The Running Thread

noble_aloof

Check out the shoes I just bought and am now transitioning to:

Vibram Five fingers

vibram_kso_blue-camo300.jpg

I'm an XC/distance track runner at a "small" D1 college myself, but i hadn't really progressed anywhere from last summer to now even though I was never injured. So I was looking around, and did a lot of reading on "minimalism," or running as close to barefoot as possible to utilize the proper mechanics of the foot. The first time I ran in them, I just went a mile. My form was vastly different (if you don't quickly change your form, it hurts), and I noticed it. I came through that mile in ~5:40, and it felt like a 6:30 jog. I jogged 4 miles in them the next day, and now my calves hurt like hell since all these new muscles are adjusting lol.

They're also supposed to lessen the risk of injury, shockingly enough lol. The cushioning in normal shoes (which is actually a relatively new innovation) causes a runner to heelstrike, which places undo stress on your shins, knees, lower back, etc. And when the cushioning wears off (it's hard to tell when this occurs), striking on your heel causes shin splints, stress fractures, and the like. These shoes force you to run the way to foot was supposed to run - landing on your midfoot and having your heel come up to your butt

yea, so i highly recommend them if you can toughen yourself through the transition phase (take it slowly)

knightsoforderse9.png

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vibram Five fingers

I'm an XC/distance track runner at a "small" D1 college myself, but i hadn't really progressed anywhere from last summer to now even though I was never injured. So I was looking around, and did a lot of reading on "minimalism," or running as close to barefoot as possible to utilize the proper mechanics of the foot. The first time I ran in them, I just went a mile. My form was vastly different (if you don't quickly change your form, it hurts), and I noticed it. I came through that mile in ~5:40, and it felt like a 6:30 jog. I jogged 4 miles in them the next day, and now my calves hurt like hell since all these new muscles are adjusting lol.

They're also supposed to lessen the risk of injury, shockingly enough lol. The cushioning in normal shoes (which is actually a relatively new innovation) causes a runner to heelstrike, which places undo stress on your shins, knees, lower back, etc. And when the cushioning wears off (it's hard to tell when this occurs), striking on your heel causes shin splints, stress fractures, and the like. These shoes force you to run the way to foot was supposed to run - landing on your midfoot and having your heel come up to your butt

yea, so i highly recommend them if you can toughen yourself through the transition phase (take it slowly)

Whoa I want some. Did you have to order them online?

Vibram Five fingers

are they expensive and can i use them in a meet?

They sell them in retail stores (check the vibram five finger website for a store locator), but it's cheaper to get them online. They cost $80, give or take depending on the kind you go with (get the KSO's; I'll also be buying the "Flow" for the winter as those have thermal type material).

As for wearing them in a meet, I don't see why not really (unless this is a track meet, and the track is like concrete). However, i can't overemphasize the fact that they take a long time to get into because you need to give your muscles time to adapt and your bones time to get stronger (thus, nutrition is, as always, very important here). I spent a week just walking around in them before I ever attempted to run. Even the muscles inbetween your toes are going to hurt since they are being separated for the first time in your life lol. Another thing is that you need a really good fit or you might end up dealing with blisters (this is why I recommend buying them in a store if there's one near you)

Today I did a 4 mile tempo on a golf course though and averaged 5:18s and my stride felt so efficient and easy. I can't wait to start hitting the trails with the team to get some real quality miles in this summer

If you're concerned about the cost, realize that these don't rely on cushioning that makes up for the way the shoe changes your biomechanics so you would be able to run in them until they literally fall apart. You just can't jump into them right away

knightsoforderse9.png

Vibram Five fingers

are they expensive and can i use them in a meet?

They sell them in retail stores (check the vibram five finger website for a store locator), but it's cheaper to get them online. They cost $80, give or take depending on the kind you go with (get the KSO's; I'll also be buying the "Flow" for the winter as those have thermal type material).

As for wearing them in a meet, I don't see why not really (unless this is a track meet, and the track is like concrete). However, i can't overemphasize the fact that they take a long time to get into because you need to give your muscles time to adapt and your bones time to get stronger (thus, nutrition is, as always, very important here). I spent a week just walking around in them before I ever attempted to run. Even the muscles inbetween your toes are going to hurt since they are being separated for the first time in your life lol. Another thing is that you need a really good fit or you might end up dealing with blisters (this is why I recommend buying them in a store if there's one near you)

Today I did a 4 mile tempo on a golf course though and averaged 5:18s and my stride felt so efficient and easy. I can't wait to start hitting the trails with the team to get some real quality miles in this summer

If you're concerned about the cost, realize that these don't rely on cushioning that makes up for the way the shoe changes your biomechanics so you would be able to run in them until they literally fall apart. You just can't jump into them right away

i'm quite blown away by these. they look like they're from one of those "too good to be true" ads. i might actually consider picking up a pair, however a broken toe from over a year ago may affect my performance. for $80 my parents would love to buy me these.. for sure a possibility

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Anyone have anything I can do to train hurdle jumping?

