More Andrew posts from RSOF (future updates)

Beloved

[hide=Pricecaps on the grandexchange]One thing I'm actively working on doing at the moment is removing some of the grand exchange price caps.

The price caps on the grand exchange were never really meant to be something that was regularly hit, they were meant to be just a failsafe against certain types of price manipulation.

Unfortunately that didn't turn out to be the case and far too many items ended up resting against a price cap. I have to admit that it is pretty poor that we left it like that for so long. It should have been fixed straight away not left for a year.

Anyway I have now woken up, and am working on ways to fix this. Some ideas I'm working on are:

I'm planning on changing the way shops works so that instead of having infinite stock, they have a generous stock per player instead for many items. (not shared between players still). This in turn means we don't need to link the grand exchange price caps to shop prices which should instantly half the number of capped items overnight, which I really think will help. It also means we can fix some of the shop prices back to what the used to be (e.g raw bird meat).

There are a few other tricky price caps which exist not to prevent abuse, but as a rather lazy way of making the economy work correctly. For example many of the low level armours and weapons in the game if not capped would fall to almost worthless, but that would spoil the early the game where the new players are challenged to save up for their first decent armour. I certainly remember fondly the excitement of getting enough cash for my first mithril plate and I don't want to spoil that. I still think it can be fixed properly though by adding new ways of levelling up smithing, or adding in new demands for the surplus armour and weapons. However it is clear that just using price caps to make this work is a rather lazy solution and doesn't give a proper economy. I think we should instead do it properly and tweak the supply and demand rather than artificially capping it. And then let the player controlled economy do its job.

It's obviously a huge job but the aim is to have no capped items. It's not going to happen overnight. But the plan is to track the number of capped items each week and month, and make sure it is continually going down, not up![/hide]

Quick find code: 74-75-453-58679028

[hide=Increased trade limit]In answer to one of the most asked questions of all time.

Yes, we are planning on increasing the trade limit for 'long term friends'. E.g for people who have both been on each others friend list for at least a month the trade limit will be doubled. Something along those lines anyway :)

As with all 'future updates' discussions I cant promise when this will be finished, and bear in mind that it takes a surprisingly long time to develop anything! (programming is time consuming!) But we are working on it, and the fact that I'm talking about it here generally means I'm treating it as a priority. I feel these are the sorts of upgrades the 'year of upgrades' should be about.[/hide]

Quick find code: 74-75-279-58679020

[hide=in game message spam]This post is in response to the feedback that the continual

You catch a shark.

You catch a shark.

You succesfully cook a shark.

You succesfully cook a shark.

etc...

are annoying!

I have to admit I hadn't realised how many people were finding this annoying until a few days ago. But since posting on the forums and talking to people on my clan chat is has been mentioned repeatedly!

Therefore I've raised the priority of fixing this.

I'm planning putting a filter option on the 'game' tab, like on the other chat tabs, which will switch between 'all' and 'important only'.

When in 'important only' it will filter out the repetitive messages which you get over and over again when doing certain skills.

As with all 'future updates' discussions I cant promise when this will be finished, and bear in mind that it takes a surprisingly long time to develop anything! (programming is time consuming!) But we are working on it, and the fact that I'm talking about it here generally means I'm treating it as a priority.

P.S.

If anybody wants to suggest messages they find annoying that should be filtered when 'important only' mode, it would probably save us a bit of time, and make it more likely that the message that is annoying you is one of the ones blocked :)

Conversely if there is particular message which is really important to you that you WOULDN'T want blocked, that is helpful to know also. For example 'you have completed your slayer task' really wouldn't be blocked![/hide]

Quick find code: 74-75-534-58678981

[hide=gravestone and disconnects]In response to the comments that you shouldn't lose your gravestone if you lose connection.

Yes I agree. It has long been one of my main aims that the game should still be playable if your connection is a bit unreliable. I totally agree that you should keep your gravestone.

We are actively working on fixing this now. mod_mike added in support to the server on Thursday that lets the system remember players across logouts. Next the content team needs to use that system to make the gravestones not vanish and keep working.

As with all 'future updates' discussions I cant promise when this will be finished, and bear in mind that it takes a suprisingly long time to develop anything! (programming is time consuming!) But we are working on it, and indeed I'm personally pushing this one through.

Answer to questions lower down

------------------------------

Yes the timer would still count down as normal whilst you were logged off. It just wouldn't immediately jump to 0. (otherwise we would end up with semi permanent gravestones everywhere! The game would look like a graveyard before long!)[/hide]

Quick find code: 74-75-448-58678965

hes been busy today ::'

Lord_Beloved.png

I've read them as well, and wondered why nobody opened a topic about it... imo these replies are more interesting than the mass bannings. He proposes quite a few decent fixes there, and I'd like to see them introduced shortly.

I've read them as well, and wondered why nobody opened a topic about it... imo these replies are more interesting than the mass bannings. He proposes quite a few decent fixes there, and I'd like to see them introduced shortly.

Some of us like deriving pleasure from other people's misery ;)

Hopefully these all come out soon - they are minor fixes, but minor annoyances too. I hope he doesn't spend the whole of this week banning cheaters :|.

th_borningfourmsig-1.png

Currently going for 76 fishing

I was going to make a thread on this, but decided I would throw my laundry in first. Bad choice.

Still, can't wait to see this. I don't have any friends I trade with frequently on Runescape, so the trade limit isn't a worry of mine. Definitely on the in-game messages. I hate how the current system is all or nothing.

As for price caps, this will be interesting. I see a LOT of items hitting 1gp by the end of the year.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Partyhats will rise to incredible prices, crash back down, then stabilize pretty quickly if this happens, As will other current unbuyables such as the 2 top spirit shields.

