30 albums your mother would hate but you should own anyway..

warri0r45

I thought Id try something a little different with my list and focus on a genre I love: death metal. Sorry if this isnt your kind of music, but I wouldnt be able to please everyone if I added my other favourite albums anyway. Ill try not to double up on any bands, but I cant make any promises

Human by Death

2002882848559104161_rs.jpg

This album, perhaps more than any other, is hailed as the pinnacle of death metal music, and its easy to understand why. There are plenty of hooks on this album, and the songwriting and axe-wielding skills of Chuck Schuldiner are there as always. Ill admit that I didnt like this album that much at first, but it has really grown on me as my love for death metal has. Sean Reinert and Paul Masvidal of the legendary Cynic are a welcome addition on this album.

Covenant by Morbid Angel

Morbid+Angel+Covenant.jpg

If my finger is on the pulse of death metal as I think it is, this is the only album that could justifiably rival Human for the pinnacle of the genre. Again, no prizes for picking it this is simply excellent death metal driven by some of the best instrumental performances the genre has to offer. Theres no doubting the compositional nuance and evil tone of a lot of Morbid Angels guitar work, thanks of course to Trey Azagthoth who excels on this album. And who could forget Pete Sandoval? The guy is easily one of the most talented drummers that heavy metal music has ever seen (a big claim, but Ill stand by it). Albums like Covenant and Human show that Florida is the most important scene of the death metal movement.

Winds of Creation by Decapitated

Windsofcreation.jpg

This is easily in my top five favourite albums of death metal. Everything about this album works the composition, the brutality of the drums, the technicality of the guitar, the brutal vocals and all done when these Polish kids were in their mid to late teens. As a guitarist, this album more than any other has inspired me to play death metal music, not just listen to it. Listening to that opening burst of the title track kicks off an adrenaline rush every time I hear it, and the riffs keep on coming thick and fast after that. I have to give props to Piotr Wiwczarek of Vader for the great production job too.

Leading Vision by Gorod

Gorod%2B2006.jpg

When I first heard the music of these Frenchmen, I was absolutely blown away. The technical ability of Gorods guitarists pushes death metal to a new level of credibility. Make no mistakes, though the level of complexity in no way compromises the composition or cohesiveness of their music, and Leading Vision is proof of that. Perhaps the most unbelievable aspect of this album is the amount of hooks in the music despite how technical it is. If you want catchy death metal thats flashy without being pretentious, Gorod is perfect for you.

The Conductors Departure by Anata

the-conductors-departure.jpg

Albums like this make the European scene a credible rival to the scene in Florida. The tone of this album is in itself fascinating melodic without being Gothenburg, subtly dissonant without being aurally abrasive. Again, composition is the main feature in the appeal of this album, but also noteworthy is the atmosphere generated, especially in various choruses and the beautiful instrumental Childrens Laughter. This album is another example of technical delivery without compromising character.

Unquestionable Presence by Atheist.

aup.jpg

Just like with the music of Gorod, first hearing the music of Floridian fusion-heads Atheist blew me away. The jazz-fusion death/thrash formula was revolutionary for the burgeoning death metal scene of the time and inspired countless artists of extreme and experimental music alike, some say spawning the subgenre technical death metal itself. The unique sound and solid direction coupled with the wailing lead guitar of Kelly Shaefer make this album, as well as Atheists two other albums, massively appealing.

Focus by Cynic

818.jpg

In a similar vein to Atheist, Cynic laid their claim to fame with a unique jazz-fusion interpretation of death/thrash metal, albeit in more of a progressive form. Focus, released in 1993, was their one and only album until their reformation and the release of Traced In Air last year. The almost unrivaled talent of Paul Masvidal on guitar makes this album what it is technically brilliant, well structured and visionary.

Legion by Deicide

Deicide+Legion.jpg

Legion is a complete change in pace from the last two albums, thats for sure. This is 29 minutes of frantic, no holds barred death metal. The satanic themes and booming vocals of Glen Benton should make any concerned mother scream in horror. Those aspects, as well as the furious pace of the music, make this album a testament to extreme metal.

Effigy of the Forgotten by Suffocation

folder.jpg

Effigy of the Forgotten is an absolute gem from New Yorks finest death metal band. Back in the early nineties, these guys saw the growing death metal movement and thought f*** this, it isnt brutal enough! As a result of their willingness to push the boundaries of what was considered music and what was considered noise (although its not like proper society would acknowledge Death or Morbid Angel as real music anyway), Suffocation spawned what would later be known as brutal death metal the hardest, most confronting incarnation of the genre. This was both a blessing and a curse, because as well as forging a new path for themselves, Suffocation inspired countless copy-cat bands which consistently failed to reach the mark that they had set. Lets not forget their technical ability either along with bands like Atheist, some credit Suffocation with developing technical death metal as well. The brutality of Effigy of the Forgotten is built on the hyper-fast drums and tremolo picking contrasted with slower tempo breakdowns.

Testimony of the Ancients by Pestilence

pesti.JPG

I was tossing up between this album or Consuming Impulse, but ultimately I like this one a little better. Who would have thought that after such a raw and aggressive debut that Pestilence would take inspiration from Atheist and Cynic and do something with fusion/prog influences? Not me, but the result is seriously impressive. This album stands as one of my favorites of the genre due to its great songs and characteristic style.

Elvenefris by Lykathea Alfame

1220644405_9989.jpg

The grandeur and epic vision of Elvenefris give me chills. Being atmospheric/progressive metal punctuated by brutal deathgrind, its not the easiest music to get into, but when you do its a very rewarding experience. The distinctly Eastern European flavour of the songwriting (they are from the Czech Republic, after all) along with the melodic, progressive and atmospheric aspects gives Elvenefris a very unique sound. The drumming on this album is simply astounding as well. A must for anyone who is tired of the same old death metal formulas and wants something a bit more unique.

The Erosion of Sanity by Gorguts

Gorguts+-+The+Erosion+Of+Sanity+(1993).jpg

Ill admit that this is another of those albums that was hard for me to get into, but when I got used to the very unique approach to death metal that these Canadians have, I found it to be a very enjoyable listen. The same applies for their next album, Obscura, although its much more experimental than The Erosion of Sanity. Dissonance and unconventional composition are the most obvious features of this album, but as with most Gorguts music, the drums seem to be the glue that keeps it all together in a somewhat logical arrangement.

Hopeless Hopes by Martyr

Cover.jpg

Speaking of Canadians, these guys are fantastic. Their debut Hopeless Hopes, along with their second album Warp Zone, are standouts in technical death metal. Although not as ambitious as the latter, Hopeless Hopes is an album that I cant fault in any way whatsoever. Its hard to choose one over the other, but I started with Hopeless Hopes and its had a lasting impact unlike most of the death metal Ive heard.

Hackled in Gore by Scrambled Defuncts

Every so often in my quest for finding new death metal, an album comes along that completely knocks me off my feet, and Hackled in Gore is such an album. Its brutal/technical death metal like Suffocation, but the genre is where the similarity stops. These guys arent one of the Suffocation clones I was talking about earlier through the frantic and varied guitar phrasing and brutal-as-hell drums (which I recently learned were programmed, but oh well, theyre still arranged very well), Scrambled Defuncts have managed to forge a unique style appealing to a person with picky tastes like me. Its definitely an album which isnt as popular as it should be.

Nespithe by Demilich

1037.jpg

In many ways, Demilich pathed the way for what Gorguts would later master obscure, experimental death metal. Their one and only album Nespithe has become a cult classic since its release in 1993, perhaps due to its unique yet oddly appealing style. With crazy song titles like The Planet That Once Used to Absorb Flesh in Order to Achieve Divinity and Immortality (Suffocated to the Flesh That It Desired...) and rather weird lyrics, you might guess that the music must be a little peculiar, and it is. Having said that, I find it has a little more structure and sense to it than Gorguts, not detracting from them in any way. Another notable aspect of Demilich are the very unique guttural vocals, which adds to the gloomy atmosphere that the music generates.

Retribution by Malevolent Creation

Malevolent+Creation+-+Retribution.jpg

This is another of those albums that blew me away the moment I heard it. In the same vein of Legion by Decide, the tone of this album is pretty frantic, but its not as fast as Legion is. That comparison aside, the one word I would use to describe this album is balls. It has massive cojones, and delivers some of the most uncompromising death metal that Ive heard.

Psalms of the Moribund by Defeated Sanity

Defeated+Sanity+-+Psalms+of+The+Moribund+(2007).jpg

When it comes to brutality, not many bands can compete with Defeated Sanity. Pslams of the Moribund is short, clocking in at 29 minutes, but every song on this album packs a whopping punch. I wouldnt recommend it to those that want hooks in every song, but its become one of those albums I like to play if I just want to listen to brutal music. Defeated Sanity seems an apt name for this band.

Crown of Souls by Deeds of Flesh

1211996950_07.jpg

Im a bit of a latecomer when it comes to Deeds of Flesh, because theyve been around for some time and are fairly well known in the death metal community. So with little knowledge of what to expect, I checked out the album Crown of Souls and was very impressed. The technical riffing, brutal drumming and tempo changes all make for an appealing brutal death metal album. It takes a while to find it, but this brutal style of death metal can offer some great music.

Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious by Carcass

Carcass+-+Necroticism+descanting+the+insalubrious+FLM.jpg

Necroticism came at a time when this grindcore-turned-melodeath band was most true to the original style of death metal. While you might think such a dynamic band wouldnt have the time to build a solid understanding of the genre theyre playing, youd be wrong. Necroticism is a very well composed album with some killer riffs that get stuck in your head. Surely a staple in the Ipod of serial killers with a penchant for scalpels, bone saws and botched surgery.

Masticate to Dominate by Gorgasm

Masticate to Dominate is brutal death metal done right. So sick and twisted even those into Deicide may be turned off by it. The best thing about this album is you guessed it composition. Anything that is arranged in a consistent, coherent and interesting way Ill like, so I like this album.

Onset of Putrefaction by Necrophagist

Necrophagist+-+Onset+Of+Putrefaction+-+Front(2).jpg

Necrophagist is another band that I checked out way too late, but Im glad I eventually did. These guys are at the forefront of modern death metal and are well know by fans of the genre. Highly technical and brutal, this isnt music for the feint of heart. I instantly fell in love with the choppy, mechanical riffing and brilliant solos of Muhammed Suiçmez when I heard this album; hes a very talented guitarist, perhaps one of the most talented the genre has ever seen.

Tomb of the Mutilated by Cannibal Corpse

No death metal list would be complete without a bit of Cannibal Corpse. Whatever your opinion of their music is, they have been massively influential and a rare success in a largely underground genre. With classics like Hammer Smashed Face and I [bleep] Blood, Tomb of the Mutilated has staying power and has become my favourite Cannibal Corpse album.

Sermon Of Mockery by Pyrexia

Pyrexia+-+Sermon+of+Mockery.jpg

I have to admit that the early work of these guys, in particular Sermon Of Mockery, is highly reminiscent of Suffocation. Having said that, its imitation done right and I just think theres something about this album that puts it above the other imitators. Like Effigy of the Forgotten, the contrast between fast passages and breakdowns forms the brutal sound. Tempo change is a big aspect of much death metal music, especially so in brutal death metal.

Akeldama by The Faceless

faceless_akeldama.jpg

I think some metal fans are too hard on core genres sometimes. Its obvious that people on the metal archives are criticising The Faceless just because they have some deathcore elements to their music. It doesnt bother me, though, because these guys are a serious contender for a best new talent award (not that there is one for death metal). The songwriting is fresh and interesting and the drums are fast and brutal. Just like Necrophagist, The Faceless is built on impressive, accurate guitar work. They deserve all the popularity they get as far as Im concerned.

The End Complete by Obituary

arton439.jpg

While many Obituary fans would choose Cause of Death over The End Complete, Im not one of them. Sure, Cause of Death is excellent, I just like The End Complete better. Its fair to say that Obituary are leaders, not imitators, and they led the way with their sludgy, groove-oriented style of death metal in the late 80s and early 90s.

The Ultimate Incantation by Vader

01TheUltimateIncantation1992.jpg

These guys were at the forefront of the development of death metal in Europe, and The Ultimate Incantation is their first album. In music, some people just have it the ability to write music thats unique but sticks in your head. Piotr "Peter" Wiwczarek, previously mentioned as the producer of Decapitateds album Winds of Creation, is such a person.

Empire of the Obscene by Revocation

Empire+Of+The+Obscene+(2008).jpg

Perhaps another contender for a best new talent award, Revocation is yet another band that immediately appealed to me when I first heard them. Their brand of death/thrash metal is effortlessly aggressive and the talent of the guitarist makes this album an easy listen. As with any good metal album, there are plenty of good riffs and great drumming to accentuate them. The solos are impossible to ignore as well. Anyone who doesnt like the overbearing brutality of death metal should at least check these guys out.

The Scepter of the Ancients by Psycroptic

file_2_37.jpg

Although Im not the biggest fan of Psycroptic, I feel it would be unpatriotic of me not to include them on this list. Having said that, their second album, Scepter of the Ancients, is a very good death metal album. The talent of the Haley brothers (Joe on guitar and David on drums) is on full display here, as it is in all Psycroptic music.

Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel

Morbid%2BAngel%2B-%2BAltars%2BOf%2BMadness%2B(1989).jpg

I know I said Id try not to double up on any bands, but these last two are special exceptions. The first of the final two albums Ill share with you is Altars of Madness, Morbid Angels first album, released in 1989. Everything about this album is appealing to me the raw and aggressive riffs, the well composed songs, the evil imagery and, of course, the drumming. I suppose Altars of Madness was something to be expected when death metal was in its earliest, purest form, free of any copy-cat bands that merely go along for the ride rather than lead the way. Morbid Angel are leaders, not followers. Ive had the pleasure of seeing them play many of the songs from this album live in concert, and it was great. The fact that this album resonates with fans 20 years after its release goes to show how good it is.

Scream Bloody Gore by Death

598.jpg

Its amazing how much death metal has to thank this album for. Scream Bloody Gore was one of the first death metal albums ever released (in 1987), and it defined the blueprint of the genre. The fierce guitars, the fast drums, and of course that characteristic Chuck Schuldiner howl showed the world what death metal really was. Its only in retrospect that we can look back and pinpoint legendary albums like this. Did Chuck and his bandmates know how much of an impact their music would have back in the 80s? I think not. But it did, and here I am putting it on my list as one of my favourite death metal albums of all time. Make no mistake, though, this album isnt merely here for sentimental reasons. Its brilliant, plain and simple.

Chuck Schuldiner had that special thing I talked about, and its a shame he died because he gave so much to so many people and he only had more to offer. Very few bands will be so good that Ill buy their entire back catalogue, but Death with 7 studio albums in their 17 year history are one of those bands. R.I.P. Chuck.

propaganda-metallica-vip-blog-com-283548ChuckSchuldiner.jpg

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed it. I enjoyed writing it Ill PM the next person later.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Death Metal isn't really my thing (in fact I haven't even heard any of the music on that list) but I do like the different approach to the list. Nice job on keeping things fresh.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Nice list!

Altars of Madness is one of my favorite albums (and i guess many others too).

Don't know if you know of any bands from Sweden, but i can recommend you a couple of "classics": Grave, Entombed, Dismember (a personal favorite), Unleashed and Bloodbath.

Hehe, i'm still waiting on my turn to write a list.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Nice list!

Don't know if you know of any bands from Sweden, but i can recommend you a couple of "classics": Grave, Entombed, Dismember (a personal favorite), Unleashed and Bloodbath.

I've checked out a lot of the stuff by those bands, but nothing has cought my interest significantly, perhaps apart from Grave (first album is good) and another band called Carnage. I don't really like the buzzy guitar tone that Swedish death metal seems to use a lot.

Nice list!

I've checked out a lot of the stuff by those bands, but nothing has cought my interest significantly, perhaps apart from Grave (first album is good) and another band called Carnage. I don't really like the buzzy guitar tone that Swedish death metal seems to use a lot.

Yeah i suppose. Some music is easier if you've "grown up" with it.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Hehe, about 5 of those would be on my list.

I have heard most of them, or if not heard it, I know the artist.

:thumbup: Good list.

I would have put all the Gorod albums on there even if you were trying not to double up. :lol:

They are just so [bleep]ing good. I haven't heard one bad review of them.

Oh and about MA being hard on the faceless :lol:

They are hard on everything. stick -core on to anything and the ratings will be like 0%

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Oh, Warriors have you listened to Thronar.

You might like them even though they're folk-ish metal.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Yep. My mum really would hate this list. :lol:

Does your mum like the music you listen to?

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Thanks for the complements everyone.

I would have put all the Gorod albums on there even if you were trying not to double up. :lol:

They are just so [bleep] good. I haven't heard one bad review of them.

It was definitely tempting. I could easily blow this list out to 50 if I was going to double up some more, and Gorod's other two would be there for sure.

Oh, Warriors have you listened to Thronar.

You might like them even though they're folk-ish metal.

Nope, I'll chek them out.

Demigod by Behemoth is a great death metal album.

:o Unrelated, but you jogged my memory - I completely forgot about Slumber Of Sullen Eyes by Demigod.

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=2644

As for Behemoth, I've tried to get into them, but to no avail. I'll give Demigod a real proper listen before I judge fully though.

Nespithe is awesome.

Definitely. Hey, I know you like Obscura, but what do you think about Gorguts' other albums?

Hey, I know you like Obscura, but what do you think about Gorguts' other albums?
They don't really click with me quite as much as Obscura does. They're good albums, but I place Obscura at the pinnacle of death metal perfection. I remember listening to it for the first time and having my mind completely blown. Clouded is an amazing song.

The lack of at least one tool album surprised me.

What with the tool avvy and siggy. :lol:

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

The lack of at least one tool album surprised me.

What with the tool avvy and siggy. :lol:

He specified that he only wanted to do a list of his favorite Death Metal albums rather than his favorite all-around albums.

Oh this is fantastic, I've been wanting to get into Death Metal a bit more.

Seconding this sentiment. The biggest (and only) trouble I have with DM is getting past the throaty singing. This thread will be my go-to spot when I do decide to take the time to get into it though.

Only bands from the list I've listened to is Cynic and Death, and I really love their music.

2009rb9.jpg

Seconding this sentiment. The biggest (and only) trouble I have with DM is getting past the throaty singing. This thread will be my go-to spot when I do decide to take the time to get into it though.

Only bands from the list I've listened to is Cynic and Death, and I really love their music.

Im pretty sure you would like Atheist.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Yeah I've been meaning to give them a shot, but they're not available on Spotify yet.

2009rb9.jpg

Yeah I've been meaning to give them a shot, but they're not available on Spotify yet.

You can check them out on Myspace. Alternately, all their stuff is on YouTube. If you can find the time, search for any of their songs and they'll be there to check out.