I currently work out in a body-building type routine at my gym, but I'm trying to gain some speed and overall agility. At the moment I can hurdle (realized I have bad form) anything belly button height (I've done rib cage height but cannot do it consistently).

I'm not on a team or anything, this is just for me. I have no supplies other than average household items.

I'm 5'10" at 170.

645th to 99 Agility.

I'm always up for a good chat, feel free to pm.

O.k I am going to try to ask my parents to loan me some money to get these shoes before Craws Country. I have like $50 on my own, I'll just tell them these are like sex and I have to have them to be healthier and faster.

Katsuro0, you say you've done mile runs, have you tried sprinting in them going full? Like in track could I do a 400 in them? Speaking of track, are they durable enough to be used on a track?

This is intense.

O.k I am going to try to ask my parents to loan me some money to get these shoes before Craws Country. I have like $50 on my own, I'll just tell them these are like sex and I have to have them to be healthier and faster.

Katsuro0, you say you've done mile runs, have you tried sprinting in them going full? Like in track could I do a 400 in them? Speaking of track, are they durable enough to be used on a track?

This is intense.

Well I haven't done any speed work in them yet since I'm still getting into them and i'm in base phase atm, but I don't see why not (if you have a decent track). They're very similar to racing flats except more goofy looking and emulates the foot a lot more

also, a picture on their website, they show a guy sprinting all out in them lol

knightsoforderse9.png

I currently work out in a body-building type routine at my gym, but I'm trying to gain some speed and overall agility. At the moment I can hurdle (realized I have bad form) anything belly button height (I've done rib cage height but cannot do it consistently).

I'm not on a team or anything, this is just for me. I have no supplies other than average household items.

I'm 5'10" at 170.

All I can say is stay in shape till you can actually get a coach for hurdles and use some hurdles. Possible sprints to work on the speed.

If you want to do hurdles, just join track and field. Most people here would say you would love the sport.

I'm 5'10" at 170.

well, first off you should make sure that you are in-shape enough to run a mile or two at a decent pace. i say this because 5'10'' at 170 (to someone of my weight) seems like you might be slightly out of shape. i re-read and realized that you said you are a body builder, which explains your weight.

i trained a little with the hurdlers/sprinters.. heres some cool stuff to do:

1. ladders. you know, football players use them for footwork. as a hurdler, steering and control over your steps can be very helpful. buying a ladder is probably less than $10. we would run maybe a 15 meter ladder in X amount of time. i found this to be very helpful (even as a distance and 400 runner)

2. learn to relax your shoulders and always keep your feet straight. this happens to all runners. especially when you are jumping, your shoulders and feet play a big part in your performance. always be conscience of your foot angle. it should always be as straight as possible. often hurdlers will twist their foot a little before jumping- its a bad habit. as far as your shoulders go- make sure they are always relaxed and that you stretch them good.

3. practice your steps and strides. start to get a method down. make sure you always stretch your range of motion before practicing

i'm not sure what else you can use for hurdle practice. even "practice" hurdles cost a ton of money.

ps- as far as shoes go, i'd dish out at least $90.. you need good padding because all that jumping will kill your knees and shins. its also important to make sure you aren't heel-striking upon landing. OUCH

edit- i talked to one of my friends that does hurdles. i'm not sure how serious he was being but he said jump roping really helps.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

quite honestly, if i was a hurdler this would be my shoe:

http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240013278&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001544&PARENT_CATEGORY_ID=250001538

or this

http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/0/B02713CEDA9780708525752F0052BAEF?opendocument&div=Running&cat=footwear-mens

i'd start off with this shoe though, until i nearly eliminated heel striking (i'd say this is a beginners shoe):

http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240012235&TITLE_CATEGORY_ID=250001543&PARENT_CATEGORY_ID=250001538

does anybody have any suggestions for a new shoe for next cross country season? i'm alright with asics but i'm hearing great things about the mizuno wave. let me know.

You could buy Asic again. But those minzuno shoes look great.

My coach recommended I buy some [bleep]es from Cross country.

That's makes me want to know:

Cross country [bleep]es worth it?

You could buy Asic again. But those minzuno shoes look great.

My coach recommended I buy some [bleep]es from Cross country.

