Weightlifting - Your RL STR Lvl :D

Gmesh

dips are when you hold yourself up on 2 handles sticking out and let yourself go down and push yourself back up im not sure about the ring part though..

Ever been to a playground?

The rings are hung down by chains.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see its still a running topic XD been weeks since ive been on here.

I need to work out some more. And I have a problem. My right arm is bigger and ALOT stronger than my left. Suggestions????

Gmeshsig2.jpg

Shout to LowFatMilk for the sig! Doin your body and sig good :lol:

I need to work out some more. And I have a problem. My right arm is bigger and ALOT stronger than my left. Suggestions????

I'm sure you're just thinking that. Happened to me, too.

You must be right-handed, if I'm not mistaken? Because if you are, this is completely normal.

Same problem, as you move up bigger weights it will eventually even out.

I feel you, apparently as a child i used to be left handed but my nanny discouraged it, as a result i began writing with my right hand. But now my left dominated my right in strength. Not with size though, i saw the issue early on, try less bar work and more dumbell work. It works wonders.

To all that suppliment talk, you dont need supps to get hy00ge. By getting 2g's of protien per lb of bodyweight through food, your going to grow far more than with a whey shake. A link for some beginers. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... =116776321 dont waste your money on supps. If theres extra money then go ahead, but dont make it crutial to your lifting efforts.

http://www.vincedelmontefitness.com/console.html Another good website, give it a minute or two to load though.

The only thing I know is I can bench 170...

My real life strenght fails tbh :(

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Stop masturbating. It had to be said

Seriously though, simply try using your left hand in every day tasks such as opening door and picking things up instead of using your right.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

To all that suppliment talk, you dont need supps to get hy00ge. By getting 2g's of protien per lb of bodyweight through food, your going to grow far more than with a whey shake. A link for some beginers. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... =116776321 dont waste your money on supps. If theres extra money then go ahead, but dont make it crutial to your lifting efforts.

Problem is 2g of protein per pound of bodyweight is a huge amount to get naturally, that'd be over 300g a day for me, which about 19 glasses of milk, or 50 eggs, or 6 big steaks. I partially agree with you, in my opinion nearly all supplements are crap that wouldn't be worth if it if they were free (thinking about nitro, cell volumisers and stuff), especially for beginners. But pure whey is a damn good type of protein (which is important) and about as cheap as it gets per gram. I think canned tuna gets close in terms of value but you might not be wanting to eat too much of that (i.e. more than 2 cans a day) because of mercury in it.

The absolute best supplement for a beginner is whole milk, drink pints of it a day and you can't help but put on weight. In other news I've switched to the Bill Starr 5x5 program now, wanted something a little more advanced. Squats every workout now, yay.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Problem is 2g of protein per pound of bodyweight is a huge amount to get naturally, that'd be over 300g a day for me, which about 19 glasses of milk, or 50 eggs, or 6 big steaks. I partially agree with you, in my opinion nearly all supplements are crap that wouldn't be worth if it if they were free (thinking about nitro, cell volumisers and stuff), especially for beginners. But pure whey is a damn good type of protein (which is important) and about as cheap as it gets per gram. I think canned tuna gets close in terms of value but you might not be wanting to eat too much of that (i.e. more than 2 cans a day) because of mercury in it.

The absolute best supplement for a beginner is whole milk, drink pints of it a day and you can't help but put on weight. In other news I've switched to the Bill Starr 5x5 program now, wanted something a little more advanced. Squats every workout now, yay.

Yup, I use whey, but for beginners its always best to eat whole foods. I did that for a year and only then I bough whey, at 60 (and ever increasing) bucks for a 5 pound tub, it burns quite the hole in an 18 year olds wallet :(. Im only eating two cans a day of tuna max. Beans, chicken breast, milk, eggs, and the occasional double cheese are good sources of protien. Its hard to get in what you need a day, but believe me, slowly work up to it, slowly. Dont jump increases in their intake ( you probably know that already). Regardless, If you add in an extra egg every two or three weeeks you wont feel it.

Good job on the 5x5 :D ive never followed a programme and so from next week ive devised my own. Legs and shoulders monday back and bis wednesday legs and chest friday. Cardio on the days in not working out. As for chest, its lagging, but its slowly getting less and less important to have a big chest. Next year im going to uni, and they have platforms there :) so i wanna really get my shoulders legs and back ready for that. Not to mention keep building my base.

