Here we go again. SwiftKit illegal to use

Earth_Poet

When SwiftSwitch was banned in January '07: It was probably due to the fast(er) switching, allowing you into W2, and being able to hide adverts. They talked with Strider and, much to my chagrin, they unbanned it with a newer set of rules.

They probably banned SK now simply because of the IRC client. I do recall Andrew himself talking about how he'd make a replacement for it in RS, and while many people here wouldn't call Clan Chat any replacement, that's probably how they view it.

Anyway...I refuse to comment any further on this matter. I've only heard or seen one mod comment on it thus far, and I'll be damned if we go down that same road we did back in 07...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like hell I'm getting off SK.

Jagex is seriously barking up the wrong tree by starting this [cabbage] up again. I'd guesstimate that more people than ever before use SK, so it's probably going to be followed about as much as "advert blocking" is followed.

td2sig.jpg

I'd also just loooooove to see them make a front page post about this. Can you imagine the backlash they'd get? Also, how would they enforce it? As I mentioned, it'd be honored about as much as the "no advert blocking rule" and I really doubt that Jagex is willing to ban over a quarter of their paying customers. Hell, they wouldn't even ban a couple hundred who deserved it (from the Familiar PvP world glitch).

td2sig.jpg

This is probably the most copied quote I said, when I'm not flaming someone.

On topic, why would they ban SK cause of mIRC? Cause there's not a filter? Cause we can send pictures? Seriously Jagex, what's wrong with that.

I'd also just loooooove to see them make a front page post about this. Can you imagine the backlash they'd get? Also, how would they enforce it? As I mentioned, it'd be honored about as much as the "no advert blocking rule" and I really doubt that Jagex is willing to ban over a quarter of their paying customers. Hell, they wouldn't even ban a couple hundred who deserved it (from the Familiar PvP world glitch).

which glitch are you talking about?

also, i'm unsure of this, but when I log into tip.it IRC, it detects that I am a SK user...

w4M8t.png

Can they even detect if you use it or not? It seems like it would be pretty hard to do..

I don't know how SwiftKit is programmed but it's easy to code so Jagex can't tell if you use a program or any browser to play.

Personally Swiftkit is too big for me. My RS only covers a minimum of my desktop so I can watch TV or any videos, browse the internet or chat in ICQ. I also don't understand why you all use iTunes. Wimamp ftw! It has so much more features than any "built-in player". Use a nice skin and it doesn't take up much desktop place:

[hide=]unbenannt2wup.jpg[/hide]

[404] Signature not found.

which glitch are you talking about?

also, i'm unsure of this, but when I log into tip.it IRC, it detects that I am a SK user...

Used to be that if you died in F2P with a familiar in P2P, you gained potential from items "lost" in the familiar. People abused this by loading each spot in a turtle or yak with several hundred K worth of items and rapidly building up massive PvP points. They changed it so that if you die, all items in a familiar are deleted, regardless if you are in p2p or f2p.

td2sig.jpg

I honestly don't care anymore, If they wish to ban me for using SK so be it.

I'm not gonna stop using something I enjoy using because a Mod doesn't like it.

Besides, to me all SK really does is beat the lag problems I suffer with on previous computers :thumbsup:

ILY SK <3:

Zaroterasu.png

I don't get why Jagex would even bother saying it's not allowed when one they can't detect it, and two it's used by a large majority of players.

Third party programs > the actual game itself.

Is always the case in any game.

Jagex has said that the audience of players is 16+, so why do they say something like this isn't allowed, even though majority of people 16+ should know the risks, but disregard them anyway.

Jagex making a fool of themselves once again.

Good game.

I stopped using SK because it used up a lot of space and was laggy, but wasn't the entire reason they banned SS before because you could world hop too easily and gain an advantage over others? The current SK provides no extra benefits ingame than the default RS client, that mod doesn't seem to know what he is talking about really. Jagex would be incredibly stupid and naive to ban it again. Like other people have mentioned, FF and IE are third party clients are they not?

