Here we go again. SwiftKit illegal to use

Earth_Poet

Who cares, I see no benefits to using SS. RS has just about everything SS has now.

Quicklinks? High scores barely an inch away? MP3 player? IRC Built in? Calculators? Timers and Stopwatches? Notepad?

No?

Allright.

Quicklinks? Download the quicklink add-on to Mozilla Firefox.

Highscores? Who cares what rank you are in a skill, you can still see how far you are from a level in game.

MP3 player? Try iTunes.

IRC? Clan chat.

Calculators? Tip.it.

Timers? Worthless.

Notepad? Your computer comes with that.

But its so much more convenient to have it one click away, than having to go through alot of stuff or have other windows open, being able to do everything while playing is what makes people use SK.

Like an in-car radio, you dont NEED it, you can use your own radio, but it makes it so much easier having it built in.

Personally, as with last time, i doubt this mod knows what they are talking about, or it will get overturned again very soon, hell, i'm not going to remove SK. SK provides no in-game advantages over others, and its so obvious that it isn't a security risk, i'd estimate at least 10k people use Sk, and thats a low estimate, if it was going to be a security risk, it would easily be known.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think someone needs to go find the quote with Jagex saying it was legal. Personally, I think mod Seven is full of [cabbage] and doesn't know what he's talking about. There are so many Jagex mods now I feel like they lose communication sometime. This could just be a situation where he never got the memo. lol.

And I don't care. I'm still using SwiftKit. Ban me, Jagex. Do it. Lose a customer of four years because you want to place a pointless rule in the game.

Word.

And Jagex doesn't even state what's so dangerous about using Sk (besides losing your account due to a virus, keylogger, etc., but many users haven't had the problem for the past year...).

Unless they edit their message and state what's so "dis-advantageous" about Sk, users will continue to use it.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Not only that, but doesn't EVERY SINGLE PLAYER have equal access to SK?

C'mon Jagex, step your game up.

206mwr6.jpg

99 Fletching || 288/309 Quest Points || 99 Cooking ||

122 Combat || 99 Defence || 2000+ Total ||

16/25 80+'s || 99 Firemaking || 99 Woodcutting ||

2011 Goals : All skills 80+ | 99 Magic | 99 Farming | 99 Thieving | 99 Hunter | 99 Range

"The Unexamined Life is not worth living" - Socrates

If you should ban swiftkit, ban IE and firefox because they are "3rd party"

Just because a jagex mod comes out and says swiftkit is illegal means im going to stop using it, no im not, it will take a front page post to make me consider it.

There is no basis to say that Swiftkit links directly to game worlds like SwiftSwitch did.

Ive used both and I see why SwiftSwitch was banned. This is very petty to ban something if it doesnt violate anything.

Scouterzach1.png

Current Goals:

96/99 Dungeoneering

2300+/2496 total

I'll just program my own damn client. Suck on that Jagex!

This is stupid. Maybe Strider can release the source code to Jagex for them to look over each update? This way, Jagex can be sure that SK is safe. But then ago,

and dont say Strider could re-upload it with malicious code etc....

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I really doubt they are going to ban 100,000+ Players cause Mod seven is full of [cabbage] and he doesn't know what he's talking about. I will gladly continue to use SK.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I can't believe they're making this mistake again. Esp. with Mod MMG as the current CEO; he seems to know much more than previous CEOs about players' feelings towards this kinda stuff. Chances are that the mods had no clue what they were talking about though.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

Personally, I think mod Seven is full of [cabbage] and doesn't know what he's talking about. There are so many Jagex mods now I feel like they lose communication sometime. This could just be a situation where he never got the memo. lol.

modcrow.png

Doubtful.

Personally, I think mod Seven is full of [cabbage] and doesn't know what he's talking about. There are so many Jagex mods now I feel like they lose communication sometime. This could just be a situation where he never got the memo. lol.

modcrow.png

Doubtful.

"As mentioned earlier we will bring you an official policy statement when it is available."

In the meantime... :-w

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Like hell I'm getting off SK.

Bingo. I'm not going to open 6 different windows just to get access to everything that SK gives in one. It's simply a way to cut down killing your computer's RAM. I lag a helluva lot less with SK then I do with RS on IE and another window open for Irc just to talk to my clan.

As some other people have said, i'm not even considering removing SK until there is a front page thing about it. I think Seven is full of [cabbage].

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

'da [bleep] does Mod Seven and Mod Crow know about policy? Let's not forget that a Jmod admitted that many of them have no idea what's going on in different departments, does it really surprise you that two Jmods aren't aware of certain rules?

