Girls Don't Exist on Runescape

meili

From my experience, it seems like the average age for a female player is much higher than the average male player. Of course I haven't exactly taken a survey, so this could be far off.

Perhaps I'm suffering confirmation bias but I have thought that as well.

On another note: It's a Dragon Kilt thank you very much!

Furthermore: Yes they are certainly out there. My oldest RS friend who I still talk to (from way back in the RS1 days) is a girl in real life.

Orioles8.png asciibacon.jpg

Orioles8.png

mostorganized2.jpg

*~72,749th to 99 Attack on 9 September 2009~*

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of people HERE on Tip It agree that girls/women do play RS. Try asking the people in game! <3:

The people who are smart enough to actually find Tip It and post here are smarter than you average RS player. Heck, even compared to other fansites/fanforums, Tip It has a higher average IQ, age and proportion of females posting. :)

Let me throw something in here as a 30 something male that played a female character for over a year. I turned my character into a woman for Recruitment Drive and didn't turn it back for a long time. It honestly just never occurred to me to. Years and years ago my Dungeons and Dragons character was a female druid and I didn't think anything weird about my rs character being a woman while I'm a male. I mean, she could also summon the power of Mighty Guthix through a magic staff she had been given deep in the Wilderness and could shoot magical arrows out of a crystal bow given her by a group of wandering elves...not exactly a good representative of who I am IRL regardless.

Then one day my wife looked over my shoulder and basically told me that with all the weirdos on the Internet I needed to change Diefladermas back to a guy. So, I did. I went through my friends list and found that over half of them thought I was a woman IRL. Most of them had figured out I "wasn't 13" I guess because of the way I talk. But about half assumed I was a girl because I wore a Dragon Skirt. None were angry or anything, most had a laugh.

Just throwing my story out there. I'm sure there are a lot of gamers who don't care what gender their character is since it's a fantasy video game anyway. Heck, if you're a guy you have to change your gender just to complete a fairly important quest anyways.

Elvarg the Magic Dragon, Lives by the sea...

He spends his days eating folk, And dies occasionally

Champion-Hero-Legend

Theres plenty of girls that do play rs. And theres plenty of idiots out there that don't think so/are immature. And theres many out there that pretend to be girls which can also ruin it for guys believing you. But yeah I'd just ignore those who don't believe you after all it's an online game and you really shouldn't care too much about what random peps online think about you.

6590ew.jpg

All the female characters on my friends list I know are female. Some of them have even posted on this thread lol. I know that Suzi_Angel is female too because I sit next to her on the sofa when we play hehe.

There are also a couple of people on my friends list who play as female characters but are male, they have never pretended to be girls in-game, at least to me.

A funny thing that I saw the other day in Varrock was two female characters arguing. One of them eventually admitted to be a 13 year old male and then the other female character laughed at him and continued to give some abuse. A short while later this character then started bragging to the 13 year old about how much they can bench press. The argument became heated and tt soon became clear that both characters were male, playing as females, arguying that they were more "manly" than the other. I just "lol"ed and went on my way.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Like said before, I agree wholeheartedly that the thread subject is a ridiculous statement, but...

The majority of people HERE on Tip It agree that girls/women do play RS. Try asking the people in game! <3:

You assume too much meili, in game most of the time 50% of my online friends are female, and that's not because I read tip.it. Populations' behavior does not compare that way.

The people who are smart enough to actually find Tip It and post here are smarter than you average RS player. Heck, even compared to other fansites/fanforums, Tip It has a higher average IQ, age and proportion of females posting. :)

Please! Go back to school and take some statistics classes. You could just as well say that smokers have, on average, a lower IQ than non-smokers; still giving any selection of smokers, you can find another selection of non-smokers that is less intelligent.

Or in the form of a joke: "The statistician waded through a stream with an average depth of 30 centimeters... He drowned!

I think the reason why people go like "Pics or it didn't happen" is because a lot of players use the genderchange feature in the game. Or they are just immature little kids who make fun of girls.

Otherwise, I see absolutely no reason why people would just pick on girl players in RS. It's just sexist, girls DO play Runescape. In fact just about everybody does.

Nice read, I agree with this thread.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Well you have to remember there is a large amount of young people in this game & you have to expect this kind of behaviour from young boys.

My best friend (irl) is Female & she started playing after she saw her kids playing the game, I've meet lots of people in my life that are female & play RuneScape, only once have I said "no naked pic's no proof" but that was as a joke. (No I didn't get the desired pictures)

One of the main factors of this is that it angers people, I think it is used much in the same way as the word "noob" more as an insult then for the real meaning, many of the people saying your not a real girl might just be using this to get a rise from the intended target or just to insult them. At the end of the day I always presume that somebody is the same sex as there character until told otherwise.

There was once a video made by a girl I know called "Girls do play RuneScape" a live video of her saying she plays & after that there where still comments saying someone made you make this video.. hilarious.

