How Often Do You Restart?

Laura

I'm just curious, how often do you restart or shutdown your computer? As iStat counts it, my computer has been on for almost 33 days. Just started over because of updates, though.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shut it down almost evey night and start it every morning.

Doing my bit to save the planet :mrgreen:

I'll restart whenever I've updated my computer, or installed an application that requires/instigates a restart.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

I shut it down almost evey night and start it every morning.

I do this.

I cant really sleep with it on because of the leds.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I turn it off every night and turn it on every morning because I don't have a need to have it on while I'm sleeping.

I restart it if it craps out (hardly ever) or if I need to restart for new programs.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

You should turn it off; 1 - save energy, 2 - flush ram.

I turn it off every night, otherwise i exit it in sleep-mode.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I use to just put it in standby when i had a 680i on the Striker Extreme. It would have CMOS issues on boot up time. Later issues even greater lead me to RMA that board they sent me a Striker II Formula which has the 780i. I don't do standby anymore. I don't leave it on either as my room will get about 85-90F and it also eats power. I do leave my laptops on all the time though.

You should turn it off; 1 - save energy, 2 - flush ram.

I turn it off every night, otherwise i exit it in sleep-mode.

I just put it to sleep. 50kWh annually under idle usage which amounts to maybe five pounds a year.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

I shut it down almost every night and start it every morning.

Same. My parents get pissed if I even leave a light on while not needing it, let alone an electricity guzzling PC.

~~Chaise91~~

I turn it off every night, and re boot every morning. Dad gets grumpy if I don't, which is fair enough.

I only restart when I get told to. Other than that, never. Unless my Laptop is screwed of course...

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I have no real reason to leave my machine on, unless I torrent a DVD ISO of Linux, be it Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. Otherwise, I always turn my PC off.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Same. My parents get pissed if I even leave a light on while not needing it, let alone an electricity guzzling PC.

A street light will use up more electricity in one night than your pc will in its whole lifetime, but even that amount is tiny in comparison to the electricity that is wasted traveling from the power plant to your house.

I restart my computer after installing software, etc., but otherwise I put it to sleep when I'm not using it.

I run Folding@Home GPU2 and SMP Clients 24/7, so my computer only goes off if I:

A: obtain new hardware

B: system requires it for updates

C: go about some sort of case modification.

Foooman.png

does it harm the computer if you turn it off at night and turn it on during the day?
Not in time you'll be using the computer.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

does it harm the computer if you turn it off at night and turn it on during the day?

No.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

If you have a really old computer, keeping it on is better for the circuitry, iirc, but modern computers it's no big deal.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Not at all. It's actually better on it as it cools overnight.

A street light will use up more electricity in one night than your pc will in its whole lifetime, but even that amount is tiny in comparison to the electricity that is wasted traveling from the power plant to your house.

I restart my computer after installing software, etc., but otherwise I put it to sleep when I'm not using it.

I have trouble believing that bit about a street light using more electricity then a computer.

~~Chaise91~~