Here we go again. SwiftKit illegal to use

Earth_Poet

Being as they've said it will be announced on the front page, it most likely means they've discussed it, and it's "widely known" amongst the Jagex Staff. They wouldn't declare something to soon be put up on the front page, if it hadn't even been discussed amongst the staff. #-o

But, of course, I've never owned or been part of such a big company, I don't know how big companies operate; I could have be completely misled. specialed.png

As companies go, jagex are tiny :P

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a bunch of [cabbage]...

I'll use swiftkit until I get banned :twisted:

All the tools it has doesn't give me an in game advantage over other players, just convenience like having my screen shots get cropped and moved into the right folder instantly.

100111011101.png

5417.png

Being as they've said it will be announced on the front page, it most likely means they've discussed it, and it's "widely known" amongst the Jagex Staff. They wouldn't declare something to soon be put up on the front page, if it hadn't even been discussed amongst the staff. #-o

But, of course, I've never owned or been part of such a big company, I don't know how big companies operate; I could have been completely misled. specialed.png

As companies go, jagex are tiny :P

You sure? Being the developers of one of the most popular MMORPGs out there, I would've figured they were a fairly large company. My bad, then.

Aww, is Jagex jealous that Swiftkit is so much better than their little half-assed client? Well, maybe they should get off their [wagon] and code that new client they promised us all that time ago during the first SS fiasco. I really can't understand this. WoW actually lets their players code actual addons to the game (some of which actually give something of an advantage in combat...), and Jagex is trying to ban a client which does nothing more than provide the useful utilities players would probably be using anyway in one convenient package. Not doing too well for your credibility, guys...

i'm going to continue to use Swiftkit. If they start banning people for it, they're going to lose A LOT of customers.

To answer a couple questions.

- It does not block banner ads.

- It does not contain any copyrighted material, and rather links to the material.

- it provides convenience, not advantage. All of the material found in swiftkit could be found on fansites, or the official runescape website, Swiftkit just combines it all into one easy to use interface.

Either way, I'm going to continue using it. If they want to ban me, then they lose a loyal player for over 8 years. If that's their business model, then they're doomed to failure anyway.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Like hell I'm getting off SK.

My sentiment exactly. SK gives no unfair advantages ingame, but has loads of features that I use, especially the screenshots. In addition, it poses no less security risk than a regular browser, because it loads RS with an IE dll (part of a program). Clients that do pose security risks are ones that load Runescape with their own (often malicious) code.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Who cares, I see no benefits to using SS. RS has just about everything SS has now.

Quicklinks? High scores barely an inch away? MP3 player? IRC Built in? Calculators? Timers and Stopwatches? Notepad?

No?

Allright.

Quicklinks? Download the quicklink add-on to Mozilla Firefox.

Highscores? Who cares what rank you are in a skill, you can still see how far you are from a level in game.

MP3 player? Try iTunes.

IRC? Clan chat.

Calculators? Tip.it.

Timers? Worthless.

Notepad? Your computer comes with that.

Highscores - for looking up other people, not yourself :|

MP3 - Some people don't use iTunes

IRC is so much more useful than a CC, posting pics, having more people in it, not having to be on RS at the time of use, and EXP trackers.

Calculators - Its more convenient.

Yes, but I would like to point out that there are several other IRC clients out there.

And if you want another image....

mmksk-1.png

j0xPu5R.png

Strider could add 3-5 lines of code to log everything you type, but if you have an anti-virus software, then it *should* detect the api used.

I see why Jagex might not want players to use SwiftKit, but all SwiftKit does is organize everything you normaly use for rs into a single interface using less system power so you can run Photoshop or Sony Vegas or w/e while 'scaping.

EDIT vvvvv

Having Itunes, mIRC, IE loaded up with rs, tip.it,zybez forums, highscores , and online radio, I was using 4 times as much system ram as compared to SK.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Jagex needs to let their balls drop once in a while...

Was that supposed to be clever?

Anyways, it's kind of sad to see how people are reacting over this.

