their RSC accounts!

So your saying because the new HP bar changed and people complain about it that they should quit?

just giving some of my thoughts out there.

nice thread.

- harpz -

Harpz90.png

harpz90.png

total networth is 1.6 billion

Semi-Retired RSC/RS2 player

Well, every game changes but no reason to quit over it. I've played since the period of RSC transfer to RS2 and i loved the change. But many others didn't but are still playing to this very day on their RSC accounts!

So your saying because the new HP bar changed and people complain about it that they should quit?

nice thread.

- harpz -

Regarding the HP bar: Seriously, does it even matter that much? I mean, people are STILL ranting about it to no end, and asking Jagex to "change it back plz omgomg i h8 this is sux im quiting!!!!1!!!!11!!!!".

So much for the government pretense that people over 13 can handle more mature situations and free Internet speech. :wall: Seriously, that's one of the reasons Runescape is supposed to be for 13 and over. Ah well.

Did you ever think that maybe they changed it so it wouldn't look like - actually, I think it actually was - drawn in MS Paint?

My little say on everyone ranting about the new HP bar.

Now, as to the changes before '05, and from summer '06 to summer '07 or '08, I am unaware of those due to having lost my old f2p account. (RIP Kowabunga11)

I can see your (the OP's) point that Jagex has made multiple updates that are highly looked down on by higher leveled and/or veteran players.

But if you think about it, Runescape is still a pretty darn good game.

It still has all the essential elements that it had back in the day - multiple skills, simple but yet complex layout, even a great community (granted, it takes some digging to find, but there are still great player communities out there!).

As to the lack of "COMMON SENSE," you'll find that common sense actually isn't all that common. Jagex realized this as their customer base grew, and thus made sneaky (and somewhat cruel) methods of gaining money against the rules, and helped players out a bit that had a lack of common sense. Remember that a great deal of their customer base is made up of teenagers with maturity the size of the head of a pin.

I do grieve the death of the Wildy, but there's a point where you just get over it and move on. You'll find that the crowds that gathered at the Wildy borders now gather in Falador and Lumbridge on PvP worlds, or actually still in the Wildy on Bounty Worlds.

And the GE did not hurt veteran players or even merchants - they jsut had to learn a new type of merchanting. And scamming someone because they couldn't find an item's price was history, as was waiting for hours in Varrock trying to get someone to buy 400 coal. (If you miss that, then you are the most patient yet persistent person I know or have even heard of.)

And that's my 2 cents on the updates of years past. Ask any questions, I'll answer to the best of my ability. Flame me all you want, but it's not gonna hurt me whatsoever.

a70c7.png

I just reread the OP's post, and.... well..... I don't know what to say. But I'm still gonna say something.

First of all, I will admit that all the younger players that came was partially Jagex's fault for not doing their homework. They should have known Miniclip was more of a children's site.

And yes, children tend to have less common sense than adults. However, Jagex, at the time of the Miniclip ad, saw that they had a prosperous game - a prosperous source of revenue, in the case of member accounts - and wanted to expand it a little bit.

As to disliking the trade & staking limits and loss of the Wildy, which would you have preferred? RWTers continuing to take over Runescape, selling to people (not just little kids!) stupid enough to buy the gold? Would you have preferred to let bots take over any resource gathering spot that would be even slightly profitable, ending up with essentially a Runescape version of an economic crash? Or would you prefer having the trade limit, etc.? These are not rhetorical questions, I want some answers.

Jagex messed up with the Miniclip ad, and the trade limit and Wildy removal were their way of trying to fix it, because apparently, the rules weren't enough.

I do agree that Runescape has become more childish and slightly more cheesy over recent years, but did it occur to you that maybe it wasn't little kiddies asking for the pathetic requirements and cheesy plotlines? After all, I know many people my age who still watch Spongebob, and to me, that's as childish as you can get, short of wearing a diaper and crying all the time. And as for the pathetic requirements, there are 2 probable reasons that I came up with:

1) They're trying to keep newer players in the game, thus raising the player base and eventually gaining more revenue, which they will most likely use for better updates, quests, etc. Remember back when you just got off Tutorial Island? You had to sell some cheap, pathetic stuff before you had enough resources to get the good armor, bars, etc.

2) They simply decided that they wanted to put more time into high-leveled content. After all, the higher levels have seen more of Runescape and of life in general, and so they would want more developed plotlines, more in-depth rewards, etc. and so, they've just been taking a while with high-lvl content because they're trying to make it as epic as possible.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and Runescape is just going down the tubes. "OMGZ LYK EVERY1 IZ QUITING!!!!11!!11!11!!!"

P.S. Yes, I enjoy mocking chatspeak/1337speak/whatever you want to call it. Excuse me for wanting digital text to be in a language that can be read without squinting. :-#

a70c7.png

In all seriousness however I joined in 2004 and by about 3 days into the game I could scame any new player for everything.

So you seriously think that stealing from somebody just because they weren't taught any better is morally acceptable....?

Or was the word "could" the operative word there.

If it was, then the game needed to develop into the way it is, otherwise everyone would quit except the scammers, the veterans, and the people who knew how to avoid being scammed.And these three groups would most likely constantly be at war. Sound like fun?

a70c7.png

I think PieIsEaten has more or less summarised all our arguments against this pointless thread. Great job! :thumbsup:

nice thread.

- harpz -

Every game changes, AND THERE IS NO REASON TO QUIT OVER IT. WRONG. If you don't like a game, stop forcing yourself to play and whine about everything that is wrong with it. Why don't you go and play some other games that allow RWT? I never said they have to quit, I said they should quit IF THEY HATE A PARTICULAR UPDATE SO MUCH. Why force yourself and whine and make everyone unhappy? Seriously.