Hey guys, I've got a few questions.

1) Would riding a bicycle around my neighborhood for about thirty minutes for three, maybe four times a week be considered adequate cardio?

2) Do any of you guys know of a good workout routine that involves only freeweights?

3) What would you recommend for a good post-workout meal? I've read a bit about it and from what I've seen, the easiest thing to do is make a small whey protein shake, but I'm not sure about that.

Also, this is a bit random, but I've noticed that, in general, my movement seems to be a bit stiff. I don't know how to explain it very well, but for example, whenever I play my guitar standing up, my movement doesn't seem very 'fluid'. I realize this is a rather ambiguous question, but do you guys know of any way to fix this?

Also keep in mind my weight's pretty fine, I've got a bmi of 23, but my goal is to burn the body fat and replace it with lean muscle.

wl7w9j.png

1) Would riding a bicycle around my neighborhood for about thirty minutes for three, maybe four times a week be considered adequate cardio?

The quality of cardio depends on the intensity. When your lungs are gasping for air you've got the intensity about right, and you want to maintain that for about 20 minutes. IMO, bike riding is excellent cardio because it's easy to vary the intensity. Jogging is vastly overrated, hill sprints or interval sprint training (run 100m, walk 100m, run 100m...etc.) is much much better for your cardio and building explosive power. The problem with long distance anything being done too regularly for weight lifters is that you run the risk of breaking down muscle for energy once your other energy stores are used up. Just look at marathon runners, they look sickly. So to answer your question as long as the intensity is good bike riding is excellent.

2) Do any of you guys know of a good workout routine that involves only freeweights?

Hell yes, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a good place to start (http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5- ... g-program/). Both are similar, the Starting Strength routine is more widely known but I can't see anything wrong with stronglifts.

3) What would you recommend for a good post-workout meal? I've read a bit about it and from what I've seen, the easiest thing to do is make a small whey protein shake, but I'm not sure about that.

Personally I have a whey shake mixed with semi-skimmed milk, a banana and some raisins. I think the complexity of the PWO meal can be overstated, as long as you have a quickly absorbed protein source (i.e. mixed whey) and some fairly quick release carbs you should be okay. A lot of people put oats in their shakes, but this makes me gag. And a lot of people mix their shake with water to improve speed of absorption but I'm not a fan of this.

Also, this is a bit random, but I've noticed that, in general, my movement seems to be a bit stiff. I don't know how to explain it very well, but for example, whenever I play my guitar standing up, my movement doesn't seem very 'fluid'. I realize this is a rather ambiguous question, but do you guys know of any way to fix this?

Hard to comment on really. Sounds off the wall but that's the kind of thing dance classes seem to target.

Also keep in mind my weight's pretty fine, I've got a bmi of 23, but my goal is to burn the body fat and replace it with lean muscle.

Just a final note, if this is your goal you may be interested in http://www.crossfit.com/, it's a program designed for what's called General Physical Preparedness. It works cardio into strength training. If you can do their Workout of the Day's (posted on the main site) regularly your fitness will be pretty elite.

I don't do weighlifting, But i do do chin ups :P

I weigh 9 stone ish and I can do around 50 Chin Ups in one go, Have a 5 min break do another 50 etc, Until i get to the 500 mark and thats me done. :D

dzuz3d.jpg

I love weightlifting! I go down to the gym 4 times a week and workout seperate muscle groups for around an hour. I try and do a 15 minute warm-up which usually involves running or the cross trainer.

I'm only a little lad, measuring at 5 foot 7 inches. I'm not too sure if my upper body strength is good or not but I can bench press 80kg which is around 176lbs. I can leg press 200kg around 10 times.

libertherme.png

I'm a real slow burner in excercise. I'm not after quick muscle, i'd rather get it slowly over time. I've been using some dumbells for about a half a year now, started off at 3kg (was first ons i'd ever had gime a break :D ), went up to 4.5kg a short while ago, and now i've gone up to 6kg. I can really feel it after about 25 lifts on the 6kg, i like to upgrade when i can muster up about 40-50 lifts fairly easily. Going back to the 3kg, i can feel how much stronger i've gotten, i can't see much in my arms, but thats jsut because they've grown slowly (i had very skinny arms when i started)

Doing some cycling to help a freind work out over the summer when he's back from uni, he's doing some mini-marathon later in the year, so hopefully he can get me into a bit better shape.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Danqazmlp, are you a girl? Honest question; I see women lifting those weights at the gym all the time. It's just, you're not going to see any results with that. And I don't mean in ths short term, I mean ever.