I use the runescape toolkit app on my itouch and tip it, all I need to be honest so I couldn't care less about this crap. :P

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

So does this mean that the tip.it microhelper is not to be used either?

And for those that need more system resources for running a browser + java, you might want to look at Google Chrome.

And as for the rule, I think that the last line of the rule says it best, "When in doubt, don't use it" As such I will regrettably not use it. And that is going to suck.

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

Here's a picture of a friend of mine, without using SK, and showing how much crap he uses.

Yea, I know it's not that great of a picture, but it's the only one I could find.

scape0010.png

I'd like to see carl play with SK, see how that'd work out for him.

[hide=]

If the chat is IRC based, then the software should only allow access to IRC channels which conform with the above rules.

Partly the reason I guess.

[/hide]

That would make the channels pointless.

If the chat is IRC based, then the software should only allow access to IRC channels which conform with the above rules.

Partly the reason I guess.

They do tend to ban channels that aren't condoned; for example I was in a certain chat that happened to be run by a prominent phisher/RWT'r, and a lot of that was going on in that channel, even recruiting for it, and it eventually got banned.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

Someone posted earlier that SK doesn't offer any in-game advantage, which is what the rules state is required to be considered "illegal"...

So tell me, what does swift-kit have that I couldn't pull up in another window?

btw, I hate the term "3rd party software" because it has no reference...third party to what? Runescape? Wouldn't that be considered just about anything? Firefox, Paint, Calculator, iTunes..etc?

software created by programmers or publishers independent of the manufacturer of the hardware for which it is intended.

So would this mean that all that stryder would have to do is say that his software is for some other game, such as WoW, and it wouldn't be considered 3rd party.(This is for all of you who argue that browsers etc. aren't specifically for runescape)

w4M8t.png

I can see why everyone is upset with this post, but using Firefox + mIRC + iTunes isn't that difficult...

I used to use SK/SS before they said it was illegal the first time, but I just found using this is basically the same.

61538678.png

mIRC has calcs, highscores, timers, basically anything that SK does besides the screen shot ability.

pongr.png

I've actually never bothered with SK, never fancied my taste.

Personally, i remember when all the hustle and bust was resolved when they said it was fine to use a while back, and now a loose post from seemingly out of nowhere, I highly doubt a change of mind was made, at least I hope it wasn't.

Good luck to everyone hoping for the right decision.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Someone posted earlier that SK doesn't offer any in-game advantage, which is what the rules state is required to be considered "illegal"...

So tell me, what does swift-kit have that I couldn't pull up in another window?

In SwiftKit, you don't have to pull up another window... that's basically all there is to it.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

If you ask me, Strider had the best comment to this.

Majority of Jagex mods don't even know what SwiftKit is or does(Notice the space in the name?). The Jagex mod has lost any credibility by mentioning SwiftKit, which they've never been allowed to do. (Both players and staff)

Summing is up:

Players CAN'T advertise swiftkit, yes a Jmod advertised it to ALL the RSOF.

Also...

They can't just ban people for using SK... There's TONS of other RS add-ons that give no in-game advantages, but are nice to have.

I can see why everyone is upset with this post, but using Firefox + mIRC + iTunes isn't that difficult...

I used to use SK/SS before they said it was illegal the first time, but I just found using this is basically the same.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/2319/61538678.png

mIRC has calcs, highscores, timers, basically anything that SK does besides the screen shot ability.

Switching between windows/tabs could cost you. When checking someons highscores at pvp world, you could get attacked in the proccess. That's one benefit of SwiftKit, actually, I think multi-screens would be handy too. You could play rs in one screen, but use SK in the other. YOu are not technically playing rs in TPS.

Majority of Jagex mods don't even know what SwiftKit is or does(Notice the space in the name?). The Jagex mod has lost any credibility by mentioning SwiftKit, which they've never been allowed to do. (Both players and staff)

Technically, until they said "SwiftKit" instead of "Swift Kit" then we can still use SwiftKit.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]