That's makes me want to know:

Cross country [bleep]es worth it?

yes, they are. i'd recommend not getting nike [bleep]es because nike ALWAYS puts a [bleep]e under the ball of the foot which makes running on hard ground extremely painful. you could put a stud there, but nike's often only have 4 [bleep]es

my [bleep]es for next xc season (a little expensive)

http://www.saucony.com/ShoeDetails.aspx?gen=m&use=Race&id=1144&rel=1110,1115,1083,1128,1086,1093,1089,1116,1090,1144,1142

[bleep]e configuration: stud under the ball of the foot. i have heard of people putting a shorter track [bleep]e under the pinky toe, i am not sure why.

my [bleep]es from last year:

http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?sitesrc=uslp&country=US&lang_locale=en_US#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-186614/pgid-186615

config: studs under ball of the foot

-honestly i kind of liked these shoes. very responsive and lightweight but i feld like i could have gotten more bang out of them.

I need some new training flats for this summer; I'll be running at least 8 miles a day for cross country. I currently have the Brooks Defyance, which are pretty comfortable. Any other good suggestions?

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

^ hmm i'm not sure.

i ran 1.85 miles today in 14:26. why do i run so [cabbage]ty when i'm alone? somewhat embaressed by this time..

i ran 2.5miles today in 20:00.............

i'm obviously doing something wrong.

Out of Shape I see...

Once some one from my family gets home i'm going to do a bit of running :thumbup:

Cross Country is only 2 months (ish) away <3:<3:

Did a 3 mile run in 18 minutes...then again...it was flat land...

Out of Shape I see...

Once some one from my family gets home i'm going to do a bit of running :thumbup:

damnit i took three and a half weeks off. i just need to work on my form i found that i really wasn't out of breath at all last time i ran.

Out of Shape I see...

damnit i took three and a half weeks off. i just need to work on my form i found that i really wasn't out of breath at all last time i ran.

Once you get that sore feeling after you run, you obviously know you out of shape...

Sad thing is...I feel that sore feeling *Feels fat now*

phew its hot today! i ran the same 2.5 mile course in 19:13. it felt so natural, i'm getting back in shape

I need to start running more to say in shape, I know I am a little (Possibly more) out of shape...

I need to get new Asic's for running <_<

I need to get new Asic's for running <_<

<3:

^^ allof, it seems your times change a lot ;)

it definitely has to do with you being in better shape :thumbup:

but don't worry if you have a few off time runs, sometimes you just have those bad days when you feel odd when you run (or at least i have those every once in a while) :wall:

OT: ran 3 miles in 20:21 on my first run of the summer...hopefully by the time school starts i can improve that a lot ::'

(840th To 99 Farm. Achieved on February 13th, 2008.) (2942th To 99 Crafting. Achieved on September 9th, 2008.)

(23671th To 99 Magic. Achieved on January 17th, 2009.) (46913th to 99 Hit Points. Achieved on March 20th, 2009.)

(30680th to 99 Range. Achieved on March 21st, 2009.) (66351th to 99 Attack. Achieved on July 8th, 2009.)

(2856th to 99 Herblore. Achieved on August 21st, 2009.) (45985th to 99 Woodcutting. Achieved on November 15th, 2009.)

(6119th to 99 Smithing. Achieved on December 24th, 2009.) (98100th to 99 Cooking. Achieved on January 1st, 2010.)

(63214th to 99 Defence. Achieved on January 30th, 2010.) (122697th to 99 Strength. Achieved on February 11th, 2010.)

(15249th to 99 Prayer. Achieved on March 21st, 2010.) (34209th to 99 Fishing. Achieved on July 7th, 2010.)

(9259th to 99 Summoning. Achieved on July 29th, 2010.) (51712th to 99 Firemaking. Achieved on September 6th, 2010.)

(109036th to 99 Fletching. Achieved on September 28th, 2010.) (15821th to 99 Slayer. Achieved on February 3rd, 2011.)

(11652th to 99 Construction. Achieved on June 18th, 2011.)

^^ allof, it seems your times change a lot ;)

it definitely has to do with you being in better shape :thumbup:

but don't worry if you have a few off time runs, sometimes you just have those bad days when you feel odd when you run (or at least i have those every once in a while) :wall:

OT: ran 3 miles in 20:21 on my first run of the summer...hopefully by the time school starts i can improve that a lot ::'

yeah i worked on my stride and improved 47 seconds by the next run :D

- i ran 2.5 today in 19:12(well on sunday), so it looks like i found my comfortable time for 2.5 without tapping my adrenaline.

i'm going to run 2.5 again tomorrow, take tuesday off, then start 3mi a day on wensday, possibly add some more hills and a little more shade :thumbup:

carry on.