Take it as a compliment, they obviously think your far to beautiful to be sitting at a computer lol, I mean because only ugly nerds play games right?... Right?

there are TONS of girl pmods... alot of them are better than the guys... *grumble grubmle...*

Rogue Palko... Quest Cape since 2006... Player since 2001.... And Bored Player Mod...

Rogue_Palko.png

[hide=skill goals if you're interested...]

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

Rogue Palko.png

[/hide]

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this has been already posted, can't be bothered to read through every single post right now.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_17/109-OMG-Girlz-Dont-Exist-on-teh-Intarweb-1

Btw I think most (if not all) of the people on my friends list are guys.

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

What's a girl?

A guy in real life. Did this really deserve a topic? No one takes those stupid jokes seriously.

I think the reason why people go like "Pics or it didn't happen" is because a lot of players use the genderchange feature in the game. Or they are just immature little kids who make fun of girls.

Otherwise, I see absolutely no reason why people would just pick on girl players in RS. It's just sexist, girls DO play Runescape. In fact just about everybody does.

Nice read, I agree with this thread.

In fact just about no one plays Runescape.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Woot I haven't played in ages but GO GIRLS!! <3

Way to necro a thread with a useless comment at that

inb4udidthesamething

We can clearly tell who doesn't have a girl ..... LOL

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

I think it's not just RS that suffer this kind of reaction, many other online games too. Its kind of disappointing that people tend to think that way because like many other said, other people posing as female players. I think on one side, it doesn't matter if you are female or male behind that pixel. Overall, its actually worse sometimes that people know you are female in RL (and they start pestering you afterward). I been playing online first person shooting games where if one female actually talk, the entire chat box of audio chat would be filled with comments right away. Imagine that kind of scale on RS with so many people there.

It's just like how higher level will always be perceived as they have no life, 40 yrs old, and live in their mom's basement. I been since weary of those comments and use it as laughing materials in my own circle of friends.

Girls do exist on RS, but I don't think gender matters that much, your own character should be acknowledge through your own achievement and how you treat other players with respect. That's just my two bits.

a happy Runescaper

Male players, female players... heck they are all players. :roll:

I don't see why people want to make fun of girls. They are probably some immature kid who is "looking for a gf".

And about the high-level thing, don't you think that's kinda disrespectful to the high level?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Male players, female players... heck they are all players. :roll:

I don't see why people want to make fun of girls. They are probably some immature kid who is "looking for a gf".

And about the high-level thing, don't you think that's kinda disrespectful to the high level?

Oh, I am a high level myself and other friends on my friend list, and we always joke about this kind of stuff because majority of the people are so stereotypical about high levels (we don't get there over night, some of us work several years or months to get there). If I have 5 gp for people who made those rude high lvl insulting comment, I would have a small fortune by now. That's kind of joke me and my friends used to make.

Its a very common occurrence in online game where people often stereotype others in one particular group, not the first, and won't be the last, as long as you play, it will always happen to you. People in one particular group either respond badly to it, or they simply shrugged it off (which me and my friend usually do, and rely on ignore list for that). I have high level friend who got insulted repeatedly in Clan wars because he keep beating everyone , and he end up swearing and got reported, but he said it was worth it for those black marks since he simply cant stand those kind of comments.

a happy Runescaper

I think all female characters on the game should only be allowed to do the cooking, crafting, and plant flowers for the farming skill.

Wow... how stereotypical of you. <_<

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

I think all female characters on the game should only be allowed to do the cooking, crafting, and plant flowers for the farming skill.

Wow... how stereotypical of you. <_<

Just trying to piss people off lol.

Sleep on...fly on.

In your mind, you can fly.

Gigatiran.png

IRON MY SHIRT!!

LMAO!!!

yaya right after you take out the garbage and hand over your paycheque. Then we'll talk ok?

P.S.

Don't forget, with one of "these" I can get all of "those" I want

(winkwink nudgenudge)

Now *that*, gentlemen, is definitely a woman. Take notes, and be aware of your surroundings ... this is the real deal. :thumbsup:

I couldn't stomach much more of the thread after about page 5-6. The well-known Internet meme "there are no women on the internet", combined with the pseudo-macho narcissistic attitudes of over-stimulated young teenage boys, and, very sadly, the schemes of sicko posers, have contributed to make the 'Net, and the games on it, especially the popular ones, very much like a minefield for nice and normal people.

I'm happy to say that, in spite of the difficulties, I've met several nice and normal folks. Some of the most reliable friends to chat with are/claim to be women. I don't doubt it, in most cases.

And I *never* ask for evidence. A real man, if he knows one woman, will learn to tell the others in time.

Meili, and ladies in general: I'm sorry for the way you're often treated. <3: I'll try to *never* do that. And, it's not all my fault :blink:

Retired Player Moderator - Light Arcana General

Egbert_O_Foo.png

:shame:

I think you should take one out to the Duel Arena. A very high-leveled lady.

And then, the winner should tell the loser what he/she can/cannot do. :rolleyes:

Retired Player Moderator - Light Arcana General

Egbert_O_Foo.png