Graphical Updates: Good or Pointless?

Gudi

Hi,

i have been playing RS since 2002, and i feel that the graphical updates have been entirely pointless.

I think that the HD Runescape option is good, but i feel that the "improvements" in the low quality graphics have done nothing to improve the game for me. They appear to have done the opposite by slowing the game down. I much preferred the graphics from 2005. I feel they were nicer to look at and easier to use.

What do you guys think? Have the graphical updates been an improvement to the game or just an annoyance to adapt to/a slowing down of the game?

*I am not saying that HD is bad, i think it is great. I am simply saying that the low quality graphical updates are defeating the point of having a low quality option.

But does improving the appeal of the game actually improve it?

RS has been behind in graphics for many years, it never stopped it from becoming one of the top MMORPGs around.

RS has been behind in graphics for many years, it never stopped it from becoming one of the top MMORPGs around.

People say, "Runescape, yeah, it's good...it has terrible graphics though." Well, now it doesn't have terrible graphics. So yeah.

Plus, the graphics team and the content team are comprised of different people, so it's not like content is just being sacrificed for graphics. Nothing wrong with making stuff look nicer if it isn't getting in the way of new quests and stuff.

People say, "Runescape, yeah, it's good...it has terrible graphics though." Well, now it doesn't have terrible graphics. So yeah.

Plus, the graphics team and the content team are comprised of different people, so it's not like content is just being sacrificed for graphics. Nothing wrong with making stuff look nicer if it isn't getting in the way of new quests and stuff.

I suppose you have a point, but it is still behind in graphcis :S.

It is one of the best browser games, but you can get games such as Shaiya and Last Chaos that are 100% free with amazing graphics. I just feel the only thing keeping people from those games was the gameplay, which has recently gone to crap.

To expand on what Bauke said, it's simply a small part in Jagex's effort to expand the game's usability. Making the game more user-friendly and appealing to a more diverse playerbase, particularly in the earlier stages, should help retain potential new subscribers. This is always a good thing.

That said, Runescape's metagame needs some love, and perhaps priorities could be shifted a bit, but there's little to support an argument against these minor improvements.

As far as them doing nothing for you other than slowing the game down . . . drop the settings a notch, or upgrade your computer. The same applies to any PC game.

convictor.png

Dell E1705 | Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz | 2 GB 553 MHz RAM | nVidia 7900 Go | 120 GB 5,400 RPM | UXGA

Dream as though you'll live forever. Live as though you'll die today

Convictor | Chris

I suppose you have a point, but it is still behind in graphcis :S.

It is one of the best browser games, but you can get games such as Shaiya and Last Chaos that are 100% free with amazing graphics. I just feel the only thing keeping people from those games was the gameplay, which has recently gone to crap.

From your examples, it shows that doing graphics too much damages a game, but RS is far from reaching the point of too much. At the moment, better graphics would benefit this game. Let's consider updating graphics as a waste of resources when it's clear that we don't need them.

To be honest, if you can't follow the incredibly shallow curve of the minimum SD requirements over time, you need to get someone else to upgrade your computer. Get a £40 graphics card or something, you won't regret it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I'd say RuneScape does actually have better graphics than both of those games, and also WoW. It's a completely different type of graphics, but I'd say the quality is much higher in RuneScape.

I've never realy cared about graphics personally. But they are nice and brought in some more players(new and old) which benifits the game unless of course they are like 10 years old or are trolls. It seems to have brought in more good than bad players and of course the occasional full screen HD is useful.

All in all they benifited runescape and are decent so I say they are good even thought I thought they were pointless at first.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

i hate most graphic updates, (have only liked hq) and i find that it hurts the nastalgia for me when they update graphics. i want my damn cows black and white, not like someone s*** on them!

Mod edit: No need to swear! ~ Rainy_Day

Y_Z.png

I don't think runescape is "behind in graphics"

Point me to any other 100% online java based game of a similar scale that looks half as good?

You can't because they don't exsist.

Yes the graphics arent amazing next to say wow, but you can't legimately compare a disc based standard pc cd/dvd game to a pure online java applet. In terms of graphics capabilities runescape has gone above and beyond what java could do, WoW comes nowhere near as close to the limits of pc graphics power.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I agree with a lot of the points on this thread, especially that it is good graphics for a Java game.

But for me, the updated graphics on RS are FAR more laggy than the old high quality. It is now as if i am being forced to play on a laggier game. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to have the option of old graphics?

Hi,

I much preferred the graphics from 2005. I feel they were nicer to look at and easier to use.

Me too, I'll always prefer the 2005 graphics over the new graphics.

I like HD, but don't play on it that much because I prefer things looking the old way.

It does nothing to SD but create more glitches usually.

I mean look at the chatheads: before the huge HD update they looked completely fine, but now after the update Jagex added shading to the chat-heads making them look worse (in Standard Detail) then before imho.

oldvsnewac0.png

In that picture, I prefer the image on the left more because it looks alot more detailed and "Runescapish" imo.

The ground and walls look alot more textured, and the standing/walking/running animations looked better (the current ones are good, I just prefer the old ones)

~Darth

Hi,

I much preferred the graphics from 2005. I feel they were nicer to look at and easier to use.

Me too, I'll always prefer the 2005 graphics over the new graphics.

I like HD, but don't play on it that much because I prefer things looking the old way.

It does nothing to SD but create more glitches usually.

I mean look at the chatheads: before the huge HD update they looked completely fine, but now after the update Jagex added shading to the chat-heads making them look worse (in Standard Detail) then before imho.

oldvsnewac0.png

In that picture, I prefer the image on the left more because it looks alot more detailed and "Runescapish" imo.

The ground and walls look alot more textured, and the standing/walking/running animations looked better (the current ones are good, I just prefer the old ones)

~Darth

Totally agree. I think that graphic updates have also changed the feel of the game in general. It seems less medieval in my opinion (which ruins a part of the game for me).

It really depends. If you're running on an ancient computer like I am while at home (256 ram, 1ghz processor, 64mb integrated vga) it certainly hurts my gameplay. But when I go to college and I'm running on a computer that DOESNT suck quite so much, I can really appreciate the graphics and they contribute to the overall experience.

They're catering mostly to the average scaper, who, it would seem, doesn't play on dinosaurs like I do :XD:

hzvjpwS.gif

It really depends individually on each update, some, like RuneScape HD, is very good, makes RS look nicer, giving a improved version of RuneScape. But something like the hps bar 'improvement' is utterly pointless and just ruins RS combat tbh, seriously, we don't want pokemon style hp bars.

I really don't see how the hp bar being updated actually helped any players. Infact, I see it getting some people killed in PvP because it didn't fit into the RuneScape theme at all. Overall, I think more things should be made optional, not forcing us to use the new graphics, some people actually LIKE the old graphics better.

Jagex seems to be catering to the HD players more now, and it really sucks if you have a slow running computer like lady_ninane. Sometimes it's nice, sometimes it's horrible, Ogres and Leprechaun's look downright horrible and there is nothing a player could do to change it. Summary: JaGex should make improvements optional to run, don't force us to 'like' the 'improvements', especially if they aren't improvements.

I also much preferred the 2005 graphics to the "good, new" graphics. They do not slow my computer down, but these new updates just don't make runescape feel like runescape anymore.

LOL.

What, seriously? I think the ogres had quite an improvement. Have you been to Jiggig lately? Somebody decided to make the zogres revert to predeath behavior patterns, and they seem to be having an endless rave with bongos. Granted, they take a while to die now, but the fact that they keep dancing, even in their death throes, is an endless source of amusement. (The belly shields make me wonder how I can still be ranging them effectively. Lol.)

The leprechauns may take some getting used to, but you better learn to live with it because the same artist is also remaking the faeries, I believe.

8f14270694.jpg

To be perfectly honest I think graphical updates in runescape are a waste of time.

Lets face it, if you play runescape for the graphics you clearly dont get out much to see whats out there in terms of graphics. Runescape is a browser based game which you dont really have to install, meaning there are severe limitations for graphics and it will never really be able to compete in that department. Jagex should realize this and instead of employing all kinds of 3D artists, they should be employing more people to update GAMEPLAY. Thats why people play runescape, the actual gameplay and accomplishments in the game. Not for graphical superiority.

Good.

Without the RS HD update, I doubt that this game will appeal as much as today. (Or does it already?)

People just think graphics are the best thing in the world. That's why many people fell in love with WoW.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention