Post and discuss all Jagex Twitter updates here!

forestfrolic

I challenge any of you to design, program, or create graphics for an update. Some of these updates are several thousand lines of coding ( Click here to see what 5 thousand lines of text actually looks like) . Each method they add has to work with the game engine. Its tedious work. Before you complain about an update or when it is released, think of the work involved and the time allotted.

Get me a million dollar company and the coding skills and I would happily do so.

Jagex is lacking.

Did you even read what I said?

You can't just pull new content out of your [wagon]. You have to create concepts, design graphics and sounds, do the code, debug the code, Q&A the content, fix any errors, test it in game, then release it. If Jagex wants to produce content which appeases higher levels, they need more time. If you were pressed to write a perfect 100-page essay once a week, could you do it perfectly each time? With no grammar or spelling mistakes? You obviously have no understanding of game concept, programming, and design.

I think Jagex should switch to a monthly update schedule. This is for two reasons. One, they can be extra sure that each update is ready to go. Two, so players can experience the previous month's updates.

I hope you aren't thinking they make the entire update in a week. They've already told us they work on updates for months and I'm sure huge ones possibly a year or more(like a skill). In fact, a recent developers blog told us they were starting on the Halloween update a few weeks ago.

But I do agree with you on the part about people expecting too much out of jagex. Most people don't even take into consideration how hard it is to make an update before complaining about a small update week or no updates at all.

I was trying to get to where I was implying that being forced to produce content biweekly/weekly by the players can take a toll on quality.

Did I miss something, or has there really been quality in the latest updates?

Nowadays, my stand towards players who whine over lack of quality updates is to strongly encourage them to quit the game, whether permanently or temporarily.

One, you're complaining as if you have NOTHING to do in the game, and waiting for the update to save yourself of boredom for the whole week standing in the middle of Lumbridge.

Two, if you're not getting what you get (or think you should be getting), you should in fact leave the game, instead of continuing to pay for what you're not expecting to receive. Stop contradicting yourself by paying AND complaining.

Three, if you quit, you save the rest of hearing the same old story, and show Jagex that you're proving your cause with action.

I find that updates has been increasing in standard when comparing to the good old days of 2004-2007, where aside from exhausting convenient ideas for updates, many of the updates (especially quests), were rather poor in quality and required later updating to the storyline, graphics, reward and coding.

Speaking of which, I'm kinda amused by the reaction of players whenever there's a no-update week. :thumbsup: It's as if Jagex is torturing you slowly and painfully, and you twitch and squirm from withdrawal symptoms.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what kills people about no update week is that they seem to follow weeks of small updates. If they followed large content it wouldn't be nearly as bad because the way it feels now, it feels like 2 weeks with nothing to do.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I think what kills people about no update week is that they seem to follow weeks of small updates. If they followed large content it wouldn't be nearly as bad because the way it feels now, it feels like 2 weeks with nothing to do.

They could easily put two or three weeks without update after a new skill without much complaint, i think.

They could easily put two or three weeks without update after a new skill without much complaint, i think.

I'd like to see that...

New skill comes out...

Next week: WAAAAAH NO UPDATES! JAMFLEX NEVER UPDATE RUNESCAPE ANYMORE!!! :angry:

Bet you anything people will complain about a no update week after the skill :P

It does sometimes feel like 2 weeks of nothing, though, when a small update is done. It's a bit annoying but not the end of the world.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I'd like to see that...

New skill comes out...

Next week: WAAAAAH NO UPDATES! JAMFLEX NEVER UPDATE RUNESCAPE ANYMORE!!! :angry:

It does sometimes feel like 2 weeks of nothing, though, when a small update is done. It's a bit annoying but not the end of the world.

Don't worry about the complainers. Worry about the people that don't complain and simply leave the game. If you did a big update, then no update, it's not as bad. If you do a small update, then no update, people feel like nothing came out and look forward to something good coming out. When the next thing comes out and its not big, people feel like the No update week was pointless and get extremely aggravated. That'll be next week complaining because the next quest have level 12 requirements and take 4 1/2 minutes to do.

I'd like to see that...

New skill comes out...

Don't worry about the complainers. Worry about the people that don't complain and simply leave the game. If you did a big update, then no update, it's not as bad. If you do a small update, then no update, people feel like nothing came out and look forward to something good coming out. When the next thing comes out and its not big, people feel like the No update week was pointless and get extremely aggravated. That'll be next week complaining because the next quest have level 12 requirements and take 4 1/2 minutes to do.

I've always wondered how people like you do quests... do you just run to the start point, click through the dialouge and run about trying to finish the quest as quickly as you possibly can? Because even a quest like Blood Pact took me 15 mins.... not your 3 minutes.

So, how the heck?

Sorry about going off topic.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

They are trying to keep the game balanced between newbies and higher level players. I do admit they are catering more to the lower levels, still, if you want to always experience higher level content, go play World of Warcraft or something.

And like the above poster said, do you even read the content that the quests provide? You can learn a lot about the game's history and lore if you would read and let the dialogue soak in rather then skip through it.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

They are trying to keep the game balanced between newbies and higher level players. I do admit they are catering more to the lower levels, still, if you want to always experience higher level content, go play World of Warcraft or something.

And like the above poster said, do you even read the content that the quests provide? You can learn a lot about the game's history and lore if you would read and let the dialogue soak in rather then skip through it.

I always read the quest content. It's my favorite part. That's why I like quests to have a story, unlike Blood Pact or Nomad's Requiem. I don't really mind the lack of story for Blood Pact.

And low levels are still overwhelmed by content aimed at them. High levels are not.

I always read the quest content. It's my favorite part. That's why I like quests to have a story, unlike Blood Pact or Nomad's Requiem. I don't really mind the lack of story for Blood Pact.

And low levels are still overwhelmed by content aimed at them. High levels are not.

High level content impacts the game much much more, so you have to stretch those out over a long period of time. This also helps the game maintain sustainability for many more years (or, dare i say, decades?) to come.

The amount of high level updates we've seen recently (and there were A LOT of them) should be fine for everyone looking at it objectively.

Lord_Beloved.png

Most high level content has had little impact, less the high level herblore update. The Runecrafting one had minor, and the fishing one as well had little.

Most high level content has had little impact, less the high level herblore update. The Runecrafting one had minor, and the fishing one as well had little.

Thats rather bs, if I may say so. :P

Living rock cavern changed high level mining as we knew it. 80+ miners dont have to kill their hand at the granite quarry anymore. Gold prices plummeted which had an effect on gold smithing with the goldsmith gauntlets.

Living rock cavern fishing for rocktails changed high level fishing (90+). These are better money then sharks and give about the same exp as monkfish, but gain more cash. Il point out world 84 rockfish spots as an example of how high level fishing was changed.

The prayer curses made dragon bones (and loads of other bones possibly) skyrocket in price, pretty much doubling their price and still rising. Turmoil and soul split have changed how high level slayers kill monsters with prayer and have had a huge impact on boss monster hunting.

The herblore update had a huge impact with overloads and extreme potions, aswell as others. You pointed this one out though so I wont say more on those.

The runecrafting update i didnt really consider a high level update, it was more of an upgrade to the whole skill. (Some might say it was a downgrade but meh.)

The extended agility courses also gave new options to high level agility trainers as they now dont have to run around ape atoll from 75 to 99.

There havent been any more recent high level updates then those unless ive forgotten some, atleast none i consider to be high level updates.

I think Jagex will eventually come to the conclusion that they need distinct development teams for the three (or four) different combat ranges in this game. Aside from some exceptions like Quests and making sure everything still feels like one game and not four different visions. Really, I think Jagex is just understaffed to continue supplying us with quality content or updates. I think the RuneScape team at Jagex will double in size by the second quarter of 2011.

Perhaps we're looking at this too narrowly as well. Three months of poor updates compared to the past two...three...four years of fabulous updates? So really unless they go six or seven months we really can't complain. The best we can do is hope that Jagex is trying to cultivate ideas and is in the planning stages for a massive amount of content releases for the next few years, instead of just wasting months away. I hope that is what is going on, or you know, they're just focusing on that Combat Revamp that I so eagerly want to see and hopefully it drops turn-based combat in hopes for the benefits from some other system!

Yea, wishful thinking...

You sound like children who need a new toy every week or they think they have "nothing to do".

I'm sure you can guess what I tell my kids when they say that.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I think Jagex will eventually come to the conclusion that they need distinct development teams for the three (or four) different combat ranges in this game. Aside from some exceptions like Quests and making sure everything still feels like one game and not four different visions. Really, I think Jagex is just understaffed to continue supplying us with quality content or updates. I think the RuneScape team at Jagex will double in size by the second quarter of 2011.