They do tend to ban channels that aren't condoned; for example I was in a certain chat that happened to be run by a prominent phisher/RWT'r, and a lot of that was going on in that channel, even recruiting for it, and it eventually got banned.

What about individuals. Especially those who "befriend" people just so they can secretly send keyloggers. "Haha I have to go in 5 seconds but quickly check this picture out and tell me what you think" And let's be clear about it, not all RuneScape users are bright. Even veteran players have been known to get keylogged, but in all honesty that is rare.

It can be argued that one does not need to have SK to access IRC and therefore the same scam can still occur. However SK is usually labelled as a 'RuneScape client', which is known to be openly available to the public. Runescape and IRC are seperate clients, however SK merges these two clients, thus making users more susceptible to scams.

And I would have doubts that a large proportion of RuneScape users would quit over this. What would they be quitting over? The game will be the same. You'll still have access to those features, though not "easier" access. Even past events of RuneScape, such as the removal of game content has proven that the majority of players will still be willing to play. And SK is not even game content.

I understand that people are upset about the changes. But what happened to the majority of people who usually adovocate "Don't worry Jagex will find a way to fix this" or "Adapt or get over it". I guess some users are finally seeing the other side of the fence.

But I agree that Jagex needs to improve their Runescape client aswell as the clan chat (i.e more features) before they ban SK.

"I'd rather bear the comments people say to insult ya, then to poison my skin and erase my culture " - Deep Foundation

This is probably the most copied quote I said, when I'm not flaming someone.

On topic, why would they ban SK cause of mIRC? Cause there's not a filter? Cause we can send pictures? Seriously Jagex, what's wrong with that.

It can't be because of mIrc. You can get mIrc off thousands of places by just searching for it on Google. I don't think mIrc is the problem, I don't think there is a problem. I think it's just that there is a [cabbage] up Seven's [cabbage].

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

They do tend to ban channels that aren't condoned; for example I was in a certain chat that happened to be run by a prominent phisher/RWT'r, and a lot of that was going on in that channel, even recruiting for it, and it eventually got banned.

What about individuals. Especially those who "befriend" people just so they can secretly send keyloggers. "Haha I have to go in 5 seconds but quickly check this picture out and tell me what you think" And let's be clear about it, not all RuneScape users are bright. Even veteran players have been known to get keylogged, but in all honesty that is rare.

It can be argued that one does not need to have SK to access IRC and therefore the same scam can still occur. However SK is usually labelled as a 'RuneScape client', which is known to be openly available to the public. Runescape and IRC are seperate clients, however SK merges these two clients, thus making users more susceptible to scams.

And I would have doubts that a large proportion of RuneScape users would quit over this. What would they be quitting over? The game will be the same. You'll still have access to those features, though not "easier" access. Even past events of RuneScape, such as the removal of game content has proven that the majority of players will still be willing to play. And SK is not even game content.

I understand that people are upset about the changes. But what happened to the majority of people who usually adovocate "Don't worry Jagex will find a way to fix this" or "Adapt or get over it". I guess some users are finally seeing the other side of the fence.

But I agree that Jagex needs to improve their Runescape client aswell as the clan chat (i.e more features) before they ban SK.

Don't get your hopes up :roll: A J mod just didn't know what he was talking about lmao. SK will not be banned, and people smart enough can tell what's a keylogger and what not is.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

When Jagex integrates Irc in their client I'll stop using SK.

Until that happens...

S

M

D

:P

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Until that happens...

S

M

D

Amen my brother =D> (even though i never use Irc :P )

I think Jagex need to re-search into this a bit more then throwing a coin in the air and yelling heads or tails.

(heads it gets banned, tails it stays...)

Aslong as it isn't an unfair advantage Jagex should shut their faces.

Zaroterasu.png

Until that happens...

S

M

D

Amen my brother =D> (even though i never use Irc :P )

I think Jagex need to re-search into this a bit more then throwing a coin in the air and yelling heads or tails.

(heads it gets banned, tails it stays...)

Aslong as it isn't an unfair advantage Jagex should shut their faces.