Jagex had a massive change in the rules on 3rd party software over this a long time ago. They set the grounds that made a client legit, and swiftkit changed to meet that (removing quick-world changing among other things).

modpiers3is5.png

This isn't the first case of a Jmod not knowing what they're talking about, and unless Jagex wants another spamfest on the game and forums, they should teach their mods the rules.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Yes, Jagex originally announced on the main page that all 3rd party software was considered illegal to use, and this included SK (at the time known as Swiftswitch). The reasoning then was that SS included a world switcher which Jagex declared was giving players an unfair advantage.

The devs of SS removed the world switcher, and worked hard to comply with Jagex Rules. A few days later Jagex said SS was ok to use. I think this is where most of you are getting this.

Then, the next day, Jagex reversed their decision, but decided to post in the forums instead of on the main page. My guess is not to cause such an uproar as they did in the past. They claimed SK was blocking Jagex's ad banners. As far as I know, nothing had been said further on the topic until recently. However, 10s of thousands of players use it every day without hassle from Jagex. I am curious to see what Jagex plans to say about this, BUT I AM NOT WANTING TO START A FLAME WAR. I just wanted people to be aware of what was going on.

I don't know all the facts, and as some of you pointing out, the mods might not even know either.

rssig2.png

SK IS ALLOWED, and the mod simply has no idea what they are talking about, Just a mis-communication.

Here is proof in Runescape's own rules:

Support > Other > Fansites > Section 8.

8. Can I use third-party RuneScape software?

We do not recommend players use third-party RuneScape-related software of any sort. Please be aware that there is software out there which claims to be a cool RuneScape add-on, but actually installs a keylogger on your computer and steals your password! You should also be aware that there is dangerous software around that won't necessarily be spotted by your anti-virus software. Scanning downloads is, of course, a very good idea, but it still doesn't 100% eliminate the risk.

Furthermore, if such software gives an unfair advantage, encourages rule-breaking, or endangers users' accounts then its use is not allowed under the Rules of RuneScape, and using it may result in your account being banned. If in doubt, don't use it!

Therefore, If the 3rd party client does not promote INGAME user advantage, then it is not against the rules.

SK has nice features such as IRC and screenshots, which are advantages, but not INGAME advantages, therefore not against the rules.

Unless MMG comes out when a statement on the main page saying SK is against the rules, we can assume its perfectly legal.

EDIT: Jagex will not promote SK however. If someone asks if a 3rd Party Client is against the rules, Jagex will say yes, even if its not specifically illegal. This is simply because they are against all 3rd party Clients regardless.

dawnsigblue-3.png

I think one of the problems is that SK uses a lot of unlicensed jagex intellectual property. Also as SK runs ads (well on the mainpage) so theoretically strider is profiting from his program that is based around someone elses' work.

(Although I doubt strider makes anything with several websites and an irc server to pay for.)

I could be wrong here, but I doubt it's about runescape rules, more legal mumbo jumbo (and SK runs rwt ads)

anyway, does this count out the tipit helper thingy as well?

Yes, Jagex originally announced on the main page that all 3rd party software was considered illegal to use, and this included SK (at the time known as Swiftswitch). The reasoning then was that SS included a world switcher which Jagex declared was giving players an unfair advantage.

The devs of SS removed the world switcher, and worked hard to comply with Jagex Rules. A few days later Jagex said SS was ok to use. I think this is where most of you are getting this.

Then, the next day, Jagex reversed their decision, but decided to post in the forums instead of on the main page. My guess is not to cause such an uproar as they did in the past. They claimed SK was blocking Jagex's ad banners. As far as I know, nothing had been said further on the topic until recently. However, 10s of thousands of players use it every day without hassle from Jagex. I am curious to see what Jagex plans to say about this, BUT I AM NOT WANTING TO START A FLAME WAR. I just wanted people to be aware of what was going on.

I don't know all the facts, and as some of you pointing out, the mods might not even know either.

I've seen ads while playing on sk.

Being as they've said it will be announced on the front page, it most likely means they've discussed it, and it's "widely known" amongst the Jagex Staff. They wouldn't declare something to soon be put up on the front page, if it hadn't even been discussed amongst the staff. #-o

But, of course, I've never owned or been part of such a big company, I don't know how big companies operate; I could have been completely misled. specialed.png

Edit:

Just noticed something when I looked over this part of the RuneScape rules.

If the software has its own integrated chat feature, separate from the game chat, it should make it very clear to users that this chat is not part of our games and is not official, endorsed, or moderated by Jagex in any way. Furthermore, this chat should still be moderated (just not by us), and the moderators should not allow chat which infringes our Rules of Conduct. To avoid confusion with the official game chat, moderators of the external chat should not be indicated with a silver or gold crown. If the chat is IRC based, then the software should only allow access to IRC channels which conform with the above rules.

I don't know about anything else, but doesn't SK break this part of the rule? (bolded)