Perhaps we're looking at this too narrowly as well. Three months of poor updates compared to the past two...three...four years of fabulous updates? So really unless they go six or seven months we really can't complain. The best we can do is hope that Jagex is trying to cultivate ideas and is in the planning stages for a massive amount of content releases for the next few years, instead of just wasting months away. I hope that is what is going on, or you know, they're just focusing on that Combat Revamp that I so eagerly want to see and hopefully it drops turn-based combat in hopes for the benefits from some other system!

Yea, wishful thinking...

Whenever I see people talking about the "good old days", I get the feeling it's about the same few things; Ancient, barrows, fire cape, GWD. :unsure:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Whenever I see people talking about the "good old days", I get the feeling it's about the same few things; Ancient, barrows, fire cape, GWD. :unsure:

Was not referencing to the good old days. Was referencing to the content updates that by themselves, and excluding what was going on at the time in RuneScape, have been of high quality on a consistent basis (four years).

And those things aren't what I remember from 'the good old days'. I remember having to walk a lot more and meeting random people doing the same thing I was doing, then adding each other as friends, and then helping each other complete whatever we were doing in the beginning. Or having no knowledge of the Wildy at all, and just wondering around waiting to come across something interesting. The Hobgoblin mine made my day so many times whenever I could find it or came across it. Lol. :/

You sound like children who need a new toy every week or they think they have "nothing to do".

I'm sure you can guess what I tell my kids when they say that.

(Are you back? I remember looking through your old site many times...I'm a forum member of your site now)

I think they're doing themselves more harm than good by updating every week. Actually, I take that back - they should be releasing an update every single week, even if it's just fixes to content or small graphical tweaks, but someone said it best when they said that they're running low on ideas. It feels like their ideas are good, but that the stuff they release is only half done...then they don't fix it (beyond the minor glitches) when it doesn't work. I think the activities thing is overdone. They should have a few activities that allow you to train all the available skills (some overlap, some that only appear in one or two activities) and choose from a set of rewards. As it is, it's too hard to find both dedicated people to train with and find pleasant and no-nonsense players to do that with.

Take a game like Castle Wars - this game should give you the ability to train all combat stats, even if it wasn't 1 for 1 as in the regular game. Stealing creation shouldn't have any combat (IMO) and should instead focus totally on resource gathering, with the "combat" coming from setting up cannons to kill resource hunters at the expense of your resources gathered. Then there should be "active skill" activities, like Tai Bwano Clean-up (or whatever it's called). That's something that you could get experience for construction (building the fence), hunter (for the animals that come out of the bush). By no means am I saying that I have the solution, but I just feel like they won't change content that they've released and then find out just doesn't work. Why we don't get construction experience for building the temple in mort myre, I don't know. It feels like the game should have 'multiple paths to 99' and that if people wanted to play an activity non-stop to get to 99, there should be a way to balance that so that someone power-training in the regular realm would get there just as fast. All these "bonus" experience items and stuff...that's fine if they could work in concert (like a whole set that always gives you the best method of training), but it's as if Jagex listens TOO much to the players knee-jerk reactions instead of coming up with new content. Why not release a different version of the barbarian assault torso as an option?

This is a bit much, I know, but I see comments about not liking the releases or complaints about the frequency all the time and I can see both sides of the argument. I think the quantity of releases would be great if it weren't for the quality of the ones I feel we've been getting.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

Was not referencing to the good old days. Was referencing to the content updates that by themselves, and excluding what was going on at the time in RuneScape, have been of high quality on a consistent basis (four years).

And those things aren't what I remember from 'the good old days'. I remember having to walk a lot more and meeting random people doing the same thing I was doing, then adding each other as friends, and then helping each other complete whatever we were doing in the beginning. Or having no knowledge of the Wildy at all, and just wondering around waiting to come across something interesting. The Hobgoblin mine made my day so many times whenever I could find it or came across it. Lol. :/

I'm not convinced of that. Personally, I've managed to compare 2009, supposedly one of the worst years, to 2005 (the year of barrows and firecape and ancient magicks), in terms of update quality and found that they are more or less the same, if you exclude simple, exhaustiable ideas.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

I like how when I even give what I think other people are thinking I get criticised by people like Qeltar as if I'm stating that what they think is actually my opinion.

Also, I agree. Bug fixes and patches should be done every week regardless of whether there is an update or not.

Awfully quiet on Twitter still ;) Hopefully next weeks update will be that '' big project'' that delayed the postbag etc.

Forums has the no update week post up

Edit:

I realised my comment didn't really relate to what you said as I posted it.

But Twitter will be quiet til sat/sun as thats when the hints usually come for the following week

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue