Firefox 3.5 - What do you think?

Jard_Y_Dooku

It's been 2 days since the Firefox 3.5 final release, so I thought I'd posting telling you all to upgrade if you haven't yet.

Among the new features are:

- Private Browsing mode (equivalent of IE8's InPrivate).

- Support for the HTML5

- Better web application performance using the new TraceMonkey JavaScript engine.

- Improvements to the Gecko layout engine, including speculative parsing for faster content rendering.

- Support for new web technologies such as: downloadable fonts, CSS media queries, new transformations and properties, JavaScript query selectors, HTML5 local storage and offline application storage, text, ICC profiles, and SVG transforms.

If you have upgraded, what do you think? Have you noticed any real speed improvements? It seems a bit faster to me I guess, and I like the standards support improvements and updates for web development (https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Firefo ... developers).

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

It's not that different from 3.0 when I use it. Firefox still 'lags' randomly every few minutes (refuses to load pages) so it's irritating and I have to resort to using to IE.. :-#

When I first used Firefox 3.5 I did notice a slight speed improvement though (until I was hit by the 'refuse to load pages' thing).

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Why don't you use Opera wongtong? ;)

Anyway, they already updated the add-ons etc? I'm still waiting a few days to make sure my add-ons are compatible.

there was a firefox 3.5?! :shock: I didn't hear anything about it until today..... so basically for all of this time they are running beta tests etc on 3.5 while i didn't know anything about it? o.O

Anyway...going to upgrade now

---upgraded...o wow...imageshack toolbar doesn't work...and i seriously think the old icon is better....Plus i think that open a new tab thing is useless, since i usually just click homepage when i want to open a new tab lol...But i do get a feeling that its slightly faster, so yah! lol :thumbsup:

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

I noticed a few bugs that weren't present on the previous versions, unsure if it's OS specific. When an applet is loaded and the dialog box comes up, asking you to allow/deny, Firefox no longer becomes the active window. I then have to minimize Firefox to the dock and open it again to regain control. Clicking does not work nor does typing until I do this.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Its been the same for me.

I haven't really noticed and positive or negative changes.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

well i just noticed a bug where firefox use up to 60% of my CPU, and it's from a tab i just opened, the page is very laggy too, theres no animation or anything, just ads and words.... So i closed the tab and opened it again, and everything is normal...never experienced that before...

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will

Do I have to re-download the themes and addons for it? Does it just update the current firefox 3.0?

Im too lazy to download all the things... -.-

Automatically updates.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

One thing for me is that it will sometimes open pages in a new firefox instead of just a new tab.

Pisses me off.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

FF 3.5 hasn't been pushed out to the Ubuntu repos yet, but I've tested it before on my machine. More or less, I feel that the performance has actually degraded rather than improved, and I don't know where they're touting speed. I probably won't be upgrading anytime soon; none of the new features are 'OMG MUST HAEV' for me right now.

It might also be way faster under the hood; I just haven't had the patience to tinker with about:config yet. Without tweaking it, though, it feels sluggish.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

One thing for me is that it will sometimes open pages in a new firefox instead of just a new tab.

Pisses me off.

go to tools>options>tabs and choose the option to open links in a new tab.

I noticed a few bugs that weren't present on the previous versions, unsure if it's OS specific. When an applet is loaded and the dialog box comes up, asking you to allow/deny, Firefox no longer becomes the active window. I then have to minimize Firefox to the dock and open it again to regain control. Clicking does not work nor does typing until I do this.

If that's the case, I won't download it for now.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Pisses me off.

That was already checked.

Edit: I realize why. When you drag a tab down a tiny bit it will open in a new window. SO I must have opened it then when switching tabs dragged down. Anyone know how to turn that off?

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Pisses me off.

That was already checked.

Edit: I realize why. When you drag a tab down a tiny bit it will open in a new window. SO I must have opened it then when switching tabs dragged down. Anyone know how to turn that off?

Unless you drag your mouse down a lot when clicking this should be no issue, as with the old model if you dragged the tab you wanted to open down then it would load on your current tab.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

You only have to drag down a tiny bit and let go.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

The tab problem happens in Chrome too.

Take away the HTML5 support and the 'new web technologies' there really isn't anything to get excited over. Firefox still feels the same, as it's not like it's improving download speeds, lawl.

But yea, it's basically catching up to Chrome and then putting one foot ahead.

I've been using 3.5 for a couple of months, but I was on the Beta. It's interesting to see how things change through out it's Beta.

I honestly don't have any problems with it. Loads fast, and still sleek and sexy.

Hide menu bar + hide Tab bar makes it sweet for browsing 8-)

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Well, decided to download and install it. Works as fast as Opera now and is compatible with most of my add-ons (I hope they will care to update them). Opera was faster than Firefox 3 on my computer. Only problem is that some of the add-ons that I liked the most don't work with the new version of Firefox (glasser, hide tab bar, etc).

It's great, but that's my opinion from switching from IE6 to Firefox 3.5. Haven't gotten any addons yet, I need to take a look at the sticky for some good ones.

Adblock +

WOT

Stumble

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.