It's not exactly Jagex. It's seven and crow. They can either explain themselves, and cite the source of their information, or they can take their anti swiftkit attitudes, and shove them securely up their respective [wagon].(or each others' if they're into that sort of thing)

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

ROFL it's funny how everyone believes jagex could -or is even allowed- to enforce such a rule..

Now before anyone starts yelling about their so called "terms of use". Notice 1 thing: terms of service CAN NEVER OVERRIDE A LAW! - So if a law (explicitely or implicitely) states that you can do A, a ToS can never ever say that you can't do it.

Now the dutch (and from what I remember it's a part of the european) law states that a "service should not depend on certain programs" - there've been a case to the court where microsoft was limiting firefox users in their updating progress (the service) because firefox didn't use activeX. Something similar happens: jagex can't limit the "service" (runescape) to their customers because they use a certain "3rd party" software package.

That they have done so in the past doesn't say that it's according to the law they do it: if you would go to the court they wouldn't even need to make a case from it, the answer is clear already. (though the refund is zero, and the price for going to a court is high - many companies know this, so they know they are safe from it).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

ROFL it's funny how everyone believes jagex could -or is even allowed- to enforce such a rule..

Now before anyone starts yelling about their so called "terms of use". Notice 1 thing: terms of service CAN NEVER OVERRIDE A LAW! - So if a law (explicitely or implicitely) states that you can do A, a ToS can never ever say that you can't do it.

Now the dutch (and from what I remember it's a part of the european) law states that a "service should not depend on certain programs" - there've been a case to the court where microsoft was limiting firefox users in their updating progress (the service) because firefox didn't use activeX. Something similar happens: jagex can't limit the "service" (runescape) to their customers because they use a certain "3rd party" software package.

That they have done so in the past doesn't say that it's according to the law they do it: if you would go to the court they wouldn't even need to make a case from it, the answer is clear already. (though the refund is zero, and the price for going to a court is high - many companies know this, so they know they are safe from it).

Yeah...if only Swiftkit was governed by Dutch law...from the looks of a quick WHOIS, it looks like Strider's based out in Australia. AFAIK, there's no law like that in Australia.

Anyway, it's absolutely possible to detect what people are using to visit a site. So don't go around saying that it's not detectable, because that's just flat-out wrong.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Yeah...if only Swiftkit was governed by Dutch law...from the looks of a quick WHOIS, it looks like Strider's based out in Australia. AFAIK, there's no law like that in Australia.

Anyway, it's absolutely possible to detect what people are using to visit a site. So don't go around saying that it's not detectable, because that's just flat-out wrong.

It's detectable if the user wants it to be detectable.. The user agent is just something a browser sends to help the server.. But if you want you could "easily" (at least in firefox, ie doesn't support this) set the user agent to something else.

The very first thing you learn when doing a course for game design is: "the player is evil, always asume the player is evil and uses a modified client which looks exactly the same as the official client". - Meaning that every important calculation should be done on the server (which in fact is the case for RS).. But anyways if I would use swiftkit I would still be govermented by the dutch/european law (actually I believe it was an implicit derive from the constitution about freedom.) - Also I doubt Australia doesn't have a law to protect customers freedom, searching the FSF should give a conclusive result. (The free software foundation keeps a blacklist of goverments that don't support the freedom of software choice for their citizens).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

This is my set-up, using the official client with the old swiftswitch chat client (post worldswitcher, pre swiftkit)

[hide=]setup.png[/hide]

A lot of you complain about the screenshot capper being the best aspect; there are plenty of programs out there that do the job just as well.

I use imageshack quickshot, which basically screenshots the active window and saves to a predetermined folder. As I keep the RS window cropped anyway the pics are small unless the window is big.

Not only that, but doesn't EVERY SINGLE PLAYER have equal access to SK?

C'mon Jagex, step your game up.

Mac and Linux users don't no, and Jagex have a Mac-room :)

Therefore it gives unfair advantage to people running Windows-based machines, I like how they've re-worded their rules, it actually makes any 3rd party application (other than known Internet Browsers) against the rules.

However, they can't "detect" you're running SK.