The Running Thread

noble_aloof

Running is a waste of time unless you're in a sport. If you're doing it for weight loss, you could burn almost the same amount of calories per mile walking at a brisk pace than running. Cycling also burns nearly as many.

Everyone on this thread either does Cross Country or Track I think. Mostly if not all, and Yes, they are sports. :thumbup:

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree, I used to be in XC when I was in high school. Just saying that although people think because it's so taxing on the respiratory system and that you get very fatigued from it, that it burns (a lot) more calories than walking or biking. They should read up on it more :)

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

No one answered, does division2 have obese kids who are slow in 800? (2:40+)

Division 2 Is a bit slower...Not by much I think. I would think that the Times would be a 10 second increase. I think they would be running 2:30's maybe...not sure...

No one answered, does division2 have obese kids who are slow in 800? (2:40+)

Division 2 Is a bit slower...Not by much I think. I would think that the Times would be a 10 second increase. I think they would be running 2:30's maybe...not sure...

If that's true that's a huge difference and you made me feel a whole lot better. :thumbsup:

If it's not true....well false hope is better then no hope I guess....? -.-

And hey when we were division 1 we ran against some D2 teams, so this year if we go to D2 hopefully we can run against some Division 3 teams. Now THEY oughta be slow.

The fastest in my League only run I think run like. 2:00's and 2:10. I really can't remember.

The Fastest miler's in our league can only do 4:30-4:40's I think.

You'll likely beat who ever you run against...

Just had my first real test session to try and get back into the 1's from injury.

shuttle run - 14.3 (I *know* I can beat that)

standing vertical jump - 75cm (I feel I could do better)

Agility course - DNF (rolled my ankle first turn)

running vertical jump - 98cm (Straight after agility test, ankle injury)

20m - 2.95 seconds (terrible, I was getting 2.7s the week leading up to it)

3km tt - 10:55 (Quite happy as I rolled my ankle end of day 1)

Handball results: (A moving bullseye 10 metres away)

RH - 50pts (100% :D )

LH - 48pts.( Hit the edge of the hole first handball)

Kicking: (10 kicks spread across the field, 5 standing start and 5 on the run)

Outside 50 - 4 goals, 5 behinds, 1 out (very happy!)

Inside 50 - 5 goals, 3 behinds, 2 out (the 2 out on the fulls were directly in front)

Overall I'm pretty happy with my results. Now that I'm running again my ball skills and my jump/20m times will get worse, but that's okay. Good enough to be given the OK by the doc, but I doubt I'll get selected as I haven't played a match in roughly 11 weeks.

SoLawny.png

Starting to Gte back into shape, Running 3 Times a week now, Hoping to make it 4-5 Times a week before Cross Country Season Begins...

hey everyone! sorry i haven't been on much lately.

a recap of the past month:

I've basically been doing 30+ mile weeks and trying to stick to anywhere between an 8 and 8:30 pace.

my birthday was on july 24th and (besides getting an xbox 360) i got a really nice pair of asics gel nimbus 11, and since then, all traces of my previous injuries have vanished :thumbup:

a teammate and i also decided to run an 8k (5.1mi) 'country' race to see how our training has been going. there were quite a few hills in the course but the weather was perfect. i finished first for my age-group (14-15) with a time of 38:08. i finished about 6 seconds behind my teammate (who was running the 16-17 age-group) and i was afraid to pass him in the last 400 meters because he was vomiting like mad :-# i met a lot of cool runners, and for my first race, i'd say i did pretty good.

at night for the past month i've also been working out a bit. i'm doing pushups, crunches, bicycles, cobra pushups, bridges, etc and i can feel a huge difference in my upper body, core, back, and hips. i even have a slightly toned 6-pack :D

practice for XC starts on monday and i'm really looking forward to it. my longest run so far this summer was today.. i ran 7 miles in about 80 degree weather. my pace was about 8:45, but i'm fine with it.

thank you everybody for posting- and if i am forced to take a leave from the forums (which will probably happen once school starts) i will give the thread to someone who can manage it better than i can, but for the rest of the summer i think i should be able to manage.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

I know this is off topic but, noble_aloof, I feel like your signature is directed at me. :uhh:

If you've got any problems with that man I'd be happy to settle it with some good ol' face smackin'.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

Never have done x-country before, just had my first practice today. It's a damn fine sport. :thumbup:

Probably the hardest sport out there due to the mileage that is needed for it.

Can't wait for Cross Country, I'm so ready for it...

Probably not...

Never have done x-country before, just had my first practice today. It's a damn fine sport. :thumbup:

Probably not...

Soccer is harder, it is cross country with a ball.But yeah XC is probably the hardest mental sport.

And I looked at my scedule and oh my god there are 2 meets in 3 days. What. The. [bleep]ing.Hell?

Probably not...

Soccer is harder, it is cross country with a ball.But yeah XC is probably the hardest mental sport.

And I looked at my scedule and oh my god there are 2 meets in 3 days. What. The. [bleep].Hell?

Ouch, I remember Track season We had a regular season meet On Thursday, then a Invitational Meet of Saturday...oh the pain from that...

I've never understood the fun in cross-country. I ran it for a few years for my school, then realized I wasn't actually enjoying myself. The only pure-running event I've ever found really fun was 4x100m relay.

jjroxlu7.jpg

Probably not...

And I looked at my scedule and oh my god there are 2 meets in 3 days. What. The. [bleep].Hell?

Lacrosse is xc with a stick and a ball, plus they're allowed to hit you.

Well, you get breaks in that sport...And tat only certain positions...

We shall create a new sport, it shall include knives, sprinting for long distances, and throwing said knives into small holes from adinstance, all stationed on a pressure-sensitive robotic platform that requires the players to tap out answers with their feet to sudoku puzzles using Morse code. As players of this sport, we shall hold our superior chins up high and laugh at any athlete who does not partake in this true sport.

Please people...

You just can't label a sport harder than another sport. Some people may consider golf to but a much harder sport than competitive knife dodging. Even if you can say it is physically more demanding, who gives a crap? No really, what are you trying to prove? Do you really think that people go into sports based on how hard they know it will be? No, most of the time they do the sport because they enjoy doing it.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

Probably not...

Lacrosse is xc with a stick and a ball, plus they're allowed to hit you.

I can not praise nor diss Lacrosse, my school doesn't have it and I have never played. But Cross Country IS harder then a lot of sports, you're out there by yourself in a long [wagon] race. With no team support.

ello, i had my first practice yesterday and it seemed as if i was about the #2 sophomore runner. we were told to run two miles, then another two miles. several people broke down around mile 3 but i was still doing pretty good. there are a few new sophomores who are pretty cool, one claims to be training for a tri, so he should make interesting competition.

there were also about 15 freshmen who came out for the team, i'm glad to see there is still a lot of interest in the sport compared to football(which steals several good runners because they would rather have the status). we have a new head coach and three assistant coaches, all of whom are young and are extremely helpful.

how is everyone else's team looking for this year?

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Cross country starts on the 12th for me, still one week to go. I'm going to be a Freshman and I know my school has a pretty small team. Most people either do football or nothing at all, I was being forced to join Football myself because i'm 6'1 and because of my body structure. Football just isn't my thing, it seems pretty boring :?

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Cross country starts on the 12th for me, still one week to go. I'm going to be a Freshman and I know my school has a pretty small team. Most people either do football or nothing at all, I was being forced to join Football myself because i'm 6'1 and because of my body structure. Football just isn't my thing, it seems pretty boring :?

I honestly can't think of a more boring sport than x-country :shock:

jjroxlu7.jpg

You probably don't enjoy it then... :?

Then again, I find baseball boring sometimes...

It is very simple, yes. I just like the challenge, pushing myself to get a better time. I also don't have to depend too much on the coaches or my teammates to do well. I love basketball, but I hate losing games because of my coaches' and teammates' stupidity. I also like running for it is easy to practice alone, its kinda hard to get better at football when playing by yourself. Playing basketball by oneself gets boring as well...

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Ran a bit today, Little less than 2 miles...

Did 5 laps on the track pretty hard then 2 200 Hard with a walk lap after. After than did a 200 jog to the 200 start and did the last part of the lap hard.

Felt good to do that...