I don't do weighlifting, But i do do chin ups

I weigh 9 stone ish and I can do around 50 Chin Ups in one go, Have a 5 min break do another 50 etc, Until i get to the 500 mark and thats me done.

You know those times where you want to say simply "No.," or maybe just straight call bulls**t, but then you think for a second and realize that's just creating a false dilemna?

This is one of those times.

I love weightlifting! I go down to the gym 4 times a week and workout seperate muscle groups for around an hour. I try and do a 15 minute warm-up which usually involves running or the cross trainer.

I'm only a little lad, measuring at 5 foot 7 inches. I'm not too sure if my upper body strength is good or not but I can bench press 80kg which is around 176lbs. I can leg press 200kg around 10 times.

Nice :thumbup: . Keep working on them legs :).

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

No matter how much I work out my legs (which is quite a bit), they still look like chicken legs. My calves jut out like I injected myself with a shin-pad and my thighs are still skinny, even though I can really feel the muscle in them. My legs are probably a lot bigger than they were 6 months ago, but relative to other guy's legs, they're awfully scrawny :oops:

Also, 50 chin ups? I consider myself above-average in upper-body strength and I have trouble doing 10.

hiccup.png

No matter how much I work out my legs (which is quite a bit), they still look like chicken legs. My calves jut out like I injected myself with a shin-pad and my thighs are still skinny, even though I can really feel the muscle in them. My legs are probably a lot bigger than they were 6 months ago, but relative to other guy's legs, they're awfully scrawny :oops:

Also, 50 chin ups? I consider myself above-average in upper-body strength and I have trouble doing 10.

Honestly dude, as long as your making progress, pat yourself on the back. Just keep pushing the weights, even the days when you dont want to.

Yeah chin ups are not my strong point either, im a fairly above average guy too. Meh, never really seen why i should do them. :lol:

My real life strength level is probably around a 3.

I don't do any weightlifting. All of my muscle comes from working in a factory. I don't know what my limit is, but I know I can lift 15kg (~33lb) boxes or 25kg (~55lb) pallets if needed to. That's all that matters to me.

Yeah chin ups are not my strong point either, im a fairly above average guy too. Meh, never really seen why i should do them.

I haven't really ever tried chin-ups, but push-ups aren't my strong point. I can barely do 1, let alone the 70 people in my gym classes would do in a minute or less.

The quality of cardio depends on the intensity. When your lungs are gasping for air you've got the intensity about right, and you want to maintain that for about 20 minutes. IMO, bike riding is excellent cardio because it's easy to vary the intensity. Jogging is vastly overrated, hill sprints or interval sprint training (run 100m, walk 100m, run 100m...etc.) is much much better for your cardio and building explosive power. The problem with long distance anything being done too regularly for weight lifters is that you run the risk of breaking down muscle for energy once your other energy stores are used up. Just look at marathon runners, they look sickly. So to answer your question as long as the intensity is good bike riding is excellent.

Alright. How important is the time of day when I do cardio? I'll try to do it as soon as I can in the morning, but some days that might not be possible.

Hell yes, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a good place to start (http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5- ... g-program/). Both are similar, the Starting Strength routine is more widely known but I can't see anything wrong with stronglifts.

That Starting Strength one looks quite fun, I'm definitely starting it once I get back from my vacation :D

Personally I have a whey shake mixed with semi-skimmed milk, a banana and some raisins. I think the complexity of the PWO meal can be overstated, as long as you have a quickly absorbed protein source (i.e. mixed whey) and some fairly quick release carbs you should be okay. A lot of people put oats in their shakes, but this makes me gag. And a lot of people mix their shake with water to improve speed of absorption but I'm not a fan of this.

Alright cool, that sounds pretty delicious actually! I might add oats to mine though, I think they taste pretty good :P

Hard to comment on really. Sounds off the wall but that's the kind of thing dance classes seem to target.