Either that or they'll just stop trading altogether. The existance of price caps is what allowed junk trading in the first place and their removal is likely to end it.

After this happens, people will either just accept it and trade everything on the GE even if the 'street' prices are much higher/lower than the GE price or they'll just hold onto their items until enough other people trade them via the GE so that the prices get to where people want them.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

I don't have any friends I trade with frequently on Runescape, so the trade limit isn't a worry of mine.

i can say that this is a much wanted update for bosshunting clans, distrubiting supplies will probably be much less of a hassle

Lord_Beloved.png

I love the trade limit idea. When I was playing before the limit, I was quite a newb :oops: and my friend(s) always gave me items to help out. Now when I'm trying to finish a hard boss quest, I can't really help or accept help at all :x so this should be awesome. And the others are plain great too. :shock:

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Follower of Guthix

The quill is a miracle, for it drinks darkness and sheds light.

Oh right, by the way, I'm a girl. No more calling me a guy you lot~

The price of all junk hugging against the price floor, if removed, will stabilize around their (high alch value - cost of nature rune).

Why, you may ask?

If an item falls further than that, trust me on this one - there will be mages everywhere looking to profit.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Glad to see him getting more active in runescape again.

But the main problem with the GE is that noone sells the rare items on the ge and noone buys the junk on the ge making it a frozen item. Unless they manually fix all stuck GE price it won't help us too much. As for price caps they arn't a big problem except on items like blood runes which are lowest at 275 gp and can't go lower.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

[hide=gravestone and disconnects]In response to the comments that you shouldn't lose your gravestone if you lose connection.

Yes I agree. It has long been one of my main aims that the game should still be playable if your connection is a bit unreliable. I totally agree that you should keep your gravestone.

We are actively working on fixing this now. mod_mike added in support to the server on Thursday that lets the system remember players across logouts. Next the content team needs to use that system to make the gravestones not vanish and keep working.

As with all 'future updates' discussions I cant promise when this will be finished, and bear in mind that it takes a suprisingly long time to develop anything! (programming is time consuming!) But we are working on it, and indeed I'm personally pushing this one through.

Answer to questions lower down

------------------------------

Yes the timer would still count down as normal whilst you were logged off. It just wouldn't immediately jump to 0. (otherwise we would end up with semi permanent gravestones everywhere! The game would look like a graveyard before long!)[/hide]

I could've seen a TET event out of that, everyone logging onto their clone accounts and somehow dying with four gp at a populus place in W7 and then just leaving them logged out forever, would have been halarious, especially if everyone was in order.

But i can't wait for the price fixing of low level items, everything is just taken for granted these days.

Also to be honest a month seems pretty low, but alteast it protects against acedentally deleting your friends, and a double limit is pretty cool =D>

1yrb49.jpg

I'm glad about the gravestone/connection change. Once at waterfiends I was being stupid and tried to kill ony last one at 15hp and no food. I died trying to leave via escape log, and got disconnected right after. Needless to say I panicked, sprinted to my grave and managed to get my stuff back in time. But that was an insanely close call.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I'm glad about the gravestone/connection change. Once at waterfiends I was being stupid and tried to kill ony last one at 15hp and no food. I died trying to leave via escape log, and got disconnected right after. Needless to say I panicked, sprinted to my grave and managed to get my stuff back in time. But that was an insanely close call.

Did you not have an extra games necklace?

shouldn't have been a very close call if you did.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

I pretty much like the gravestone logout timer, as I constantly see many people be disconnected and die. Sad thing to see a person die to a mithril dragon because of disconnection and lose his gravestone...

brainiacjr.png

brainiacjr.png 286/326 Quest Points

Did you not have an extra games necklace?

shouldn't have been a very close call if you did.

He dced so he probably couldn't log in for a minute or 2

For the grave, couldn't it show up only when the player is logged on?

Ya, that's how it is now. When you logout (either manually or by disconnection) the grave vanishes, but the items remain for the time the grave would have lasted, or the time the grave was blessed for.

Having the graves stay, even for 60 seconds, after your logout would be a huge help.

The problem with most disconnect deaths is once you die, you log within about 10 seconds or so, which is often not enough time to bless a grave, much less even see that someone has died on your team.

As for the price caps, this can only be a good thing.

The problem with price caps is, when things are the same as a store price, people sometimes don't buy from players, but from stores. Allowing the player price below a store price will encourage players to buy from players, and not stores, draining the supply, and putting up an accurate price.

When the caps are first taken off, prices will go grazy, but after awhile they will settle back to normal. I'm glad that Andrew finally realized that caps do more harm than good, and hope this will make prices adjust much more accurately.

TBH, if all goes well, it might remove many junk items from the game, since they will be a very low value. To low to be useful at anything except selling in general stores. That's the way it worked for years before the trade limits, and I think that's really the best method for getting rid of it from the game. Until we get Bowswords that fire feathered Javelins of course *CoughAndrewReadThat* :anxious:

dawnsigblue-3.png

So, am i reading into this wrong?

People are reading the price cap on GE as being able to allow the item to go up and down more.

Where as im reading it as being able to buy more than the current trade cap, i.e # p 4hrs

X_kaylin_X.png

People are reading the price cap on GE as being able to allow the item to go up and down more.

Where as im reading it as being able to buy more than the current trade cap, i.e # p 4hrs

Same....I'm confused :?

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Same....I'm confused :?

I would assume he is talking about both the price limits, and frequency limits you can purchase items, in his post. At least that was my understanding since he references the price limits as "a few other tricky price caps".

dawnsigblue-3.png

Anyway I have now woken up, and am working on ways to fix this.

So he's been hibernating this whole time :-k

They all look like quite good updates and fixes, I hope they get into the game ASAP

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]