Here we go again. SwiftKit illegal to use

Earth_Poet

im just going to do what i did back when SK was supposedly "illegal"

oh, that's right, im still going to use it.

if i get banned, that'll be another reason for me to go and play another game or get a life.

though i am working 2 jobs now, so with that, i dont have time for a life really, not to mention runescape.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can Jagex decide what browser I use to play Runescape in? They have nothing to do with what I have installed on my pc. SK doesn't breach any of their rules, it just shows the Runescape webpage, and has some features that are built around it.

I don't use SK, but this is [bleep]ing [developmentally delayed]ed.

I believe the comment is question was an attempt at stopping a possible security breach for anyone using it.

This just seems a bit half assed by the Mod's. There's been numerous occasions where they've given bad information both in game and on the forums. DFH, is the one which I remember best.

Just sit back and watch the show guys.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Here's a picture of a friend of mine, without using SK, and showing how much crap he uses.

Yea, I know it's not that great of a picture, but it's the only one I could find.

scape0010.png

I'd like to see carl play with SK, see how that'd work out for him.

[hide=]

If the chat is IRC based, then the software should only allow access to IRC channels which conform with the above rules.

Partly the reason I guess.

[/hide]

That would make the channels pointless.

I only use three windows :/

One runescape, one Chatzilla, then a firefox window with tip.it, zybez, whateverforumiwanttoread, a song etc.

And if I am doing clue scrolls or something I'll just use irc bot commands.

Regarding Jagex being able to detect that you're using SK, I wasn't too sure either way. I'm still not sure, but this might lean closer to "they can't".

Directly from the SwiftKit website:

RuneScape uses the Internet Explorer control shdocvw.dll to load RuneScape in. That control is ideal for what we need, and works just the way we want it to.

http://kb.swiftkit.net/question-can-swi ... cape-.html

So does this mean that, at most, Jagex would detect you're using Internet Explorer?

Regarding Jagex being able to detect that you're using SK, I wasn't too sure either way. I'm still not sure, but this might lean closer to "they can't".

RuneScape uses the Internet Explorer control shdocvw.dll to load RuneScape in. That control is ideal for what we need, and works just the way we want it to.

So does this mean that, at most, Jagex would detect you're using Internet Explorer?

Depends on what internet explorer uses to load RS.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Depends on what internet explorer uses to load RS.

Wait, what? AFAIK, Internet Explorer uses all its own stuff (disregarding Flash, Java, etc.), as opposed to SK using IE's page renderer.

I said it in the thread on RSOF, I'll say it here...

Since we can't use ANY third party softwares, that obviously means we can not use our operating systems to run RS. Guys if you don't want to break the rules, you better delete your OS.

~~Chaise91~~

Hi everyone, I'm one of the lead developers for SwiftKit, and I will be happy to tell you all that SwiftKit is 100% legal to use, according to the rules Jagex has set out for third party programs. These "Jmods" are obviously unaware and uneducated as to what SwiftKit is or does, which is a shame when they open their mouth without thinking of the consequences.

SwiftKit uses Internet Explorer, meaning that it's completely undetectable, and downright stupid why it would be illegal. If no "3rd party programs are allowed", then why the hell is there a set of rules governing them? I'm not sure if that RSF thread was posted here, but if you see it it was 31 pages of community members disproving the mods rather harshly.

It's worth saying that in the event SwiftKit (or SwiftSwitch) ever was not allowed to use, we were always contacted beforehand, and allowed to work with Jagex to rectify the problem. We were never contacted, nor aware of any changes in rules.

Don't worry folks, not one (1) person has EVER been banned for using SwiftKit, and no will ever be. ::'

SwiftKit staff // http://swiftkit.net

Zpoon.png

They wouldn't be able to detct it anyways. It goes through Runescapes main page just like any other web browser. I've been using swiftswitch/swiftkit for nearly 6 years and I've never had a problem, I'll continue using it.

Torlen.png

I don't see the big deal on Jagex's part. I am almost 100% positive that they said that SK was legal to use because it gives no advantage. Jagex is even planning to create similar tools that SK has themselves. And since when should they care about "security breaches"? It doesn't affect Jagex as a company, just the players who made the mistake of downloading malicious software.

This will be interesting.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I think Jagex need to re-search into this a bit more then throwing a coin in the air and yelling heads or tails.

(heads it gets banned, tails it stays...)

Wait, why are they calling it if the sides are pre-determined results? If heads = banned, tails = not banned, why call one or the other?

As for SS/SK I haven't used it in probably 2 years (might be less, I don't really know for sure), so I don't really care either way. But I agree they should make up their mind with it.

04-Jun-2009 16:06:30

King Runite,

I would assume that you are talking about Swift Kit yes?

Any piece of 3rd Party Software that interacts with RuneScape must follow a strict set of guidelines. Any 3rd party software that doesn't fit these guidelines is not allowed.

Swiftkit, does follow these guidelines. So it is not against the rules to use.

HOWEVER, we strongly urge players to consider the security of their accounts as it would be very easy for somebody to install a keylogger into such software and release it as an "update" for people to download.

It is still at player's own risk if they choose to use 3rd party software.

As for being censored, when you enter the RuneScape Forums and RuneScape game you agree that we can remove any content we deem inappropriate.

Also, J-Mod's post do represent Jagex and whilst we may not always be 100% correct, generally what we say is the "bottom line".

Cheers,

~ MMH ~

04-Jun-2009 16:08:14

In addition, you will be issued in-game blackmarks for serious forum offences. These can be appealed as normal.

There is no need to appeal locked threads or temporary mutes as these do not affect your account in any way.

~ MMH ~

Everyone can now stop whining.

Quick find code: 14-15-38-58922826 Page 2

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012