Heh yeah, I'm afraid dance class or something like that is really my only option. Not going to happen :lol:

Just a final note, if this is your goal you may be interested in http://www.crossfit.com/, it's a program designed for what's called General Physical Preparedness. It works cardio into strength training. If you can do their Workout of the Day's (posted on the main site) regularly your fitness will be pretty elite.

That looks pretty fun too, but I think I'll stick with the Starting Strength and bicycling for now.

Also, assuming that I'm doing strength training sundays, tuesdays, and thursdays, when should I do cardio? Monday/wendesday/friday, or should I do them both on the same day?

wl7w9j.png

Try squats, they do wonders for your lower body (and core to a degree), especially your thighs. I started doing squats last year, and I was doing something like 180 lbs to start. Last time I did 'em (at the gym at my university) I was doing 275, and the physical results aren't bad either.

And ya, I don't really get the chin up thing. Only as of recent have I been at my best upper-body muscle to total-weight ratio*, and I'm lucky to get near twenty before I even start working out. Either he's thinking of a different exercise (one that seems amazingly slow and inefficient, mind you), really bad at knowing the upper limits of a lie, or terrible at making a joke subtle yet noticeable.

*For some reason this [bleep]es for males when they're around fourth-fifth grade. I was a scrawny little kid back then (who am I kiddin', still am), and I was doing fifteen chin ups in a row with literally muscle to speak of, and I was far from the only one doin' that.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

@fastortoise, if you want bigger legs as Reb said squat more, and squat deep. Simple. There is no better exercise for your legs. As "machines" go the leg press is okay, but keep away from the leg extension. And eat more, you don't get bigger physically unless you have caloric excess.

Alright. How important is the time of day when I do cardio? I'll try to do it as soon as I can in the morning, but some days that might not be possible.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think that it would matter too much. Whenever works for you and whenever you feel good. My dad used to get up every day at 6 to go out on his bike but I could never do that, before lunch suits me better or afternoon.

Alright cool, that sounds pretty delicious actually! I might add oats to mine though, I think they taste pretty good :P

Each to their own, I tried it I swear, but feeling the lumps go down my throat just made me feel ill. :P Also, adding honey to your shake (a spoonful) is supposed to be good.

Also, assuming that I'm doing strength training sundays, tuesdays, and thursdays, when should I do cardio? Monday/wendesday/friday, or should I do them both on the same day?

This really depends on how you feel. The thing is, starting strength is a lot of squatting and some people can't take that kind of intensity on it's own let alone with leg based cardio in there. Others don't have a problem with it. So if I were you I'd start starting strength, add in a cardio workout maybe once a week (maybe on the saturday when you've had a rest day) and then add more as you require and feel able to do. I'll be honest and say I don't have much experience in this area, I recommended Crossfit because it works cardio into your strength training but because my goals right now is to put on a bit of weight my cardio isn't my concern. But if you do cardio before your workout your legs will probably be too tired to squat well. And if you do it after your legs won't get the chance to rest. So i'd be inclined to insert it on the days in between. But you might get a better feel for this once you start than I have.

@fastortoise, if you want bigger legs as Reb said squat more, and squat deep. Simple. There is no better exercise for your legs. As "machines" go the leg press is okay, but keep away from the leg extension. And eat more, you don't get bigger physically unless you have caloric excess.

I'm pretty sure I've been doing squats at the gym all this time (I'm not being sarcastic.. I'm seriously ignorant when it comes to machine names). One machine I use is a slant (around 45 degrees) which I can add weights to that push down on my shoulders, and I do simple squats (if they're still considered squats). Another is pretty much the opposite - I push weights up away from my body not to get crushed. I also use 2 other machines, one for calves and one for the muscle behind my thighs.

I think my problem is that I'm scared to crank up the weight, since I really don't want knee problems. I know when I first started doing them my knees were killing me, but thinking back I now realize my whole body was killing me, and yet I did not discontinue upper body exercises. You guys have inspired me, I'll squat something heavy tonight :thumbup:

Also, eating more was taken seriously before I even started training. I'm already scrawny, and I thought if I lost a single pound I'd turn to bones and die :lol: . If I remember correctly, I shed a few pounds for the first month but I've been gaining some ever since, which is the most rewarding part for me.

hiccup.png