Nice thread. Correction: FAIL THREAD. Pointless and stupid. I wonder why a mod hasn't removed it.

I think PieIsEaten has more or less summarised all our arguments against this pointless thread. Great job! :thumbsup:

nice thread.

- harpz -

Every game changes, AND THERE IS NO REASON TO QUIT OVER IT. WRONG. If you don't like a game, stop forcing yourself to play and whine about everything that is wrong with it. Why don't you go and play some other games that allow RWT? I never said they have to quit, I said they should quit IF THEY HATE A PARTICULAR UPDATE SO MUCH. Why force yourself and whine and make everyone unhappy? Seriously.

Nice thread. Correction: FAIL THREAD. Pointless and stupid. I wonder why a mod hasn't removed it.

Thanks.

And also, the mods probably haven't gotten rid of it yet because contrary to what we have presented, it is still a legitimate "rant"..... just one that very few people agree with.

a70c7.png

I wonder why a mod hasn't removed it.

Well, the maturity debate was fun, who would want to remove that? ;)

I agree with most of the OP's post..

Everything is dumbed down so much now its not even funny, everyone now-a-days has all 99 combat stats, my little cousin is like 10 years old and has a couple mill on his account. WTF? Runescape turned into AYSO, every noob gets a trophy. What happened to the days when you had to click faster than other players to train on good monsters, and you guys could simply just duel there for the spot? Cant do that now, all you soccer players will complain when other players threaten to duel you..

I dont think the community 'changing' is too big of a deal, although i see where you're coming from. Back in the day you could stake in the big worlds down in lumby or draynor and see similair players all the time, and know whos good. There were always rivalries between the best players. I had a level 40-some player who had enough defense and attack to wield full rune, and i would dress up in iron with an addy weapon and stake people, and switch to full rune when the duel started, and dominate. Today if anything similair happened people would go CRAZY on jagex, any type of actual thinking should be absolutely prohibited, the game should be 100% up front with you and never any suprises. God forbid one of you dumb noobs gets lured out in the wilderness..

you guys are a joke. go back to AYSO.

Trying to make yourself look better than the people that haven't played RSC shows exactly why you should just gtfo.

So far, you're the one complaining about Runescape. And now you want Jagex to make a game that was already obsolete 5 years ago?

Lol.

'whinescape' is a pretty accurate name for the current runescape. jagex should make that as a game, and make another game that was the same as rsc. so we can seperate the AYSOers from the normal people.

I'm getting tired of you blaming your issues with the game on mainly prepubescent soccer players rather than just accepting things as they currently are. Surely you realize it is illogical to pine away, hoping that the past will be your future. Also, do you realize that a "normal person" has no desire to play RuneScape Classic? Only someone reliving their past would ever dream of playing such a sub-par game.

Are you still playing RuneScape? If so, then quit if you're so upset about it, or at least stop whining. If you're not still playing, then you have no excuse for this misplaced bitterness.

Trying to make yourself look better than the people that haven't played RSC shows exactly why you should just gtfo.

So far, you're the one complaining about Runescape. And now you want Jagex to make a game that was already obsolete 5 years ago?

Lol.

Yes, im complaining about runescape. We are in the "rants" forum.

And how was the game in any way 'obsolete'? Just because the game is more popular now doesnt make it better. Is lil wayne a better rapper than Nas? No, not even close, but hes alot more popular.

I guess you cant blame jagex, because they are just in it to make money and thats it, but people like me are gonna complain and [bleep] about it whether care or not, and its probaly the latter.

I agree with most of the OP's post..

Everything is dumbed down so much now its not even funny, everyone now-a-days has all 99 combat stats, my little cousin is like 10 years old and has a couple mill on his account. WTF? Runescape turned into AYSO, every noob gets a trophy. What happened to the days when you had to click faster than other players to train on good monsters, and you guys could simply just duel there for the spot? Cant do that now, all you soccer players will complain when other players threaten to duel you..

I dont think the community 'changing' is too big of a deal, although i see where you're coming from. Back in the day you could stake in the big worlds down in lumby or draynor and see similair players all the time, and know whos good. There were always rivalries between the best players. I had a level 40-some player who had enough defense and attack to wield full rune, and i would dress up in iron with an addy weapon and stake people, and switch to full rune when the duel started, and dominate. Today if anything similair happened people would go CRAZY on jagex, any type of actual thinking should be absolutely prohibited, the game should be 100% up front with you and never any suprises. God forbid one of you dumb noobs gets lured out in the wilderness..

you guys are a joke. go back to AYSO.

FAIL. "Dumbed down"? In your dreams. Runescape has become a game needing more intelligence to play, not a "dumbed down" game. So there are a lot of updates that make it simpler for beginners to start out, but all the quests are becoming much harder to complete, and there's much more things to plan and choose, like in clan wars, fist of guthix, even how you are going to skill, how are you going to train combat, etc. Its not getting "dumbed down". Though I agree that nowadays internet games are all getting "dumbed down" in general. Too many stupid and pointless "shoot the enemy before they shoot you" games. Runescape is far from it.

Seriously, learn to use proper English. There isn't a word "dumbed down" or "suprises", and many other mistakes too.

Why don't you just gtfo. Since you can't adapt to all the changes RS has gone through, just gtfo.

Seriously I need to copy and paste a large picture showing this message.

SINCE YOU CAN'T ADAPT TO CHANGE, GTFO.